PDA

View Full Version : Best stove w/msr type refilable bottle

Dogginfox
01-26-2004, 16:13
What is the best stove that uses the msr type bottles that you can refill?

01-26-2004, 16:20
We have used the whiperlite for years. I think it was 4-5 years old when we thru-hiked. We had little problems. We also have a Peak as a back up. It is nice but still prefer my whisperlite. MSR also has great customer support. When we hiked our stove pre-dated the shaker jet, and when we had problems with it clogging in Vt. They sent us the upgrade to swap out the old system.

Mike Drinkuth
01-26-2004, 22:48
Sorry to disagree with ya PROFILE but I HATE my whisperlite! My nickname for it is the MSR "Loudandheavy". I can't get the thing to work for me with ANY degree of regularity! Priming the cup with shaking hands in the morning is just about the most frustrating thing going. I have no other suggestions for canister stoves because I switched to a homemade alcohol stove after a few bad experiences with my whisperlite. That's just me, though!

Alligator
01-26-2004, 23:38
I've had my Simmerlite for about a year now and have had no problems with it whatsoever. Simmer control is good, but depends on keeping adequate pressure in the bottle when attempting low simmers. As far as I know, it is the lightest white gas stove on the market. Noise is moderately loud, depends on what you are used to. It would be a rocket compared to an alcohol stove, but is much quieter than the Dragonfly. Price is reasonable. Given the choice between a Whisperlite, Simmerlite, and Dragonfly, I would take the Simmerlite, as I have used all three.

steve hiker
01-27-2004, 00:40
I also have a Simmerlite. Chose it for the weight savings over the Whisperlite (8 oz. compared to 12). I've also had a Whisperlite, and find the Simmerlite boils water about as fast. But I don't simmer, so can't comment on that.

Also have a trangia alcohol stove, but use white gas only this time of the year.

celt
01-27-2004, 07:01
I've used both the Whisperlite and Simmerlite on long distance trips and never had any troubles. I would second all the good things said by the previous posters. I would add that they are both among the most efficient gas stoves I've used and seen. I've regularly gotten ten days use from my 11 ounce bottle, cooking breakfast and dinner.

Jaybird
01-27-2004, 07:51
i had a MSR Whisperlite stove & used it for awhile.....then i gave it away....too heavy.

i now use only the MSR PocketRocket!
(& i LOVE it!) :p

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004!

Peaks
01-27-2004, 10:15
I'll cast my vote for the simmerlite, but I don't have one myself.

To Mike, who thinks the whisperlite is loud, I suggest that you try the Svea stove. There's a stove that gives you an appreciation for the sound of silence.

The whisperlite has been a commonly used stove for the past decade or so. The simmerlite should be an improvement over the whisperlite. But, since I'm now using alcohol most of the time, I'm not going to spend the money on a simmerlite until I see the need for it. If I were to replace my whisperlite with a white gas stove, it would be the simmerlite.

01-27-2004, 10:29
I am glad you guys brought up the simmering. I have not used the simmerlite but I can simmer with my whisperlite. It took awhile to figure it out but now it works with little problem. The way to simmer is not to pump the fuel bottle way up. I pump it up just enough to rapid boil water. Then as the pressure/flame gets smaller it allows me to simmer. I just pump once or twice when the flame gets to low.

It works for me.