PDA

View Full Version : Planning for the AT

neonfrog
01-27-2004, 02:37
Exactly how much planning is necessary for hiking the AT? I'm the type of person who wakes up on a day off, grabs my pack, crams some stuff into it and disappears for a few days. I probably couldn't plan a mail drop to save my life. I know I can spend months sleeping on the ground, taking a shower every week or so. I do this every summer. If I just show up at Springer Mt. and start hiking, wander into town to resupply and just hike to my heart's content, could I possibly make it. Physical and mental conditioning is no object, I'm somewhat of an introvert, hiking with people is strange to me. can I just learn along the way? Honestly, I really suck at planning. Thanks

http://www.yosemitegallery.net

screwysquirrel
01-27-2004, 03:22
Go for it, you'll never know but you'll probably do pretty good. My first time out I was totally unprepared for this and after a month of no planning, not knowing nothing about hiking on the AT, I lost 45 lbs. and looked like a concentration camp survivor. Had the wrong stove, pack, sleeping bag, food, tent and shoes. Was I ever the fool, but that was just me. I did get a lot of knowing looks and sympathy, for which I'll always be grateful for.

Doctari
01-27-2004, 06:51
Some have made it all the way with no planning, just a pack & gear & a few buck$.
Some have thier hike planned down to the amount of mole skin they will use per mile.
Most fall somewhere in between. A rough Idea where to resupply &/or do mail drops, what gear is needed, how much money to budget (usually on a X dollars per mile basis).

If you are that bad at planning, there are a few "Planning guides" out there: Wingfoot has one, & I think Frank & Victoria Louge have one, they can help you with the details. If you are hitting the trail with no planning, perhaps at least carry wingfoots guide so you will know where to get food :)

Any way you choose has worked in the past, and as Squirrel says: "Go for it"

Dont worry, it's only hiking :jump

Doctari.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2004, 07:08
Yup. You can do it just as you described. I've known lots of folks that did it that way. Hiking the AT is very easy logistically.

Blue Jay
01-27-2004, 08:40
Most plans are thrown away 15 minutes after you start. How can you plan for something you could not possibly have any idea about. What works for others has no bearing on what works for you. Just go for it and be flexable.

chris
01-27-2004, 08:40
Grab the Companion off the web, get your pack, and go hiking. Resupply as you go and think about picking up maps along the way if you see fit. If you have the gear already and know how to use it, and can get the time off, the AT is quick to get out on for a long time.

Peaks
01-27-2004, 10:08
I'm an advocate of planning. Since you asked, here is what I want you to do.

First, recognize that the best you can do is make a baseline plan. Things are going to change as you go along. You will find yourself hiking more, or less depending on how you feel, what the weather is, who is hiking with you, and several other factors. But, with a baseline schedule, your family and friends should have some idea of roughly where you expect to be when.

So, start by making some assumptions. Like, x miles per day, and hiking 6 days per week.

Then, get the AT Data Book and using your assumptions, start figuring out where you might camp each night.

Then, start figuring out where you are going to resupply. Start with the obvious, and then fill in from there. For example, in New Hampshire, it's a no-brainer to resupply in Hanover. Also, Gorham. Now, most people do a maildrop at Glencliff. So, Hanover to Glencliff is 40 plus miles, and probably 3 days. No intermediate resupply needed. However, Glencliff to Gorham is 100 miles, and 7 to 9 days. So, unless you want to carry that weight of food, consider a resupply in between. Your options include Pinkham Notch, right on the trail, but still 6 to 8 days from Glencliff. Other options are Franconia Notch (North Woodstock), and Crawford Notch (Campground store). Both of these require a hitch. So, do you resupply at one of these places, or both, or none? Make some decisions, and plan accordingly.

Now that you have the first draft, set it aside and read Wingfoot's Handbook or the ALDHA Companion. Some places are better for resupply then others. So, change you plan accordingly. Also, check your overall schedule. For example, if part of your criteria is hiking up to 20 miles per day, then don't expect to do 140 miles per week. You will probably offset the big days with days between 12 and 15 miles.

The schedule isn't going to be perfect. But, it's going to tell you that you plan to take about say 7, 8 or 9 days to go from Glencliff to Gorham.

gravityman
01-27-2004, 11:42
We planned. Not crazy planned, like were we were camping each night from GA to ME, but all our town stops and mail drops. And the first month of camping. Boy, were we wrong. Mail drops were a waste of money. But I am stubburn, and insisted we stick with the plan, regardless of weather and how we were feeling. That lasted until Newfound gap, where we made our first unscheduled town stop. After that the hike was A LOT more fun. We would just plan out the next section of trail from the town we were in and then get food. We knew what we would need food wise, we knew what we could do miles wise, and it felt a lot more natural.

The most important thing is to be flexible. Sounds like you will be.

Have fun!

Gravity Man

Blue Jay
01-27-2004, 11:58
Then, get the AT Data Book and using your assumptions, start figuring out where you might camp each night.

Then, start figuring out where you are going to resupply. Start with the obvious, and then fill in from there. For example, in New Hampshire, it's a no-brainer to resupply in Hanover. Also, Gorham. Now, most people do a maildrop at Glencliff. So, Hanover to Glencliff is 40 plus miles, and probably 3 days. No intermediate resupply needed. However, Glencliff to Gorham is 100 miles, and 7 to 9 days. So, unless you want to carry that weight of food, consider a resupply in between. Your options include Pinkham Notch, right on the trail, but still 6 to 8 days from Glencliff. Other options are Franconia Notch (North Woodstock), and Crawford Notch (Campground store). Both of these require a hitch. So, do you resupply at one of these places, or both, or none? Make some decisions, and plan accordingly.

Now that you have the first draft, set it aside and read Wingfoot's Handbook or the ALDHA Companion.

Peaks give the guy a break. He's going to start in Geogia and you want him to know what he's going to do in NH. I know engineer's heads explode if you do not know exactly what you are going to do each minute of the day but clearly he is not an engineer. :confused:

U-BOLT
01-27-2004, 12:19
Peaks give the guy a break... I know engineer's heads explode if you do not know exactly what you are going to do each minute of the day but clearly he is not an engineer. :confused:
Give engineers a break. For they truly are the ears of the engine.

max patch
01-27-2004, 12:21
You don't need to plan. Take the Data Book and you can figure it out as you go. When I started I knew my first resupply was going to be at Neels Gap. That was the extent of my planning.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2004, 12:21
Baselines, first drafts, schedules. A great way to start an adventure. That's how Lewis and Clark did it. :cool:

U-BOLT
01-27-2004, 12:40
I know engineer's heads explode if you do not know exactly what you are going to do each minute of the day but clearly he is not an engineer. :confused:You put the apostrophe in the wrong place. The possessive plural of engineer is engineers' not engineer's which is singular.

Thus it would have been correct to write, "I know the engineer's head explodes ..." or "I know engineers' heads explode ...," but not "I know engineer's heads explode ...." Unless of course, an engineer has multiple heads.

Jaybird
01-27-2004, 13:12
Exactly how much planning is necessary for hiking the AT? I'm the type of person who wakes up on a day off, grabs my pack, crams some stuff into it and disappears for a few days. ...............................
........................ can I just learn along the way? Honestly, I really suck at planning. [/url]

NeonFrog:

i love your spirit of spontaneity!

if i had my druthers....everytime the urge hit me....i'd be on the trail....unfortuantely, the A.T. is about 6 to 7 hours away from me...so, that fact & a wife that keeps my "thinking" grounded (shes an ultra-planner).

My first year section hike partner: TeePee & I stepped onto the A.T. @ Carvers Gap one cold November day (Nov.2000) & @ that moment knew that we were destined to "walk in the woods" for a few miles....we did a year & a half later(2002).....it took us many birthdays, trips to the local outfitters stores, Christmas presents etc to gather up all our gear.

I guess a person could "learn as you go"...but it might be the hardest way.
Good Luck!

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004!

Blue Jay
01-27-2004, 13:21
You put the apostrophe in the wrong place. The possessive plural of engineer is engineers' not engineer's which is singular.

Thus it would have been correct to write, "I know the engineer's head explodes ..." or "I know engineers' heads explode ...," but not "I know engineer's heads explode ...." Unless of course, an engineer has multiple heads.

I also spelled Georgia wrong, you knew what I meant.

Blue Jay
01-27-2004, 13:26
Baselines, first drafts, schedules. A great way to start an adventure. That's how Lewis and Clark did it. :cool:

Yes, Lewis and Clark hit every mail drop. Their main problem was the shuttle back from the Pacific.

chris
01-27-2004, 14:03

They actually planned rather extensively for their trip. The amount of preparation by Lewis is really rather amazing, ranging from small things (like what color beads to bring for trade) to rather large things (like Lewis designing a special boat). Extensive medical and navigational training was undergone by Lewis before setting out. Extensive supplies were laid in before leaving, with estimates as to how much hunting would have to be done and where. In the end, though, they had to rely upon themselves and their abilities to get through. Some plans just didn't work, like the big custom boat, and others were just folly. Having a plan is good, but having good judgment, ability, and flexibility is better.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2004, 14:07
Didn't know that, chris. The only planning I do is for the day I leave and to figure out what town I'll be in to watch the Masters tournament.

Lilred
01-27-2004, 14:13
if i had my druthers....everytime the urge hit me....i'd be on the trail....
I guess a person could "learn as you go"...but it might be the hardest way.
Good Luck!

..especially if someone forgets to take their tent poles......... :bse

chris
01-27-2004, 14:13
The extent of my planning for my continued AT hike, maybe this summer, is that I am going to start in Damascus, mail my pack there, send a bounce box to Pearisburg, and to locate a Greyhound station in town. I should probably sit down and find out if there are any dry towns that I may stop in, so that I can send out an appropriate maildrop.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2004, 14:21
chris, I can help you with a ride instead of a bus and it's wet all the way to Pearisburg. At least for beer and wine.

someday
01-27-2004, 15:53
I'm planning on how to get to Springer (In 2005) and how to get somewhat in trail shape be using '04 to do alot of short backpacks out west, but I can't see doing all that maildrop prep and scheduling. I'm hoping I learn as I go and can bounce a box ahead if someplace doesn't have resupply options. I learned from my sons thruhike in 2000 that he sure got sick of what was in his prepacked maildrops and after about 10-12 of them I ended up donating a ton of leftovers to local food pantry. Somehow he got food and went all the way. I love spontaneity and don't want to worry about getting to town and whether or not the post office is open. Part of the reason I want to hike is to get away from schedules.

neonfrog
01-27-2004, 17:41
Thanks for all the input. I'm not planning to hike the AT until 2005 so I have plenty of time to get ready. I'm used to hiking in the Sierra Nevadas of California. I'n the summer, I live just a stone's throw from the John Muir Trail. I could literally walk out my door, throw a rock and hit the trail. (if my aim didn't suck so much) I used to manage a hamburger stand that was a favorite of PCT hikers. I'm used to hiking, I've got the gear, I'm excited. I also want to thank the creators of this site. Web design is no easy task, thanks. I hope my site becomes as successful as this one.

http://www.yosemitegallery.net

chris
01-27-2004, 17:58
I used to manage a hamburger stand that was a favorite of PCT hikers. ]

Not the place at Reds Meadow by any chance? Had a big, sloppy bacon double cheeseburger and sprawling piece of cherry pie with ice cream when I came through last summer. Nice place.

Thanks for the offer and the info LW. I'll keep it in mind if I'm on the AT this year
as opposed to the CDT.

neonfrog
01-27-2004, 18:35
I was at the Tuolumne Meadows Grill in Yosemite.

Peaks
01-28-2004, 10:26
For those of you who don't want to spend a lot of time planning, read Weather Carrot's post on ideas for an inexpensive thru-hike. Also, read Baltimore Jack's posts on resupply. Between the two threads, your planning is largely done for you.

Jeff
01-28-2004, 16:48
Has Baltimore Jack said when any 2004 updates will be added to his "Re-supply Info"?

A-Train
01-28-2004, 16:59
might wanna personal message Bjack about that. He said sometime shortly after new years. I know he was planning on doing a 2004 version and had been working on it. Though, time is running out, folks are already starting to leave, or have left and those maildrops have got to get sent!