PDA

View Full Version : PA Hike Question

gorydon
03-30-2008, 10:10
I'm new to Whiteblaze, the AT, and hiking in general. I'm planning a day hike in PA from Pine Grove Furnace to Trindle Road near Mechanicsburg. I've calculated it to be around 23-25 miles. I'm not the most in-shape guy but I would say I'm fairly average when it comes to athletic ability. My question is, is this hike possible for me to make in 12 hours? Does anyone know the terrain and what I would be in for?
:confused:

ki0eh
03-30-2008, 10:56
:welcome to WhiteBlaze and the Trail!

My 2006 A.T. Data Book calls that 23.5 miles, should still be accurate. That's often considered a pretty long dayhike, even for those used to hiking, at any age. Hard telling whether YOU can make it in 12 hours of course, that depends on how modestly you describe yourself.

A 2 mph pace through this territory is no problem for thru-hikers in form (most have had over 1,000 miles of practice by this point) but it's not totally flat, there are some rocks near Whiskey Springs Rd (that's south of Mt. Holly Springs) that could really trip you if you're pushing yourself too hard and not used to it. If you're truly not used to hiking yet, you might consider trying a shorter hike just to see if everything works. I don't think the Indy 500 is the first stop for an Indy car right out of the shop!

While it may or may not work for you, coming out with a hiking club for many folks is an enjoyable way to get familiar with the process of hiking, get to know some folks if you want, or if for nothing else get a ride to the other end! The Cumberland Valley A.T. Club and Susquehanna A.T. Club offer a joint hiking program and there is no need to join anything to hike. See here: http://www.satc-hike.org/hikes.html

Hope you hike happy!

rafe
03-30-2008, 11:18
In my opinion, 23-25 miles is a fairly ambitious day hike. It's not a big deal for thru-hikers once they've been on the trail for a few weeks, or folks who are fit and trim... It is ambitious for most folks. I've hiked for 30+ years and I can count on one or two hands the number of days I've walked in excess of 20 miles.

I'd say -- try it, but have a fallback plan just in case.

Skyline
03-30-2008, 11:23
I'm new to Whiteblaze, the AT, and hiking in general. I'm planning a day hike in PA from Pine Grove Furnace to Trindle Road near Mechanicsburg. I've calculated it to be around 23-25 miles. I'm not the most in-shape guy but I would say I'm fairly average when it comes to athletic ability. My question is, is this hike possible for me to make in 12 hours? Does anyone know the terrain and what I would be in for?
:confused:

Doesn't matter what other hikers can or can't do. It only matters what you can do.

If you've done much hiking before, what was the average length of your more recent hikes? If it was comparable to the 23+ miles over similar terrain, you can predict that you will be able to do this hike. If it was just a little less, you can probably push yourself to do this hike. If it was a lot less, or if you haven't hiked much in the past, I wouldn't take this on just yet.

gorydon
03-31-2008, 19:41
Thanks for the info guys.

88BlueGT
03-31-2008, 20:59
I agree with posted above. Make your 22-23 mile day your goal but have a back up plan because thats a pretty far hike for your average joe if you ask me. I'm also a decent shape 20yr old and I know that I couldn't do it. Well, Im sure that I could but I wouldnt want to. Everyones different though obviously, go for it, but just have a back up plan. Good luck.