PDA

View Full Version : Snowpack information for New England

The Scribe
03-30-2008, 11:11
Morning all.

I am pretty sure I got this link from someone on WB but wanted to share it back.

Updated daily, it provides snow depth information for New England and New York State from NOAA.

I watch this site all the time in the spring.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/html/snow_depth.html

Old Hillwalker
03-30-2008, 11:42
I use this site from time to time, but I often doubt it's accuracy for spot amounts.

I say this because I have been doing two to three winter hikes a week on snowshoes and skis on the AT in my area this winter and here are this past weeks findings: Smart's Mountain at 3238 feet has about five feet of snow around the Ranger Cabin and six feet on the trail heading north. Mt. Mist a few mile north has four to five feet of snow at the little "Mt Mist" sign at 2220 feet. The Ore hill Shelter at 1850 had four feet also. This is all old, consolidated snow.

The site reports 20 to 25 inches of snow in the same locale.

woodsy
03-30-2008, 12:29
This snowpack map from NOAA (http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/nsa/index.html?year=2008&month=3&day=30&units=e&region=Northeast) might be more accurate from what I have been seeing and what Hillwalker is reporting.
Click on top center snow depth map to enlarge. There appears to be lots of snow in the mountains still.
Don't even think about putting your snowshoes away!

warraghiyagey
03-30-2008, 12:41
What would Woodsy know about snow in Maine.:eek::mad:

:banana:banana

Old Hillwalker
03-30-2008, 12:43
Yes, much closer to what I've been floundering around in. Gotta love it......or move:D

woodsy
03-30-2008, 12:58
What would Woodsy know about snow in Maine.:eek::mad:

:banana:banana
He would know that Warraghiyagey doesn't want to see or hear anything about snow depths in Maine;)

warraghiyagey
03-30-2008, 12:59
He would know what Warraghiyagey doesn't want to see or hear about snow depths in Maine;)

Crap. . .:mad::mad:

NorthCountryWoods
03-30-2008, 14:57
This snowpack map from NOAA (http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/nsa/index.html?year=2008&month=3&day=30&units=e&region=Northeast) might be more accurate from what I have been seeing and what Hillwalker is reporting.
Click on top center snow depth map to enlarge. There appears to be lots of snow in the mountains still.
Don't even think about putting your snowshoes away!

Crampons would be better in VT....the 5 foot snowpack I was walking on yesterday was like a rock.

mudhead
03-30-2008, 17:53
The NOAA map is closer for Acadia National Park. However, they don't differentiate snow vs ice. Gonna be tropical around here this week. Tie the canoe to the porch.

woodsy
03-30-2008, 18:23
Crampons would be better in VT....the 5 foot snowpack I was walking on yesterday was like a rock.
Yeah this time of year the conditions vary from day to day, sometimes morning to afternoon, and from sunny side to dark side of the mountain.
A real mixed bag of conditions for the next ???(:-?) weeks or more around here.

Chef2000
03-30-2008, 20:13
The second one seems more accurate, by the first one I would have 1-2 ft outside my door. No snow for a month at least round here