PDA

View Full Version : Bear Mountain, NY newspaper article

Askus3
03-30-2008, 12:32
Nothing really new but some good publicity just the same. So I thought I'd give it mention here. This was in the on-line edition of the Orange County, NY Times Herald Record daily paper - Sunday, March 30, 2008.
__________________________________________________ ____________

By Raja Abdulrahim
Times Herald-Record
March 30, 2008
BEAR MOUNTAIN — Two Appalachian Trails diverged in the woods, and a group of about 15 volunteers yesterday took the one less traveled.

Rather, never yet traveled.

The group is part of a six-year effort to reroute the 3-mile stretch of the 2,147-mile Appalachian Trail extending from Georgia to Maine that cross through Bear Mountain.

Yesterday was the first day of this season's work, which will continue until November.

"The current (Appalachian Trail) that runs through here is very eroded and hard to navigate," said project manager Matt Townsend.

The project is being overseen by the New York-New Jersey Trail Conference and funded by the conference and several other nonprofit groups. It is expected to cost between $1.5 million and $2 million when it's completed in 2012.

But for Townsend, the time and money spent is not just about creating a new trail. If they had hired a trail contractor, the work would have been completed in two or so years and perhaps cost less, he said.

But having mostly volunteers cut the trees, break the rock and lay down the gravel creates an appreciation for the work that goes into making trails, and inspires people to do similar work in other places.

"I remember where there's a tree down there with a stump that I worked on," said Ollie Simpson, standing on the future trail, "so I can see the progress and just remember where I was a part of it."

Simpson has been volunteering since 2006. One of her specialty jobs is breaking up the rocks along the trail.

"And you can't imagine the appreciation you see when you drag the rocks to Ollie," said volunteer Sona Mason.

"Yeah," Simpson said, making a hammer motion with her hand.

Indeed, making a trail is hard work. It can involve leveling the ground by raising it several feet, bringing down tons of gravel mix through culvert pipes and putting in granite steps. The steps make it easier to navigate and help prevent erosion, Townsend said.

This year, 600-plus steps will hopefully be finished, added Townsend. More volunteers are needed for the Thursday- to-Monday work week; contact [email protected].

[email protected]

sasquatch2014
03-30-2008, 14:36
I had a chance to see a bit of this work at the end of their work season this past fall. The rigging that they had set up to move materials up and down the east side of Bear Mountain. I hope that anyone going through this section of trail this year has a chance to stop and say "thank you" to the crews who are working so hard. Those two small words mean a great deal.

I have the pleasure of having Ollie as my area Supervisor and have a section of trail north of I-84 on the east side of the Hudson River. I know that she is a real strongly dedicated person to the trail and can just picture her breaking the rocks. She is also working on a relo of the trail just south of the Telephone Pioneer shelter it will not be getting any press coverage but is also a much needed job. I encourage people to get involved even if it is just stopping when you see a trail crew and lending a hand for a few moments. Many hands make for light work.