PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hike the Nantahalas pre-switchback fad

Crustacean
03-30-2008, 13:48
If so, what was it like? What was a good day's mileage then? What were the toughest peaks to climb? Is the trail better now rather than back then?

Summit
03-30-2008, 14:39
I've been hiking the Nantahalas A LOT since 1973. I would say there are no more or less switchbacks today than then. What has changed, for the better, is the AT has been routed off many logging roadbeds. The hike up Standing Indian, for example, used to take the old fire tower road all the way from Deep Gap to the top. Today, the trail only hooks back up with this road for the last mile or so.

On the negative side of reroutes, the reroute between Deep Gap and Wateroak Gap around Yellow Mountain adds a needless, rugged mile or more of trail with no purpose or views/landmarks. Last fall I took the old AT route (thanks to Ron Haven for the tip) and enjoyed it very much. If you're NOBO, it's a pretty well-marked right blue blaze in Wateroak Gap. If you SOBO, it's more difficult to find but if you veer off to the left before you leave the parking area that the AT comes straight into and leaves straight out of, you'll pick up a blue blaze if you look around a bit.

Since the Nantahala section of the AT is pretty mild as far as assents/decents anyway, I'd say the trail is pretty much the same as in the 70's, no more or less difficult, just less road walking and all-in-all a positive improvement. ;)

Summit
03-30-2008, 14:43
My good day's mileage has always been 10-13 miles a day and still is. That's because "my hike" involves enjoying both camping and hiking. Since I plan my section hikes accordingly, there's no reason to do it any other way. If I were to plan a complete thru non-stop, I would most assuredly adopt a little different strategy. YMMV obviously! :) :p

rafe
03-30-2008, 16:12
I did that section in 1990. It was damned hard. The nobo climb out of Sweetwater Gap was a sumbitch... but I was semi-dehydrated, which didn't help at all. Ain't no water at Sweetwater Gap.