PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooler looking for thru-hiker penpal

granolamamma
03-30-2008, 18:50
Hey gang, Granola Mamma here. My son, Zach, is a homeschooled 1st grader. We began our AT homeschooling adventure last year as some of you know, we even met a few of you on the trail last season when we started in April. We're using the AT as an "open classroom" for Zach. He's a high-energy, outdoor-minded little guy with a huge taste for adventure. He'd live outdoors all year if we let him, not even afraid of the dark! For these first few years as we build up his and our hiking distance we are hiking in "bits and pieces". We started out, actually 2 years ago when he was just a wee little thing and could only do a half mile and and the same out. Now he's up to 2 miles in and same out, for total of 4 miles. We look forward to eventually doing a complete thru-hike with him by the time he's in high school, perhaps before, with myself, Zach and Dad. We also plan to really look into the history, science, etc of the trail as part of our curriculum, which is based on the AT. We have already started him on the photojournalism end of things, keeping both a written and a photo journal that he writes himself, with a bit of help for techinical details only. He even takes his own pics.

So, here we are. This year we though it would be really awesome and inspiring to his adventurous side if he had at least one (or whoever wants to participate!) penpal who is doing a thru-hike. We want someone who would be willing to send a postcard from regular mail drops along the trail (whenever you're in town anyway) so we can learn charting (maps) by pinpointing you along the route and Zach will write you letters for your next drop. We are willing to work out the details of covering the expense of staying in touch. This way Zach can stay on top of how your trail adventure is going and he can "go along" with you even though he's still a little guy. He can even share in the thrill of you making it to the top of Kahtadin! This may also serve as an encourager to a hiker who's struggling with wanting to drop out, knowing that someone else is along with you sharing the burden, the emotions, the struggles, and joys. Also, you would have a special place as Zach's pet "prayer focus" during family prayer meeting each night, for your safety. Believe me, there's special comfort on a stormy night when you're trying to go to sleep knowing that someone is lifting you up in prayer at that same time.

Please let me know if anyone is willing and we can PM about the details. Oh, btw, we're in NC, if there are any NC hikers out there. Anyway, thanks so much and hope everyone has a safe hike this year!

Granola Mamma

Appalachian Tater
03-30-2008, 19:02
Are you familiar with Trail Journals (http://www.trailjournals.com)?

granolamamma
03-30-2008, 19:12
Hadn't thought of that. I just thought that Zach would be thrilled by getting old-fashioned snail-mail every week or so. Would someone still be willing to make posts to Zach in those journals?

wakapak
03-30-2008, 19:28
I'm not doing the entire trial, but will be starting in VA after Traildays from Damascus or close to there. If you want to PM me about it all and let me know a little more what you are looking for, I'll definitely think of it! I think it's a wonderful idea you have, and sending a postcard or letter from town doesnt seem any trouble at all!!

wakapak
03-30-2008, 19:28
I'm not doing the entire trail, but will be starting in VA after Traildays from Damascus or close to there. If you want to PM me about it all and let me know a little more what you are looking for, I'll definitely think of it! I think it's a wonderful idea you have, and sending a postcard or letter from town doesnt seem any trouble at all!!

wakapak
03-30-2008, 19:29
doh, didnt mean to post twice...darn computer!!

warraghiyagey
03-30-2008, 19:43
doh, didnt mean to post twice...darn computer!!

Suuuuure. . . blame the computer.
:p

Granola Momma. I'm in if you don't mind a SOBO. Sounds like your son has a great gig in life.:sun

wakapak
03-30-2008, 19:47
Suuuuure. . . blame the computer.
:p

Granola Momma. I'm in if you don't mind a SOBO. Sounds like your son has a great gig in life.:sun

Hey!!! it was the computer.....:p okay, maybe it was the user, but i can always try to blame it on technology right???:o

and stop trying to steal my pen-pal!!!!!!!:p Just kidding!!!

warraghiyagey
03-30-2008, 20:24
Hey!!! it was the computer.....:p okay, maybe it was the user, but i can always try to blame it on technology right???:o

and stop trying to steal my pen-pal!!!!!!!:p Just kidding!!!
Rumor has it I might not actually exist anyway.:p

wakapak
03-30-2008, 21:16
Rumor has it I might not actually exist anyway.:p

Oh yes, how could i forget about that!??! ;)

Blissful
03-30-2008, 21:17
What a great idea. Would be nice if someone could send him at least postcards from when they cross a state line (doesn't take much to do that). We did this for a 2nd grade class at my neighbor's school last year and then went to visit them with our gear in tow. They loved it.

BTW - my son was home schooled, and he did the whole AT as a teen. I had many comment on the trail that he couldn't get a better education than hiking for months and living in the great outdoors. :)