PDA

View Full Version : Moleskin vs duct tape

Ashman
03-30-2008, 19:12
I have heard folks saying leave the moleskin at home and use duct tape for blister care. Do you just tape over the blister or do you put something under the tape next to the blister? Do you double warp it?

warraghiyagey
03-30-2008, 19:30
I've used both. Had Vasque heavy hiking boot. Tore up my feet bad. Switched to light trail runners and never even had a blister. But having moleskin with you is DEFINITELY worth it. Duct tape works but I personallyuse it as a backup or in the case of a particularly large and painful blister area (over the moleskin).

Two Speed
03-30-2008, 19:39
Depends. I tend to develop some really heinous blisters on my heels, so I tape them to prevent blisters. If I've already got a blister going I put a cloth band-aid on it, then duct tape. Duct tape on sound skin ain't too bad coming off; pulling duct tape off a blister is good for lotsa creative language cuz the some extra skin usually comes off with the tape.

Dirtygaiters
03-30-2008, 19:41
Moleskin has always fallen off where I have stuck it to my foot, which is why I don't carry it. I use duct tape on hot spots, before the blister has a chance to form. If a blister has formed already, I rarely see a point in putting anything over it. In camp, I'll sometimes take a nail clippers and lance the blister, trim away all the dead skin (this is crucial to prevent infections), wash and dry the area, then put a bandaid with some neosporin over it for the night. The next day, I'll monitor it, but usually that's enough.

Reece
03-30-2008, 19:54
I've always used the cloth athletic tape on hot spots. If a blister does form I just put a patch of moleskin on it and cover with the tape. I use the athletic tape because it comes off a little easier than duct tape and it takes the place of band-aids

GGS2
03-30-2008, 20:01
I have used bare duct tape on busted blisters. I guess my feet sweat enough that there is no problem with adhesion to the separated skin. The duct tape is also a useful slippery bandage, and it is quite comfortable. I generally remove it at night and renew it next morning. If the skin comes away, as it will eventually, then I use a soft pad of whatever I have available between the tender open skin and the tape. Works better than any other system I've ever used.

Chef2000
03-30-2008, 20:04
I do a little of everything already said

1. Gorrilla tape (black tape with better glue then Duct) on hot spots
2. I use moleskin if blister has already formed, following instructions to cut out hole around blister, sometimes I use doulble layer of moleskin, then I cover everything with GT.
3. break blisters and treat with alchohol swab and neosporin and cover like a regular cut

quasarr
03-30-2008, 20:17
Moleskin has always fallen off where I have stuck it to my foot, which is why I don't carry it. I use duct tape on hot spots, before the blister has a chance to form. If a blister has formed already, I rarely see a point in putting anything over it. In camp, I'll sometimes take a nail clippers and lance the blister, trim away all the dead skin (this is crucial to prevent infections), wash and dry the area, then put a bandaid with some neosporin over it for the night. The next day, I'll monitor it, but usually that's enough.

you have to use that gross brown stuff - benzoate I think?? - to make moleskin stick.

Don H
03-30-2008, 21:26
Try Leukotape, it's the only stuff I've found that will last all day.
http://www.americarx.com/Products/6044.html

orangebug
03-30-2008, 21:34
Another choice is to use vapor permeable barrier material, like what is commonly used in surgery, ER wound care and the like. I found trouble getting the stuff to stick on wet hands and feet for wounds, when duct tape works just fine.

Don't pop the blister, as much as you may be tempted. The skin covering it is nature's perfect bandaid. Cover the whole thing in duct tape to prevent further friction (silk tape if you are squeamish) and wait for it to fall off on it's own within a week. You will have a nice callous and be ready to go.

take-a-knee
03-30-2008, 21:55
Depends. I tend to develop some really heinous blisters on my heels, so I tape them to prevent blisters. If I've already got a blister going I put a cloth band-aid on it, then duct tape. Duct tape on sound skin ain't too bad coming off; pulling duct tape off a blister is good for lotsa creative language cuz the some extra skin usually comes off with the tape.
If you don't have a bandaid you can stick a small piece of duct tape, larger than the blister, against the sticky side of your larger piece of duct tape, ensuring nothing adheres to the blister.

take-a-knee
03-30-2008, 21:57
I'd try to find something a little cleaner than nail clippers, like maybe a sterilized sewing needle or small iris scissors.

take-a-knee
03-30-2008, 21:57
you have to use that gross brown stuff - benzoate I think?? - to make moleskin stick.

Tincture of benzoin, or mastisol.

sasquatch2014
03-30-2008, 22:04
When it does stick to the skin of a formed blister it can hurt when it is pulled off. I had it happen last year near Cheshire Ma. the tape was partly coming off so it had to be re-done and when it was coming off it pulled off the skin with it. This is what I was left with. The guy sitting on the bench next to mine by the hiker Kiosk was waiting for a bus as I sat there with my pocket knife cutting away the skin. I now do a small square shiny side to the blister on the backside of the tape. That way there is no adhesive directly on the blister. This has helped so far. I keep the tape wrapped around the handle of my treking poles.

TheTank
03-30-2008, 22:32
As I have been told "if you can't Duct it, **** it." I never really take the tape off, just wait for it to fall off on its own. That avoids the stripping of skin problem people have. Otherwise as was stated, pretty much let it go, the blister in nature's way of protecting the skin underneath, so let nature do its thing.

burger
03-30-2008, 22:38
Don't use duct tape--it doesn't stay attached when wet, and eventually you're feet are going to get wet. Use athletic tape instead--it stays on even when you're skin is wet. You can get it in any drug store and a lot of grocery stores (I bought it a roll at the grocery store in Duncannon).

If you're worried about open sores and skin sticking to tape, put a piece of gauze or a band-aid over the affected part and cover it with athletic tape. Using this system, I didn't have to change my tape/bandages for days at a time.

Tin Man
03-30-2008, 23:03
This may sound like a silly question, but how do you know you have a hot spot? It feels hot? Anytime I feel a hot spot, it's a blister. Maybe I blister faster than most, dunno. I actually go cowboy and hike through blisters with no treatment/tape/whatever. WELL, I do take the alcohol out at night ...and consume it liberally to kill the pain.

Alex
03-30-2008, 23:05
I too have found duct tape to be useless on my feet. I prefer athletic tape, it sticks way better. I'll put just a little of it over a hot spot or small blister, and moleskin with tape over it on big blisters.

Fat Man Walking
03-30-2008, 23:06
I coat my heels in New Skin then, put a strip of duct tape from the middle of my arch up to about where my boot top hits the back of my ankle/leg/foot over my achille's tendon. And I do this from the time I put my boots on prior to taking my first step of the trip. Then, when I put my boots on every morning. I don't even get hot spots.

I put it from the middle of my arch as this keeps the tape in place by my weight on my foot. My feet sweat profusely. So, this is about the only thing that works for me.

Then, in the evening when I get to camp, it is usually pretty easy to get off because of the moisture.

Philippe
03-30-2008, 23:39
If you don't have a bandaid you can stick a small piece of duct tape, larger than the blister, against the sticky side of your larger piece of duct tape, ensuring nothing adheres to the blister.

What a good idea. Thanks for that tip. So simple, too, but I never thought of it.

Wags
04-01-2008, 00:13
pretty sure the proper treatment of blisters was stated twice in this thread. you are not supposed to pop them.

take-a-knee
04-01-2008, 00:40
pretty sure the proper treatment of blisters was stated twice in this thread. you are not supposed to pop them.

It is much less likely to become infected if you don't pop it, but that usually means don't hike for a week.

GGS2
04-01-2008, 01:01
Yup. My experience is that if you continue on an unbroken blister, it will end up being a broken blister before long. No problem yet. The problem comes when you continue without protection so that the quick skin under the blister is abraded and bleeds. A simple blister is not yet an open wound, and still functions to some extent as a skin barrier. You can still treat it as a hot spot. That means reduce friction, add strength to the skin membrane and pad if necessary. That in brief is what the tape of any sort does.

If you have an open wound, you need to guard against infection, as the skin barrier is compromised. Tape is still good, but it may need to be a proper barrier layer, and it may need antibacterial and lubrication ointment, and a proper absorbent pad and cushion. Plus you may not like to hike on it, or may have to alter your socks, shoes or hiking technique. In wet conditions, this can be bad news.