PDA

View Full Version : ATI 100l denali .. alternatives?

darkage
03-30-2008, 19:56
I had a long post posted but i'll make this simple ...

ATI's 100l denali

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Denali100-Internal-Hiking-Backpack/dp/B000XP46IY

$65 bucks ... i like the pack, but i know i don't like ATI ...

I've been looking at packs awhile but must of overmissed a few with these features ... i'm looking for the lightest 80+20l or something similer pack like this ATI but perhaps with better materials and quality company ...

Anyone?

darkage
03-30-2008, 20:26
I'm leaning at the momment towards

http://www.backcountry.com/store/GOL0154/GoLite-Odyssey-Expedition-Pack-5500-5800-cu-in.html

Wags
03-31-2008, 01:10
that's a huge pack! but looks pretty sweet to me. a lot of the UL guys rock the golite packs

darkage
03-31-2008, 10:20
I need big, thats one thing i can't sacrifice ... i enjoy too many "materialistic" items while backpacking ... =]

Plus, i go thro water like a camel ... so i tend to carry quite abit at a time.

Wags
03-31-2008, 12:02
bethlehem huh? i was just down in quakertown last weekend to help a buddy move...

darkage
03-31-2008, 13:00
Yeah, born in allentown ... lived in the pocono's "honesdale" for about 5 years, then moved back to the area 7 years ago or so ... this summer i'd like to cover all of PA, next spring i'd then like to section springer to fontana or thro the smokies depending on funds and time ... I hike every other weekend when weather permits between the pinnacle and jersey ... I really wanna get some outta state sections but afraid that'll be next year .. jersey doesn't count .. its too close. =]

Hopefully when our youngest gets abit older, i can do my dream of a complete thru ... for now i'll settle for any outdoors i can get..

Qmart's a good place to get meats and stuff cheap for dehydrating an what not, so is the allentown fair grounds farmer's market which is alot better than qmart ... but depending on who's closer, i used to drive to qmart every weekend just for the ribs and chicken wings. =]

Wags
03-31-2008, 17:11
bah out of state, pa is beautiful!

seriously consider a smaller pack my friend. if you get one that big you may feel the need to bring so many things you don't need, but have room for, ending in a heavy ass pack. if you're disciplined though it should work.

darkage
03-31-2008, 20:36
Yeah, i've got a few weeks to think and look over more options ... i currently have a 5500cu pack, i love it ... just the quality isn't up to par ... and weighs 6lbs ... if i can get the same size, but cut the weight in half ... that golite is a nice option ... just wish it had external pockets other than the single front .... and i do normally fill my current 5500cu with bulk items, homeade wood stove ... i carry an insane ammount of water at a time, normally around 9 liters ... "yes i know" .. but i sweat alot and require alot of water ... being 6'4 and having a gland issue isn't fun ... i carry a few small hand towels to continuelly wipe my face or i'd look like i was fresh outta the shower for the whole hike ..