PDA

View Full Version : Which FT segment along Suwannee River?

jessearl
03-30-2008, 21:44
My friend and I are looking to do a 3-day hike on the Florida Trail on one of the segments that follow the Suwannee River. As children, we did a canoe trip along the Suwannee River and would like to hike around the same familiar area.

We are both experienced at camping and have some backpacking experience and are looking to do between 6-10 miles a day.

I'd like to do as little road walking as possible. Section 29 seems nice, but my guide book makes it sound like the first 4 miles or so heading away from Gibson Park are road walking.

Any suggestions?

camojack
03-31-2008, 01:04
My friend and I are looking to do a 3-day hike on the Florida Trail on one of the segments that follow the Suwannee River. As children, we did a canoe trip along the Suwannee River and would like to hike around the same familiar area.

We are both experienced at camping and have some backpacking experience and are looking to do between 6-10 miles a day.

I'd like to do as little road walking as possible. Section 29 seems nice, but my guide book makes it sound like the first 4 miles or so heading away from Gibson Park are road walking.

Any suggestions?
♪ Way down along the Suwannee River... ♪

OK, not helpful; I just couldn't resist. :eek:

chiefduffy
03-31-2008, 07:04
I hiked about 40 miles of this beautiful area last March. Roadwalks were short but kind of trashy. Lots of places to camp by the river. Saw only 1 or two canoe-ers and no other hikers. Post your question on http://www.floridahikes.com/floridahikes/ for lots of good info.

- Dufffy

chiefduffy
03-31-2008, 07:09
The is also a FT-L forum at backcountry.net that has alot of FT expert subscribers.

jnetx
03-31-2008, 08:15

Any suggestions?
The first several miles after Gibson Park are indeed roadwalk, but they are sandy little used roads if that makes a differnece to you.

The section from the Stephen Foster center through to Suwannee River Music park is quite a pleasant hike up and down the ravines, and may be the length you are looking for. I hiked through there in December with the river level low and there were plenty of places to make camp and enjoy beaches for meal breaks, etc. That situation has undoubtedly changed with the higher water levels.

The section east of Gibson park back to Suwannee River Music park is also quite interesting as it goes through a WMA area of sinkholes and springs. There is a big new camping facility there that has been built as part of the Suwannee River Canoe Trail. It has big screened shelters and hot showers! You can probably get more info from the Suwannee Rive Water Management agency site.

jessearl
04-07-2008, 13:58
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did post this question over at the Florida Hikes! forum and got the following response from Sandra Friend:

"That's true, heading west. You go straight into roadwalk from Holton Creek WMA west and while it is backroads, it's still roadwalk. I'd suggest Holton Creek east to White Springs. Wendell Hannum at American Canoe Adventures (ACA1.com) will do shuttles; leave your car with him in White Springs and have him drop you at Holton Creek WMA. It was 1 day backpacking for me and my friends between US 129 and Holton Creek; another day to get to Camp Branch, 10 miles more to White Springs. That would give you a nice 3 long days. It's a beautiful hike...enjoy!"

I've got to order a Florida Trail map for that area and then I'll look through that and compare the suggestions that everyone has made.