PDA

View Full Version : Hennessy hammock modification - zippers!!

2Questions
03-30-2008, 21:52
I mentioned a mod to a HH on another thread about "removable bugnetting", but thought a new thread may be appropriate.

My wife, who runs her own sewing business from home for 20+ years, has agreed to add zippers to Hennessy hammocks. I have one and really needed access to my gear bag. She figured out how to modify the HH with two zippers. One on each side from the head end (where they meet) to the tie out points. We also have a full side zip mod with a 1/2 zip on the other side. The bugnet can be rolled up and then ribbon tied to secure it. See my gallery here for pics or go to HF for more pics.

If interested, PM me. I'll send you more info.

2Questions.

T-Dubs
03-30-2008, 22:19
I had this modification done to my HH. The work is top-notch and it was done quickly. If you've ever thought that netting was in the way, this is a chance to get a great upgrade.

TWS--(happy customer)

2Questions
03-31-2008, 06:18
Uploaded more pics of hammock mods.

Rain Man
06-10-2008, 22:33
I had this modification done to my HH. The work is top-notch and it was done quickly. If you've ever thought that netting was in the way, this is a chance to get a great upgrade.

TWS--(happy customer)

Me too! Mine just arrived back today and I love it! I had actually thought of ditching my HH for a Claytor (which comes with zippers). No more.

Rain:sunMan

RadioFreq
06-10-2008, 23:35
2Q's wife has also modified my HH. I've only had an opportunity to use it once since but it is a vast improvement on the original design. Well worth the expense. Looking forward to putting it through its paces for 3 weeks on the SHT in August...then the AT in March.

:) T minus 8.5 months....and counting :)

2Questions
06-20-2008, 17:34
FYI,
ZQ will be "out of town" in a week and will not return until July 15th. Therefore she is not taking any new orders for HH mods until she returns. Thanks.
2Q

trippclark
06-20-2008, 17:45
I have to ask. How much weight is added by this modification?

2Questions
06-20-2008, 18:05
I know my ULBA weighed 3.7 ozs. more with Mod #1. Not sure about Mod#2. Can't be much more. Next time we do a Mod #2 I'll weigh the hammock before and after, then post the increase. Obviously the Explorers require more zipper than the Hyperlites, but I bet the difference in additional weigh is miniscule. Maybe someone who has had it done can chime in here.

tlbj6142
06-23-2008, 10:11
This is a great modification. It is my only complaint about the HH. And the primary reason why I use my tarp/bivy for most of my trips. I miss the fresh air blowing across my face.

If I had any thought of some type of long distance trip with my HH this would be the first modification I'd make. Followed by adding Sling-Shot tie-outs (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3859) (a 30 minute mod).

stag3
06-23-2008, 14:30
2Q's wife has also modified my HH. I've only had an opportunity to use it once since but it is a vast improvement on the original design. Well worth the expense. Looking forward to putting it through its paces for 3 weeks on the SHT in August...then the AT in March.

:) T minus 8.5 months....and counting :)

What was the expense?

2Questions
06-23-2008, 15:30
Mod #1 (two 1/2 zippers) $35 plus shipping
Mod #2 (Full side zip and 1/2 side zip) $50 plus shipping.

Need more details, PM me.

stag3
06-23-2008, 15:52
Mod #1 (two 1/2 zippers) $35 plus shipping
Mod #2 (Full side zip and 1/2 side zip) $50 plus shipping.

Need more details, PM me.

Wow, that sounds like a real fair price ( I was thinking it would be more expensive), especially considering how long it would take an amature.

Stag3

2Questions
06-23-2008, 16:02
That's what we were hoping to achieve... quality work at a fair price. Makes a good hammock so much more user friendly. Myself and many others can testify to the difference it makes.

2Questions
06-24-2008, 17:36
New zipper Modification #3
A full length zipper (whichever side you prefer) that has two zipper pulls that meet in the center when closed. $35 plus shipping. Pictures forthcoming.

wacbzz
06-24-2008, 18:44
Your wife is sure going to be busy come July 15!:)

2Questions
06-24-2008, 19:28
So far we've done 36 hammocks since April. Nice pace...about 3/week. As long as it stays reasonable, there should be quick turnaround. Her other work has slowed a bit, so I'm hoping the hammock mods will fit in well.

Rain Man
06-25-2008, 00:08
New zipper Modification #3
A full length zipper (whichever side you prefer) that has two zipper pulls that meet in the center when closed. $35 plus shipping. Pictures forthcoming.

D#&n, that's just what I wuz hoping fer!

Still, the version I have is a far, far improvement over no zipper at all.

You know, if you're successful enough, HH will adopt your idea and put you out of business. YIKES!

Rain:sunMan

tlbj6142
06-25-2008, 08:56
New zipper Modification #3 A full length zipper (whichever side you prefer) that has two zipper pulls that meet in the center when closed.This would allow us to roll the netting completely out of the way. Similar to those in Mod#2, are there tie-outs on the opposite side to hold the rolled up netting?

2Questions
06-25-2008, 12:51
Mod #3 allows the netting to be rolled up to the ridgeline only. The zipper is on one side only.

2Questions
06-25-2008, 12:52
You know, if you're successful enough, HH will adopt your idea and put you out of business. YIKES!

I sent Tom Hennessy pictures and suggested he do this before we started. He's against the mod out of principle....less is more.

tlbj6142
06-25-2008, 13:12
Mod #3 allows the netting to be rolled up to the ridgeline only. The zipper is on one side only.OK. I would have thought there would be more slack in the netting to allow it to flop over to the other side, guess not. But what keeps the netting from falling down on the other side of the ridgeline (in your face) when it has been completely unzipped along one side?

2Questions
06-25-2008, 15:49
...allow it to flop over to the other side, guess not.

When the one full side is unzipped, you can just flip it over on the other side netting. Hence, 1/2 of the hammock lengthwise is open. A suggestion might be to roll it up and clip it to the ridgeline?

tlbj6142
06-25-2008, 16:27
When the one full side is unzipped, you can just flip it over on the other side netting.OK, now I see why this would happen. The "center line" of the netting is sort of taunt once the hammock is in place, and that keeps the netting from falling onto your face when one-half is unzipped (lengthwise). I kept thinking there was quite a bit of sag in the netting when the hammock is setup. But that's not true lengthwise. From left-to-right there is a bit of sag in the netting (this is what allows you to sit on the outside of the hammock when using it as a chair), just not lengthwise.

Hmmm... Mod1 (head end half), Mod2 (whole darn thing, with roll-up on one end) or Mod3 (unzip one whole side of the hammock)????? Tough choice.

I can see the advantage of #2, but I'm not quite sure what #3 gives me that I don't already get with #1? Though I guess it does allow for side entry, whereas #1 still requires bottom entry (though you might be able to cheat a bit and enter from the side with Mod1). Is that the only difference? Maybe I'm missing something.

Would think that #3 would be a bit more difficult to zip-up from inside the hammock since for the foot-end zipper you'd have to be able to reach the far foot-end of the hammock. Whereas the two zippers on Mod#1 are within arms reach.

2Questions
06-25-2008, 17:02
Yeah, what started out as a way to just gain access to my gearbag while inside the hammock and getting the net off my face during winter camping has blossomed into three mods!! Many showed interest and gave input on other ideas. I suppose some are taken from Claytor and other existing popular hammocks. There is a great deal of creativity in the forums.

I think the progression of mods looks like this: just access and openess Mod #1, then to side entry capability on either side and stowable netting Mod#2, and now side entry on one side only (a little weight saving) and a center zipper pulls Mod#3. Hard to say where it will go next.

So to answer your question....decide what fits your camping style and meets your needs and suits the wallet. My first HH has Mod 1, my next HH has Mod 2 (which I like the best), Mod #3....well for me ...it doesn't provide me side entry on either side (after the netting is rolled and stowed) which I like.

2Q

2Questions
06-25-2008, 17:06
One more thing I should add concerning Mod #2. I have over 25 nights in my HH with this mod (right side full zip) and have found I don't have to open it up fully to side enter. I unzip about 6" past the tie out and that is plenty of room to get in and reach the zipper once inside to zip back up.

stickman
06-26-2008, 09:19
I think I accomplished the same thing by simply cutting the center line that runs under the net. Without the center line, the net collapses onto the hammock. When I don't want the net (like to sit on the hammock or sleep with more air moving) I undo the line and lie/sit on top of the hammock with the net under me. I looped each end of the center line and use a mini-biner and a small length of parachute cord to reconnect it and resurrect the net when I want it up.

Sticks

stickman
06-26-2008, 10:03
PS, if you are going to cut the center line as I suggested above, be sure to do it near the hammock entrance so you can reattach the line easily, without having to get into the hammock. Also, remember that the center line is not integral to the strength of the hammock or the tie-up. Its only function is to hold up the net.

Sticks

tlbj6142
06-26-2008, 10:18
Its only function is to hold up the net.The primary reason for the ridgeline (and the reason why HH has a patent on it) is to give you a "prefect" sag in your hammock body. Without the ridgeline, more time has to be spent adjusting the support lines to get the correct "sag" to allow for a comfortable hammock. Too tight --> shoulder squeeze, too loose --> lack of body support and less "lie flat" feeling.

Cutting the ridgeline as you suggest does allow you to use the hammock without netting in your face since you can just enter the hammock from the side and lie on top of the netting. I wonder if you could do this a bit differently. Instead of cutting the ridgeline, you could untie the ridgeline, cut a very tiny hole (dia of the ridgeline cord) at each end of the netting (near the foot and head ends) and pass the ridgeline thru the holes. This would put the netting "under" the ridgeline. Then, with a couple small clips or loops of cord you could hang the netting from the underside of the ridgeline. No zippers, no biner, just a couple of small pieces of cord (or tiny clips [half of a paper clip??]) to hold the netting up if you need it for that night.

Though the zipper mods does provide a bit more ease of use in that you can zip-up if the bugs get bad later, whereas with the cut ridgeline (or my suggestion) you'd have to do quite a bit more to get back to bed. But, then, bugs are typically an issue when you go to sleep, not something that starts sometime after you fall to sleep.

Something to think about....

2Questions
07-24-2008, 20:55
FYI on HH mods...

My ZQ (Zipper Queen) wife is back behind the sewing machine wheel. The mod #3 looks real good. Just shipped out Trailale's hammock today and hopefully he will post an evaluation of this new mod.

ZQ has a couple more to do and she's all caught up. If you've been considering a HH mod, now is a good time to get em' done.

2Questions
11-14-2008, 23:03
Update and bump on Hennesy hammock bugnet zipper modifications.
ZQ has completed almost 65 this year and the feedback from customers have been very positive. The mods make a huge difference in accessibility and overall convenience using a Hennessy.

I've noticed that although most inquiries have come to me from HF, several have came from this site from those considering a hammock setup. Although a hammock is not for everybody, it appears the hammock has made a sound entrance into the hiking/camping crowd.

If interested in modifying your Hennessy hammock, send a PM to me and I'll send you the details.

2Questions

2Questions
01-16-2009, 13:03
Quick update on HH bugnet mods;
For an additional $5, ZQ will completely remove the velcro from the entry slit and sew up the slit. We have been offering just sewing the slit closed for $5, but some have requested removing the velcro to give a softer feel under the legs. If you would like us to do that when you get one of the mods, cost is $10. Thanks.
2Q