PDA

View Full Version : zip pants?

alpine
01-27-2004, 09:26
Can someone recomend a good pair of zip pants? A pair that does not chaff in between the legs when you walk 100's of miles. I have a pair of mountain hardware zip pants that i took on the jmt and they killed my inner thighs. Rubbed them raw. They are heavy and over built for long distance hiking. Recomendations please. Has any one tried rei zip pants?

Happy
01-27-2004, 09:41
After reading several positive reviews by thru-hikers on Trailjournals I purchased a pair of the REI brand they recommended. I used them all of last year with my first hike in February and three more in March.

They were light enough to be provide comfort without chaffing and warm enough without overheating. I will continue to use them on my hikes.

dirtyhippieboy
01-27-2004, 11:17
Check out the Adventure Zip off pants by EMS. They really went all out to give people choices for a great fit. The pants come sized by waist, and by length (short, reg, long). I've been using them for 7 months and never hike in anything else since they fit so well. Great pocket design too, I'm a pocket junkie, and these ones were designed for people hiking in them all day. The standard seam/front pockets that every pant has were made a little deeper so you don't lose it's contents.

Brushy Sage
01-27-2004, 11:23
I have used a pair of Royal Robbins nylon/polyester zip-off trousers for three years, on and off the trail. They are holding up well. They have lots of pockets. They dry quickly. Though not insulated against cold temps (wear long underwear underneath), they are good wind breakers.

Rain Man
01-27-2004, 11:44
Can someone recomend a good pair of zip pants?

Uh... what are zip pants?

firefly
01-27-2004, 11:47
I have a pair of Gramicci Quick Dry zip pants that I love. Great pockets..they have held up for years of use. If you search on google using "Gramicci Outdoor Clothing" it will take you to several places that have them on sale now for under $35. I have another brand of zip pants that I like but I cannot backpack in them because the back pocket has a velcro closure that snags/catches on my backpack. The waistband is also a velcro closure and this is not very comfortable when wearing a pack.

Brushy Sage
01-27-2004, 11:51
Uh... what are zip pants?

I'm thinking they are pants that convert from long to short by zipping off the lower part of the pants legs -- a great way to create ventilation. I usually tied the zipped-off legs onto my backpack, so I could get to them easily when I stopped and started to chill down.

DebW
01-27-2004, 13:17
The current version of REI's zip-off pants have a security pocket with a zipper inside the right front pocket. My hip belt goes right on top of that zipper and is very uncomfortable, so I cut if off. I also don't like the amount of mesh they use in the pockets because things in my pockets catch on them. I do like the velcro tabs they put on the bottom of the pant legs in the 2002 version, because you can upzip the bottom of the legs to ventillate without the legs flopping around.

Moon Monster
01-27-2004, 21:37
I have tried two different brands: REI's convertables (men's "Sahara") and Ex Officio. Note my durability points and look for those in whatever make/model you buy.

REI
PROS: strong reliable zippers; L and R leg pieces are swappable; built-in belt (good for when you loose weight); durable material; roomy legs allow for cooler skin during hot weather; snap closure at the hip--is very durable
CONS: the mesh liners inside the pockets wear out eventually leaving you with holes; get very stiff with salt after several days without washing--this caused much painful chaffing during some late-April heat for me, I wound up switching to soft basketball type shorts (that had no zippers or pockets) for the rest of the summer

I expect to use these for years before they blow out. I just won't use them in the summer.

EX OFFICIO
PROS: very supple and comfortable material; quick dry
CONS: material wears fast; zippers are small and cheap and wear out fast; no belt so if you change in size you'll need to buy a belt and carry that too; button at the hip--buttons are less durable than snaps because they are attached by a few strands of thread; leg pieces do not swap so you have to actually think how you store them when they are not attached or else risk getting mixed up when reattaching