PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag advice

CarolinaJP
03-31-2008, 11:17
This is my first thread here, I have found lots of useful information but I am procrastinating on one issue. I like to use a 45 bag in the summer, If I add a liner...how much warmth will I be adding. Should I make my own? Is it worth just buying a lower degree bag? I will only be doing part 1 of the trail leaving around Mid May, can I make it with a 45 bag? Thanks, JP

Egads
03-31-2008, 17:24
CarolinaJP

The average low in Franklin NC for mid may is ~55*, the low record is ~35*. You need to decide if a 45* bag is enough. I would not bother with a liner, but would pack a Montbell UL down inner jacket ~7oz and fleece hat ~2.5 oz. This combination is much warmer and versatile than a liner. A liner adds only 2-4*.

Egads

Kirby
03-31-2008, 18:07
Carry either a 20 degree or 30 with a liner and you will be fine. I am currently carrying a 20 degree bag with a liner.

Kirby

saimyoji
03-31-2008, 19:23
Skip the "bag liner" and wear a warmer base layer. If'n you move around at night you'll get all twisted up in the liner, with a base layer it'll move with you, no worries. Of course, you should test before you hike. Good luck. :sun

Bulldawg
03-31-2008, 19:24
I tired a liner and like saimyoji says, I was all twisted up in a knot in that darned thing the next morning. Just wear a nice toasty base layer.

Blissful
03-31-2008, 20:22
I liked my liner, it was like having a sheet inside.

After Memorial Day, 40 degree will work fine. I had mine from Harpers Ferry until the WHites, but I carried my liner just in case. Never needed it.

Tinker
03-31-2008, 23:20
CarolinaJP

The average low in Franklin NC for mid may is ~55*, the low record is ~35*. You need to decide if a 45* bag is enough. I would not bother with a liner, but would pack a Montbell UL down inner jacket ~7oz and fleece hat ~2.5 oz. This combination is much warmer and versatile than a liner. A liner adds only 2-4*.

Egads

What he said.
It's tough to wear a liner around camp or on the trail, and if you need to get up in the middle of the night, it's nice to have an extra layer on which is already warmed by you in your sleeping bag. Make your extra clothing your "liner".

take-a-knee
03-31-2008, 23:48
The problem with a liner that has any real warmth/loft is room inside the bag.

Wise Old Owl
04-05-2008, 15:32
I tired a liner and like saimyoji says, I was all twisted up in a knot in that darned thing the next morning. Just wear a nice toasty base layer.

I discovered by "accident" wearing Polypro Long ski underwear/not cotton, at night allows one to get up at night and do ones business. Then you do not have to "reheat" the bag when jumping back in. - after that I gave up on the liner idea as its just one more thing to carry to keep the bag clean.

sofaking
04-05-2008, 15:38
i've never needed to use a liner.

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 15:46
Just got my daughter a Kelty 15*F synthetic bag. The thing is warm for sure. I do think though that the synthetic ratings are a bit low. I laid in it for about 10 minutes inside the house and wouldn't dare try anything below about 30*F in it.

sofaking
04-05-2008, 15:49
Just got my daughter a Kelty 15*F synthetic bag. The thing is warm for sure. I do think though that the synthetic ratings are a bit low. I laid in it for about 10 minutes inside the house and wouldn't dare try anything below about 30*F in it.
your house sounds kind of chilly

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 15:52
Well, we have turned the heat off, but I didn't say I was cold, I just said I didn't think it was that hot. One would assume laying in a 15*F bag in a house that is at the moment 65*F, you would get a little hot in 10 minutes.

sofaking
04-05-2008, 15:54
Well, we have turned the heat off, but I didn't say I was cold, I just said I didn't think it was that hot. One would assume laying in a 15*F bag in a house that is at the moment 65*F, you would get a little hot in 10 minutes.
i was jes messin...i thought i put one of those dern emoticons, but it ended up at the top.:bse

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 15:57
Oh OK OK. I bought her a 15*F bag for hiking in May-August, so she should be fine.