PDA

View Full Version : what kind of sleeping pad is best

DeeHiker
03-31-2008, 11:54
Hello Everyone,
I'm getting ready to order my sleeping pad. Will be hiking the AT for a week starting at Springer in May. Would appreciate your input. Leaning towards an inflatable....want a good night's sleep.

Thanks

JAK
03-31-2008, 12:05
I get a good night's sleep on a blue foam pad. Gotta keep them kidneys warm.

Sly
03-31-2008, 12:08
If you're going to be staying in lots of shelters a thick thermarest is best. In a tent just about anything will do.

Alligator
03-31-2008, 12:10
Where do you sleep [back, side, stomach, mixed]?

ASUGrad
03-31-2008, 13:41
I use a HUGE piece of thick foam. I have tried everything else and nothing works for me. It doesn't weigh very much but it is unwieldy.

Mags
03-31-2008, 14:06
AS others have mentioned, it all matters where/how you sleep.

Hard shelter? Tent? Stomach sleeper? Looking for light weight or more comfort?

In my opinion, there are three *BASIC* types. (Like any gear, you can spend endless time discussing the fine details, but I think the list below will give you the basics):

"Blue foam pad": The pad you see in big-box sports stores and XYZ type marts. They are cheap, light and thin. If you sleep mainly in a shelter and/or need more cushioning for a good nights sleep, DO NOT use this pad. They are great for ultralighters (esp. when cut down) who hike all day and do not camp much.

Ridge Rest/Z-Rest foam pads: Though functionally different, the Z-rest..(er Z-lite now!) and Ridge Rest are about the same in thickness for a foam pad. They are often a happy medium for people. They provide more comfort than a blue foam pad, but (usually) weigh less than Thermarest type pad. The Z-rest ..er Z-lite, is also very easy to use on a frameless ruck sack if you going a bit more lightweight. Use these pads if you want a mix of comfort vs. weight. They are also half way between the Blue foam pad and thermarest in price.

Thermarest type: On the expensive side, heavy and you sometime have puncture problems. They are considered to be very comfortable. If you sleep mainly in shelters (use a ground cloth underneath to help avoid punctures!), absolutely need the most comfortable nights sleep they are good way to go. The newer Thermarest type pads are increasingly lighter as well.

SUMMARY:
If you want cheap and light, go with the blue foam pad\

If you want more comfort, and don't mind the weight and price, go with the Thermarest type pads

If you want something in the middle, go with a Ridge Rest/Z-Rest

Finally, there is the 3/4 length (or less) vs. Full Length debate. If you are short, there really is no reason for a 6' length pad. Just roll up your extra clothes and use as a pillow and use the pack for your feet. If you are tall, then you may need a full length pad.

So, I would decide what you want out of pad, let us know, and we can help to narrow down the choice for you. :)

optimator
03-31-2008, 14:45
Big Agnes inflatable.....

Summit
03-31-2008, 15:19
I'll second the Big Agnes (since your requirement was "a good night's sleep"). Pads won't do unless you have the tendency to sleep like a rock on a rock! :eek: If you are mainly a warm weather hiker, then go with their cheaper "air core" models. If you want something that works in four seasons, the "dual core" (which is what I use) is excellent. At sub-freezing temperatures, I cannot feel any cold on the top of the mattress, even right next to my skin. And you'll sleep like a baby on it! :)

Jaybird62
03-31-2008, 15:20
Big Agnes inflatable.....

I second that ,third it whatever

Cabin Fever
03-31-2008, 15:49
I fourth Big Agnes. I have used the foam and inflatable Thermarests and they are no comparison. I am 220 lbs and I have never felt the ground using a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. Consider it a lightweight air mattress. It is also fairly small compared to other sleeping pads. The only and big downside is you have to blow it up manually. I can live with that in exchange for a comfortable night's sleep.

Peaks
03-31-2008, 16:16
Well, if you have done a full day's hiking, then you should have no problem falling asleep, even without a pad. That being said, the usual objective is to see how light a pad you can comfortablely get away with. Closed cell pads like the Z-rest and blue foam pad are cheap enough. Why not buy one and then try sleeping on your basement floor for a night or two. If it works there, it's going to work on the trail. If it doesn't, then consider an inflatable.

Mr HaHa
03-31-2008, 17:56
Thermarest Pro Lite 3 short model. 48" long ,weight 13oz. Rolls up small to go right into your pack. Gets the pressure points off the ground.

88BlueGT
03-31-2008, 21:02
I also use a BA insulated air core... no complaints, very comfortable. Kind of a pain blowing up but its worth it.

Summit
03-31-2008, 21:34
I also use a BA insulated air core... no complaints, very comfortable. Kind of a pain blowing up but its worth it.Not a pain with a BA Pumphouse! Works quite well, weighs 2 oz. and doubles as a silnylon stuff sack / pillow.

FeO2
03-31-2008, 21:38
Peak62 has Big Agnes Air Core Sleeping Pad- 3/4-Length rectangular- 20" x 48" x 2.5" on sale

30% OFF! $31.46

I just ordered one. :D

hopefulhiker
03-31-2008, 21:40
I hiiked the trail with a cut down z rest and a Big Agnes mummy insulated air mattress..
I was old then and needed the cushyness for the old bones....

Tinker
03-31-2008, 23:17
Big Agnes air core mummy with a 3/4 length of 3/8" blue foam should give you all the insulation and comfort you need. When in doubt of what's under your tent, you can place the blue foam underneath for more puncture resistance (works well on nail heads in shelter floors, too). When you want warmth, put the foam on top. In the dead of summer, a totally NON-insulated pad will be cooler than a T-Rest or insulated BA pad.