PDA

View Full Version : Best boots for indoor & outdoor hiking?

roundhouse
03-31-2008, 14:18
Need some recommendation on boots.

Have to be brown, and will be worn everyday, not just hiking. Has to be boots, not shoes, but low tops or lightweights will be fine.
Fabric is ok, does not have to be all leather.

My dress code at work requires brown or black boots.
No bright colors.

Work at a conference center type place, I do everything from cutting trees, to driving a bus to putting ice and drinks on the food bar, all in the same day.

I used to wear the Dexter Klondike, but they are no longer made, I loved the soft cushion sole, they wore out fairly quickly but were so comfy.

Any co make boots with a very soft squishy sole?

Also no pack weight, yet.

roundhouse
03-31-2008, 14:39
Forgot to mention they have to be a wide, a double or triple E.

taildragger
03-31-2008, 16:46
Do you need steal toes for the job (ANSI 75 or other)

Wags
03-31-2008, 17:07
you can always just get a replacement on an insole, if you like a boot but don't like the insole. superfeet

mudhead
03-31-2008, 17:25
http://www.dunhambootmakers.com/

If you need width.

Might try Zappos. Plug in your size, and refine the search from there.

The only boot I have seen with a squishy, soft sole, that comes in widths is Carolina Boot. They struck me as good warehouse boots.

Good luck.

brotheral
03-31-2008, 17:27
Several years ago I worked six 12 hour shifts a week for 3 months at a nuclear power station. I walked those concrete floors in a pair of merrell brown leather hiking boots. I think they were Eagles. Never had any discomfort. I don't think you can get 3E's in Merrell. Anyway, they changed their boot policy and required safety toes. I bought a pair of 6" Wolverine Durashocks, Style # 1694, and they've been great. Pretty sure these come in wide widths. Wolverine owns Merrell..They come with a steel, composite, or plain toe. I don't use them for hiking. (Sole is too smooth)
I have Asolo TPS 520 and Lowa Tempest for hiking...
Good Luck..........BrotherAL :-?

roundhouse
03-31-2008, 19:52
Dont need steel toes.

I have some Wolverines, dont like em, too stiff & too heavy.

Currently wearing some Timberlands like these that are ok, but not fabulous.
http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2343396&cp=1779791.1761081.1761136&pageDisplay=superfamily%2Cfilter&pageType=family&int_nextBucket=0&totalProductsCount=28&pageCount=2&pageBucket=0&pageNum=1&int_prevBucket=-1&page_bucket=0&page=2&showSizeSearch=true&hasPagination=false&parentPage=family

baddog
03-31-2008, 19:58
A while back I got a great pair of Wolverine hiking boots from Cabala's on sale for $79.95 in a 4E width. Wolverine is not a brand often mentioned on WB but they are well respected for thier work boots. I wear mine every single day and they are very comfortable and have brown gore-tex uppers. No break-in required and a good sole.

mudhead
03-31-2008, 20:01
Dont need steel toes.

I have some Wolverines, dont like em, too stiff & too heavy.

Currently wearing some Timberlands like these that are ok, but not fabulous.
http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2343396&cp=1779791.1761081.1761136&pageDisplay=superfamily%2Cfilter&pageType=family&int_nextBucket=0&totalProductsCount=28&pageCount=2&pageBucket=0&pageNum=1&int_prevBucket=-1&page_bucket=0&page=2&showSizeSearch=true&hasPagination=false&parentPage=family

Those look alot like some Dunhams that I rejected because of "Gortex."

roundhouse
03-31-2008, 21:05
Those look alot like some Dunhams that I rejected because of "Gortex."

Does the gore tex make your feet sweat?

brotheral
03-31-2008, 21:43
I suggest you contact a reputable outfitter nearby with a good selection of hiking /casual footwear. See if they have the width you need.... and something you can try on....
Happy Trails..........:sun

LIhikers
03-31-2008, 22:03
I like Vasque Clarion boots. I wear them most days at work and at home and find them very comfortable. Oh yea, I hike in them too!

Tinker
03-31-2008, 23:04
Find an outdoor store and try a bunch on. I've owned and liked:
Fabiano
Vasque
Asolo
REI
EMS
Limmer (custom, black, too expensive).
Dunham
Columbia
Montrail
Chaco
.........and a few more.
I find that footwear is impossible to recommend to other people other than on the merit of their design and durability.
What fits is best for indoor use (be willing to try sizes other than your "regular" size. My feet measure at 10.5 US men's. I've found boots up to size 13 which fit like a glove due to the different lasts upon which they are made.
Happy hunting.
Can I recommend here not to get Gore-Tex (especially for indoor use). My feet sweat terribly in it, even outdoors in the summer.