PDA

View Full Version : Ruf Wear Question

SweetAss03
03-31-2008, 16:07
Alright dog owners, has anyone out there tried the Ruff Wear Cloud Chaser Soft Shell Jacket for their pups? How was the fit?

I own two Weimaraners, one smaller female and one very large male. With the short hair they do sometime get a little cold and I would love to have these jackets for them however, they want a pretty penny for them at REI, so I'd like to know if they are worth the money. I know that if I don't like them I could take them back to REI however they are a lot cheeper on ebay so I would go that route (without the great return policy). Oh course that would count against my dividend...hummm.

Anyway let me know if anyone of you have tried these and what you think.

Thanks,
SweetAss

SweetAss03
03-31-2008, 20:07
For real? No one has used these?

Jaybird62
03-31-2008, 20:11
I use their boots but its better if i let my pup use them....seriously, I have been thinkin about getting one for her, but the boots are very well made and stay on her really well...

Bulldawg
03-31-2008, 20:18
How do your Weims do hiking? I have two Weims that I would love to take hiking with me, but they are so high strung I am afraid to do so.

Bulldawg
03-31-2008, 20:22
Oh yeah, what does your female weigh? I have two females. One seems puny to me at 60 pounds. The other female is a big ole gal, weighing in at about 80 pounds.

SweetAss03
03-31-2008, 23:29
My female does very well hiking, she is somewhat high strung (I know what you mean) But she is now 5 and a lot better. She is small but at 67 pounds a little bigger then yours. She carries her own pack but if it is really hot she gives me "the look" and I take it off and put it inside my pack. Very seldom she is on or needs a leash. #1 because I can hike for days on Eastern Washington Trails and not see another person (don't tell anyone). #2 because she response to verbal commands well esp. heal. Durring a few bear and couple cogar sightings she has performed well by freezing I then leash her while I take pictures.

As for the male, I don't know yet. He is a rescue and has had a hard 4 year life. Things are looking up for him and he is more social now. He is a large 95 pounds and was used as a stud dog (I've looked but can't find the work...plus my wife...) Anyway we have ran into a problem over the past 3 months. He came up with a limp after some leash trainning. He kept stopping right in front of me in mid step and would get kicked in the back of the leg. We took him to the vet who thought his leg was broken. Turns out that he had an old bullet, or large piece of metal inbedded in his back foot. Not sure how he will do all day hiking but I'll take him for some short ones to get a feel.

Sorry so long... And god bless Jimmy Buffett! Here is a boat drink for a fellow Parot Head!

SweetAss

Bulldawg
03-31-2008, 23:39
Awww man, your situation sounds a lot like mine. My two year old, smaller female, is a dog I bought as a 6 month old. My older dog, a five year old, is sort of a rescue. A poor widow had to give up her 12 year old son's dog because they could not afford to feed her (you know how much an 80 pound dog eats!). But the older dog I think is almost blind in one eye. I have papers on her. She is very protective of us too. So protective I am sure I could not even get close to a fellow hiker's dog without her creating a huge problem. Some guys stopped by here one day to look at a truck I had for sale. This big old grey dog got between me and these guys. When they tried to get closer to me, I thought she was going to chew their legs off. I think she would be the tamer dog on the trail (so far as not running 1/2 mile ahead), but I am not sure if she would keep up on big miles. Plus she is very stubborn. She responds well to verbal commands, unless she has her mind set on something else. Like a neighbor dog, if she is playing with a neighbor's dog, forget about calling her, you're wasting your breath.

Now my younger dog is very good at verbal commands, but is just so darned rambunctious, I am not sure how she'd do here in Georgia, where some days you can't go 100 yards without seeing someone on the trail. I have a couple of not so busy trails close by I am thinking about starting her on, to see how she does. Her size does worry me though. I always look at her compared to my other dog and think I'm not feeding her enough or something. The vet says not to worry, but I do.

I'll keep ya posted!!

Bulldawg
03-31-2008, 23:41
Oh yeah, sorry I can't help with jackets, never felt to need for them here in Georgia. I do have a Granite Gear Pack that I love, not sure how Daisy or Harley like it though, i can't get either one of them calm enough to put it on!!

SweetAss03
04-01-2008, 01:49
The Granite Gear Packs are great, that is what I use for my female. I have another one for my male that I can't wait to use. He let me put it on him so I doubt it is going to be a problem.

The only Granite Gear Pack that I like better is my Alpine Vapor! Greatest pack I have ever owned, just wish it was about 200 cubes smaller.

I hear you on the food, we have been using MaxPro but in about a week we will be switching to "Solid Gold." The lady swears up and down that the big male will only need about 1.5 cups per day and still mantain his weight with the female eating a cup. We shall see, there maybe a doggy riot at our how when the rations change. It's a holistic "no grain, wierd ass, my wife bought it" food.

We bought the female from the same person that we ended up getting the male from. I was pretty suspect when we got the female pup that he was running a puppy mill. He commited suicide about 7 months ago and I was asked if I would take his stud dog. Wow was he in bad shape. They had several Weimaraners on site and I've talked to a couple of people that ended up with dogs. All of us have had the same problems. The nice thing is that everyone that got dogs wanted the same thing... a loved Weimaraner. So we are all making good progress. Now if I could just get him from digging holes and hiding bones from his sister.

SweetAss

Mercy
04-04-2008, 15:24
I've got a Ruff Wear "K-9 overcoat" for my lab.

We're from the FL Keys, and when we go north camping, she wears her jacket for sleeping, and laying around camp in the evening.

She wears a medium, which fits her well, except that it is tight going over her head/ears.

Mercy

AlwaysHiking
04-04-2008, 16:13
Alright dog owners, has anyone out there tried the Ruff Wear Cloud Chaser Soft Shell Jacket for their pups? How was the fit?

I own two Weimaraners, one smaller female and one very large male. With the short hair they do sometime get a little cold and I would love to have these jackets for them however, they want a pretty penny for them at REI, so I'd like to know if they are worth the money. I know that if I don't like them I could take them back to REI however they are a lot cheeper on ebay so I would go that route (without the great return policy). Oh course that would count against my dividend...hummm.

Anyway let me know if anyone of you have tried these and what you think.

Thanks,
SweetAss

I don't have the Cloud Chaser, but I do have the Overcoat. I looked at the Cloud Chaser and decided I'd stick to the Overcoat. It's easier to get on/off and it seems to have more insulation even though it doesn't wrap all the way around.

Sizing with Ruff Wear seems to be hit or miss. My dog wears a L in the Overcoat, but a S in the packs and a M in the Cloud Chaser.

SweetAss03
04-05-2008, 00:17
Thanks for the info. I've thought about the overcoat, at least for my male who is still somewhat timid. REI while more expensive will at least let you put the stuff on and try it out for size. I might have to go that route.

SweetAss

wannabeoutdoors
04-05-2008, 20:34
i got one for my pitbull. she gets cold faster than my lab. it fits good easy to put on. i got mine off ebay also.