PDA

View Full Version : Jenkins Shelter

pkinnetz
03-31-2008, 18:04
I heard while I was out this weekend that they were considering taking the Jenkins Shelter down sometime this year because of overuse, presumably by locals. Has anyone heard more 'bout this, is it rumor or true? Are they replacing it with another shelter anywhere else?

c4jc88
11-19-2010, 01:23
Stayed here on my section hike last week - decent shelter with lots of water. However there was a bear hanging around the shelter that kept me up most of the night.... be bear aware if you stay there.

Jason
aka - Alaska

Berserker
03-08-2011, 13:39
Any recent updates on bear activity in this area? Also, there's information in the thread titled "Jenkins Shelter Condition Report" that says there is ample room for tents around this shelter. It is also mentioned that there is a decent area for tenting a tenth of a mile North. Any other good spots to set up tents in this area? How about North of here before VA 615?

Berserker
03-14-2011, 10:42
Any recent updates on bear activity in this area? Also, there's information in the thread titled "Jenkins Shelter Condition Report" that says there is ample room for tents around this shelter. It is also mentioned that there is a decent area for tenting a tenth of a mile North. Any other good spots to set up tents in this area? How about North of here before VA 615?
Didn’t see any signs of a bear near this shelter this past weekend. Just as the posts above indicate there is indeed room for many tents around the shelter. There is also a nice large spot a few hundred yards North on the AT near the stream. As for spots between Jenkins and 615 it’s dry the entire way, and one would have to carry water if camping anywhere in that area. There are some nice sites at 615 with picnic tables, but of course stay there at your own risk since it’s right on the road and locals can drive in there and car camp.

Berry Belle
10-08-2012, 22:42
Just stayed there last week. A sign on the shelter warned of an aggressive bear, but he didn't bother us. Trees good for hanging a bear bag are hard to find.

The composting toilet was filled almost to the seat. The rake was there, but I couldn't figure out how to lift or unlatch the top of the bin. Hopefully the caretaker got up there over the weekend to rake it and make room for more. Otherwise the place was clean and well-kept.

RED-DOG
10-09-2012, 14:46
I stayed at Jenkins Shelter on all Three of my Thru-Hikes Nice shelter,Nice area its one of the nicer shelters on the AT i hope they don't take it down.