PDA

View Full Version : Noc

Mrs Baggins
03-31-2008, 19:44
What's at the NOC? I have both the Appalachian Pages and the Handbook and neither one says a whole lot about the NOC. I'd like to resupply there, but with simple stuff like Lipton Sides, etc. - not high priced heavy freeze dried stuff. Can I get the simple stuff there???

Hooch
03-31-2008, 19:47
Mrs. Baggins, I was at the NOC a few weeks ago. The outfitter there is very limited in what it carries in the way of resupply for hikers, but does have a few simple things such as Lipton sides, a few toiletries, etc. About anything you get there is a bit on the pricey side, but you could probably make do there, IMO.

hopefulhiker
03-31-2008, 19:51
The NOC is the Natahala Outdoor Center. They have cabins, a resturaunt, an outfitter, and a kayak center there.. You can also mail stuff there.. But the outfitter is geared towards river running and has a limited supply of dehydrated foods.. It is possible to get some stuff but it is not a grocery store....

Appalachian Tater
03-31-2008, 19:52
The restaurant is pretty good. You might even think about getting something to go for your next meal.

SweetAss03
03-31-2008, 20:00
They do have people that will give you a ride into Bryson City. They have to large(ish) stores in town and some restaurnats/laundry/motel. Its is about 13? miles away and I think we paid $10 to get a ride into town. The phone #'s were in the information booth acrossed the street from the NOC.

SweetAss

Bulldawg
03-31-2008, 20:21
NOC is not Mountain Crossings, but it's a good place. I love it there. Was talking to my cousin today about taking our families up there in a few months for some rafting!!

Two Speed
03-31-2008, 20:35
I'm gonna second the comments about the restaurant. Definitely want to score a cheeseburger at the River Left. Can get a shower, do your laundry, but after that it's downhill. Limited resupply is the key concept. Used to be able to pick up a mail drop if you needed it.

Mrs. Baggins, have you checked out Baltimore Jack's on resupply? Shows in the articles list on the main page and is some good info if you're trying to do something longer than a week or so on the trail. Definitely good stuff for a thru to smoke over.

Bulldawg
03-31-2008, 20:37
Oh yeah, the restaurant. It is "off the chain" (I'm learning some new age teenager lingo at work!!) Back years ago, (not that many) when I used to drive a truck, I had to deliver a track hoe up there and just parked on the shoulder in front of NOC and went in to eat. Talk about some pissed off people on that little two lane road!!!

Two Speed
03-31-2008, 20:46
NOC is not Mountain Crossings, but it's a good place. I love it there. Was talking to my cousin today about taking our families up there in a few months for some rafting!!You do know that the hard core whitewater types view the Nantahala as a kiddie ride, don't you? Not that I wasn't impressed when I managed to cartwheel my drunken carcass over the side of a raft and had to do a scrub/spin/rinse cycle sans boat.

:banana :banana :banana :banana
. . . It is "off the chain" . . . Feel free to inform your teens that the first time I heard that it was from a gay Jamaican. Atlanter can be disorienting at times. :cool:

Bulldawg
03-31-2008, 20:47
Oh I know that the "hard cores" think it is. It is usually plenty for me though. I have this huge fear of drowning, ya know that part when ya die, thats the part that scares me.

Two Speed
03-31-2008, 21:05
Oh I know that the "hard cores" think it is. It is usually plenty for me though. I have this huge fear of drowning, ya know that part when ya die, thats the part that scares me.The sad part is I enjoyed getting flung out of the boat more than anything else.

May not have felt that way about it if I'd died.

minnesotasmith
04-01-2008, 06:21
They've got a pretty neat item in a big black frame on a column in the store. Check it out. ;)

jlb2012
04-01-2008, 07:55
Other than the outfitters there is also the Wesser General Store across the road - NOC advertising follows:
"Don't pack your drinks at home; we'll keep them cold here! The store, which carries basic first aid supplies, bread, milk, snacks, and assorted sandwiches from NOC's Slow Joe's Caf», specializes in wine and beer sales and is the only opportunity to purchase wine and beer between Bryson City and Andrews. The store features 46 beers, focusing on microbrews, and a similar number of fine wines in addition to housing the newly renovated Information Office where guests can check-in for clinics and lodging, and get information about all of the NOC's outdoor activities. Come check it out!"

sloopjonboswell
04-01-2008, 11:09
dont forget about the bar upstairs in relias restaurant, usually has live music on the weekends.

Blissful
04-01-2008, 12:20
I read on trail journals this year the resupply is minimal. I'd send a drop there, personally.

Midway Sam
04-01-2008, 12:31
Was there Thursday. VERY limited resupply opportunity at both the outfitter and the General Store. However, the Hot Wings at the Paddlers Pub were supurb, they have Yuengling on tap, and the two barmaids provieded wonderful conversation.

Mrs Baggins
04-01-2008, 12:34
Other than the outfitters there is also the Wesser General Store across the road - NOC advertising follows:
"Don't pack your drinks at home; we'll keep them cold here! The store, which carries basic first aid supplies, bread, milk, snacks, and assorted sandwiches from NOC's Slow Joe's Caf», specializes in wine and beer sales and is the only opportunity to purchase wine and beer between Bryson City and Andrews. The store features 46 beers, focusing on microbrews, and a similar number of fine wines in addition to housing the newly renovated Information Office where guests can check-in for clinics and lodging, and get information about all of the NOC's outdoor activities. Come check it out!"

Well hell! If there are microbrews available - who needs food:D I'm small, I can live off Guiness. Lots of Vitamin B! Kinda heavy to carry though.........might have to ditch the tent, clothing, and sleeping pad........:p

Sly
04-01-2008, 13:05
They've got a pretty neat item in a big black frame on a column in the store. Check it out.

Let me guess.... your Katahdin photo? :rolleyes:

minnesotasmith
04-01-2008, 13:34
Let me guess.... your Katahdin photo? :rolleyes:

Nope. Of course, you didn't get sent one...

Sly
04-01-2008, 14:02
Nope. Of course, you didn't get sent one...

LOL... I'm hurt! :p

PS One more guess Robert Frost poetry?

gungho
04-01-2008, 23:01
I would recommend using a mail drop their, unless you can arrange for someone to take you into Bryson city where they have an ingles off of exit #67. The wesser general store is very basic and one could probably make do,but I wouldn't rely on it. A mail drop would allow you to belly up to the bar, relax with a hot shower and feast on their great food.

Socrates
04-01-2008, 23:09
Re-supply wasn't great for me last year... Also, don't depend on them for a nice shower and place to stay... When I got there some time in March, a Christian youth group had invaded and there was nothing except some expensive cabins left... I ended up camping downstream next to the river, even though I wasn't allowed...

gungho
04-01-2008, 23:13
I have always been lucky when going thru that section, I have heard of people coming across that situation before as well.

johnnyblisters
04-02-2008, 16:06
I resupplied just fine there, as long as your not picky they should have a few liptons and other junk to get you north. The only thing I actually liked about the NOC was the burgers (plural).

bluffhead
07-09-2009, 10:30
thanks for clearing noc up the only thing i think of when i hear see that is Network operation center

Mrs Baggins
07-09-2009, 16:29
I resupplied just fine there, as long as your not picky they should have a few liptons and other junk to get you north. The only thing I actually liked about the NOC was the burgers (plural).

As it turned out I didn't resupply there at all. I did eat a cheeseburger and some beers, and had a great breakfast the next day before heading out again. Oh, and I bought a 2 ltr bladder and ditched the water bottles.

Pedaling Fool
07-09-2009, 17:24
Hiker can't pass up the breakfast at NOC - at least I couldn't, along with a few others... (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=14206&c=member&imageuser=6936)