PDA

View Full Version : Hummus

Happy
01-27-2004, 17:43
I have just become a big fan of hummus for snacks or lunch and want to take it on my future hikes. From some of you with experience...how long will it usually last before becoming unsafe to eat?

smokymtnsteve
01-27-2004, 17:48
I use a dry hummus "powder" that I get at a local co-op...mix with water and olive oil. last "forever" in the dry state.

carmax
01-27-2004, 17:49
I have just become a big fan of hummus for snacks or lunch and want to take it on my future hikes. From some of you with experience...how long will it usually last before becoming unsafe to eat?
Hi Happy,

You may want to try Fantastic Foods hummus. It comes dry in a box. Just add cold water and oil, wait five minutes and presto! You've got hummus. Not as good as fresh hummus, but pretty good for trail food.

chris
01-27-2004, 18:02
Ditto with the dried hummus. My local store has it in bulk and that makes it convenient. When you finish eating a small, plastic jar of peanut butter, save the container. When you want a little hummus, put some powder in, a little water, and
oil, if you have it, put the cap on the jar and shake it up. Hummus with nothing to clean up.

As far as fresh hummus goes, you shouldn't get anything funky for a couple of days. I've carried around hummus made from powder for 3 days (in 95 degree heat) with only a slight smell to it, but no taste issues.

Happy
01-27-2004, 18:28
Thanks guys, never thought about the drystuff :datz ; I guess just because my daughter who backpacks with me some...has been the real fan of it, until now.

Just checked by backpacking food stash and guess what...Fantastic Food Spinach & Parmesan Hummus. I always carry olive oil so I'M in business.

Chris that's a good idea with the peanut jar...but I made one of SGT Rock's lemonaid jars and use it as my mug, plate, measurer, hydrator and cozie.
I just use it at lunch and keep the extra (if any) sealed for an afternoon break/snack or appetizer with dinner.

Fantastic Foods has some great backpacking meals, I found...Instant... refried beans, black beans, taco filling & sloppy joe mix.

snuffleupagus
01-27-2004, 18:40
Thanks guys, never thought about the drystuff :datz ; I guess just because my daughter who backpacks with me some...has been the real fan of it, until now.
Fantastic Foods has some great backpacking meals, I found...Instant... refried beans, black beans, taco filling & sloppy joe mix.
What exactly is hummus? Is it a legume? Or a grit? What is the flavor like? I've heard of it but I haven't tried it before.:rolleyes:

Happy
01-27-2004, 18:51
It is made from crushed Garbanzo beans, sesame tahini and olive oil and flavored with different things such as onion, garlic, peppers, olives, cheese, etc. It is comparable to a bean dip texture and is good with Pita bread or some crusty bread. Great for snacks or lunch.

gravityman
01-27-2004, 19:16
It is made from crushed Garbanzo beans, sesame tahini and olive oil and flavored with different things such as onion, garlic, peppers, olives, cheese, etc. It is comparable to a bean dip texture and is good with Pita bread or some crusty bread. Great for snacks or lunch.

Gabanzo beans = Chick Peas BTW