PDA

View Full Version : Into the Wild

hammer89
03-31-2008, 22:23
Has anyone seen the movie, Into the Wild?
If so, what did you think of it?
I personally thought it was a great movie and am looking forward to reading the book.

aaroniguana
03-31-2008, 22:31
Movie good, book better, 20 page long thread about it someplace here.

hammer89
03-31-2008, 22:33
really? I'll have to check that out.

Pacific Tortuga
03-31-2008, 22:39
Go to "search" and you'll find a lot of dialogue on the subject.
I thought both were great.

hammer89
03-31-2008, 22:44
yeah nevermind this post, haha.

warraghiyagey
03-31-2008, 22:55
Shreild your eyes on the other threads you find hammer
There's some inexplicable haters out there for this beautiful sole who died so young.
A supernova I guess
Thanks VF

Darwin again
04-01-2008, 10:03
There's some inexplicable haters out there for this beautiful sole who died so young.
A supernova I guess
Thanks VF

Hate is a strong word.
He starved to death.
How romantic.:rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 10:04
A supernova I guess
Thanks VF

sole is a fish

Flush2wice
04-01-2008, 10:36
sole is a fish
...and the bottom of a foot

scope
04-01-2008, 11:12
I know there's that whole other thread, but just wanted to chime in here as I saw the movie first and then read the book. The newest edition of the book offers a better explanation for what happened to him - mold induced involutary starvation. Good read and the book offers more personal insight from the author that wasn't in the movie.

Lots of folks seem to think this guy was an idiot, and certainly he had a flawed outlook on society in general as well as a naive trust of himself and paper ideas, but his story is interesting in terms of just how well he was able to do on his own with so little in the way of what is normal in our lives, AND what he was able to experience as a result.

My wife, who cares little for the outdoors, and who somehow missed out on any of the reporting of the story in Atlanta, absolutely loved the movie.

sheepdog
04-01-2008, 11:38
I watched the movie...I really liked it. Yeah he made a mistake and it got him killed. Most of us who have been around a bit have probably made mistakes that could of killed us also.
I remember some friends and I were about 19. We spent almost a half day running around in the tidal flats in Valdez AK. We found out later that there is a tidal quick sand that can suck you in and hold you until;
A. you die of hypothermia (the sand & water are very cold)
B. The tide comes in and you drown
C. You get rescued which is supposed to be quite tricky.
Sometimes you live and learn, sometimes you die.

JAK
04-01-2008, 11:38
On the practical side, I'm don't think it was the mold that killed him. Though it certainly contributed, I think he was already at risk. It is true that the moose hunters might have saved him had he not suffered the poisoning, but something else might have gotten him before then. I think his inability to cross the river was also partly due to his condition at that critical time. Had he more physical and mental energy at that time he might have been better able to take his chances and find a way across, or at least better able to make the better decision, whatever it was.

I think the story illustrates just how critical, yet how physically and technically difficult it is, to find safe sources of carbohydrates in the wild. Sources of fat are usually scarce also. Protien is not so scarce, but your body can only convert so much protien to carbohydrates each day, and your brain needs carbohydrates. Also, while your body can trudge a long way on body fat, to attempt something like a river crossing you really need to be loaded up on carbs to be physically and mentally prepared to attempt it. Carbs are key. It's easy to say he should have lugged in another 10 pounds or so of rice or flour or honey or whatever, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

I'm just saying that besides all the other issues we shouldn't lose sight of this important lesson.
Carbs are critical.

sheepdog
04-01-2008, 11:44
I know his weakend condition made the river crossing tough but, there may not have been enough carbs in the world to help him cross that river. That river was glacier and snow melt fed. Very cold running very high and fast. You would need a real good plan and good gear to get across.

earlyriser26
04-01-2008, 11:54
Various "theories", but it looks like he just plain starved to death. He weighed only 67 lbs at time of death. The movie did not do it justice. Think death camp thin. Mold? Bad plants? Nothing romantic here, just a slow suicide.

JAK
04-01-2008, 12:19
Good point about the river. That is an important lesson also. They can become very serious barriers. I do understand that he starved to death. I'm just saying that its still an important lesson just how important carbs are well before it reaches that point. It's easy to right stuff like this off as slow suicide, but there are important details to be learned or reminded of, and you don't get that by oversimplifying it.

People like to oversimplify things. The local fisherman say that kayakers should never go out on the Bay of Fundy, any time of the year. People say its 40F, all year round, and you will die in 2 minutes, and BS like that. Yeah sure OK. Wank wank wank. Pass the toilet paper. If you want to stay home stay home, but if you want to go, do your own research and don't oversimplify it. Pay attention to the folklore, but go deeper than the superficial children's stories. That's all I'm saying.

sheepdog
04-01-2008, 12:31
Various "theories", but it looks like he just plain starved to death. He weighed only 67 lbs at time of death. The movie did not do it justice. Think death camp thin. Mold? Bad plants? Nothing romantic here, just a slow suicide.
Maybe nothing romantic in the death....but perhaps something romantic in his life. I'll bet most of us hikers have had the passing fancy of chucking it all and heading "Into the Wild".

tlbj6142
04-01-2008, 12:38
My wife, who cares little for the outdoors, and who somehow missed out on any of the reporting of the story in AtlantaTell her not worry. If it wasn't for this thread, I'd never heard of the story either. But, then, I don't watch much TV and I never read/watch/listen to the news.

Might pick-up the book on the ride home.

partinj
04-01-2008, 12:42
You guys might want to check out your local library i just got the movie from mine. gone to watch it tonight.
:-?

tlbj6142
04-01-2008, 12:49
You guys might want to check out your local library i just got the movie from mine. gone to watch it tonight.
:-?My library has the movie and the old edition of the book. But they don't carry newer version of the book.

hammer89
04-01-2008, 19:40
I am reading the book now and would recomend it.

It would be easy to say that its suicide. But a movie can only do so much. Would you really think someone could diet down to 67 pounds? Not likely. The author may have put some of his insight into the story, but Chris McCandless kept a journal, so i think he made it as accurate as possible

aaroniguana
04-01-2008, 20:45
I know his weakend condition made the river crossing tough but, there may not have been enough carbs in the world to help him cross that river. That river was glacier and snow melt fed. Very cold running very high and fast. You would need a real good plan and good gear to get across.

He didn't NEED to ford the river. He only explored it in one direction. Had he gone the other, there was a cable and basket used by lineman that would have saved his life.

I think he had the right ideas but when you screw around with mother nature your life becomes a crap shoot. Wandering into that vast and harsh a wilderness unsupported and alone is not the best move on the board.

river1
04-01-2008, 21:14
Read the book and saw the movie and both were ok.. Its a sad story, a troubled young man who had one heck of a adventure after college.. To bad he died but nature can be very unforgiving and he was lucky to have made it as long as he did.. He should have come to his senses before he starved himself to death.. He carried too much emotional baggage and not enough gear.. I think he was a ultra lighter..

Socrates
04-01-2008, 21:26
I don't have patience for books, but the movie was great. I'll admit it, I got teary eyed when he died and then switched to the real picture of him in front of the bus. Since I had never heard of his story, I had no idea he was going to die at the end of the movie. Maybe not a poetic death, but there was something poetic about his heart. We all live different lives partially because of circumstance and we all make mistakes so I won't dare judge him or his life.

rafe
04-01-2008, 21:27
I don't have patience for books...

You might want to change your moniker, in that case. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 21:48
once again, a jerimiah johnson wannabe dies in the woods from stupidity, they make a movie and people cry over it. :rolleyes:

GGS2
04-01-2008, 22:34
You might want to change your moniker, in that case. :rolleyes:

Socrates didn't write any books that survive and there's not much to indicate he read much either. He's on the cusp of the loquacious age. It was his student, Plato, who did the writing, and in the process, seems to have overthought his mentor a touch. Socrates operated by the pithy question. He was undoubtedly familiar with the plays of the tragedies and comedies of his contemporaries, and with the discussions of the agora and the Greek institutions that would seem to us rather like booze-ups (maybe a ruck?), but those were oral, not written. Socrates was very like what the Indians call a satguru. The wisdom he taught was the wisdom of the empty mind. He taught no system nor any doctrine. The so-called Socratic method consists in asking questions to expose the weaknesses of any fixed position.

hammer89
04-01-2008, 22:34
Read the book and saw the movie and both were ok.. Its a sad story, a troubled young man who had one heck of a adventure after college.. To bad he died but nature can be very unforgiving and he was lucky to have made it as long as he did.. He should have come to his senses before he starved himself to death.. He carried too much emotional baggage and not enough gear.. I think he was a ultra lighter..

its not like he tried to starve himself. he ate a poisonous plant. and was too weak to make it back to civilization. did you miss that part?

Socrates
04-01-2008, 22:59
Also, while I admire a part of his heart, I also see his mistakes, but that doesn't mean I pass judgment on him... Sometimes, maybe it's best to just take the good you like and leave the rest and if anything, it's a reminder or learning tool for specific others... I enjoyed the movie... Not only was he within a reasonable distance of some kind of cable car, but also within a reasonable distance from a ranger's station. (I've read.) ... While intentions can be honorable, there's something to be said for reality... Maybe something as common as a map may have saved his life...

And for whoever said it was suicide, let's not abuse that word... When the moose hunters arrived, they found a note attached to the door of the bus that said something to the effect of "HELP, I am in very weak condition and have gone to pick berries. Will be back before night. This is not a joke"... But as we know, was found dead inside the bus...

In the end, no insults need be slung... Just a very unfortunate situation...

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2008, 00:16
its not like he tried to starve himself. he ate a poisonous plant. and was too weak to make it back to civilization. did you miss that part?

They made up that part about the poisonous plant for the movie. Also he could have easily crossed the river upstream or downstream. Something else, in real life he had plenty of cash when they found him.

I did enjoy the movie.

aaroniguana
04-02-2008, 01:16
They made up that part about the poisonous plant for the movie.

No, actually that was in the book, but Krakauer admitted it was conjecture on his part (though he did consult with locals and a forensic botanist to gather evidence for this theory).

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 01:37
diet down to 67lbs? Un-intentionally? due to some sort of disease or sickness... yes.

I also seen the movie and thought it was really good, no matter what anyone says. I didnt read into every word and every scene like some people did though. Take it for what it is, watch the movie and enjoy.

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 01:38
Let me say that again... maybe not really good, but *pretty good*

camojack
04-02-2008, 03:53
You can see what really happened to that McCandless kid HERE (http://www.adultswim.com/ecards/snowman/message1/index.html?FromName=jennifer&ToName=emerson). :eek:

earlyriser26
04-02-2008, 07:49
Once again, there were no indications that he ate plants that made him sick. Just a theory from the book. The new theory is that mold may have killed him. I think that he was a very self centered person that thought nothing of his family or society. He intentionally put himself in his position. He wasn't a Jerimiah Johson wanabe. (My favorite movie of all time) Johson was trying to survive and not make things more dificult.

clured
04-02-2008, 08:14
I don't really respect people that take risks with their lives like that. He went out deliberately unprepared (a sack of rice, c'mon..), which is foolish and insulting to the dignity of human (your) life. Based on the portrait of him in the book, I also thought that he seemed really immature and affected; I couldn't shake the suspicion that the whole thing was just a ploy to live out some stupid Jack Kerouac (biggest fraud/prat/tool in American history/literature) fantasy.

rafe
04-02-2008, 09:30
I couldn't shake the suspicion that the whole thing was just a ploy to live out some stupid Jack Kerouac (biggest fraud/prat/tool in American history/literature) fantasy.

Jack London, in McCandless' case. Not Kerouac.

sheepdog
04-02-2008, 09:42
Immature, illadvised, unprepared, foolish, silly.....Look in the dictionary for a 23 year old. Its all part of the definition.
It goes along with, adventurous, living on the edge, thrill seeking, fun loving, living life to the fullest.

He was a young man seeking adventure. He made several mistakes and he died. When you were 23 did you ever; drive too fast, drink too much, take a dumb risk? Thats the thing about being young...you die or you grow up.

A life of adventure can kill you young, or give you a long life worth living. Ya roll the dice, you take your chances.

Jim Adams
04-02-2008, 09:46
You can see what really happened to that McCandless kid HERE (http://www.adultswim.com/ecards/snowman/message1/index.html?FromName=jennifer&ToName=emerson). :eek:
Camo,
That rocks!LMAO

geek

earlyriser26
04-02-2008, 09:59
Immature, illadvised, unprepared, foolish, silly.....Look in the dictionary for a 23 year old. Its all part of the definition.
It goes along with, adventurous, living on the edge, thrill seeking, fun loving, living life to the fullest.

He was a young man seeking adventure. He made several mistakes and he died. When you were 23 did you ever; drive too fast, drink too much, take a dumb risk? Thats the thing about being young...you die or you grow up.

A life of adventure can kill you young, or give you a long life worth living. Ya roll the dice, you take your chances.
There is a difference between taking risk and creating risk.

sheepdog
04-02-2008, 10:01
There is a difference between taking risk and creating risk.

We are both over 50 so we know that. At 23 ??????

tlbj6142
04-02-2008, 10:39
He was a young man seeking adventure. He made several mistakes and he died. When you were 23 did you ever; drive too fast, drink too much, take a dumb risk? Thats the thing about being young...you die or you grow up.While this may be true during short durations and/or spontaneous actions, he had plenty of time (and warning from others) to become better prepared for his adventure. Which means he made a conscious decision to just be stupid (worthless map, unprepared, etc.) and hope things would work out.

It is not like he decided to make this trip at 9am and by 9:15am he was in the backcountry.

sheepdog
04-02-2008, 10:54
While this may be true during short durations and/or spontaneous actions, he had plenty of time (and warning from others) to become better prepared for his adventure. Which means he made a conscious decision to just be stupid (worthless map, unprepared, etc.) and hope things would work out.

It is not like he decided to make this trip at 9am and by 9:15am he was in the backcountry.

Alex, give me "Young Guys" for $200.
The answer is "Time and Warnings"
What is frequently wasted and often ingored?

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2008, 11:04
diet down to 67lbs? Un-intentionally? due to some sort of disease or sickness... yes.Was that his weight when he died or when they weighed his corpse several weeks later?

ozt42
04-02-2008, 12:07
I have to agree with the "haters" the kid was a jackass. A little planning ahead and some useful research into the food resources in the area he was planning on living in would have told him to pick a different location. learning the basics of food preservation would have saved his life along with a thousand other little tid bits of information he could have picked up from a public library or better yet a knowledgeable local.

He wasn't even in the darn wilderness, he was living in a BUS, on a ROAD (mostly impassible, granted) within 10 miles of half a dozen CAMPS. A dose of common sense, a little bit of planning an 50 bucks worth of supplies would have saved his life.

Of course, had he lived he would have romantic hero status unless he figured out how to kill himself off in some other creative way.

sheepdog
04-02-2008, 12:34
Of course, had he lived he would have romantic hero status unless he figured out how to kill himself off in some other creative way.

Had he lived, he would have just been another bad planner who lucked out. It was only by dieing that he gained (perhaps) romantic hero status.

doggiebag
04-02-2008, 12:55
Had he lived, he would have just been another bad planner who lucked out. It was only by dieing that he gained (perhaps) romantic hero status.
I see no planning on his part - he wasn't even in the wilderness. He was living in a bus within 32 miles of a major thoroughfare and within 16 miles of a heavily used road in Denali National Park. That bus was within a 2 to 3 hour hike of at least 4 cabins - at least one of which was stocked with food. Planning would have included at least a map and more than a 10 pound bag of rice. If they find anyone starved to death with cash on their person - I don't think wilderness expediton planning was part of their major skill sets.

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2008, 12:56
It was a good movie.

earlyriser26
04-02-2008, 13:13
Was that his weight when he died or when they weighed his corpse several weeks later?
Not sure where I read this, but I think it was an estimate at time of death.

earlyriser26
04-02-2008, 13:25
It was a good movie.
I liked the book and the movie (my wife hated it, but she hated the kid for being a jerk and treating his family so bad. He may have had reasons for not liking his father, but the mother and sister had no contact from him either.

Pony
04-02-2008, 13:43
I liked the book and the movie, though I liked the book better. I thought the movie made him look a bit more insane than the book portrayed, and the movie didn't go into detail about the possibility that it may have been the mold that killed him. Instead, it made a point of showing that he misidentified the plants. I do think he was a jerk the way he treated his family, he could have at least called his sister. As far as planning, I think he intentionally underplanned and had some idea of the risks involved, and that was part of why he did what he did. I agree with his sentiment, but he didn't need to put himself in that kind of danger.

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2008, 13:47
I liked the book and the movie (my wife hated it, but she hated the kid for being a jerk and treating his family so bad. She didn't like Silence of the Lambs either, because Hannibal Lecter was a bad boy?

I thought it was really more of a "road trip" movie than a "wilderness adventure" movie.

doggiebag
04-02-2008, 13:47
I liked the book and the movie (my wife hated it, but she hated the kid for being a jerk and treating his family so bad. He may have had reasons for not liking his father, but the mother and sister had no contact from him either.
I saw no reason for punishing the family with the daily uncertainty of his whereabouts. He was a grown man of legal age that can do what he wanted. But letting family go through the agony of the unknown was pretty insensitive. I too enjoyed the book and the movie - thought it is what it is: Someone with a lot of emotional baggage trying to find himself by isolating himself from all the security of society, betting big and losing his life.

clured
04-02-2008, 14:14
Jack London, in McCandless' case. Not Kerouac.

No, I mean Kerouac. McCandless sounded like a modern day Kerouac: an affected infatuation with the "glamour" of poverty, ungratefulness, the tendency to make romantic idiotic, vapid, non-goal-oriented wandering.

I hate hate hate hate Kerouac. "On the Road" is the biggest abomination of literature in American history. McCandless rubbed me in the same way.

Jim Adams
04-02-2008, 14:42
No, I mean Kerouac. McCandless sounded like a modern day Kerouac: an affected infatuation with the "glamour" of poverty, ungratefulness, the tendency to make romantic idiotic, vapid, non-goal-oriented wandering.

I hate hate hate hate Kerouac. "On the Road" is the biggest abomination of literature in American history. McCandless rubbed me in the same way.

come on...open up...tell us how you REALLY feel!:banana

geek

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2008, 15:28
I saw a Kerouac exhibit at the main library a month or so ago. He was more of a imaginative nut than I realized. He invented an entire fantasy world of baseball including newspapers and betting sheets. His manuscript for "On the Road" was typed on a roll of paper that they had stretched out along the length of the room.

earlyriser26
04-02-2008, 15:41
She didn't like Silence of the Lambs either, because Hannibal Lecter was a bad boy?

I thought it was really more of a "road trip" movie than a "wilderness adventure" movie.
No, she kind of liked Lecter. He was very polite.

dctax4u
04-02-2008, 16:36
The wife and I saw the movie a week ago, and I kept thinking he seemed to be on a death wish. I mean burning all of your money, then taking a kayak down the colorado river with no preperation, and then deciding to hike off into the Alaska Wilderness. I bring a car load of equipment for a two day hike in the GW Forest.

camojack
04-02-2008, 17:51
Camo,
That rocks!LMAO

geek
Heh, heh... :D

Darwin again
04-02-2008, 19:41
Lesson? Darwin ALWAYS wins. Always.

tina.anderson
04-03-2008, 13:34
I liked the book and the movie, though I liked the book better. I thought the movie made him look a bit more insane than the book portrayed, and the movie didn't go into detail about the possibility that it may have been the mold that killed him. Instead, it made a point of showing that he misidentified the plants. I do think he was a jerk the way he treated his family, he could have at least called his sister. As far as planning, I think he intentionally underplanned and had some idea of the risks involved, and that was part of why he did what he did. I agree with his sentiment, but he didn't need to put himself in that kind of danger.

I will give the book a try, but I didn't like the movie at all, just for those reasons you mentioned.

Pony
04-03-2008, 16:02
Give it a try, I'm sure there are a lot worse books out there. I think the book gives a little more insight as to what was on his mind. For instance he was obsessed about the idea of stopping hunger, probably why he gave his college fund to Oxfam. The movie never mentioned this or the fact that he made a friend of his drive around the city giving food to homeless people. The friend thought they were going out to have a good time.

oyvay
04-10-2008, 01:34
Proenneke: WW2 veteran, trained as a naval mechanic, no college, lived in Anchorage a couple of years, had many friends and aquaintences, kept in contact with family....while building his own cabin by hand (in his 50s) in the Twin lakes area in Alaska and living there year round for 25 years (1969-1995), had a pension from the navy, got supplies and mail flown in. Passed away in 2003 from a stroke while living with his brother in California.
His book "Alone in the Wilderness," details his life in Alaska the first year and his own movie (1 hr.) of him building the cabin. REALLY, REALLY GREAT!

McCandless: Economics degree from Emory U., in his 20s, no military training, never been to Alaska, did not know anyone there, no contact with family and living in abandoned bus.

I read both books and enjoyed them, but was disappointed with the stupid, fatal mistakes of McCandless did. Proenneke admits he made a few dumb mistakes, but his were not fatal.

Press
04-10-2008, 22:35
I thought the movie was way way better than the book. Sean Penn did a terrific job with the movie, the cinematography was beautiful and it is a great story. Obviously the kid was unprepared for what he was getting into, but while this is a true story, it's not a "documentary." The music added a lot to it as well. Maybe this should be in the other thread, but I just saw the movie a few days ago. Seems like everyone is hung up on the true story, not the movie. The movie is a movie, a film, a work of art more or less. I get more enjoyment out of it by viewing it almost as fiction than by trying to critique how dumb the kid was for starving to death relatively near civilization.

Panzer1
04-10-2008, 23:08
Proenneke admits he made a few dumb mistakes, but his were not fatal.

Some of them were only luck that he was not killed. Like the time a Grisly bear had him down on the ground and sniffed him and decided to let him go. Just luck there.

Panzer

warraghiyagey
04-10-2008, 23:17
I don't do the whole 'heroes' thing. But Alexander Supertamp, Chris McCandless. . . well my best friends are my only heroes and he would have been one if I had been fortunate enough to know him.

Erin
04-10-2008, 23:49
I read the book when it came out and saw the movie last weekend. I liked the book better. The Movie? The music and scenery were good, but I thought the movie was boring. Chris Mc. came off as an engaging introvert, but I am still convinced as when I read the book, that he had a personality disorder bordering on mental illness. When I watched the movie, I kept hoping he had chosen to hike the AT instead of going to Alaska for his wonderlust. He is not a hero. Kids his age are getting killed in Iraq everyday. But his story was intriguing.

jersey joe
04-11-2008, 09:21
He is not a hero. Kids his age are getting killed in Iraq everyday. But his story was intriguing.
You can't say anyone is or isn't a hero, you can say they aren't YOUR hero.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2008, 09:21
he did nothing heroic

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 09:23
I don't do the whole 'heroes' thing. But Alexander Supertamp, Chris McCandless. . . well my best friends are my only heroes and he would have been one if I had been fortunate enough to know him.
IT wasn't implied that he did.;)

jersey joe
04-11-2008, 09:37
he did nothing heroic
Giving everything you own to a charity that feeds hungry people could be seen as heroic.

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 09:41
Giving everything you own to a charity that feeds hungry people could be seen as heroic.
Dude, don't even bother. Our friend has proven a keen satisfaction in the death of this kid many, many times here.
You're not ging to change his mind.;)

Lone Wolf
04-11-2008, 09:43
Dude, don't even bother. Our friend has proven a keen satisfaction in the death of this kid many, many times here.
You're not ging to change his mind.;)

BS bunghole. where did i ever say i was satisfied that the kid was dead?

KirkMcquest
04-11-2008, 09:47
Has anyone seen the movie, Into the Wild?
If so, what did you think of it?
I personally thought it was a great movie and am looking forward to reading the book.

The kid did alot of amazing things. The movie portrayed him as a poetry spewing holy man, basically the second coming. The book was alot more down-to-earth.

After reading the book I actually turned the movie off half-way, I thought it made the kid look like a fairy.

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 09:48
LW, you've posted dozens of times about this kid on a number of different threads for the better part of a year. That's been the gist if your message.
Sorry how I said it, but that's what it's looked like all this time coming from you - a complete lack of compassion. It's been a bummer cuz I know you're a good dude.

KirkMcquest
04-11-2008, 09:50
...It's been a bummer cuz I know you're a good dude.

LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL...etc.....LOL:banana

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 10:33

The Lone Wolf files from other Into The Wild threads.

1) "cuz it probly sucks. nothin to see. rich kid dies. darwin wins:)"

2)
Originally Posted by The Old Fhart http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=410548#post410548)
He got to the raging stream that he could not ford so he stayed in the nearby bus until he died.

puss. he shoulda gone to the Wolf and Warren School of Raging River Fording. waitin' on a canoe is bogus

3) "runs away, gives up all cash and possessions and pretty much commits suicide cuz daddy lied to him"

4) "oh boy! here we go! the kid was ignorant. foolish."

5) "a real man would have left an itinerary and/or had someone with him"

6) "i read into this kid. freakin ignorant comes to mind. i hope his death meant something to him"

7) "shut up mouth. what focus? the kid is a dead idiot"

8) "not a fool. WAS a fool. past tense"

9) "i never dreamed of doing the stupid things he did. i at least woulda bought gear and food instead of giving away $$$"

10)Originally Posted by trisha_38 http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=499240#post499240)
how can you judge him???
"easily........."

11) "once again, a jerimiah johnson wannabe dies in the woods from stupidity, they make a movie and people cry over it."

Say you were satisfied? I didn't suggest you "said" it. You've showed it. . . uh . . . bunghole, I believe it was?

jersey joe
04-11-2008, 10:44
Seems wolf thinks the kid was foolish for his actions, but I don't see anywhere where he is HAPPY the kid died...I have found that people typically get overly offended when you criticize someone who has died.

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 10:49
Seems wolf thinks the kid was foolish for his actions, but I don't see anywhere where he is HAPPY the kid died...I have found that people typically get overly offended when you criticize someone who has died.

Well, that smiley face at the top of his quotes was put there by him, not me.

Lone Wolf
04-11-2008, 10:51
Well, that smiley face at the top of his quotes was put there by him, not me.

give it a rest :rolleyes: go hikin' or somethin

warraghiyagey
04-11-2008, 10:53

Well said:)

KirkMcquest
04-11-2008, 21:25

Why can't you just admit that warrswhatever is right?? He has reprinted your exact words. Not big enough, huh?:-?

Lone Wolf
04-11-2008, 21:49
Why can't you just admit that warrswhatever is right?? He has reprinted your exact words. Not big enough, huh?:-?

take your ritalin little boy. :D

Lyle
04-12-2008, 00:16
I would have liked to have known him. He lived a very interesting and even productive couple of years after college, in an untraditional way. Probably did more living than most of us, even those of us who take our nice, safe, fully prepared for hikes in the "wilderness".

He taught himself a very good lesson - that the good things are best when shared. If he had survived, I dare say he would have been an amazing person to know - he seemed to have touched many he met. A good life isn't necessarily measured in years. Here's to ya, Alex! RIP

SunnyWalker
04-16-2008, 22:53
Based my comments upon the movie (I have only pereused the book) I was kind of bored. To me the movie showed a fellow who might have been educated but was very naive, idealistic, unrealistic, not prepared for what he encountered, unforgiving, and wounded. It was a rather tragic situation broght on by breaking that old rule-don't go hiking alone. Now I go hiking alone, but it is on a trail and I let significant others know where I will be and etc. This was an event with no safety net.

dessertrat
04-17-2008, 08:24
Yes, no safety net and quite a bit of bad luck, which could have been overcome by better planning. I don't see why people idolize him, but neither do I see why people want to run him down overmuch. He was young, unprepared, and unlucky. It's sad that he died, but not surprising. That's about all there is to it.

warraghiyagey
04-17-2008, 18:47
I think maybe idolize isn't quite the word for most people who feel some sort of connection with his story. Maybe intrigue. Certainly the vein of pain is something we've all felt to some degree and it manifests itself in as many different ways as the different people that feel it.

Panzer1
04-17-2008, 20:28
I think maybe idolize isn't quite the word for most people who feel some sort of connection with his story

Yea, I think "connection" is a good word to describe how I felt about Alexander Supertramp. I imagined myself doing what he did as I was watching the movie. But not "idolize" or "hero".

Panzer

SunnyWalker
04-17-2008, 21:38
Well said Dessertrat.

twentybelow
04-17-2008, 22:13
speculations about his mental state or focusing on his gross errors in judgment completely miss the real story here. chris was a free spirit who had a dream and actually had the guts to follow it. he did this against the headwind of his family's expectations and societal pressure to conform. i agree with lyle that chris did far more "living" in those couple of years between graduation and his demise, than 99% of people do in fifty. for that he earned my respect and even admiration. he certainly was someone i would like to have met along the way.

warraghiyagey
04-17-2008, 22:47
Yea, I think "connection" is a good word to describe how I felt about Alexander Supertramp. I imagined myself doing what he did as I was watching the movie. But not "idolize" or "hero".

Panzer

:sun:sun:sun:sun

mystic
04-18-2008, 09:53
Personally I think he was a hurt kid that was probably passively suicidal.
I heard this song from the movie and thought the lyrics were kinda cool:
------------------------

On bended knee is no way to be free
lifting up an empty cup I ask silently
that all my destinations will accept the one that's me
so I can breathe

Circles they grow and they swallow people whole
half their lives they say goodnight to wives they'll never know
got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul
so it goes...

Don't come closer or I'll have to go
Holding me like gravity are places that pull