04-01-2008, 05:05
Skipping the breathing step-

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/03/31/moh.cpr/index.html

StarLyte
04-01-2008, 06:01
EXCELLENT post -- thank you !!

Thoughtful Owl
04-01-2008, 09:36
If you have been trained in the "old fashion" method and don't remember this new method, no worries. The "old fashion" method works just as well. They are just trying to make it easier for folks to remember what to do and there are those who have concerns safety/health concerns about giving mouth to mouth. For adults who suddenly collapse, CPR is more effective if rescuers focus on chest compression over mouth-to-mouth ventilation. Personally, I carry on my key ring, in my backpack/day pack, in my glove box etc. mouth/face shields/barriers.

JAK
04-01-2008, 09:40
I just read that article on CNN myself and thought about posting it.
Very interesting and insightful. Thanks for posting.

Freeleo
04-01-2008, 09:59
aahhh i am having flashbacks

"are you o.k, are you o.k, HELP"

WalkingStick75
04-01-2008, 10:35
This decision is coming because of a couple different problems. 1st is most people do not want to lock lips with a stranger (me either). 2nd even if trained in giving breaths most do not get a good head tilt so the lungs expand and then have a problem getting back in the right spot to do compressions. So it was decided (as explained to me) that good compressions combined with the oxygen that is still in the bloodstream is better then nothing.
For the sake of your family members etc. where you will have that one on one contact I would suggest you keep current on providing breaths and reserve compressions only on those that you don't know.