PDA

View Full Version : No cook meals?

Happy
01-27-2004, 22:40
For breakfast just take a baggie filled with granola or fiber 1 type cereal, plus powdered milk, dried fruit, spices & sweener...add water and eat.

For dinner...at your afternoon break...use a SGT Rock type jar or similar to rehydrate some angel hair pasta or ramen noodles. When camp is set up, add
Italian dressing, cheese, etc. and enjoy with pita, tortillias or crusty bread.

For these type meals you can pick up the stuff at local grocery stores, convenience stores, etc. and eliminate the hassle of maildrops.

Happy
01-27-2004, 23:15
Take some Couscous and rehydrate beforehand and at dinner add spices and olive oil and a tin of smoked oysters, clams, mussels or a package of tuna. (omega 3's)

Take some Pita bread and cover with a small can of tomato paste along with some cheese, oreagno, crushed red pepper and Hormel turkey pepperoni or if veggie, take some onions and peppers first day out of town.

For the first day out of town pack a sandwich (subway,etc.) for dinner.

Tanglefoot
01-27-2004, 23:48
Tracy : I will be on the trail starting in GA on 3/15, I am oredering Mountain House freeze dried meals to carry. They will be shipped ahead of me in boxes of my choice a week of food at a time.All I will do is heat water vis personal stove and then add the hot water and I will have my meals. Nitro PAk has split a supply for me into a 6 month supply for 1 person.

Tanglefoot

I have hummus and falafal so far, but I need more ideas of no-cook meals that I can package ahead of time at home for mail drops. I know about snack bars, trail bars, protein bars, protein shakes, GORP, etc., I'm looking for meals more than snacks. Thanks!

twilight
01-28-2004, 08:35
Tanglefoot,
I hope I don't need to state the obvious, but have you tried a few of these before you hit the trail??? I agree that some of these are palatable(few), others(most) have tasted to me like eating warm, wet cardboard, to me!!!

Twilight :jump

jlb2012
01-28-2004, 08:42
add some olive oil and even warm wet cardboard can taste OK

Jeff
01-28-2004, 09:06
You are smart to work these details out. Most folks spend way too much time on gear lists and way too little time on their foodbag. What good is it to shave 8 ounces off your gear & then tote 3 pounds of food up the trail and never eat it because it tastes so bad.

Hardboiled eggs prepared in town can last several days on the trail. Precooked bacon (found in many stores now) tastes great alone or in noodles.

chris
01-28-2004, 09:11
With no cook meals, it is hard to eat in a traditional way. That is, it is hard to sit down to one large, main pot of something. Rather, you eat through out the day, usually with one or two of your feedings larger than others. Because of the distance I was walking last summer, I tended to eat a lot. I did cook a meal during the day, usually in the afternoon, but this was more for a break than for calories. If you are going to try to average 15 per walking day (not per day), then you won't have to eat as much. See a post I wrote a while back in the Cooking section called "Fueling up for 30 mile days" to get some idea of this.

Back to your originial querry. Wheat pastas have difficulty rehydrating without cooking, or at least I have problems getting it to work. So, try rice noodles. They have a lot fewer calories, but your can rehydrate them somewhat successfully. You can make a sauce for them out of peanut butter, soy, cayenne, sugar, and whatever else you want. Bread-like products with some sort of spread works well. Bagles, pitas, and tortillas all work well, with tortillas being my favorite. You've found some spreads that work well. Assuming that you are resupplying as you go, don't overlook the pre-made pesto that you can find in supermarkets. Usually kept cold, this will keep for several days and carries a massive calorie and fat hit. It is heavier, but look on it as a treat. Similarly, in the pasta section of some supermarkets you can find other sauces to use: Tapenade (black olive spread), roasted red pepper spread, etc. Of course, you'll need to be in a town with a larger super market. Don't laugh past Cheeze-Whiz. There is something about its saltiness that makes it tasty at times while on a long hike. You might be able to find baked, seasonned tofu in places, although you'll definitely need to be in a larger town for this. Nutella burritos are heavenly. If you're not a vegan, blocks of cheese and logs of sausage seem to be universally available. When you resupply in small towns or gas stations, just be flexible and try the "many snacks in a deal makes a meal" route.

okpik
01-28-2004, 10:25
Pemican, hot or cold (http://www.nativetech.org/food/Pemmican.html)

Bannock Sunflower Bread (http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/sunflower_bread.html)

I make both up ahead of time and use on the trail.
keep refridgerated until you leave and then it will last quite a long time in the pack.

There are more recipies on these sites that look good, I just have not given them all a try yet.

I also make my own jerky. Salmon, Trout, beef, Bird, going to try some veggie next. I'll let ya know how that comes out.

Okpik, (snowy Owl)