PDA

View Full Version : Advice please: when do mosquitoes start showing up?

McIntyre
04-01-2008, 10:03
Folks -- In general, when do the mosquitoes & other bothersome flying critters start showing up? End of April? May? Thanks in advance.

Darwin again
04-01-2008, 10:09
Where?
Generally, when it gets warm and wet enough for long enough.
The bloodsuckers come to the highlands last and tend to show up near water and food sources first (read: shelters) in the spring.

Thoughtful Owl
04-01-2008, 10:11
They already are showing up. The later part of last week we had days in the upper 60's low 70's and darn if the little buggers weren't out.

berninbush
04-01-2008, 10:14
I camped the first weekend in February here in Texas, and the skeeters were already out. It truly does depend on climate and weather.

budforester
04-01-2008, 10:33
I'm in central Louisiana. Ahh... Southern Springtime. We seem to have a lot of 'skeeters this year; they've been trying to eat me alive since mid- March. If I don't miss any coverage, DEET avoids the bite, but not the incessant buzzing. This weekend, we added deer flies and no- see- ums. But fireflies are flickering all around in the evenings, and wildflowers are everywhere... it's not all bad.

tlbj6142
04-01-2008, 10:57
I assume you mean along the AT. I doubt you'll see lots-o-bugs until mid-summer in the mid-atlantic states (assuming NOBO). Might hit patches here and there before.

I asked my brother about this. From his '04 thru he said they weren't a real problem until NY. And they dropped off as soon as the nights were cool again.

Weather plays a big roll in the bug factor, a hot rainy week in Sept, could cause them to show up thick as clouds. But if it is dryer and/or cooler, they aren't as bad.

Ender
04-01-2008, 11:04
For me, they start showing up whenever I forget to bring/run out of deet.

On the AT in '98, they were around come northern VA, but weren't bad until Jersey, and then waned a bit, and then were terrible in MA. That's just my experience for that year though... weather will play a large role in where/when they show up.

Chef2000
04-01-2008, 11:25
In MA, VT, NH The bugs get bad in MAY thru July. The Blackflies are worse than the Mosquitos. I use 100 percent deet, keeps them all away, what the heck I did not want any children anyway.

chili36
04-01-2008, 11:46
I was hiking Chestnut Top trail last week and a few mosquitos were buzzing. Once the ground warms up a little and the pupae can emerge from the leaf litter, they are in business.

Blissful
04-01-2008, 12:18
We saw them on the trail last year in March down south - when it got to 70. Esp around water sources. I didn't have my DEEt yet either.
Buit it's been pretty cool so far this year. I don't expect them much before May here, but you never know. What does show up is the nasty little gnats.

Gaiter
04-01-2008, 13:21
drink gin, works for me, drink some every few days and no mosquitos will bother you, its the only thing that works for me

NorthCountryWoods
04-01-2008, 13:45
drink gin, works for me, drink some every few days and no mosquitos will bother you, its the only thing that works for me

What does the mosquito know that we don't? :-?

They were out the other day up here and it was 34 degrees.

budforester
04-01-2008, 14:01
Maybe just expect there to be bugs: bring DEET and a sleep- enclosure, avoid stirring them up from the bushes, camp where there's breeze, watch for ticks.

budforester
04-01-2008, 14:08

That's worth a try; at worst I could watch the tipsy mosquitoes. Does it matter whether you drink it straight, or mix with tonic water or fruit juices?

Bob S
04-01-2008, 14:15
Mosquitoes are manageable with Permethrin & DEET, as are flies somewhat. But as the flies can be kept from biting with chemicals, the constant buzzing around is annoying and can in itself drive you into a tent.

Jim Adams
04-01-2008, 14:55
....at dusk:)

geek

Jim Adams
04-01-2008, 14:56

do you know why?.....because if this truely works, I'm surprised that there are any in my county!:D

geek

Thru Hiker Wife
04-01-2008, 20:16
Being in the south, we usually start getting mosqitoes somewhere in March/April. They have just begun here but then we've just started getting 70 degree days.

Helpful hint, B1. Take this vitamin daily from March-October or, if it's just a weekend in the woods, you can start it a few days ahead and then just keep taking it until you get through the weekend. The reason this works is that the B1 gives your body an odor that is unappealing to mosquitoes (not detectable by humans). Anyway, I haven't actually tried this and reviews online have gone both ways. However, my father did this last year (March til the temps were consistently below 70) and didn't get a mosquito bite all year and he spends a lot of time hunting, etc.

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2008, 20:36
In MA, VT, NH The bugs get bad in MAY thru July. The Blackflies are worse than the Mosquitos. I use 100 percent deet, keeps them all away, what the heck I did not want any children anyway.

Everyone's different - but deet is a nasty chemical that does get into the skin. Yes its important to have 100 % for jungles. But in Canada I got to test many different brands by borrowing. - Only Deep Woods Off worked 100 % bugs hate it.

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2008, 20:56
drink gin, works for me, drink some every few days and no mosquito's will bother you, its the only thing that works for me

OK Gaiter you have me, You have my undivided attention. Because you are now quoting historical fact of avoiding Malaria. The whole reason for the CDC in Georgia and the use of DDT was to eliminate Malaria in the U.S. So that being said.
Gin had nothing to do with it! Tonic contains a little quinine, in the past in India it was dreadful stuff as it was three times the amount in tonic. The Gin was for "watering" down the bitter stuff to make it drinkable and that was to sour the blood for mosquito's! Today it remains a popular although nasty drink because it contains juniper berries for flavor. I used to drink it and I can honestly say it really brings out the worst in people. Gin is not bitter enough by itself to make a difference other than -you won't feel or remember your bites.

I do not want to argue, please restate your evidence and clarify your point. This inquiring mind want's to know!

highway
04-01-2008, 21:36

Well, I know for sure that vodka doesn't stop them a bit!

rafe
04-01-2008, 21:42
The skeeters are ferocious in May in MA.

Undershaft
04-02-2008, 11:07
The skeeters are ferocious in May in MA.

And June and July and August.

mudhead
04-02-2008, 12:19
Only Deep Woods Off worked 100 % bugs hate it.

Good stuff.

Cutters unscented works well for me also.

chili36
04-02-2008, 12:53

I don't know about the gin....but if you are drinking it with Tonic Water, the quinine should take care of any malaria questions.

SawnieRobertson
04-02-2008, 13:06
SW Virginia here. Last night the peepers and croakers reported for duty.--
Kinnickinic

mudhead
04-02-2008, 13:14
I am jealous. I want my peepers. I want my peepers now!

WalkingStick75
04-02-2008, 18:22
I killed one the other day..... here in Michigan, go figure.

I like Gaiters idea, I'm switching from Capt Morgan to Gin :)

SunnyWalker
04-02-2008, 23:27
McIntyre: When do the skeeters show up????!?!??!? When you show up. Hello, earth to McIntyre, earth to McIntyre!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Weasel
04-02-2008, 23:39
Folks -- In general, when do the mosquitoes & other bothersome flying critters start showing up? End of April? May? Thanks in advance.

They tend to appear about January 1, but most seem to disappear after December 30.

TW

astrogirl
04-03-2008, 23:58
I am jealous. I want my peepers. I want my peepers now!

We had the peeper racket the other night, Monday I think. It got up to 75' that day.

Today (Wednesday), we got snow and it stuck on the hollows on our roof, but melted off the roads, grass etc.

Nasty, nasty weather today. 45 with sleet, snow and rain. Gotta love April!