PDA

View Full Version : Springer...observations and ?

Frau
04-01-2008, 11:26
We came back early from our 9 days of spring break. Roan and Mt. Mitchell were both covered in very cold, wind driven clouds. Did stop in Damasacus at both Sundog and MRO. Got myself a ULA Catalyst preparing for a Fontana to Clingman's HIke in June as soon as school is out. Got a pair of long-awaited Rail Ryder Weather Pants at Sundog--they are comfortable, hard to believe how much so.

Small world: we arrive at the summit of Springer, happy as heck about the good weather and how much time we have for another hike later. Up comes another hiker with a VT hat. Nessmuk engages him in conversation and we learn he is home-town folk. Just sold his interest in a local (Rockbridge Co.) dairy and headed out for his intended through hike.

We saw one woman so unbelievably piled up with a gigantic, heavy pack, we could hardly believe she had made it up the approach trail. She looked like the wobbling Weebel. We now understand why so many folks throw stuff out on the 7 mile upward pull. Hope she doesn't hurt herself.

In the throwing away category--I cannot recall where that thread is--Would found a TRAIL HITCH, tossed by the side of the trail.:eek: (Yes, in the parking lot by the side of the trail. I wonder if this was meant as a joke?)

QUESTION: I leafed throught the register (the one in the rock), and noticed an entry for 3/21/08 which, and I am paraphrasing, stated that Soandso with Go-lite, was there that day NOBO with a 125 # pack. He said the clothing and gear came to about 12-15 pounds and that the remainder is "40 days and 40 nights worth of food". Has anyone else read this, or talked to this superhuman?

I certainly learned a lot from going to Springer, Wesser Tower and NOC and talking to and observing the beginning NOBOers.

Comments, answers?

PS--Paddling Okefenokee was T-RIFFIC!!

Frau

Frau
04-01-2008, 11:28
WE found a trailer hitch, not 'would'.

Fr.

Newb
04-01-2008, 11:29
40 days of food? I'm gonna dehydrate an whole deer and carry it on my back. That might be the same thing.

max patch
04-01-2008, 11:32
Did you paddle the Okie River or the swamp?

I've paddled and enjoyed both.

The Go-Lite dude was trying to set a record for going 600 miles or so without resupplying - hence the reason for the weight. He made it to Neels Gap and ended his attempt for obvious reasons. There are a couple threads out there that I am sure someone will link to.

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 11:34
40 days of food? I'm gonna dehydrate an whole deer and carry it on my back. That might be the same thing.

he quit at Neel gap

RITBlake
04-01-2008, 11:40
what's a trail hitch?

thecaptain
04-01-2008, 12:01
Frau.....so you bought an ULA pack.....good you will love it
The Captain

Blissful
04-01-2008, 12:08
Interesting post, thanks. :)

Frau
04-01-2008, 12:46
For anyone venturing down that way on the BRP--two sections are closed. One is just north of Mt. Mitchell, the other between Craggy Gardens and Mt. Mitchel on the south side. We wasted MUCH time on detours and then still couldn't hike.

Fr

Frau
04-01-2008, 12:47
Captain, I sent you a PM.

Fr

Frau
04-01-2008, 12:49
2 mistakes in one line:

We found a trailer hitch on Springer beside the trail, at the edge of the parking lot.

Fr.

Frau
04-01-2008, 12:51
Okefenokee swamp. We even saw the swamp trail cutter at work, and it is FAR OUT! We did 12 miles and then headed for Dahlonega after lunch.

Fr.

Egads
04-01-2008, 17:57
he quit at Neel gap

He made it 30 miles further than I would. Of course I would never attempt to hike with 125 lbs on my back when I had a choice not to.:D

Egads

Uncle B
04-01-2008, 18:24
Small world: we arrive at the summit of Springer, happy as heck about the good weather and how much time we have for another hike later. Up comes another hiker with a VT hat. Nessmuk engages him in conversation and we learn he is home-town folk. Just sold his interest in a local (Rockbridge Co.) dairy and headed out for his intended through hike.

Comments, answers?

PS--Paddling Okefenokee was T-RIFFIC!!

Frau

Met the same gentleman at Blood Mtn Shelter on Fri & then again @ Low Gap on Sat. Enjoyed talking with him. Seems like good folk.
His name is Alec. I refer to him as "The Dairyman" in my journal.
http://209.200.85.146/trailjournals/photos/7176/tj7176_033108_163727_305185.jpg

tina.anderson
04-03-2008, 13:21
He made it 30 miles further than I would. Of course I would never attempt to hike with 125 lbs on my back when I had a choice not to.:D

Egads

I would never do that either. I don't even think I'm capable of it, but I don't want to find out.

Brushy Sage
04-03-2008, 19:03
A few years ago on the AT in Maryland, I met a young man who was carrying a 90-plus pound backpack. He said it was about the weight of the one he carried in the army. I wonder how far he went with that load.