PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Area

Gaiter
04-01-2008, 12:04
not sure if i'm in the right area, but its kinda trail related kinda not, feel free to move it

just moved yesterday to marietta, so wanted to ask all those from the atlanta area, what/where are the best locally owned outfitters,
i noticed there are a bunch of parks on the map, where are the better ones to go for day hikes?
any other atlanta related advise?

Almost There
04-01-2008, 13:10
Area Outfitters: Only real good local outfitter is "High Country" Outfitters off of Roswell Road just south of 285 on your way into Buckhead. Other than that it's REI or driving up to Mountain Crossings.

Parks: Kennesaw Mountain probably has the best local hiking close to you. The trails along the Chattahoochee are hit and miss, with some nice ones, and some not so nice. I would ask you where you live in Marietta as it's a pretty big town that sprawls quite a bit. If you want PM me with the major road intersections and I'll tell you what is right by you. I drive through downtown Marietta everyday to and from work, but I live closer to the northwestern edge of the township.

Sly
04-01-2008, 13:25
The best AYCE is in Marietta. Dynastic Buffet, Rt 5/Canton Rd, past 575.

Crab legs, coconut shrimp, peel 'n eat shrimp, fried shrimp, duck, frog legs, salmon or flounder, oysters, mussels, sirloin or prime ribs on weekends (one slice), mongollon beef, chicken wings (hot and fried), fried rice, lo mien, and more! It's awesome.

Wanna go? My treat. :) Let me know before the 15th.

Two Speed
04-01-2008, 18:49
Outfitters: Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap is the best. Got several REI's and Dick's Sporting Goods around, too.

Restaurants: Dynastic is good. Nik's for gyros and Greek food, and they have a good selection of beer on draft. La Parilla near the square is decent Mexican. Swapna for Indian buffet, Vatica for kooky vegetarian Indian.

Parks: Yep, Kennesaw is good. Red Mountain State Park isn't too far away, and has a couple of decent loops. The Pinhoti is close, so is the Bartram and the BMT isn't too far away.

There is a Czech butcher/bakery on Ewing Road that has to be experienced to be believed.

Skids and I do the Coosa Backcountry Trail fairly regularly so you'd be welcome. Might be too long for Sly. 'Kay, Sly you can come too, if you don't whine about the mileage. ;)

Gaiter, what brought you to Atlanter?

Gaiter
04-01-2008, 21:51
sly, will take you up on that, but i'm just playing day by day right now so i don't really know when i'm free.

i wasn't getting enough work living back home, w/ my degree (entertainment lighting tech) i should be in vegas, la or nyc, but those are too expensive to move to (especially when u r broke from a long section, lol woops), and i think i want to stay in the south, sooo here i am...

MamaCat
04-02-2008, 20:29
Hey Gaiter,

Welcom to ATL! Come have fun with the GATC, they have a bunch of hikes every weekend. And, of course, trail maintenance :-)

Sly
04-02-2008, 21:35
Skids and I do the Coosa Backcountry Trail fairly regularly so you'd be welcome. Might be too long for Sly. 'Kay, Sly you can come too, if you don't whine about the mileage. ;)

I know, I'm really turning into a wimp. :o

sly, will take you up on that, but i'm just playing day by day right now so i don't really know when i'm free.

OK, just let me know. I'll treat you to a little southern hospitality, northern style! :)

Skidsteer
04-02-2008, 21:47

Right.

We could choose 12 people at random to do the Coosa and you likely did more miles in the past year than all of us put together.

Some wimp!

Almost There
04-02-2008, 23:25
The best AYCE is in Marietta. Dynastic Buffet, Rt 5/Canton Rd, past 575.

Crab legs, coconut shrimp, peel 'n eat shrimp, fried shrimp, duck, frog legs, salmon or flounder, oysters, mussels, sirloin or prime ribs on weekends (one slice), mongollon beef, chicken wings (hot and fried), fried rice, lo mien, and more! It's awesome.

Wanna go? My treat. :) Let me know before the 15th.

You never invited me to go get Chinese!!!!:mad:

I get it! You're just being sexist!!!:D

Two Speed
04-03-2008, 07:55
Right.

We could choose 12 people at random to do the Coosa and you likely did more miles in the past year than all of us put together.

Some wimp!Yep, but a good natured wimp. ;)

I get it! You're just being sexist!!!:DNah, you just don't dance as well. Spill a little alcohol on your legs, spark it up and I bet Sly can't resist.

Almost There
04-03-2008, 09:59
Yep, but a good natured wimp. ;)
Nah, you just don't dance as well. Spill a little alcohol on your legs, spark it up and I bet Sly can't resist.

:eek:I just threw up in my mouth!!!

Sly
04-03-2008, 10:33
Right.

Some wimp!

Yeah, but I'm starting to snivel. I hate that. :mad: It means I need to hike several hundred miles to get back in shape. I like that. :D

Of course you're welcome to come. We should set a date. I'm good any days from now to the 11th.

Almost There
04-03-2008, 11:03
Maybe the 10th or 11th...I leave for Va to hike 60 miles on Friday, be back on Wednesday, gotta have some minor outpatient surgery on Thursday afternoon, but could be up for a good buffet!

Gaiter
04-03-2008, 11:24
okay, i don't have anything this weekend, and so far nothing next wkend (can change at any minute), can't meet next week during the week.
had a great interview yesterday, already hired for freelance, test run next week, wasn't looking for permanent work, but this company seems cool enough and they really like me, so who knows...

Sly
04-03-2008, 12:19
OK, how about Fri the 11th? Just PM if you can't make it.

Almost There
04-03-2008, 12:26
OK, how about Fri the 11th? Just PM if you can't make it.

You wanna do lunch? That way I can roll out of bed and get dressed to go eat!

Two Speed
04-03-2008, 13:02

I get it! You're just being sexist!!!:D

. . . Nah, you just don't dance as well. Spill a little alcohol on your legs, spark it up and I bet Sly can't resist.
. . . Of course you're welcome to come. We should set a date. I'm good any days from now to the 11th.See what I mean? Just mention the alcohol & spark routine and Sly can't resist.
You wanna do lunch? That way I can roll out of bed and get dressed to go eat!So many things I could add to that, all of them so wrong in so many ways. :rolleyes:

Sly
04-03-2008, 13:11
I don't have a schedule. I can go anytime y'all are free, but lunch doesn't have crabs legs!

Two Speed
04-03-2008, 13:15
Make it dinner, 7:00 ish and I can join in. That way Sly can pay me back for some of the wisecracks I've been making. I hate having outstanding debts out there too long.

Sly
04-03-2008, 14:01
OK 7PM on the 11th. I have AT, TS, Gaiter and myself. All in, anyone else?

Gaiter
04-03-2008, 23:30
umm, i can do fri, if you don't mind me being straight from work (working till 5 near the airport), highly possible for me to be smelly and dirty, i'd prefer a sat, but i can still make fri, if everyone can't make sat? should we post something on a non subscription forum to see if anyone else in the area wants to meet up

Skidsteer
04-03-2008, 23:39
umm, i can do fri, if you don't mind me being straight from work (working till 5 near the airport), highly possible for me to be smelly and dirty, i'd prefer a sat, but i can still make fri, if everyone can't make sat? should we post something on a non subscription forum to see if anyone else in the area wants to meet up

No worries. It morphed into something close enough to a get together so I moved it.

Tennessee Viking
04-04-2008, 01:18
not sure if i'm in the right area, but its kinda trail related kinda not, feel free to move it

just moved yesterday to marietta, so wanted to ask all those from the atlanta area, what/where are the best locally owned outfitters,
i noticed there are a bunch of parks on the map, where are the better ones to go for day hikes?
any other atlanta related advise?
I only heard of High Country around Lanta. It is covered with several REIs and other big box outfitters.

There is also North Georgia in Elijay.

Ghosthiker
04-04-2008, 06:34
1st, welcome to the neighborhood.

I was also going to mention North Georgia Mountain Outfitters in Ellijay.

Plus, I would enjoy meeting up with a group of you and getting the chance to meet some of the folks here, so put me down on the list.

Sly
04-04-2008, 06:36
Plus, I would enjoy meeting up with a group of you and getting the chance to meet some of the folks here, so put me down on the list.

Cool, see you next Friday night!

orangebug
04-04-2008, 06:36
Maybe the 10th or 11th...I leave for Va to hike 60 miles on Friday, be back on Wednesday, gotta have some minor outpatient surgery on Thursday afternoon, but could be up for a good buffet!I wish I were going too! Have fun on the walk.

Two Speed
04-04-2008, 07:28
umm, i can do fri, if you don't mind me being straight from work (working till 5 near the airport), highly possible for me to be smelly and dirty, i'd prefer a sat, but i can still make fri, if everyone can't make sat? should we post something on a non subscription forum to see if anyone else in the area wants to meet upI wouldn't worry about being smelly. Lotsa hikers at the table. :cool:

Can't do this or the next Saturday, but the world doesn't revolve around me so if ya'll decide to do something other than Friday the 11th I'll catch ya'll the next time.

Gaiter
04-04-2008, 09:13
friday it is then....no prob

jesse
04-04-2008, 10:12
Gaiter,
Welcome to Marietta. Kennesaw Mountain is where I hike every day. My favorite wilderness trails are in the Cohutta, about a 2 hour drive. There is a Dicks located on Barrett Pkwy. It has limited hiking stuff, but its where I buy fuel cannisters.

bloodmountainman
04-04-2008, 10:22
Welcome!!
Mountain Crossing at Neels Gap is a good outfitter. The Trail is right outside the door, and Winton is a big help in making purchasing decisions. You can try actually "test Drive" some gear right on the trail.
My wife and I would like to hook up sometime and do some hiking.

Uncle B
04-04-2008, 10:27
I have no tie to this place, but I highly recommend it. I have found tons of great deals here. They get a lot of "samples" which they sell for a reduced price. One of my favorite places for outdoor clothing/gear, period.

From their site:
"The Gear Revival is a locally owned, outdoor specialty shop with a twist. Put a friendly outdoor specialty shop in a blender with a high-end consignment store, hit the “mince” button and you get a delicious TGR smoothie. In our store, we buy, sell, and trade new and gently used gear for outdoor adventures."

http://www.thegearrevival.com/index.html

Right now they are running 50% off all thier Patagonia items.
I can get there but I don't know the address (it's near Georgia Tech). Their # is 404-892-4326.

Welcome to the area!

Mrs Baggins
04-04-2008, 11:17
I'll just live vicariously through you all. I live over here in Aiken SC - no hiking, no hikers, no outfitters, no trails..........I need to move to Atlanta. :) It's very lonely over here.........:(

bloodmountainman
04-04-2008, 11:21
I'll just live vicariously through you all. I live over here in Aiken SC - no hiking, no hikers, no outfitters, no trails..........I need to move to Atlanta. :) It's very lonely over here.........:(
We would love to have you here!!!! May I suggest Dahlongea instead? Atlanta Hasn't been the same since they burnt it down!!!:eek:

Sly
04-04-2008, 11:22
I wouldn't worry about being smelly. Lotsa hikers at the table. :cool:

Can't do this or the next Saturday, but the world doesn't revolve around me so if ya'll decide to do something other than Friday the 11th I'll catch ya'll the next time.

Why not on the 11th? I though that fit your schedule?

deeddawg
04-04-2008, 11:52
Welcome to Marietta, I don't have much to add except that I got a postcard a day or so ago saying that REI was opening a store on Barrett Pkwy in Kennesaw on May 2nd. Looks to be near the Dicks.

I've been disappointed with Dicks, much more oriented to car-camping vs. backpacking. The Galyans that used to be there was much better.

Ghosthiker
04-04-2008, 12:58
The new REI will be across Barrett next to the Target Store

Two Speed
04-04-2008, 13:28
Why not on the 11th? I though that fit your schedule?The 11th is fine. We can parse our way through my sentence structure over dinner. :cool:

Sly
04-04-2008, 13:34
The 11th is fine. We can parse our way through my sentence structure over dinner. :cool:

Cool. Nothing like AYCE crab legs and shrimp to get ready for a big hike!

max patch
04-04-2008, 15:12
Good luck!!!

http://www.cbs46.com/restaurantreport/14269033/detail.html

Dynastic Buffet - 2800 Canton Road - Cobb County

Surprise Inspection: 69 points (9/27/07)

Inspectors found several dead cockroaches throughout the kitchen. Plus, food was at an unsafe temperature and there was mold on the ice cream machine.

(They got a 97 on the retest).

Two Speed
04-04-2008, 20:37
Cool. Nothing like AYCE crab legs and shrimp to get ready for a big hike!Do I detect a note of sarcasm? :-?

MoBill122
04-04-2008, 21:04
Well, I'd love to meet you folks, but I got that dang bug everyone seems to be getting around here.
I had to pull off the Alabama Pinhoti, because I was to sick to go on.

Need to meet some locals to hike around with when I get better.

Sly
04-04-2008, 22:16
I felt lousy for a day or two but much better now. You have a week to recoup. If at all better come on down!

Well, I'd love to meet you folks, but I got that dang bug everyone seems to be getting around here.
I had to pull off the Alabama Pinhoti, because I was to sick to go on.

Need to meet some locals to hike around with when I get better.

springerfever
04-04-2008, 22:17
I have no tie to this place, but I highly recommend it. I have found tons of great deals here. They get a lot of "samples" which they sell for a reduced price. One of my favorite places for outdoor clothing/gear, period.

From their site:
"The Gear Revival is a locally owned, outdoor specialty shop with a twist. Put a friendly outdoor specialty shop in a blender with a high-end consignment store, hit the “mince” button and you get a delicious TGR smoothie. In our store, we buy, sell, and trade new and gently used gear for outdoor adventures."

http://www.thegearrevival.com/index.html

Right now they are running 50% off all thier Patagonia items.
I can get there but I don't know the address (it's near Georgia Tech). Their # is 404-892-4326.

Welcome to the area!

I dropped in this place 'bout a month ago and its run by some good folks and prices are very reasonable. I scored a really nice Lowe Alpine jacket w/fleece liner for twenty bucks, an older Osprey daypack (made in Delores, Colorado) for thirty and some still in date Nikwax down cleaner for five......kinda neat. Can't really go looking for anything in particular, but you are bound to find some good deals....

BTW..welcome to Atlanta.

BY FAR the best outfitter near Atlanta is MOUNTAIN CROSSINGS @ Neels Gap. Winton and his staff have ALL the right, trail-tested lightweight gear and reasonably priced. Many times you can catch sales on older stock or discontinued items. They carry all the right brands including Western Mountaineering, some Feathered Friends, Montbell, Granite Gear, etc and some of the lesser-known cottage manufacturers like Etowah Outfitters.Definately one-stop shopping with very knowledgeable personnel and, damn,the AT passes right thru it !!!

Great little day trip to do some hiking and drop a few bucks on new gear !!

orangebug
04-04-2008, 22:28

Is this just up the street across Howell Mill from the Humane Center?

What a weird location, but there are number of very unique shops, galleries and the like around there now.

Uncle B
04-05-2008, 01:23
Is this just up the street across Howell Mill from the Humane Center?

What a weird location, but there are number of very unique shops, galleries and the like around there now.

I have no idea if it's near any of that or not, but I did find the address to The Gear Revival: 990 Brady Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30318

I agree with Springer, the BEST outfitter is Mountian Crossings @ Neels Gap (Best IMO on selection of top quality, not necessarily price), but TGR has some GREAT deals and is worth checking out.

Lilred
04-05-2008, 08:59
Congrats on the move Gaiter, hope it works out well for you. I think this puts you closer to me too.

orangebug
04-05-2008, 16:04
Found it today. It is very difficult to find from the directions on the website.

It is in the old warehouse district - gradually changing to lofts - between Howell Mill and Marietta. The best way to find it is to locate the Humane Shelter at 10th and Howell Mill, turn onto 10th heading west the one block remaining, and turn right. It is next to a used construction material (doors, windows and such)store.

As mentioned above, it is a tiny shop compared to REI or even the place on Roswell (Blue Ridge Outfitters?). It is something of a Big Lots with very nice brands and gear choices. I went there only to check it out and didn't score anything, but saw headlamps, duffel bags, jackets and other stuff for very nice prices.

Gaiter
04-07-2008, 20:11
wahoooo, non-at related stuff, only been here a week today, already working all this week, on the books to freelance for 2 companies and have 3 interviews next week, i'm really starting to like atlanta!!!

except for the no alcohol on sunday, that kinda caught me off guard, kinda pissed me off really, lol

Skidsteer
04-07-2008, 20:14
wahoooo, non-at related stuff, only been here a week today, already working all this week, on the books to freelance for 2 companies and have 3 interviews next week, i'm really starting to like atlanta!!!

except for the no alcohol on sunday, that kinda caught me off guard, kinda pissed me off really, lol

You'll learn to plan ahead. It is kind of a pain.

peanuts
04-07-2008, 20:15
so, is this dinner going to happen? and where??

Gaiter
04-07-2008, 22:50
friday @ 7pm @ the dynasty buffet?
everyone okay w/ that?

Sly
04-07-2008, 22:59
friday @ 7pm @ the dynasty buffet?
everyone okay w/ that?

Yeah, I'm in but it's Dynastic Buffet (http://www.dynastic-buffet.com/). :)

Ghosthiker
04-08-2008, 05:37
See ya all there. :D

MoBill122
04-08-2008, 19:12
Dynastic Buffet
2800 canton Rd
Marietta GA 30066

Friday at 7:00PM

Meeting at door or someone leaving a group name at door ??

Was just down that way today at the Green Tomato eating lunch, maybe the spousal unit, will let us eat out twice this week.
Oh...she's not a hiker ... doesn't want to hear about it either.... so no talking about hiking ! <G> Come to think...she doesn't like Oriental food either... maybe she'll bail out ! !

Two Speed
04-08-2008, 19:54
Never know reservations to be necessary at Dynastic, just figured we'd take over a corner somewhere.

Sly, got a better idea?

MoBill122
04-08-2008, 20:51
I just meant... how a late comer might find the group ?

I think the hostess will give me a wierd look if I ask where Two Speed or Sly or Gaiter, is sitting at ?? LOL

Sly
04-08-2008, 21:00
Never know reservations to be necessary at Dynastic, just figured we'd take over a corner somewhere.

Sly, got a better idea?

I've been there a bunch of times on weekends and we shouldn't need a rez. I suggest asking for a table in the room furthest from the parking lot. Larger tables are in the middles between the booths. There's another room off to the right of that they use for large groups, but we should be fine.

Ask for the hiker table!

Skidsteer
04-08-2008, 21:59
I just meant... how a late comer might find the group ?

I think the hostess will give me a wierd look if I ask where Two Speed or Sly or Gaiter, is sitting at ?? LOL

Just ask for the table that is eating most of the food.

Sly
04-08-2008, 22:05
Just ask for the table that is eating most of the food.

That would be my brother in laws. He's good for 3 dozen oysters as an appetizer.

Two Speed
04-08-2008, 22:14
Cool. Didn't know your brother-in-law was coming.

Two Speed
04-08-2008, 22:21
Hey MoBill, seen some of your photos and I'll try to keep an eye out for you.

C'mon and join the fun.

MoBill122
04-09-2008, 10:23
Spousal Unit just asked why I sent her an email with the info ? LOL

She said " Sure lets go... " So we're coming for sure now !

I think she's trying to figure out just how weird hiker's are.... she thinks camping is RVing... no sleeping on the ground with bugs,etc !

Don't encourage her... I like being away... I better hush !

jesse
04-09-2008, 12:04
I have to be out of town. I hope I can make the next gathering. Have fun.

peanuts
04-10-2008, 19:58
well folks,are we still on for tomorrow night @7pm in marietta

Sly
04-10-2008, 20:00
well folks,are we still on for tomorrow night @7pm in marietta

Yeah, you coming?

peanuts
04-10-2008, 20:42
yes, i am commandeering my dad's truck(he doesn't know:D)yes!!!

Ghosthiker
04-11-2008, 05:57
See all of you there.

Gaiter
04-11-2008, 07:03
see ya there

Sly
04-11-2008, 18:21
OK, I'm leaving in a few minutes. I'll be taking my brother-in-law with me. We should be outside just before 7PM. For those that may not know me, I'll have my Whiteblaze T.

See y'all there!

Also, I'll need to leave around 8. I need to go to REI to pick up the stuff I go with my dividend.

Ghosthiker
04-11-2008, 21:48
Well, it was great to put a few faces with some names. Enjoyed meeting everyone. Seems to me that one of us may have a new trail name, but I'll let someone else tell it since he was the one who named her. :D

Skidsteer
04-11-2008, 21:51
Well, it was great to put a few faces with some names. Enjoyed meeting everyone. Seems to me that one of us may have a new trail name, but I'll let someone else tell it since he was the one who named her. :D

Oh that's not fair.

Not fair at all.

At least tell us who gave her the name.

Two Speed
04-11-2008, 21:52
Oh, I think it'd be nuts to spill that little tale before we have fun with it on the trail. Let's just say that we now know the rest of the story about those handicapped ramps at some of the privies.

Good meeting everyone.

Sly, Happy Trails!

Skidsteer
04-11-2008, 21:54
Oh, I think it'd be nuts to spill that little tale before we have fun with on the trail.

Good meeting everyone.

Sly, Happy Trails!

Right!

Forgot I'll get to hear it firsthand.

Sly
04-11-2008, 22:25
Huh? I missed the story! Judging by all the clues it must be Peanuts though! Great meeting Ghosthiker, MoBill, Mrs MoBill and seeing Two Speed, Peanuts and Gaiter again.

Bulldawg
04-11-2008, 22:50
Too bad you are having to bail on the CBT Sly!!

Gaiter
04-22-2008, 16:47
its offical i'm a georgia state resident, got my georgia drivers license today.
so i don't think anyone from the little atlanta area gathering was planning on going to trail days, anyone else from the atlanta area going, i'm willing to drive (plenty of room in my station wagon), and my days are flexible as far as when to go/comeback, just need someone to split gas w/.

peanuts
04-22-2008, 20:29
mmmmm gaiter, i am still trying to work the logistic w/dad/neighbors. if all work out i may be able to go! so splitting gas is good. whats the mpg of your wagon?

Ghosthiker
04-22-2008, 21:28
Gaiter, if Peanuts is going with you, you'll need a handicap tag. :D :banana :D

Bulldawg
04-22-2008, 21:32
Handicap Hiker??

peanuts
04-22-2008, 21:33

just remember........revenge comes when least expected..........:D:D

Gaiter
04-23-2008, 01:04
interstate driving it averages 25-27mpg (really good when you also consider its a '95 w/ a turbo engine)
yeah don't forget the handicap tag, lol

Captain
04-23-2008, 03:45
i would say id come but i just really rather dispise you all

Captain
04-23-2008, 03:46
that and im from Cincinnati so your a bit out of the way

Two Speed
04-23-2008, 07:29

just remember........revenge comes when least expected..........:D:DYep, Ghosthiker, she's gonna run right into ya with her walker, and won't even say she's sorry about it, either.

Handicap Hiker??Come to the next Atlanta WB dinner and I'm sure the subject will come up. ;)

Gator Goat
04-23-2008, 12:52
Hey, I just moved to the Atlanta area and don't have a car and have to get to Trail Days this year! Would totally love a ride if one's available. I won't be coming back since I'll be hiking in VA for a bit though...

Ghosthiker
04-23-2008, 18:01
Come to the next Atlanta WB dinner and I'm sure the subject will come up. ;)

Speaking of that, when do we get together again? That was fun.

just remember........revenge comes when least expected..........:D:D

I'll just need to remember not to sit next to peanuts. :D

Two Speed
04-23-2008, 18:55
Speaking of that, when do we get together again? That was fun.I dunno. How about the weekend after Trail Days?
I'll just need to remember not to sit next to peanuts. :DOr park next to her.

Unless you've got a handicapped sticker. :p

Two Speed
04-25-2008, 11:54
Is this thing on?

orangebug
04-25-2008, 11:56
You have to blow on the microphone to test it.

Or tap it.

Ghosthiker
04-25-2008, 17:33
That works for me, TwoSpeed

Thru Hiker Wife
04-25-2008, 17:52
Depending on how things work out, perhaps this GA girl will come too.

Two Speed
04-25-2008, 19:20
Hmmmm, appears I have screwed up. That's Memorial Day weekend and I was trying to convince some folks to hike the Standing Indian loop that weekend. How about May 9th or 10th?

Next location. I'm gonna suggest Nik's (http://www.niksplace.com/) in Marietta.

I hate it when the mike's actually on. :mad:

Thru Hiker Wife
04-25-2008, 19:23
Looks like you'll have to be specific. According to the link, there is two in Marietta and I AM NOT familiar with the area at all. Anywho...

Two Speed
04-25-2008, 19:33
Whitlock location. Anyone who knows their way around Marietta knows the Sessions Street location hasn't been open in years. ;)

Thru Hiker Wife
04-25-2008, 19:38
Figures...told you I didn't know the area. :)

Bilko
04-25-2008, 19:58
I didn't know that there was a WB group in Atlanta. Could someone contact me and give me some details? I have lived in the ATL for along time, before there was I-285.

High Country is the oldest Outfitters in Atlanta, they started over by Powers Ferry about 35 years ago. They are located inside the Perimeter on Roswell Road. There are 3 REI stores in Atlanta one off I-85, one by Perimeter Mall and the new one in Mayretta. Dick's Sporting Goods does have some camping gear, but not really an Outfitters. We need to spend our money locally. There is also a new Outfitters up in Dawsonville by the Outlet Mall, they have an indoor pool/running water for kayak training/practice. Not sure of the name (Outdoor World?) of that store, it is on the right hand side of 400, just before the Outlet Mall.

There are actually several good trails inside and around I-285. Kennesaw has great trails, but there are many, many trails in the area. Many good trails along the Chattahoochee River Park. Get the Book, 'Hiking North Georgia Trails' by Holman. Very good book.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-25-2008, 20:03
Dawsonville is up in my neck of the woods. Yes, the outfitter that you are referencing is Outdoor World. Cool LITTLE place. Primarily geared towards hiking, kayaking, etc. Employees tend to be pretty good as far as knowledge, etc. Just thought I'd confirm.

Ghosthiker
04-25-2008, 20:36
I didn't know that there was a WB group in Atlanta. Could someone contact me and give me some details?

Bilko, there isn't any kind of official group. A bunch of us just got together a couple of weeks ago for supper. We had fun and someone may have gotten a new trail name (:D Peanuts). So consider yourself contacted. :) Come meet with us next time.

TwoSpeed, either the 9th or 10th would be fine with me and Nik's sounds good.

Two Speed
04-26-2008, 07:48
Do kinda need to decide if it's Friday or Saturday, don't we?

Gaiter, you making it, and if so which is better for you?

THW, does it make a difference whether it's Friday or Saturday?

BTW, we'll make it 7:00, like last time.

Thru Hiker Wife
04-26-2008, 10:12
Being that Marietta is a bit of a "hike" for me and I have to consider my teenager getting home from school on Friday, Saturday really works best for me. Plus, that's also the night that she usually has plans so I won't have to tote her along. :)

Gaiter
04-26-2008, 13:10
i don't which is better yet, weekends are kinda sketchy for me since i typically work on them, i'm not booked very far in advance right now. so don't decide the date around me, i'll go if i'm not working.

Two Speed
04-26-2008, 13:42
Saturday, May 10 it is, then. Gonna move the time up to 6:00. Nik's can get a rowdy an hour or so after dark.

Captain
04-26-2008, 15:21
reh reh reh everyones ignoring me reh reh reh

MoBill122
04-27-2008, 19:51
I assume this is plans for another dinner meet ????

I been off a bit. Finished my Alabama Pinhoti Trail hike. Then I had to go to Mobile for a week, to check on home down there.

Last one to show up pays the tab again...right ?

peanuts
04-27-2008, 21:12
sounds good to me.....sat may 10th........

Two Speed
04-28-2008, 11:40
I assume this is plans for another dinner meet ???? Yup.
I been off a bit. Finished my Alabama Pinhoti Trail hike.Cool. We can compare notes if you're coming to dinner
Last one to show up pays the tab again...right ?Sounds like a plan to me.

(Two Speed makes a note to show up as soon as Nik's opens, to make sure he ain't last and to crank up the bar tab.)

sounds good to me.....sat may 10th........We'll make sure the handicapped spot is open for ya.

Ghosthiker
04-29-2008, 12:38
We'll make sure the handicapped spot is open for ya.

Thanks for taking some of the heat off of me. :D

Mark57
04-29-2008, 14:10
I didn't know that there was a WB group in Atlanta. Could someone contact me and give me some details? I have lived in the ATL for along time, before there was I-285.

High Country is the oldest Outfitters in Atlanta, they started over by Powers Ferry about 35 years ago. They are located inside the Perimeter on Roswell Road. There are 3 REI stores in Atlanta one off I-85, one by Perimeter Mall and the new one in Mayretta. Dick's Sporting Goods does have some camping gear, but not really an Outfitters. We need to spend our money locally. There is also a new Outfitters up in Dawsonville by the Outlet Mall, they have an indoor pool/running water for kayak training/practice. Not sure of the name (Outdoor World?) of that store, it is on the right hand side of 400, just before the Outlet Mall.

There are actually several good trails inside and around I-285. Kennesaw has great trails, but there are many, many trails in the area. Many good trails along the Chattahoochee River Park. Get the Book, 'Hiking North Georgia Trails' by Holman. Very good book.

Also, the REI at the Mall of Georgia in Buford. A thru-hiker from 2005, Crazy Katie, works there.

Mark57
04-29-2008, 14:27
We would love to have you here!!!! May I suggest Dahlongea instead? Atlanta Hasn't been the same since they burnt it down!!!:eek:

Truer words have never been spoken. I have lived in "metro" Atlanta all my life. The traffic and crime are off the scale.
Definitely move to Dalonega. I actually mulled over moving there when I retire in 3 years.

I used to say I hated going inside I285 but now that circle has grown.

Mark57
04-29-2008, 15:16
Sorry to be so negative about Atlanta. It's just a very negative city for me in the last few years.....

bloodmountainman
04-29-2008, 15:30
Sorry to be so negative about Atlanta. It's just a very negative city for me in the last few years.....
It has been that way for me forever! I grew up in Smyrna, just a stone's throw from the River! I have lived here all my life, and still find it uncomfortable going into that town! I am a lot more comfortable in the gaps and ridges of the hills.:sun

Ghosthiker
05-02-2008, 13:43
Just so everyone will recognize her, here's Peanuts new tag.

http://www.rgregory.net/images/pnuts.jpg

Now please excuse me as I run for cover. :D

peanuts
05-02-2008, 13:45
YESS RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Hooch
05-02-2008, 13:51
Just so everyone will recognize her, here's Peanuts new tag.

http://www.rgregory.net/images/pnuts.jpg

Now please excuse me as I run for cover. :D

"Now that right there's funny. I don't care who you are." - Larry the Cable Guy :D

peanuts
05-02-2008, 13:53
hooch, that one its funny!

Ghosthiker
05-02-2008, 14:28
Dang peanuts. My post was at 13:43 and yours was only 2 minutes later. I thought that I'd have more time for a head start than that.

Two Speed
05-02-2008, 14:30
Wonder how much we'd have to bribe, er, increase our subscription to get that as peanut's avatar? :-?

Hooch
05-02-2008, 14:37
Wonder how much we'd have to bribe, er, increase our subscription to get that as peanut's avatar? :-?Hell, I'll make it mine.

peanuts
05-02-2008, 20:33
hand off boys......its my avatar:D:D

Two Speed
05-02-2008, 23:13
We're waiiiiting.

Two Speed
05-02-2008, 23:39
BTW, you gonna make it to dinner, peanuts? If so I'll make sure the handicap spot is open for ya.

peanuts
05-02-2008, 23:53
sure, since i can't go hiking, might as well go eating......so save me the spot!:D

Two Speed
05-02-2008, 23:57
Gotcha covered, babe. I'll spot my bike there if you promise not to knock it over.

Umm, still waiting on that avatar.

Ghosthiker
05-03-2008, 05:18
Peanuts, pm me your e-mail and I'll send it to you.

Thru Hiker Wife
05-03-2008, 22:04
Not sure I'm gonna be able to make it next weekend, folks. Turns out I had to pick up the hubby and bring him home this weekend due to illness. Hope is that he;ll be feeling better and that I'll be taking him back next weekend.

Two Speed
05-04-2008, 08:27
THW, if your husband isn't feeling well enough to hike ya'll could come to dinner.

Unless you two would be uncomfortable around hikers or something.

Survivor Dave
05-04-2008, 09:48
Glad to find the thread. I'll try to make it there on Sat. It's pretty close to the house. I'll try to get a hold of a few other WBers. The restaurant looks pretty cool and a good menu as well. Greek food rocks!

SD

Two Speed
05-04-2008, 11:08
Foods pretty good, they get some good bands and they've got Stella Artois on tap! :)

Thru Hiker Wife
05-04-2008, 19:51
THW, if your husband isn't feeling well enough to hike ya'll could come to dinner.

Unless you two would be uncomfortable around hikers or something.

If we're in town, we'll be there. It's just that I suspect we will be in Erwin getting him back to the trail. If I can't make it this time, hopefully next time!

Survivor Dave
05-07-2008, 15:59
Good talking to you TS. Put me down, I'll be there!

SD

Two Speed
05-07-2008, 18:46
Alrighty then, I need a head count. Got SD and Ghosthiker as confirmed. Who else?

MamaCat
05-07-2008, 19:20
Hubby & Me will come! Sounds like fun!

Two Speed
05-07-2008, 19:27
Excellent. Peanuts, you're in, right?

peanuts
05-07-2008, 20:45
yes i am in....

Ghosthiker
05-07-2008, 21:10
yep, will be there.

MoBill122
05-07-2008, 21:24
We're not entirely sure about Saturday night yet, but we are planning on it.

Have to go to Birmingham to do some computer florensics on my Brother/Uncle's computer. Brother/Uncle because we were raised together, and he was only 4 years older than me. No one has been able to locate his Will or any other items, paperwork, etc needed to settle his estate. Hoping to find some clues on his desktop, but found nothing on his laptop the other day.

Anyway, count us in, if something happens, I'll have my laptop so I can cancel out.

Since I'm new in Georgia.... does having a " Handicap " tag really get you special treatment here ? <S>

Gaiter
05-07-2008, 21:38
i'm in if i'm not working, but sat. is typically busy, i'll know the day before.

Gaiter
05-08-2008, 00:16
room for one more in my car to trail days (room for 3 going back) any takers???

Two Speed
05-08-2008, 05:36
i'm in if i'm not working, but sat. is typically busy, i'll know the day before.
We're not entirely sure about Saturday night yet, but we are planning on it.'Kay, I'll score that as three "maybe's".
Have to go to Birmingham to do some computer florensics on my Brother/Uncle's computer. Brother/Uncle because we were raised together, and he was only 4 years older than me. No one has been able to locate his Will or any other items, paperwork, etc needed to settle his estate. Hoping to find some clues on his desktop, but found nothing on his laptop the other day.Please accept my condolences.
Since I'm new in Georgia.... does having a " Handicap " tag really get you special treatment here ?Well, under the right circ's it can get you a new trail name. :cool:

Grandma
05-08-2008, 20:11
Got room for one more at Nick's Saturday night? I have a thing for Stella.

Two Speed
05-08-2008, 21:02
Got room for one more at Nick's Saturday night? I have a thing for Stella.Sure.

So far I've got:
Mama Cat & husband, confirmed
Ghosthiker, confirmed
Survivor Dave, confirmed
Handicap Hiker, confirmed
MoBill & wife, maybe
Gaiter, maybe
Grandma, confirmed
Two Speed, really oughta be there

Have I missed anyone? Going once, going twice . . .

Grandma
05-08-2008, 21:07
Is Peanuts still coming?

Thru Hiker Wife
05-08-2008, 21:08
Would love to come but I don't think I can afford it this time. Maybe next time.

Two Speed
05-08-2008, 21:10
Is Peanuts still coming?Handicap Hiker said she'd be there.
Would love to come but I don't think I can afford it this time. Maybe next time.Bummer, but we'll get together again soon enough. How's Runsalone doing?

Thru Hiker Wife
05-08-2008, 21:26
Slowly recovering. Was hoping to make it back to the trail this weekend but this cold keeps hanging on. Maybe next weekend.

Two Speed
05-08-2008, 21:30
He's probably doing the right thing. If he could've shaken it off on the trail he'd have done it by now.

Thru Hiker Wife
05-08-2008, 21:32
Yeah, that's our thoughts, too.

So wish i could come this weekend. Would sure be nice to meet some of your folks in person! Next time...next time.

Survivor Dave
05-08-2008, 21:44
Who's this Stella that will be there? Is she friendly? Is she a Thru-Hiker?

Someone said her beauty will put me in a trance. Is this true?

Grandma
05-08-2008, 22:11
Handicap Hiker said she'd be there.Bummer, but we'll get together again soon enough. How's Runsalone doing?

Ah, that one zipped right over my head. I should have figured that one out. Does Nick's have ramps installed for her convenience?

Who's this Stella that will be there? Is she friendly? Is she a Thru-Hiker?

Someone said her beauty will put me in a trance. Is this true?

Oh, Stella is a very nice lady. If you treat her right, she'll put a spell on you. After several dances with her, one could use those handicap ramps to roll out to the car.

peanuts
05-08-2008, 22:22
what time are we meeting???

Grandma
05-08-2008, 22:37
six o'clock, correct?

Survivor Dave
05-08-2008, 23:21
I believe it's at 6 PM. Here's the link to the restaurant.http://www.niksplace.com/

six o'clock, correct?

Ghosthiker
05-09-2008, 05:30
Looks like we are going to have a good group. Oh, and it was the Whitlock location, right?

Dances with Mice
05-09-2008, 06:20
I might make it and bring along the wife so she can meet a few witnesses that can verify that I've hiked some of the times that I said I was going hiking. So how much will I have to pay to get a few witnesses?

I really don't like eating with hikers but I will tolerate a lot to get good Greek food.

Two Speed
05-09-2008, 08:28
Ah, that one zipped right over my head. I should have figured that one out. Does Nick's have ramps installed for her convenience?Sure do. Wouldn't have invited her if the location wasn't ADA compliant.
six o'clock, correct?Six o'clock would be correct.
Looks like we are going to have a good group. Oh, and it was the Whitlock location, right?Whitlock is correct.
I might make it and bring along the wife so she can meet a few witnesses that can verify that I've hiked some of the times that I said I was going hiking. So how much will I have to pay to get a few witnesses?Looks like DWM's picking up the beer tab, boys & girls! Whoo hooooo! My favorite brand of beer! Free beer, that is.

'Kay, the updated list is:
Ghosthiker, confirmed
Survivor Dave, confirmed
MoBill & wife, maybe
Gaiter, maybe
Grandma, confirmed
DWM, his wife and, the guest of honor, DWM's wallet, confirmed.

I really don't like eating with hikers but I will tolerate a lot to get good Greek food.We don't like to eat with hikers either, but we'll put up with a good deal if free beer is involved.

Dances with Mice
05-09-2008, 09:09
Is this one of those restaurants that make you wear shoes and a shirt?

And what's the best type of gun to bring?

Two Speed
05-09-2008, 09:15
Is this one of those restaurants that make you wear shoes and a shirt?No. You know I don't patronize those kind of restaurants.
And what's the best type of gun to bring?Don't worry about that. They pat everyone down at the door and give you a pistol of your choice if you don't have one with you.

Ummm, guess I oughta mention that TSA could learn a few things from the friendly staff at Nik's about getting "personal" when doing a pat down.

Dances with Mice
05-09-2008, 09:30
They pat everyone down at the door and give you a pistol of your choice if you don't have one with you.Oh, I didn't know the restaurant was located in Kennesaw. I'll tell them you said their baklava is almost as good as the ones you had in Istambul.

Greeks just love having their food compared to Turkish cuisine.

Survivor Dave
05-09-2008, 09:35
Entertainment starts at 10:00 PM with the Mother Truckers. Are you staying Two Speed and DWM, or is that past hiker midnight for you senior citizens?
Seeing that DWM needs an alibi or something like that, free beverages sound good to me as well.

It is the location off Whitlock in Marietta, right?

Two Speed
05-09-2008, 09:36
Oh, I didn't know the restaurant was located in Kennesaw. I'll tell them you said their baklava is almost as good as the ones you had in Istambul.

Greeks just love having their food compared to Turkish cuisine.Thanks for the tip. I'll drop by tonight and tell 'em about the Turk who's coming to dinner Saturday, and let 'em know that he kidnapped his Greek "wife." Think I oughta mention that you make her dance with rodents? :-?

Oh, BTW, Turkey's capital is usually spelled "Istanbul."

Two Speed
05-09-2008, 12:00
Entertainment starts at 10:00 PM with the Mother Truckers. Are you staying Two Speed and DWM, or is that past hiker midnight for you senior citizens? Dunno. I like getting the senior citizen's discount, but I'm gonna ride my Honda up there and my internal gyro has a nasty tendency to crap out on me after talking to Stella for too long. You know anyone who's got a set of training wheels I could borrow for the evening?

All kidding around aside, Nik's tends to get a little rowdy shortly after sundown, so those who choose to stay are or course welcome to do so. Those that don't like loud, smoky rock 'n' roll holes are free to leave whenever they please.*

FWIW the bands are usually pretty good.
Seeing that DWM needs an alibi or something like that, free beverages sound good to me as well.Yep, mighty nice of DWM to offer to pick up the bar tab. You'd think he'd know better seeing as he's seen working on a bottle of cognac, but there ain't no accounting for some folks, is there?
It is the location off Whitlock in Marietta, right?
YES, THE LOCATION OFF OF WHITLOCK!!!!

Geez, how many times are you bunch of gomers gonna ask that question? And you children haven't even met Stella yet. Sheesh!

BTW, looks like another poor soul has decided to join the fun, so here's the list to date:

Ghosthiker, confirmed
Survivor Dave, confirmed
MoBill & wife, maybe
Gaiter, maybe
Grandma, confirmed
DWM, his wife and, the guest of honor, DWM's wallet, confirmed.
J Rabbit & better half, confirmed (I think, which would make them a maybe, maybe?)

* With the exception of DWM, who has to stay until he pays the bar tab. Then he can go if he wants to. :)

Dances with Mice
05-09-2008, 20:24
Entertainment starts at 10:00 PM with the Mother Truckers. Are you staying Two Speed and DWM, or is that past hiker midnight for you senior citizens? I dunno. Me and the missus might have to get back to have our Geritol infusion therapy.

Thanks for the tip. I'll drop by tonight and tell 'em about the Turk who's coming to dinner Saturday, and let 'em know that he kidnapped his Greek "wife." Yeah, right. Like you think they'd believe any Turk could overpower a Greek woman?

Dances with Mice
05-09-2008, 20:26
This Nick's place... is it off Whitlock?

Two Speed
05-09-2008, 20:31
This Nick's place... is it off Whitlock?Nope, Sessions St. Just send your wallet to Whitlock. :)

Survivor Dave
05-09-2008, 20:54
He's just looking for a reason to get out of the bar tab.

Maybe someone should go and pick him up tomorrow.

Nope, Sessions St. Just send your wallet to Whitlock. :)

Two Speed
05-10-2008, 07:13
Nah, no problem. Either DwM shows up or we rat him out to his wife the first chance we get. Either way we have fun.

Of course, he can just send his wallet. :)

MoBill122
05-10-2008, 12:39
Diana and I will be coming tonight.

Is the bar tab going to be in DWM's name ??? <G>

So I should check out Stella in a more personal way ?

Does the Senior Discount apply to the bar tab too ? no wait... I'm not buying, DWM is....

Two Speed
05-10-2008, 12:44
Diana and I will be coming tonight.Crap. I guess you're gonna have to sit on Survivor Dave's lap.
Is the bar tab going to be in DWM's name ??? <G>Absofriggin'lutely.
So I should check out Stella in a more personal way ?Depends on how your wife feels about that.
Does the Senior Discount apply to the bar tab too ? no wait... I'm not buying, DWM is....Your on the right track. Why do we care?

All kidding around aside, reservations made for dinner, everyone's on their own if they wanna stick around and see the band.

Gaiter
05-10-2008, 12:47
Looks like I won't be able to make it, will be on the other side of town then,
have fun!

Dances with Mice
05-10-2008, 15:43
So it looks like I have two choices:

1 - Risk getting a divorce and losing my house and half of everything I've worked for during my entire life.

- or -

2 - Buying beer for a group of hikers for one night.

I ran the numbers. Y'all are paying for your own drinks.

Two Speed
05-10-2008, 16:00
Damn it, there goes a perfectly good evening of drunken debauchery.

Survivor Dave
05-10-2008, 16:10
I strongly disagree.

I'm single and it's not so bad. I only have one mouth to feed and one mouth to listen to. You can always go hike as you won't need a home. It's all free on the AT. I hear work for stay isn't so bad. You might just have to do it a little more frequently.

So, now I hope I've cleared up the whose paying for beer. I thank YOU in advance.

SD

So it looks like I have two choices:

1 - Risk getting a divorce and losing my house and half of everything I've worked for during my entire life.

- or -

2 - Buying beer for a group of hikers for one night.

I ran the numbers. Y'all are paying for your own drinks.

Dances with Mice
05-10-2008, 16:24
Nick's does work for stay?!

MoBill122
05-10-2008, 16:58
Should I ask where the Hiker's or BIKER"S are sitting this time ???

I think I will carry my gun to that place ! <G>

Ghosthiker
05-10-2008, 21:30
Well, for those who missed it, there was good food and great company. Out Entertainment Director, DWM, and his wife put on a good juggling show.

http://www.rgregory.net/images/wb01.gif

I'm not sure if Two Speed remembers it all, as you can see by his bar tab.:D
http://www.rgregory.net/images/tsbartab.gif

MoBill122
05-10-2008, 21:31
Sorry.... DwM... but I just had an evil thought...and had to get the waitress to give you the bar tab. :banana

Ghosthiker
05-10-2008, 21:43
That was classic, MoBill.

Dances with Mice
05-10-2008, 21:44
I just want to say that anything that might be said about what anybody said tonight will all be greatly exaggerated.

Ghosthiker
05-10-2008, 21:56
I just want to say that anything that might be said about what anybody said tonight will all be greatly exaggerated.

Of course it will be exaggerated. What fun would telling the truth be?

is was good to meat you and some of the others. And that's the truth!

Grandma
05-10-2008, 21:57
How would DWM know, look at his bar tab!

Two Speed
05-10-2008, 21:58
Well, for those who missed it, there was good food and great company. Out Entertainment Director, DWM, and his wife put on a good juggling show.

http://www.rgregory.net/images/wb01.gif

I'm not sure if Two Speed remembers it all, as you can see by his bar tab.:D
http://www.rgregory.net/images/tsbartab.gifI sense a disturbance in the Force . . . we will meet again!

Survivor Dave
05-10-2008, 22:12
I can't believe that after all of the potent potables you consumed that your sensing the force of anything.... would be a stretch. LOL Just kidding:D
May the force be with you Two Speed. God knows your disturbed:eek::eek::eek::eek:.

It was great meeting new faces and seeing old. Hope to do it again soon.

SD

I sense a disturbance in the Force . . . we will meet again!

MamaCat
05-10-2008, 22:12
Just wanted to say it was nice meeting all yall! Had a fun time!

Skidsteer
05-10-2008, 22:33
http://www.rgregory.net/images/tsbartab.gif

Patron. Damn. Shoulda drove to Atlanta.

Survivor Dave
05-10-2008, 22:47
Patron. Damn. Shoulda drove to Atlanta.

Yeah, you shoulda. There was still booze left even after Two Speed paid his check. Go figure:D.

Who hearby appoints Skids director of Potent Potables for the Standing Indian Loop trek?

Ooops, thread swerve, should be in the Standing Indian thread.

SD

Two Speed
05-11-2008, 07:23
. . . Ooops, thread swerve, should be in the Standing Indian thread.

SDYeah, man, what're you thinking? Thread swerve don't cut it. Thread ricochet is the minimum standard around here.

Dances with Mice
05-11-2008, 09:32
Patron. Damn. Shoulda drove to Atlanta.You should have seen the tab for the OTHER end of the table.

Gaiter
05-11-2008, 17:31
Damn, looks like missed the fun, hopefully i'll make it next time...