PDA

View Full Version : 'Best' 40-50 miles section ?

Frau
04-01-2008, 12:55
We are planning a section hike in, most likely, NC for mid-June. We are considering Fontana to that road crossing just north of CLingman's Dome. We want the most picturesque hike we can get in that amount of time (9 days).

Anyone suggest a better hike, since we are unfamiliar with anything but little bits of AT in NC?

Thanks,

Frau

KG4FAM
04-01-2008, 13:03
The Roan is my favorite stretch up there. Balds, Cattle, and the Overmountain barn. Mountain Harbour at the end is great as well.

Jim Adams
04-01-2008, 13:11
I thought the same thing......Roan and the Balds are hard to beat....my favorite section in the south.

geek

wakapak
04-01-2008, 13:16
I thought the same thing......Roan and the Balds are hard to beat....my favorite section in the south.

geek

I second or third that one!! Definitely my favorite section in the south...they are absolutley beautiful!!! :sun

Frau
04-01-2008, 13:21
From what point to what point? We have to schedule a shuttle for one end.

Frau

KG4FAM
04-01-2008, 13:38
Erwin to 19E is about 50 miles. That gives you Mountain Harbour, Miss Janet, and Uncle Johnny for shuttles.

tlbj6142
04-01-2008, 13:51
Erwin to 19E is about 50 miles. That gives you Mountain Harbour, Miss Janet, and Uncle Johnny for shuttles.Does "Miss Janet's" exist anymore?

FWIW, I'm looking at doing the same section with my father (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33693) about that time of year. Still working out dates.

CrumbSnatcher
04-01-2008, 13:52
We are planning a section hike in, most likely, NC for mid-June. We are considering Fontana to that road crossing just north of CLingman's Dome. We want the most picturesque hike we can get in that amount of time (9 days).

Anyone suggest a better hike, since we are unfamiliar with anything but little bits of AT in NC?

Thanks,

Frau
INDIAN GRAVE GAP TO US#19E includes beauty spot,unaka mtn.,little rock knob,roan high bluff,carvers gap,round bald,jane bald,grassy ridge,over mountain shelter,little hump(bald) hump mtn.(bald)doll flats TEN TIMES BETTER THAN THE SMOKIES... 38.5 MILES

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 13:54
clingmans dome to max patch

wilconow
04-01-2008, 13:59
INDIAN GRAVE GAP TO US#19E includes beauty spot,unaka mtn.,little rock knob,roan high bluff,carvers gap,round bald,jane bald,grassy ridge,over mountain shelter,little hump(bald) hump mtn.(bald)doll flats TEN TIMES BETTER THAN THE SMOKIES... 38.5 MILES

I did that trip July 4th weekend a few years back. Here are photos (http://picasaweb.google.com/jjs6791/RoanHighlandsBackpackingTrip)

CrumbSnatcher
04-01-2008, 14:01
NICE SECTION TOO,ALOT OF DOWN HILL...

CrumbSnatcher
04-01-2008, 15:00
STARTING AT INDIAN GRAVE GAP will save you the climb out of erwin. if you could pull 71.3 in 9 days i would start at sams gap to us#19 (all northbound)
you would include big bald with a nice and easy, day or two hike mostly down hill to erwin. with a nice view/descent into the nolichucky(erwin) with alot of shuttle service in the area

Jim Adams
04-01-2008, 15:00
Erwin to 19E is about 50 miles. That gives you Mountain Harbour, Miss Janet, and Uncle Johnny for shuttles.

go as far as Kincora and use Bob Peoples for your shuttle.:-?

geek

Blissful
04-01-2008, 15:03
Roan Mtn, the bald area, the Humps, all great views. Big Bald is nice too, just south of Erwin.

Blissful
04-01-2008, 15:04

Yes, good one also. The ridgeline from Newfound Gap on in the Smokies of beautiful.

The Solemates
04-01-2008, 15:27

Thanks,

Frau

thats a great stretch, but only a 3 day hike. not 9

Frau
04-02-2008, 10:11
Nessmuk can only hike absolute max 9 miles/day, due to an old injury and surgery. AND, we may tack canoeing or kayaking on the end of the trip.

Frau

Frau
04-02-2008, 10:29
Looks like we need to do some research of all these suggestions, and look at photo galleries to see which will be best for us. We also need to check out the shuttling folks.

We want to do a shake down overnighter (or two) to the Priest or 3 Ridges, to test out my new Catalyst and settle some gear/equipment questions stoves and what sleeping bag I will carry.

Fr.

DiamondDoug
04-02-2008, 13:31
As the section maintainer from Big Bald to Little Bald I may be just a tad biased...but I'd suggest I-26 to 19E. That should give you a fairly leisurely nine day hike (I think in my thru I covered that stretch in 5 days), with an in-town overnighter in Erwin. Mid June is just about peak blooming season for the rhodos on Roan, so whatever you do, try to get to Roan. The open balds just north of there are gorgeous, and easy hiking. And of course there is that wonderful section from Big Bald (360 degree view) to Little Bald south of Roan.

Enjoy!

eventidecu
04-02-2008, 13:38
Got to go with Roan area too. But don't leave your car at 19e, local theif in area.

Gray Blazer
04-02-2008, 13:39
As the section maintainer from Big Bald to Little Bald I may be just a tad biased...but I'd suggest I-26 to 19E. That should give you a fairly leisurely nine day hike (I think in my thru I covered that stretch in 5 days), with an in-town overnighter in Erwin. Mid June is just about peak blooming season for the rhodos on Roan, so whatever you do, try to get to Roan. The open balds just north of there are gorgeous, and easy hiking. And of course there is that wonderful section from Big Bald (360 degree view) to Little Bald south of Roan.

Enjoy!

Are you acquainted with the Hermit of Big Bald? Nice guy who lives down that blue blaze N of Big Bald Shelter.

tina.anderson
04-03-2008, 13:24
Roan Mtn, the bald area, the Humps, all great views. Big Bald is nice too, just south of Erwin.

They are all beautiful places. I especially like Big Bald. I can't wait to go back there.