PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Shoes

JWren
04-01-2008, 13:01
I am going on a 3-4 or even 5 days hike with my dad this summer, and on my past hike i have used running shoes, i am a very avid runner and i just need some advice if I should just use a pair of my broken in running shoes, i also learned the hard way because in 2006 i hiked with a pair of probably a 3-5lb pair of wolverine boots, my next year i used my track season pair of Asics running shoes

wilconow
04-01-2008, 13:06
I find that plain running shoes are too flimsy for much the of AT terrain. Trail runners work best for me. They can handle hopping along rocks but still are quite comfortable.

Asics makes nice trail runners.

scope
04-01-2008, 13:35
I think its a function of weight & coordination. If you're heavier, your pack is heavy, or you're not the most coordinated, then you definitely want more support. I did a short section one time in a pair of runners and I did just fine, but I would say they felt flimsy and the rubber didn't have as much traction as I was used to. The only time I felt I was in the wrong shoes was going down a steep incline where I felt the uppers could fail if I didn't really watch my step and the rubber sole was prone to slippage.

Short answer is, at your age, should not be a problem.

Summit
04-01-2008, 13:49
About the only difference between running shoes and trail runners is the later have Vibram soles, which address the concerns of posts #2 and #3. But if it's a one-time gig and at 16 you're likely still growing, I wouldn't spend the extra $85-100 for trail runners, UNLESS you plan on joining your school's cross-country team. Then they would be a good investment for hiking and running.

JWren
04-01-2008, 15:15
UNLESS you plan on joining your school's cross-country team. Then they would be a good investment for hiking and running.

I am already on the Cross Country team, i hiked from Neels Gap Ga to Dicks Creek Gap and i used my pair of asics, the only hard time was going over a few rocks for about 3/4-1 mile. Me and my dad are planning on hiking more, this was more for my dad

Summit
04-01-2008, 15:53
I am already on the Cross Country team, i hiked from Neels Gap Ga to Dicks Creek Gap and i used my pair of asics, the only hard time was going over a few rocks for about 3/4-1 mile. Me and my dad are planning on hiking more, this was more for my dadIT may be more for your dad right now, but you two have the chance to bond and create memories for a lifetime. As a Dad who is getting ready to have my 24 year-old son join me for the first time in a long time this coming weekend, I have great memories of our hikes when he was much younger. We did a 109 mile hike when he was 9. True, I remember more about it than he does, but it was very special to both of us.

If yours (or your dad's) budget can handle a new pair of trail runners, you'll love them in cross-country.

scope
04-01-2008, 17:05
I am already on the Cross Country team, i hiked from Neels Gap Ga to Dicks Creek Gap and i used my pair of asics, the only hard time was going over a few rocks for about 3/4-1 mile. Me and my dad are planning on hiking more, this was more for my dad

You're exactly right about only having a hard time for very short stretches with running shoes, but I suspect your dad might be less tolerant of that once you're out there. You can certainly go with the running shoes you have, but I'd say its worth buying trail runners, especially if you're going to be hiking more. I like the Montrail Hardrocks, but lots of hikers are wearing Salomons - they're a little softer than the Hardrocks and that may suit you better if you're used to regular runners.

Summit
04-01-2008, 17:40
Get dear ol' dad to spring for both of you a pair of trail runners . . . just don't get matching . . . that would draw suspicious looks! :eek: :D