PDA

View Full Version : Good spots for TM south of the Smokies

MyFeetHurt
04-01-2008, 15:35
Hey all. Couple buddies and I are planning on doing some trail magic this weekend. Because of our location, we're going to need to be south of the park. Does anyone know of any great spots to set up?

I wanted to be as far north as we could so as to give the hikers plenty of time and opportunity to be tired and hungry. We were kicking around the idea of Deep Gap, which is about 80 miles north of springer. I remember on my hike, I had multiple experiences with trail magic early on, so this seems like it would be plenty far north. But I'm not sure what the hiking situation is like there.

Any good gaps with decent road access and camping? Thanks...

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 16:34
Maybe the parking lot at yellow Creek Mountain Gap on Yellow Creek Road / Upper Tuskeegee Road (off NC 28 - South of Fontana Dam)?

Yahtzee
04-01-2008, 17:03
Wayah Bald. Can drive up. Good views. Hikers normally break there anyway.

Have fun.

Bare Bear
04-01-2008, 17:16
Stecoah Gap near Robbinsville, NC There is a little park like access with two picnic tables off 128 but no camping unless you go towards Fontana. Hikers come up from NOC then a rough day or two to get there then are still a day or two out of Fontana.............and no good water there so that is the best thing the thru hikers need. The AT then goes up up up again for three miles.

Bare Bear
04-01-2008, 17:18
BTW Microtell is only hotel around, about ten miles down the hill to Robbinsville. Runs $70 a night, more on weekend. A few hikers will want a ride into town for good BBQ on left, then the Microtell; hiker friendly but the town generally is not.

emerald
04-01-2008, 17:19
Every act of so-called trail magic leads to another until one day the world will be out on the AT picnicking. I thought it was designated the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. US taxpayers spent millions of dollars to secure a corridor for this world-class recreational resource.

Fortunately, the day will come and soon when there will be no more AT hikers or maintainers. Everyone who isn't watching TV and can afford fuel for their car will be picnicking along roadsides where the AT and those who hiked it once crossed.

Maybe there will be signs at these picnic areas explaining to picnickers what a hiker is and how people once hiked from Georgia to Maine. I expect most won't believe it.:-?

MyFeetHurt
04-01-2008, 18:37
shades of gray, i'm not sure i understand you post??? I thru-hiked the AT in 2006 and I can assure you that as a hiker, trail magic was one of the best parts of hiking the trail.

MyFeetHurt
04-01-2008, 18:38
oh, and thanks everyone for the suggestions...

HYOH
04-01-2008, 19:13
Every act of so-called trail magic leads to another until one day the world will be out on the AT picnicking. I thought it was designated the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. US taxpayers spent millions of dollars to secure a corridor for this world-class recreational resource.

Fortunately, the day will come and soon when there will be no more AT hikers or maintainers. Everyone who isn't watching TV and can afford fuel for their car will be picnicking along roadsides where the AT and those who hiked it once crossed.

Maybe there will be signs at these picnic areas explaining to picnickers what a hiker is and how people once hiked from Georgia to Maine. I expect most won't believe it.:-?

Just a shade negative aren't you GB? Maybe this will help;
1.Try a shot of Geritol
2. Move out of PA
3. Come to the realization that your chit stinks just like everyone elses!
4. Try to fathom that not all Trail Magic is agenda motivated.

HYOH

Blissful
04-01-2008, 19:18
My hubby set up at Hog Pen Gap and that worked out well. Hikers loved it. A guy also set up at Unicoi, but that was tough going up Tray Mtn afterwards.

Only problem with Stecoah is that by the time you leave, you won't want to drag yourself up that steep incline. :)

Lone Wolf
04-01-2008, 21:52
shades of gray, i'm not sure i understand you post??? I thru-hiked the AT in 2006 and I can assure you that as a hiker, trail magic was one of the best parts of hiking the trail.

huh? :-?

Gray Blazer
04-01-2008, 22:07
A little more remote and with hikers prolly not staying at a hostel that morning, I would suggest Tray Mountain Gap. That's if you're staying with your car.

My idea of trail fun is to be at a remote spot where you hiked in everything and just be camping out on some remote mountaintop at the end of a short blue-blaze like Rocky Bald near Tellico Gap.

Lilred
04-01-2008, 22:43
Why do I hear music from West Side Story? I envision turf wars between trail 'angels' in the distant future........;)

emerald
04-02-2008, 06:35
Once there's no longer hikers or an AT on which to hike, plans call for building hiker-icons which will then be "fed." Temples are to be erected to provide sanctuary for these hiker-icons.

Funding for temple construction and security within each sanctuary will be provided by oil-producing countries as most all oil then produced will be earmarked for travel to them.

Outside these sanctuaries, long lines and armed violence will be the norm.

emerald
04-02-2008, 06:38
Maybe HYOH will explain to us how "trail magic" is hiking.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 06:40
real "trail magic" is rare. roadside hiker feeds are very common and no big deal

MOWGLI
04-02-2008, 06:43
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.3075131/k.29C2/TrailMagic.htm

MyFeetHurt
04-02-2008, 07:25
Wait a minute, are you guys really upset that people set up on the side of the road to give hikers free food? I mean, what about crossing a road is wilderness anyway?

I just don't see the point in being upset that anyone would do this? I've hiked for close to 20 years now, and I understand the idea of being in the wilderness. I also understand that people spending their own money and time to feed a group of tired, hungry people in no way detracts from the experience, and I feel adds a very neat element to the overall trail experience.

Sorry if some purists will get their panties in a bunch, but I'm willing to bet the people we talk to and feed this weekend won't mind....

Gray Blazer
04-02-2008, 07:31
Why do I hear music from West Side Story? I envision turf wars between trail 'angels' in the distant future........;)
There could possibly be one at Wayah Bald, Burningtown Gap and Rocky Bald at the same time. That could spoil some hikers.

I think Bfitz hit it on the head in the last trail magic thread. People like to get away to the mountains and have fun. People + beer + food + Hikers = party. :banana

Gray Blazer
04-02-2008, 07:42
oh, and thanks everyone for the suggestions...

Have fun. Don't forget to get everyone's name and email addresses.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 08:50
Hey all. Couple buddies and I are planning on doing some trail magic this weekend. Because of our location, we're going to need to be south of the park. Does anyone know of any great spots to set up?

I wanted to be as far north as we could so as to give the hikers plenty of time and opportunity to be tired and hungry. We were kicking around the idea of Deep Gap, which is about 80 miles north of springer. I remember on my hike, I had multiple experiences with trail magic early on, so this seems like it would be plenty far north. But I'm not sure what the hiking situation is like there.

Any good gaps with decent road access and camping? Thanks...

doesn't matter where you do your feeding. it happens so much that hikers expect it every road crossing. feeds are a dime-a-dozen in the south

MyFeetHurt
04-02-2008, 09:09
alright, well then, we'll be doing nothing spectacular this weekend, and will be contributing to the desecration of the wilderness. Thanks for making an idea of being helpful and giving back seem so terrible.

Anyway, like I said, I never once thought of trail magic as a negative, and no matter how many times I received it, I was always extremely excited to see it and enjoyed talking with all the lovely people who provided it. I guess I'm just lucky not to have ever run into all the hikers who have such negative thoughts of trail magic. Or, as I'd like to think, there are just a few who tend to have a an elitist view of themselves as "pure trail people" and I'd really rather not bother myself with them anyway....

Trail Magic does not ruin the AT no matter how many "angels" there are. Enjoy it for what it is.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 09:11
do trail maintenance if you want to "give back". feeding hikers with packs full of food and money is..well.. just that :)

MyFeetHurt
04-02-2008, 09:22
yeah, i'm a maintainer lone wolf. but I really do think that helping thru-hikers anyway I can, even if I'm doing the exact same thing that a million other people are doing, makes a positive impact on the AT experience. Certainly, we will clean up after ourselves, will limit our impact, and will generally be good trail folk, but I am looking forward to talking with some hikers, reminiscing a bit, and helping them just a little and being a small part of their experience. And again, I can only speak for myself, but I enjoyed ALL the trail magic I received. Not only for the food and drink, but the conversation. Plus, it really did something to my mindset, and I was always walking just a bit easier for the day or two after the magic.

I agree, maintaining the trail is the most important "work" you can do. But I really do see the positives with trail magic, and I hope other hikers appreciate it as much as I did. No matter how many times it pops up, it will always be a wonderful part of the trail experience. One of the greatest, if not the greatest, gifts I got from hiking the Trail was a much better view of human kindness. The Trail is about the community, and along with your fellow hikers, the random acts of kindness you get from complete strangers is absolutely amazing. Trail magic was a part of that for me, and it will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 09:36
what you describe isn't "trail magic". it's just feeding hikers

MyFeetHurt
04-02-2008, 09:37
semantics lone wolf...

Gray Blazer
04-02-2008, 09:46
Every act of so-called trail magic leads to another until one day the world will be out on the AT picnicking. :-?

That sounds like a good idea. I'd like to teach the world to sing......Shades of Gray....if even the oil producers were there I would think that would make you happy. Maybe you could pick a happier color than gray.

FEET'S HURT.....You're prolly not gonna get a lot of positive responses from WBer's with high post numbers. Do your feed and have fun.

When's it gonna be (just in case somebody here might want to join you)? Is there a menu so people know what to bring? (example: If it's an all day breakfast I might want to bring an extra stove and some ham and eggs or whatever.) Where's it gonna be?

MyFeetHurt
04-02-2008, 09:50
Gray Blazer, still trying to decide. I spoke with a frolicking dino last night, and she pointed me in the direction of Yellow Creek Mtn. Also, I liked the idea of Wayah Bald, but the weather up there may not be conducive to our little propane grill. My buddies are pushing for Deep Gap near Standing Indian.

Once we get it hammered out, I'll let you know. And I see you live in Hogtown! Class of '00 here!

Sly
04-02-2008, 10:01
At the road on the bottom of Mt Albert where Fishin Fred and Gatorade set up is a good spot. Just off the trail and plenty of room for camping. The road is past Rock Gap.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 10:03
At the road on the bottom of Mt Albert where Fishin Fred and Gatorade set up is a good spot. Just off the trail and plenty of room for camping. The road is past Rock Gap.

the forest service said no more feeds there. too much impact. if you're gonna do feeds do them at paved roads

Sly
04-02-2008, 10:12
the forest service said no more feeds there. too much impact. if you're gonna do feeds do them at paved roads

FF was just there. When did they say that?

chili36
04-02-2008, 10:12
I agree with the Stecoah Gap suggestion. I know a Boy Scout group usually does something at or near the Cheese Factory this time of year. Fontana usually gets it share of attention as well.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 10:14
FF was just there. When did they say that?

this year? i coulda swore mala told me this recently

max patch
04-02-2008, 10:14
You could donate your time and money to a homeless shelter. I'm sure the patrons would have more need of your food than a middle income individual on a 6 month vacation.

But if you decide to go against the wishes of the ATC and do this feed anyway, then do as LW says and do it at a paved road. Neel Gap would be good.

MyFeetHurt
04-02-2008, 10:20
"But if you decide to go against the wishes of the ATC and do this feed anyway"

Right. Because that's the point of this....

max patch
04-02-2008, 10:27
"But if you decide to go against the wishes of the ATC and do this feed anyway"

Right. Because that's the point of this....

If you don't know what the position of the ATC is on this issue then I suggest you investigate furthur.

Sly
04-02-2008, 10:31
this year? i coulda swore mala told me this recently

Yeah, this year for a couple days. I just missed them

If you don't know what the position of the ATC is on this issue then I suggest you investigate furthur.

If you read the link posted by Mowgli, the ATC is not against trail magic. They say just keep it small and don't leave any food unattended.

HYOH
04-02-2008, 11:44
Maybe HYOH will explain to us how "trail magic" is hiking.

HYOH never said TM is hiking, it's just another segment of the total concept. MY concept is not the same as yours, as is evident by your 2538 post. I'd rather walk than type. Your concept of injecting negativism into a scenario where someone is trying to feel good about helping someone out while bonding with the trail community runs perpendicular to my concept of trail community also but it's your hike. Enjoy it.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 11:47
i like to feed chipmunks and mice and such at shelters

HYOH
04-02-2008, 11:53
i like to feed chipmunks and mice and such at shelters

Yea me too. That way they stay away from my tent site:D

dixicritter
04-02-2008, 11:56
Suggestions have been given. Good luck with your feed.