PDA

View Full Version : All mesh tents... Good or bad?

Socrates
04-01-2008, 19:52
Someone told me that tents made of all mesh are bad for hot wet humid climates, such as summer months in Florida.(Something to do with condensation coming in from the fly)... While I've been thinking the more air flow, the cooler and better... If anyone would like to give me some theories or opinions on this, I would appreciate it... ~ Socrates

If it helps, this is a link to the tent I'm looking at... (Not as much for hiking but for camping with my Great Dane or a buddy or two... Although the weight isn't bad for a 3 person tent on a shared hike.) And no, a 2 person tent won't fit my 100+ pound dog with her long legs dreaming and kicking...
http://marmot.com/spring_2008/equipment/tents/ultralight/aeros_3p/overview

Appalachian Tater
04-01-2008, 19:55
Look at Henry Shires Tarptent Double Rainbow. It may be big enough for you and your dog and gear.

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2008, 20:01
All I remember was the solid near canvas Andre Jamlet tent that was four season. You still would not want to be in it in Florida - other than getting away from the bugs. Even then it could be uncomfortable, since then all mesh tents were a must for me. I even used them in winter. Not the best advice.

Skidsteer
04-01-2008, 20:03
Actually, a mesh tent with a fly may be the best option if minimizing condensation is your priority.

For Tarptents, I second the Double Rainbow and will add that I'm really digging the Hilleberg Rajd (http://www.hilleberg.com/2006%20Products/NewRajd.htm) these days.

Socrates
04-01-2008, 20:06
Look at Henry Shires Tarptent Double Rainbow. It may be big enough for you and your dog and gear.
No, my dog is 43 inches tall (or stretched out) and still growing... But thanks though. I'm mainly asking about all mesh tents in hot moist humidity...

All I remember was the solid near canvas Andre Jamlet tent that was four season. You still would not want to be in it in Florida - other than getting away from the bugs. Even then it could be uncomfortable, since then all mesh tents were a must for me. I even used them in winter. Not the best advice.
Ahh so then I was right to think that the more mesh, the better in such weather? He was saying it had something to do with condensation coming through the mesh from the rain fly.

Tinker
04-01-2008, 20:22
The only time an all mesh inner tent can be a problem is in very humid, foggy, still conditions in rain. The reason is that condensation on the underside of the fly is inevitable, since the air is saturated to 100%. The beads of water on the underside of the fly get knocked off by the raindrops falling on the outside of the fly and you get "misted on". This is relatively rare, and also happens with single walled tents and basic tarps as well. If the tent has a fabric roof (even just on top), the fabric temporarily soaks up the mist and you stay drier (if only a bit). If you can pick and choose your camping days, anything will do. If you're going to be on the trail for days or weeks at a time, you will get wet (or at least damp) regardless of the shelter you choose. This may be the only factor in favor of staying in shelters. The roof is hard and condensation can't be knocked off (but the fog will still get ya)!

Socrates
04-01-2008, 20:50
The only time an all mesh inner tent can be a problem is in very humid, foggy, still conditions in rain. The reason is that condensation on the underside of the fly is inevitable, since the air is saturated to 100%. The beads of water on the underside of the fly get knocked off by the raindrops falling on the outside of the fly and you get "misted on". This is relatively rare, and also happens with single walled tents and basic tarps as well. If the tent has a fabric roof (even just on top), the fabric temporarily soaks up the mist and you stay drier (if only a bit). If you can pick and choose your camping days, anything will do. If you're going to be on the trail for days or weeks at a time, you will get wet (or at least damp) regardless of the shelter you choose. This may be the only factor in favor of staying in shelters. The roof is hard and condensation can't be knocked off (but the fog will still get ya)!
Thank you for the explanation! And yes, it will be mainly used for trips with some notice to check weather forecasts and most times, able to bail if necessary. And there are just those times when you gotta suck it up too. So it doesn't sound like so much of a threat that I'll be deterred from getting it. Thanks again. ;)

Dirtygaiters
04-01-2008, 21:08
I swear... you can post anything on this forum about the subject of tents or tenting, it doesn't even matter that you're not asking for a recommendation, people will still randomly spam advertizements for tarptents...

Tinker is spot on right about all mesh inner tents. It's rare that the conditions will occur to get you wet, and the mesh is designed to catch the water droplets, but some mist will get through under the right conditions. I only wish that there were more manufacturers of double wall tents that would put ceiling vents on their rainflys because condensation could be vastly minimized with just the right air circulation.

With regards to the original question, I definitely beleive that all mesh inner tents are optimal for hot and humid climates, although another consideration, besides how much mesh is in the inner tent, is how low the rainfly comes to the ground. Some rainflys are designed to cover right down to the ground, while others are designed to cover only down to the top of the bathtub floor. The higher the rainfly, the more air circulation, and the less potential for condensation.

rafe
04-01-2008, 21:24
This will keep the rain out? How? :-?

rafe
04-01-2008, 21:26
I swear... you can post anything on this forum about the subject of tents or tenting, it doesn't even matter that you're not asking for a recommendation, people will still randomly spam advertizements for tarptents...

And someone else will chime in that tents suck and hammocks "rule." ;)

Skidsteer
04-01-2008, 21:29
This will keep the rain out? How? :-?

It should do all right if he doesn't forget the fly.

http://src.marmot.com/web/s08/thumb/2951_117__Fly.gif

rafe
04-01-2008, 21:33
It should do all right if he doesn't forget the fly.

http://src.marmot.com/web/s08/thumb/2951_117__Fly.gif

In which case the tent's design isn't all that unusual... I'm still not sure what an "all mesh tent" is but most double-walled tents I've seen and used these last 20 years or so are mostly mesh on the inside.

Skidsteer
04-01-2008, 21:40
In which case the tent's design isn't all that unusual... I'm still not sure what an "all mesh tent" is but most double-walled tents I've seen and used these last 20 years or so are mostly mesh on the inside.

I agree.

I'm assuming he differentiates the tent from the fly and that's the explanation behind 'all-mesh'.

If he takes the tent w/o the fly, he'll be complaining about something other than condensation, that's for sure.

Dirtygaiters
04-01-2008, 21:47
And someone else will chime in that tents suck and hammocks "rule." ;)

:eek: Not on this forum, haha.

I think there's enough of a difference between tents with an all-mesh inner tent and a mostly-mesh inner tent to warrant drawing a line between them. The ones with inner tents half of breathable nylon and half of mesh for instance can add a little warmth in the wintertime (and clamminess in the summertime) compared to those with inner tents made entirely of mesh, which, in theory at least, promote maximum ventilation and air circulation. IME, at least.

NICKTHEGREEK
04-04-2008, 05:52

Tinker is spot on right about all mesh inner tents. It's rare that the conditions will occur to get you wet, and the mesh is designed to catch the water droplets, but some mist will get through under the right conditions. I only wish that there were more manufacturers of double wall tents that would put ceiling vents on their rainflys because condensation could be vastly minimized with just the right air circulation.

With regards to the original question, I definitely beleive that all mesh inner tents are optimal for hot and humid climates, although another consideration, besides how much mesh is in the inner tent, is how low the rainfly comes to the ground. Some rainflys are designed to cover right down to the ground, while others are designed to cover only down to the top of the bathtub floor. The higher the rainfly, the more air circulation, and the less potential for condensation.
Great post!

NICKTHEGREEK
04-04-2008, 05:57
Not really, many tents called 3 1/2, convertible and 4 season had very little mesh and offered a zip over cover for what mesh there was. Walrus and Moss (now MSR) made some great examples.

Heater
04-04-2008, 06:11
Have a look at some of the tepee style tents. They offer a lot of room for less weight. They also have the mesh inserts that you can use or not use depending on conditions.

MamaCat
04-04-2008, 16:02
There is one tent that is mesh with fly that does OK in heavy rain/ humidity. I have one here in GA were it does get very humid. The BA Emerald Mountain. It holds the fly away from the tent and had good air vents which keeps condensation very low. I think that is why Backpacker choose it for 2007 editor's award. there are a couple of youtube videos showing it -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92qgPF7JNYE & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-QR7tBN2WM . I have a SL3 for both me and hubby. I like it :-)