PDA

View Full Version : Where Should I Start?

nyushka42
04-01-2008, 20:30
So, I've gotten sick of city living again, (especially flat Chicago living) and am itching to get back on the trail I had to abandon 2 summers ago... Unfortunately, some med bills and other obligations (weddings & such) are keeping me in until August 11th (horrible, I hate it, I want to go now!!!).

Time to ask ya'll for some advise. I'll be heading east after 8/11, and want to go to the finish before October 14th. Where logically should I start? I would have loved to start in NC where I left off, but that's obviously not going to happen. I was thinking near the I90 overpass in MA, since I'll be greyhounding it.

Any suggestions? Being in pretty decent shape, after the usual week of adjustment, I should be able to manage 15 to 20 miles a day. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

burger
04-02-2008, 09:48
I don't know what the transportation options are from Chicago, but there's bus service from Boston to Williamstown, MA and to Hanover and Lincoln in NH. If you're going through New York City, you can catch a bus to Great Barrington, MA.

So you have a lot of options--it's just a question of far you want to give yourself to do in 2 months.

max patch
04-02-2008, 10:35
Rather than "guess" where to start so that you finish before 10/15, I'd suggest starting at K and heading south until you get to wherever you get to.

FWIW -- not much, I'm sure -- I finished the first week in October. On 8/10 I was in Kent, CT. But I certainly wouldn't suggest you start your hike based on that.

Good luck.