PDA

View Full Version : Roots left me for

gungho
04-01-2008, 20:31
well I dropped Roots off at Springer and watched her start her journey. Even though it will be over by the end of the month,she will definetly be richer for the experiences she will encounter. Everyone keep her in your prayers for a safe trip. Roots is a very strong and independent women and even though she is with a group of other women, I still worry and will be concerned until I meet up with her at Fontana and continue on with her into the smokies.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_33.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_19_3.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS) http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_19.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)

Just a few things I am feeling at this moment

Two Speed
04-01-2008, 20:33
You're gonna like the Smokies. Doing the AT or the BMT?

gungho
04-01-2008, 20:35
the AT, unsure if we will be able to finish the whole thing,just depends on how things go for roots between now and then.

Thoughtful Owl
04-02-2008, 10:05
Gungho, it is only natural to be concerned. Glad she is in a group and not alone. We will definately keep Roots in our thoughts and prayers. She has got to be so excited starting out on this new adventure...and she too will be looking forward to the day you two meet up at Fontana. It's all good!

Cuffs
04-02-2008, 10:20
Yea Roots!

Gungho, you are in my thoughts too! Is she doing a TJ or will you at least keep us posted on her progress?

Mike.C
04-02-2008, 10:21
Gungho, it is only natural to be concerned. Glad she is in a group and not alone. We will definately keep Roots in our thoughts and prayers. She has got to be so excited starting out on this new adventure...and she too will be looking forward to the day you two meet up at Fontana. It's all good!

Wow Owl. You realy are "thoughtful" :)

gungho
04-02-2008, 10:28
Yea Roots!

Gungho, you are in my thoughts too! Is she doing a TJ or will you at least keep us posted on her progress?

Her plan is to write her journals each night and either enter them herself when she gains access to a computer or mail them home and then I will update her journals for her. Go to www.trailjournals.com\roots (http://www.trailjournals.com\roots).

I will also keep everyone updated on here as well. So,far I am not sure where she is at? But knowing the group she started with, they are definitely having a blast.

Sly
04-02-2008, 11:00
Good luck Roots, have a great hike! Gungho, try not to worry, she'll be fine. Use the power of positive thinking.

gungho
04-02-2008, 11:57
thanks for the words of encouragement Sly,I really needed that.

Mrs Baggins
04-02-2008, 12:41
I was supposed to be out with her and the group but had to delay a week. I'm positive they're all doing fantastic! We're so much stronger than we believe we are and as a woman who was contemplating hiking alone I can tell you that after being out last year and seeing just how many women are on their own, I'd go without fear. I just decided I'd rather have someone to talk to :)

gungho
04-02-2008, 16:05
Just a quick update. I did hear from Roots this afternoon and everyone is doing fine. They have already reached their destination for tonight. She has meet a lot of great people and having a blast. I have to admit even I am busting with anticipation to read her journals,somebody get this girl to a computer.:banana

gungho
04-03-2008, 21:20
just spoke to Roots. It was really cold,windy and rainy today. But she was in good spirits and really having a good time. She is really wishing she had brought her gaiters at this point,but we all live and learn. Anyway,she will be taking a much deserved zero day tomorrow. So,maybe I will be able to talk to her longer tomorrowhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_34.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)

Cuffs
04-03-2008, 21:28
Wheres she zero-ing at?

gungho
04-03-2008, 22:14
Thanks for everyone's inquiries on Roots adventure. Unfortunatlely, she has had some problems with her cell phone battery and has not been able to talk long(Only to tell me she is still alive) I have over nited her a new battery and will be getting an extensive update sometime tomorrow night.

Hooch, I will definetly let you know how the caldera cone is holding up.

Hooch
04-03-2008, 22:19
Thanks for everyone's inquiries on Roots adventure. Unfortunatlely, she has had some problems with her cell phone battery and has not been able to talk long(Only to tell me she is still alive) I have over nited her a new battery and will be getting an extensive update sometime tomorrow night.

Hooch, I will definetly let you know how the caldera cone is holding up.Glad to hear Roots and her crew are going on and going strong. Keep us all posted. My Cone worked really well last weekend at Red River Gorge here in Kentucky. My first true field test with it. I love it even more now! Let us know what you can when you can and tell Roots we're all hoping the best for her!

gungho
04-03-2008, 22:21
Glad to hear Roots and her crew are going on and going strong. Keep us all posted. My Cone worked really well last weekend at Red River Gorge here in Kentucky. My first true field test with it. I love it even more now! Let us know what you can when you can and tell Roots we're all hoping the best for her!

Will do, man

peanuts
04-03-2008, 22:29
you go girl!!!! gogogogogogogogo

wakapak
04-03-2008, 22:30
Good to hear she's having fun out there!! looking forward to the updates as you get 'em gungho!!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-03-2008, 22:31
::: Dino curls a supportive trail around Gungho and cheers for all the Hens ::

Hooch
04-03-2008, 22:37
::: Dino curls a supportive trail around Gungho and cheers for all the Hens ::Is this the infamous "Hen Hike" I heard so much about at SoRuck? Who all is on it?

peanuts
04-03-2008, 22:38
yes the one and only "hen hike"

gungho
04-04-2008, 07:34
Is this the infamous "Hen Hike" I heard so much about at SoRuck? Who all is on it?

Now, you know that is top secret information, :D

Mrs Baggins
04-04-2008, 07:59
yes the one and only "hen hike"

:eek::eek::eek: No one is supposed to know about that!:eek::eek::eek::eek: - except all of their family members and friends. And all the people they meet on the trail. And whoever all those people tell........

gungho
04-04-2008, 19:56
Just got a field report from Roots. It is cold,rainy,foggy,windy and very muddy on the trail(I know I know ,I should be a weather forecaster)
Anyway,she is all dry, warm and cozy tucked away in a little resort along the trail. When I talked to her they were on their way to grab a hot meal.

Hooch, The caldera cone is really outdoing itself. She has been giving demos everytime she gets it out to cook with it. She could have sold a dozen or so if she had them(I think we should make a career move and hit the trail with a pack full of caldera cone:-?

Roots sounded very good and everything is holding up so far. They will start increasing their miles tomorrow. weather permitting

gungho
04-05-2008, 18:20
well rain,rain want go away. The trail is a muddy washout. Roots and the rest of the Hen Hike gang decided to take a zero day, hoping there will be better weather tomorrow.

Hooch
04-05-2008, 18:23
Now, you know that is top secret information, :DI didn't know it was all secretive and what not. Jeez. :rolleyes: :D

well rain,rain want go away. The trail is a muddy washout. Roots and the rest of the Hen Hike gang decided to take a zero day, hoping there will be better weather tomorrow.Bummer about the weather, hope things dry up for them in the next couple days so they can make some miles and enjoy their hike.

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 18:25
Bummer about the weather, hope things dry up for them in the next couple days so they can make some miles and enjoy their hike.

Picked up two thrus yesterday at Dick's Creek Gap and these girls were muddy up to their knees. It has been raining here in NE GA since Thursday morning.

gungho
04-05-2008, 18:34
Picked up two thrus yesterday at Dick's Creek Gap and these girls were muddy up to their knees. It has been raining here in NE GA since Thursday morning.

Roots has been on the trail since Tuesday and I believe it has been raining ever since. She was also covered in mudd up to her knees. The rain pants were useless so I think she bought her a pair of gaiters at Neels gap.

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 18:47
Well, the rain let up a bit here (about 25 miles south of Neels) Wednesday afternoon and picked back up Thursday about lunch. It has been raining ever since. Even my yard is a muddy mess. Horrible time to be out on the trail. As much as I LOVE hiking. I do not hike in this kind of weather. Quick summer storms I can live with. Days on end of raining, not for me. I hope her gang gets some good weather next week. Tomorrow looks fabulous. Me and my crowd will definately be out there somewhere tomorrow. Leaning towards Yonah Mountain.

gungho
04-05-2008, 22:10
Roots just wanted me to put a shout to The Trail Dames of the yahoo women hikers. They have been at neels gap feeding hikers burgers and hotdogs. Just knowing they were there is what motivated many of the hikers to drudge thru the muddy trail.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_19_1.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)

Bulldawg
04-05-2008, 22:12
Will they be cooking lunch tomorrow there??? Was looking for somewhere to hike, but I might just look for somewhere to yogi lunch??

:banana:banana:D:D

gungho
04-05-2008, 22:14
Will they be cooking lunch tomorrow there??? Was looking for somewhere to hike, but I might just look for somewhere to yogi lunch??

:banana:banana:D:D

I believe they will be there a few more days.

gungho
04-06-2008, 12:18
Roots Got a ride back to neels gap from Josh @ the hiker hostel. The trail dames were still their cooking away. So. they grabbed a couple of burgers to eat when they get on up the trail. The weather is awesome today. They got a late start, but all is good.

gungho
04-06-2008, 12:23
Also, she mailed me her journals today, so hopefully I will get them soon and be able to update her trailjournals. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_211.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)

Hooch
04-06-2008, 12:35
Roots Got a ride back to neels gap from Josh @ the hiker hostel. The trail dames were still their cooking away. So. they grabbed a couple of burgers to eat when they get on up the trail. The weather is awesome today. They got a late start, but all is good.

Also, she mailed me her journals today, so hopefully I will get them soon and be able to update her trailjournals. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_211.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)Excellent news all around, GungHo. Tell all the gals to keep their chins up, stay safe and enjoy this hike when you talk to Roots. :)

Bulldawg
04-06-2008, 21:18
The weather was awesome today in Georgia!! We hiked from right after lunch until almost dark. A huge relief after the almost solid week of rain (even though I know we need it, i can still complain when it rains and I am off work!)

gungho
04-06-2008, 22:12
The weather was awesome today in Georgia!! We hiked from right after lunch until almost dark. A huge relief after the almost solid week of rain (even though I know we need it, i can still complain when it rains and I am off work!)

Where did you end up hiking? I am also glad to hear about the weather update.

Bulldawg
04-06-2008, 23:13
Ended up on Rabun Bald. Kids went with me, so I had to keep it under 5 miles.

Absolutely the BEST views in Georgia!

gungho
04-07-2008, 20:22
Just talked to Roots today. It was a good day on the trail. She did 13 miles today so she was pretty tired and hungry. Until today they were doing short days because of the muddy mess on the trail. Hopefully, I will get her journals in the mail soon.

They are planning on doing a 16 mile day tomorrow. If she has a signal I should hear from her.:sun

Hooch
04-07-2008, 20:27
Just talked to Roots today. It was a good day on the trail. She did 13 miles today so she was pretty tired and hungry. Until today they were doing short days because of the muddy mess on the trail. Hopefully, I will get her journals in the mail soon.

They are planning on doing a 16 mile day tomorrow. If she has a signal I should hear from her.:sunThanx for the update, GungHo. :D

Smile
04-08-2008, 14:49
The ladies out there are doing great! Sadly, had to leave the trail for some pressing business, you GO GIRLS! :) And a BIG THANK YOU to the Trail Dames, they were real troopers out in bad weather providing a wonderful TMBarbeque at Mtn. Crossings last week, really good stuff, and fruit too! Thanks Ladies, your efforts are much appreciated!

gungho
04-08-2008, 19:54
The ladies out there are doing great! Sadly, had to leave the trail for some pressing business, you GO GIRLS! :) And a BIG THANK YOU to the Trail Dames, they were real troopers out in bad weather providing a wonderful TMBarbeque at Mtn. Crossings last week, really good stuff, and fruit too! Thanks Ladies, your efforts are much appreciated!

By the way, no one has yet used the name PRIVY CONE and I think this should be considered by a newb somewhere :)

Glad to see you made it home safe and sound. I hope everything is okay. Hope to see on the trail again someday. :sun

gungho
04-08-2008, 20:00
Just talked too Roots, but only briefly, the cell signal was sketchy at best. But, everyone is in good spirits, they knocked out about 8 miles today and found a good place to make camp. My daughter and I will be meeting them sometime tomorrow and taking them into town for a much deserved break.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_1_111.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxmk762MNUS)

Chaco Taco
04-10-2008, 07:31
I had a blast with Roots at Tray Mtn. Cant wait to see you guys at TD's.

gungho
04-10-2008, 08:53
I had a blast with Roots at Tray Mtn. Cant wait to see you guys at TD's.
Yeah. me neither, I have been laughing all night long at all of the stories. I am with Roots right now, spending the day with her:sun

Sly
04-10-2008, 09:00
Where y'all at?

Roots
04-10-2008, 09:09
Where y'all at?

Fat and full at the Hiawassee Holiday Inn Express. :D

Hey Everyone!!! Thank you so much for all the support. It means a lot to us.

Zeke is about a day ahead. We chose to zero here in Hiawassee. We'll be back on the trail tomorrow.

The trail is GREAT!! We are finally starting to get a little leg behind us. We got in a couple double digit days the past few days and aren't too sore. :)

I'm hiking with Little Steps-originally Bobbi(Mary). We are having an amazing time. We have met some of the most AWESOME people and trail angels. THIS IS THE LIFE!!!!

Thanks to trail angel Peanut, Col. Chaco and I were able to share a cold one at Tray Gap 2 days ago...that was the best beer in the world.

Hope to see some of you guys out there soon. Thanks again for all of your support. A BIG THANK YOU TO THE TRAIL DAMES!!! That veggie burger rocked-both of them. :D

warraghiyagey
04-10-2008, 09:12
Sounds like you're having a great hike Roots. Have fun!!:sun

Sly
04-10-2008, 09:15
That's awesome. keep it going!

Roots
04-10-2008, 09:20
Thanks guys!! My trailjournals should be getting posted this coming week. Hope everyone is well and hope to keep you posted.:)

gungho
04-10-2008, 22:35
Just left Roots. Her and little step will be getting back on the trail in the morning to continue their Journey. I meet a lot of hikers today(Colonel Chaco,Mudslide W\out gypsy,Bourbon,Chipmunk,Ez does it, there were more but I am having one of those moments and will probably wake up @2am and remember their names. Anyway, Goodluck on everyones journey and the clock is ticking until I can meet Roots on the trail and start hiking with her.(T-minus 8 days and counting)

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I have trail journals to enter:sun

gungho
04-11-2008, 19:36
Hey all. Just talked to Roots. They made it into NC today Yipee!!!

Hooch
04-11-2008, 19:38
Hey all. Just talked to Roots. They made it into NC today Yipee!!! Ooh-rah, excellent news! Glad to hear all is going well for her. She stopping in Franklin to stay with Ron?

Trillium
04-11-2008, 19:56
Oh yeah, almost forgot. I have trail journals to enter:sunglad to hear the gals are doing well; but am wondering when the trail journals will be entered? :)

gungho
04-11-2008, 20:46
Ooh-rah, excellent news! Glad to hear all is going well for her. She stopping in Franklin to stay with Ron?

Yes, She is stopping in to stay with Ron. It will be a nero. Not sure what day probably sunday??

gungho
04-11-2008, 20:48
glad to hear the gals are doing well; but am wondering when the trail journals will be entered? :)

I entered in the 1st day last night. I will be entering others over the next couple of days. I have to keep the suspense up:D

Bulldawg
04-11-2008, 20:56
I entered in the 1st day last night. I will be entering others over the next couple of days. I have to keep the suspense up:D

I hope that are really battened down tonight. We have some bad weather fixing to blow through this area!!

Cookerhiker
04-11-2008, 21:00
I enjoyed meeting both of you at the SoRuck. Good luck to Roots, and Gung Ho, it sounds like you're coping well.

gungho
04-11-2008, 22:29
I hope that are really battened down tonight. We have some bad weather fixing to blow through this area!!

I know< I am kind of concerned, because they are not staying near a shelter tonight.

wakapak
04-11-2008, 22:33
I know< I am kind of concerned, because they are not staying near a shelter tonight.

where was she plannin on stayin??

Trillium
04-11-2008, 23:30
I entered in the 1st day last night. I will be entering others over the next couple of days. I have to keep the suspense up:DI told Roots to give you my sincere thanks for the earplugs. In case she didn't pass them along, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!! They were VERY useful, both the second day when the young Thespian in the next tent over seemed to be running lines w/ his young lady friend and the third day in the shelter next to Always Fine. . . who later made Zeke apologize for saying he was snoring sometime after Neels Gap. If he thinks he doesn't snore, I have BIG news for him. Anyways, days 2 thru 4 and the beginning of day 5 will not be very suspenseful for me; I'm anxious to hear what the heck transpired on the afternoon of day 5 and on day 6.

gungho
04-11-2008, 23:32
where was she plannin on stayin??

When I talked to her earlier this evening they were at a campsite a few miles shy of muskrat shelter. I hope they decided to move on to the shelter. I will find out when she checks in tomorrow.

Trillium
04-11-2008, 23:33
where was she plannin on stayin??not the kind of question that will be answered on a timely basis. women like to keep their whereabouts somewhat indeterminate.

wakapak
04-11-2008, 23:34
When I talked to her earlier this evening they were at a campsite a few miles shy of muskrat shelter. I hope they decided to move on to the shelter. I will find out when she checks in tomorrow.

Cool...any idea who was with her? I hope the weather isn't that bad for them all tonite!!!

gungho
04-11-2008, 23:41
Trillium, I am glad you got your use out of the ear plugs. I have entered days 1,2 & 3. I have days 4 thru 9. I just need to find time to get them entered. I have to get up early for work, so hopefully I can get everything caught up by the end of this weekend. I'm sorry I know the suspense is killing you. It is all I can do to keep from staying up all night and reading the rest of them.

gungho
04-11-2008, 23:48
Cool...any idea who was with her? I hope the weather isn't that bad for them all tonite!!!

They got a late start today, so many of the "herd were not around when I was talking to her" She was only with little steps(aka Bobbi(Mary). The others that hit the trail around the same time was Colonel chaco, Bourbon, Mudslide W\gypsy,fussy mary,Easy doesit,Boone,aboman,Chipmunk and a few others I can't remember.

wakapak
04-11-2008, 23:50
They got a late start today, so many of the "herd were not around when I was talking to her" She was only with little steps(aka Bobbi(Mary). The others that hit the trail around the same time was Colonel chaco, Bourbon, Mudslide W\gypsy,fussy mary,Easy doesit,Boone,aboman,Chipmunk and a few others I can't remember.

cool! thanks for the update! Look forward to reading more of her journals too...makes me excited to get out there in may!!!

mountain squid
04-12-2008, 18:07
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/massbounce.gifGo Roots!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/massbounce.gifGo Roots Go!!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/massbounce.gifGo Roots Go!!! Go Roots Go!!!

It was great meeting everyone when you started. Hope you are still having fun.

Hey gungho, Have Fun in the Smoky's. Are you sure Roots will want to slow down for you?...she might be pushing 30s by then...:rolleyes:;):D

See you on the trail,
mt squid

gungho
04-12-2008, 20:28
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/massbounce.gifGo Roots!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/massbounce.gifGo Roots Go!!!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/massbounce.gifGo Roots Go!!! Go Roots Go!!!

It was great meeting everyone when you started. Hope you are still having fun.

Hey gungho, Have Fun in the Smoky's. Are you sure Roots will want to slow down for you?...she might be pushing 30s by then...:rolleyes:;):D

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Maybe by then she'll be able to keep up with me:DThey don't call me gungho for nothing:D

gungho
04-12-2008, 21:36
I just talked to Roots and they are now resting at The Haven's budget motel. They really had a bad night last night with all of the storms in the area.Little steps was not feeling well, so I called Ron to go and pick them up. They will stay put there and try and continue on monday.

Ron Haven
04-12-2008, 22:20
I just talked to Roots and they are now resting at The Haven's budget motel. They really had a bad night last night with all of the storms in the area.Little steps was not feeling well, so I called Ron to go and pick them up. They will stay put there and try and continue on monday.Gungho,just think.If you were along I would take you for a ride in the bus again some evening :D

gungho
04-12-2008, 22:31
Gungho,just think.If you were along I would take you for a ride in the bus again some evening :D

I know, I am jealous that i am missing out on my bus ride.:D Maybe next time. A big thanks for taking care of Roots for me:sun

Ron Haven
04-12-2008, 22:36
I know, I am jealous that i am missing out on my bus ride.:D Maybe next time. A big thanks for taking care of Roots for me:sunYou know the both of you are welcome but I got a new set of tars on the bus and jest chekt tha oil.Hit was full this evening if it don't leak out fore mornin.

Roots
04-13-2008, 10:10
Hey everyone!! We're at Ron's for some much needed re-coup after the last couple days. We've got some tender feet and back issues we're trying to tend to. It looks like we timed it just right with the weather. Nasty stuff is coming through. We'll be back out tomorrow. Thanks again, everyone for your encouragement. We definitely need it to get through the NC 'welcoming committee' of rough arse terrain. Gotta love it!!!!:)

Smile
04-13-2008, 13:10
You GO GIRLS! you're doing great and making good miles, glad you are enjoying the journey and taking a few days at Rons, great place to be! :)

Ron Haven
04-13-2008, 20:55
Hey everyone!! We're at Ron's for some much needed re-coup after the last couple days. We've got some tender feet and back issues we're trying to tend to. It looks like we timed it just right with the weather. Nasty stuff is coming through. We'll be back out tomorrow. Thanks again, everyone for your encouragement. We definitely need it to get through the NC 'welcoming committee' of rough arse terrain. Gotta love it!!!!:)Gungho,I hope everything turns out ok.I let Roots of today for a while at the outfitter & Wal-mart later on and I was told she had your no limit credit card.I snuck around to see if she was doing ye any damage but she already had stroll thru the up front line.:D

gungho
04-13-2008, 21:29
Gungho,I hope everything turns out ok.I let Roots of today for a while at the outfitter & Wal-mart later on and I was told she had your no limit credit card.I snuck around to see if she was doing ye any damage but she already had stroll thru the up front line.:D

Thanks for trying to look out for me. I figure she'll gey it one way or another:D

gungho
04-14-2008, 18:10
Roots and little steps are hoping to get back on the trail tomorrow. Hopefully they are rested and ready to go.

As always Ron has been a geat host.

Roots
04-15-2008, 08:46
We're heading out!! Talk to you guys soon!!:)

wakapak
04-15-2008, 15:23
We're heading out!! Talk to you guys soon!!:)

Enjoy it Roots!! Heard from chaco that ya'll are havin a blast!
Keep on livin the good life!! :D

gungho
04-15-2008, 20:38

I think they have been living it up the past day or two. Just heard from Roots a few hours ago and they were near the Wayah Bald shelter.

Trillium
04-15-2008, 21:33
I think that Roots could have a blast in the eye of a hurricane, she's just that kind of gal. extremely great attitude and sense of humor. just a LOT of fun to be around.

thanks for the updates Gungho.

keep up the great hiking Roots and lil steps!!!

wakapak
04-15-2008, 22:21
I think that Roots could have a blast in the eye of a hurricane, she's just that kind of gal. extremely great attitude and sense of humor. just a LOT of fun to be around.

thanks for the updates Gungho.

keep up the great hiking Roots and lil steps!!!

Fun is really what it's all about!! She sounds awesome, maybe i'll get to meet her once i'm out there!!

gungho
04-16-2008, 20:02
Talked to Roots around 3pm today and she already had 11 miles in. She was at the Wesser Bald Firetower. She was debating on whether to go stay at the shelter or going ahead and knocking out the 6 miles to NOC. She was going to rest and see how she felt. I Will definetly get to talk to her more tomorrow. She is doing great,can't wait to meet up with her at Stecoah GAp.

gungho
04-16-2008, 20:57
Just posted 2 more days worth of trail journals, which will bring you up to 4/11. I have 3 more days to enter hopefully I can find time later on tonight.

Trillium
04-16-2008, 23:13
Talked to Roots around 3pm today and she already had 11 miles in. She was at the Wesser Bald Firetower. She was debating on whether to go stay at the shelter or going ahead and knocking out the 6 miles to NOC. She was going to rest and see how she felt. I Will definetly get to talk to her more tomorrow. She is doing great,can't wait to meet up with her at Stecoah GAp.
WOW; she's up to where we hiked in Jan at SoRuck! GREAT hiking ROOTS!

and thanks to you Gungho for entering the journals, you're doing a great job transcribing. of course, you have an excellent journalist to transcribe for!

gungho
04-16-2008, 23:58
WOW; she's up to where we hiked in Jan at SoRuck! GREAT hiking ROOTS!

and thanks to you Gungho for entering the journals, you're doing a great job transcribing. of course, you have an excellent journalist to transcribe for!

I know, Roots has missed her calling. I always kid her about her 'CELEB' status.:D

peanuts
04-17-2008, 08:51
gungho glad to hear she is having a great time....

gungho
04-17-2008, 22:48
Talked to Roots this morning around 11am. She made really good time today. I guess she had visions of wesser burgers dancing in her head:D

She will be continuing on in the morning.

wakapak
04-17-2008, 23:04
Talked to Roots this morning around 11am. She made really good time today. I guess she had visions of wesser burgers dancing in her head:D

She will be continuing on in the morning.

i remember those burgers well! :D

Way to go Roots!!!! :banana :banana

gungho
04-19-2008, 00:41
Well, It's so long for the next 7 or so days. Finally, get to meet up with Roots and join in on all the fun. I will be leaving for Stecoah Gap in the morning and continue North into the smokies.:banana:banana:banana:banana

Roots
04-28-2008, 12:03
I am home. I'm not quite sure how to feel at this point. Gungho and I got to Newfound Gap Sat. around 11:30am and there were about 1000 people around. WHEW...not what I wanted to see at the time. It was sureal. I took the celebratory pic at the NC/TN line sign and it still didn't sink in. Still hasn't. I instantly missed the trail and the people. There are some awesome people on the trail this year and I will miss them deeply. I am hoping to see some of them at Trail days or on the trail. At least I have Massie Gap to Damascus hike to look forward to in a couple of weeks. My hike was so amazing. I learned so much about life and myself that I can't even begin to describe it. Now I just sit here wishing I were humping up and over the mtns. again. I am glad to be with my family, but the outside world is a little ugly to face after such a life changing trip. One day, I hope Gungho and I can thru hike but until then I'll just have to get my fix sectioning.

Thank you all for your support. I can't wait to see you at Trail days.:)

wakapak
04-28-2008, 12:30
I am home. I'm not quite sure how to feel at this point. Gungho and I got to Newfound Gap Sat. around 11:30am and there were about 1000 people around. WHEW...not what I wanted to see at the time. It was sureal. I took the celebratory pic at the NC/TN line sign and it still didn't sink in. Still hasn't. I instantly missed the trail and the people. There are some awesome people on the trail this year and I will miss them deeply. I am hoping to see some of them at Trail days or on the trail. At least I have Massie Gap to Damascus hike to look forward to in a couple of weeks. My hike was so amazing. I learned so much about life and myself that I can't even begin to describe it. Now I just sit here wishing I were humping up and over the mtns. again. I am glad to be with my family, but the outside world is a little ugly to face after such a life changing trip. One day, I hope Gungho and I can thru hike but until then I'll just have to get my fix sectioning.

Thank you all for your support. I can't wait to see you at Trail days.:)

Glad you had such a wonderful time out there Roots!! The trail truly is amazing!! :)

Two Speed
04-28-2008, 14:55
I am home. I'm not quite sure how to feel at this point. . . After returning home after my first "long" hike in the spring of 2003, 26 days, coupla hundred miles, I was totally depressed. Life in the "world" really didn't make sense any more. Kinda got acclimated after a while, but still not completely at home in "civilization." I don't consider myself hard core, hung around a couple of those folks, and I'm not in their class. Still haven't done nearly as much hiking as I'd like, but a boat load more than I did before '03.

My theory is if you go on any kind of extended hike and really get comfortable with it you never really go home again. You're just hanging around until you can cut out again.

Roots
04-28-2008, 18:10
Thanks Wakapak and Two Speed!!!

Two Speed, you are exactly right. I feel like I am just put here temporarily until my next voyage out. Great memories, good times, and amazing feelings of peace. Can't wait to get out there in a couple weeks.:)

wakapak
04-28-2008, 19:16
.......My theory is if you go on any kind of extended hike and really get comfortable with it you never really go home again. You're just hanging around until you can cut out again.

You stated that sooo well Two Speed....after thru-ing twice, i've never quite felt "at home" anywhere....probably part of the reason i'm headin out again in a few weeks for the next 4 or5 months. I especially find it's hard to feel at home in the world during times of big life transitions...for me, it's easiest to ride the transitions while or after living in the woods again and connecting to the essence of life...i guess it puts me more in touch with all that is out there, and just makes things make a little more sense again.

Roots, hope to meet ya at TD's! :)

Two Speed
04-28-2008, 22:03
Roots, one big thing you got going for ya is gungho. That boy is fun to hike with.

WakaJen, thank you for your kind words. I gotta say I'm more than a little envious, but Happy Trails!

Roots
04-30-2008, 16:34
If anyone is interested, I just finished labeling and downloading all of my pics on my trailjournal. My trip pics start with April 1st. I am entering journals daily. Hope you enjoy.:)