PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Help Planning...

AThopeful
04-01-2008, 22:13
Whew! I finally figured out how to put this up! I am a college student looking to thru hike...but I don't know anyone who knows much of anything! Needless to say, it can get very confusing trying to figure it out from books, so I was hoping you folks could help get me started?? I could use advice on just about everything, from packs to mail drops to navigating this crazy site!

Thanks, guys!
~Hannah~

Ashman
04-02-2008, 10:10
Welcome to the boards, start with the articles then use the search feature to find questions on specific topics you want to know more about.:welcome

splash1986
04-02-2008, 16:33
I'm graduating in a month and will be thru hiking this summer. The best advice I can give is this----- Don't ever, ever, ever give up the dream. I came up with the idea for my thru my sophomore year of college, and I can't tell you how many times people have tried to discourage me from going. Theres a lot of things people can say that will make you think twice about wanting to hike, but always remember why it is that you want to go, and that you aren't doing it for anyone but yourself, so go and hike, do what makes you happy!

splash1986
04-02-2008, 16:35
As far as information on the trail goes, your on the most helpful site Ive been able to find.

Pony
04-02-2008, 17:26
You will have tons of questions, use the search feature first and then start a thread if you cannot find what you are looking for. I too am pretty new to backpacking, but I have been glued to this site for about six months now, and you will be amazed at how much you will learn. I am starting my thru in 21 days. Don't be afraid to ask questions, folks on here are pretty helpful. Are you planning on hiking this summer?