PDA

View Full Version : how to measure milk n cereal

double j
04-01-2008, 22:17
wanting to try the nedo powder milk how does one measure it to taste right.....and cereal:banana

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-01-2008, 22:24
It comes with a little scoop in the tin - each scoop is added to 2 ozs of water. BTW, the 1+ Nedo (the stuff for babies over 12 months of age) rocks in cereal and is fortified with Vitamins and iron.

budforester
04-01-2008, 22:39
wanting to try the nedo powder milk how does one measure it to taste right.....and cereal:banana
At home, I measure 1/3 C Nido powder and make it up to 1 C with water. For camp, I put 1/3 C Nido in a zip- bag and add 1/2 C Raisin Bran. To prepare in camp, I add water until it "looks right".

take-a-knee
04-01-2008, 23:34
I just tried that stuff (nido) with some Kashi granola (I guess I'm a granola head now). It tastes just like that Mountain House granola for less than half the price, plus you can add whatever fruit you want.

snowhoe
04-01-2008, 23:35
I put my ceral in a freezer bag at home and put the powderd milk in and then when I am at camp in the morning I just add the water.

sarbar
04-02-2008, 00:52
1/3 cup dry milk per cup water is about right :) As for how much cereal? Well, fill your cereal bowl up at home then measure how much is in it ;) And there ya go!

double j
04-02-2008, 11:51
wow sounds great guys i cant wait to try it thanks alot .......

shoe
04-02-2008, 14:15
I do what snowhoe does. I use 3 tbsp of dry milk to 1/2 cup water. I really don't want too much of the excess milk to drink.

whitefoot_hp
04-02-2008, 16:29
just eyball it. i throw a heaping tablespoon into a freezer bag, add cereal, and add a little water when i get to camp. getting the proportions off doesnt seem to be that big a deal.

i ran out of milk at my hose, and this morning i used nido to eat a bowl of cereal. it practically tastes like real milk.

double j
04-02-2008, 19:34
oh man that is some good stuff i cocouldnt even tell it wast milk my wife is a a picky eater and she tried it...........i give it a thumbs up

Montego
04-02-2008, 20:56
So which woulk be better on the trail: Nido or Nico +1? Do they taste about the same?

Montego
04-02-2008, 20:57
*Nido + 1.

Old Goat
04-02-2008, 21:26
I put 3 tbsp of Nido powder and 1/2 box of Instant pudding into a quart Ziploc when preparing my meals. On the trail I add 1 cup cold water to the mix. I shake it well and let it sit while I eat the rest of my dinner. It makes a great desert and satisfies my sweet tooth. I also do this with the instant cheescake mix for a special treat. I've found 3 tbsp to be just about right to make one cup of milk.

sarbar
04-02-2008, 22:38
Also really good is using coconut cream powder. Full of fat, not overly sweet but it goes great with cereals :)

wakapak
04-02-2008, 22:40
Also really good is using coconut cream powder. Full of fat, not overly sweet but it goes great with cereals :)

do find that in regular grocery stores??

sarbar
04-02-2008, 22:42
do find that in regular grocery stores??

Sadly not often! In Asian grocery stores or online. But well worth getting. Out here we can get it in small 3 serving foil pouches.

wakapak
04-02-2008, 22:43
Sadly not often! In Asian grocery stores or online. But well worth getting. Out here we can get it in small 3 serving foil pouches.

i had a feeling that was the case!! :rolleyes:

Wonder
04-03-2008, 00:02
try vacuum sealing it....it wont crush in your bag!

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 00:29
I don't often see Nido in stores here. All the dry milk is non-fat. Any suggestions on where best to find Nido?

Sabar again, this weekend I had the spinach cheese potatos from your recipe, I added some cut up pre-cooked bacon and it was excellent. My fav recipe so far.

take-a-knee
04-03-2008, 00:33
I don't often see Nido in stores here. All the dry milk is non-fat. Any suggestions on where best to find Nido?

Sabar again, this weekend I had the spinach cheese potatos from your recipe, I added some cut up pre-cooked bacon and it was excellent. My fav recipe so far.

Walmart in the ethnic/mexican food section.

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 00:34
Thanks Take-a-knee. I'll check there.

borntobeoutdoors
04-08-2008, 01:32

The Super Wal-Marts carry it.

I dole mine into the small individual zip locks you can buy in the crafts section at Wal-mart then all I have to do is add one package to a cup of water. Works well for Powdered energy drinks as well.

Another trick if you want graduated measuring is to save come cardboard milk cartons and wash them. then pour 1/2 cup of water in and mark a line, then another half cup and another line, etc. The empty the container and let it dry. When you pack for your trip, just use it as a storage container for your cereal or other dry goods. Once it's empty and you're done with it, you can burn it.

Hawk

warraghiyagey
04-08-2008, 01:37
how to measure milk n cereal?

Simple. . . pretend you have a brain.:)

EMAN
04-08-2008, 08:31
I usually add some Instant Breakfast to the Nido cereal routine as well.