PDA

View Full Version : Kenneth Holmes - Ranger that died in the Whites

Miss Janet
01-28-2004, 08:04
I had a long conversation with a local section hiker that lives near Erwin. I learned from him some of the details of Kenneth Holmes death. I learned that he left a wife and 5 young children. I also learned that his mother and stepfather were class of 1999 At thruhikers. I do not have permission to publish their real names but I thought it would be ok to say what I think their trail names were when they hiked. Does anyone remember Spirit Walker and Bible Bill?? email me off list if you can help me

Their is a fund for the children if anyone is interested
Holmes Childrens Fund
care of Athol Savings Bank
388 Main Street
Athol, MA 01331

walkerat99
01-28-2004, 11:01
Miss Janet,

Yes, I remember Bible Bill and Faith Walker very well. In fact I usually get a letter or card from the every Christmas, however this Christmas I don't think I did. I will check...

I will email you off list but through this website....

Ed (Never Alone)AT99, 01

Papa Bear
01-28-2004, 11:17
There is a very good discussion thread on VFTT (Views from the Top) on this tragedy: Click here (http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=1522)

It contains 2 or 3 first hand accounts including one from his friend who talked with him via cell phone the night before, and another from a fellow ranger who retrieved his pack at the request of the SAR authorities.

There are lot's of lessons to learn here. I suggest reading this thread.

May he rest in Peace.
Pb

walkerat99
01-28-2004, 11:47
Miss Janet,

I tried to send you a private message but the message I got back was your private message box is full.. so I could not send you the email. I do not have your current email address and it is not listed in your profile so if you would like more information email me at my email address or send me yours. ok? Your website is also not working correctly so I could not contact you there either... if may be just my computer... but if you want or need more information email me...

Thank you for being such a friend to the hikers, and a wonderful "Trail Angel".

Sincerely,
Ed (Never Alone)AT99, 01

rumbler
01-28-2004, 17:07
Sheesh Louise. We got caught in what I considered really bad weather on White Cap, and had trouble finding the trail. Soaked to the bone, standing in 20 degree temperatures and moderately high winds unable to hike as we looked for a trail buried in snow had me sniffing at hypothermia, and it was an experience I do not wish to repeat. I cannot fathom, absolutely cannot fathom, being in weather SIXTY degrees below that, with winds double the speeds.

I feel for his family and friends. Apparently he had an idea of the temperatures he was going to face. He was one tough hombre for even venturing out.

Very sad.