PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear...

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 02:10
I'm looking to buy some good rain gear. I'm not looking for the biggest discount, etc.. I'm looking for something dependable, super light, breathable. Basically the best and the lightest :rolleyes: What are some options?

highway
04-02-2008, 03:36
I'm looking to buy some good rain gear. I'm not looking for the biggest discount, etc.. I'm looking for something dependable, super light, breathable. Basically the best and the lightest :rolleyes: What are some options?

The most widely used-Marmot Precip:
http://www.outdoorkids.com/detail.aspx?ID=1650&c=1

Patagonia's answer to it,and with some improvements; longer, too at 33-34" for XL:
http://www.patagonia.com/usa/product.go?style_color=84470

Above for those who do not need nor require a pack cover, and when it might become very cold, too. But for three season use and if you use a smallish pack, consider next:

How about a rain cape:
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=824&CFID=191730&CFTOKEN=10387336&mainproducttypeid=1

TACKLE
04-02-2008, 05:36
How about a GoLite umbrella. 9 ozs.,breathable,durable,and around 20 bucks.

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 10:42
Packa (http://thepacka.com/). Eleven ounces for rain jacket AND pack cover combined and the best pit zips in the industry.

Looks pretty nice. I like that you can use it as a pack cover or rainjacket, or both. It doesnt look that durable though. Anyone have any experience with it? If I do get this, sucks since I just spend like 25-30 (cant remember exactally) bucks on a pack cover that I've never even used yet. And threw the receipt away YESTERDAY :rolleyes:

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 10:50
I thought about the umbrella to save a few oz's but I just think it would be a pain in the butt carrying that thing while maneuvering through the trails.

Also, I'm familiar with the patagonia and precip but were just seeing if there were other options out there, I've never really researched rain gear too much. Actually, I'm just getting into buying actually backpacking clothing (shirts, shorts, raingear, etc.). I usually just wear cotton to be totally honest (if I have something besides cotton I will wear it but most of of stuff is). I'm trying to change my ways though :)

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 10:52
Also, and I cant tell from the pictures from the packa site but I assume that you have to take the jacket off to get inside of the pack? That might be one downer for me.....

Lyle
04-02-2008, 11:00
Though I haven't tried the high-priced Precip or Patagonia offerings, I have used Frogg Toggs and similar. They are the best, most breathable raingear I have used in over 30 years of backpacking. They also happen to be some of the cheapest.

No need for me to spend big-bucks. The only advantage of the Precip and Patagonia are possibly compressibility, possibly durability, and bragging rights. None of these things have been an issue for me.

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 11:22
Its funny that you mention frogg toggs because I have never seen them in person before and my father just picked up a pair to use for fishing. As soon as I seen them it immediately popped into my head that they could be great for backpacking. They seemed HIGHLY breathable and pretty darn light. Only drawback was they looked to tear easily? and they arent that compressible. I'm going to weigh his set tonight and see what they come in at. The set he bought were like 40 for the bottom & 50 for the top or something like that and the pants were on sale for $30. And they threw the top in there for him for free because they were "tired of looking at it" :)

Appalachian Tater
04-02-2008, 11:37
If you want something really breathable, look for openings, like pit zips, a Packa, an umbrella. Even the good breathable fabrics don't breathe enough for hiking.

SteveJ
04-02-2008, 11:39
I have an e-vent jacket - don't have it with me, so forget the manufacturer...best rain jacket I've ever had. Replaced my second goretex jacket with it (both of these would eventually wet out if out in the rain all day). Doesn't wet out, easy to care for (wash and steam iron to rejuvenate)... Only issue I've had with this one is the bottom section of the zipper has pulled open a couple of times recently when I had it zipped....picked it up on SAC a year or so ago.....

envirodiver
04-02-2008, 11:41
I like a poncho for the summer. Fairly light, eliminates the need for a pack cover, ventilated well so you don't sweat to death, can use as a shelter for stops or to sleep under.

ChinMusic
04-02-2008, 12:05
It's a bit pricey but my fave rain jacket is the Montbell Peak. http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=59&p_id=2328435

At 11 oz it is very light and breaths TONS better than the Marmot Precip I had used previous to that.

JAK
04-02-2008, 12:11
The most widely used-Marmot Precip:
http://www.outdoorkids.com/detail.aspx?ID=1650&c=1

Patagonia's answer to it,and with some improvements; longer, too at 33-34" for XL:
http://www.patagonia.com/usa/product.go?style_color=84470

Above for those who do not need nor require a pack cover, and when it might become very cold, too. But for three season use and if you use a smallish pack, consider next:

How about a rain cape:
http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=824&CFID=191730&CFTOKEN=10387336&mainproducttypeid=1That rain cape looks quite interesting. Their poncho/tarp looks good also, a bit wider than mine I think. I am thinking of converting my gortex bivy into some sort of rain cape that will still be functional as a bivy when used with my large blue foam pad. ???

Wags
04-02-2008, 12:36
don't sweat the pack cover return! ebay is your friend

Kara
04-02-2008, 12:39
I just bought a packa and I love it!! I'll let you know how I like it after I get to try it out in the rain and on the trail.... good pillow though.

Long feet
04-02-2008, 14:30
I just wanted to second the packa. A great piece of gear. With the large pit zips I had zero problems with the sil-nylon type i bought. I know that they can be made with event as well. When I have had to take off my pack in the rain I figured out ways to stay dry. I use a gossamer gear pack that has large pockets that I can get to with my packa still on. I just reach into my outside pack pockets and pull out my tarp. This just takes a second to hang, or to put over me. My last trip was in Northern California in July, so I thought I would not need my packa. So to set up shelter and to walk around I just used the tarp off of my Hennessy Hammock wrapped around me. Worked in a pinch. Anyway, I love my packa and have had no problems overheating. I use a large brimmed hat, so it leaves me a little bit of room to unzip the front for ventilation even in a thunderstorm.

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 16:43
Nice, I think I just made my choice since summer is arriving and from what I'm hearing it vents really well.

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 16:44
the montbell is looking very apealing also though. I just like the fact with the packa that there is no need for a pack cover. My pack cover now is pushing almost 6oz's alone.

Long feet
04-02-2008, 16:57
My opinion is that raingear is only necessary when there is a chance of hypothermia. A lot of summer hiking is so warm that you don't need much. I use a packa for hard cold rain, but I have used it in the summer as well. I like the comfort of having it especially in the mornings and evenings when it is cooler. When it's really hot I like the rain to cool down. I bought myself some spinnaker rain chaps as well. They only weight an once or so.

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 17:28
Anyone have any comments on the Go-Lite virga jacket?

Skidsteer
04-02-2008, 18:44
Looks pretty nice. I like that you can use it as a pack cover or rainjacket, or both. It doesnt look that durable though. Anyone have any experience with it? If I do get this, sucks since I just spend like 25-30 (cant remember exactally) bucks on a pack cover that I've never even used yet. And threw the receipt away YESTERDAY :rolleyes:

Mine seems plenty durable. It's made from sil-nylon, same as many tarps and tents.

Also, and I cant tell from the pictures from the packa site but I assume that you have to take the jacket off to get inside of the pack? That might be one downer for me.....

You can drop the pack without coming completely out of the Packa.

I just bought a packa and I love it!! I'll let you know how I like it after I get to try it out in the rain and on the trail.... good pillow though.

Packas make great pillows.

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 21:13
I also carry a Kelty pillow *go ahead, make fun* but I love it. If I could shave off the pack cover, my pillow and get rain gear out of it, that would be amazing.

any comments on the go-lite virga?

Wags
04-02-2008, 21:50
heheh i have a little inflatable pillow from walmart! so they can laugh at us together!

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 21:56
LOL awesome. I was going to get one of those nice down pillows for weight but my kelty is much more comfortable. The problem is, I've used a pillow since I started backpacking so now I can't go without one :)

SunnyWalker
04-02-2008, 23:20
88BlueGT: you can spend a lot of money on something like this and still end up wet from sweat. Remember, you are carrying a pack and many times it will be warm, real warm. For example, I hiked this last summer in GA on the AT for one week. It rained every day and I only used the pack cover. It was so warm the rain felt good and I dried off pretty quick. However, I bought a poncho at Campmoor and I personally recommend this unless it is winter.

Wags
04-02-2008, 23:30
here's the ultimate raingear:

http://www.umbrellahat.net/

take-a-knee
04-02-2008, 23:31
88BlueGT: you can spend a lot of money on something like this and still end up wet from sweat. Remember, you are carrying a pack and many times it will be warm, real warm. For example, I hiked this last summer in GA on the AT for one week. It rained every day and I only used the pack cover. It was so warm the rain felt good and I dried off pretty quick. However, I bought a poncho at Campmoor and I personally recommend this unless it is winter.
If it is warm enough for shorts, it is warm enough for poncho, IMO. I'll take my Precip if it is any cooler.

Wags
04-02-2008, 23:33
lol 88gt. you in this thread reminded me of my sleeping bag quest not too long ago. i found the bag i wanted, then found another that i really wanted, then found another that i liked, then found another that i like but, then found another that had this feature but not that one, etc. heheh :D glad i'm not alone

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 23:43
^^^ thats me to a T. I did that when buying my stove, my cookset, my sleeping bag, etc. I have everything I want so far except for my tent and "backpacking" clothes in general. I usually rock the cotton *bad idea, I know* and I'm trying to change my ways. I usually plan my hiking around the weather so I've never had the need for raingear but I'm not trying to get into longer distances were predicting the weather is not so simple. After, this thread I'll be asking a million and one questions about a tent :)

still noone with experience with the GL virga ?? seems like a pretty good jacket to me, 8oz. 80 bucks, looks good, etc. ????????

Wags
04-02-2008, 23:56
found some info about it for you:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/4131/index.html

seems that you have to get a size bigger than normal. no pit zips, so if you're a sweaty guy it may be an issue. seems to have pretty positive reviews though from what i've seen. as far as the tent goes, if you're looking for a 1 person, there's a few good posts in the gear forums about the msr hubba, but good luck! there's like a million solid tents out there! i'm in teh same dilemna about my sleeping pad. ole' blue just doesn't provide the same comforts as when i was 19 and boozed up :D

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 00:02
Thanks alot for the post. I think I sweat more than the average person so I guess I'm a "sweaty guy" lol. And actually I lied, I was having troubles with my sleeping back choice but I just heard so many good things about the Marmot Helium than I just got fed up of looking and bought that. definetely an excellent choice. And yes, brandy does help the eyes shut at night :) I could prob save weight by not bringing a sleeping bag & my pillow and just bring a pint of brandy, now thats thinking outside the box :D

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 00:08
The reviews seemed pretty positive. The thing is, I'm just looking for something "highly breathable" since I know I cant go wrong there. I have never worn REAL raingear so when someone says the it doesnt breathe for crap I cant really judge how that is. Someones "doesnt breathe for crap" might be fine with me. I guess I just have to buy it and try it. Now, decisions on the go-lite or packa. I really like those reed pants too :)

SunnyWalker
04-03-2008, 00:37
If you have a friend or relative in the military you might ask them to get you one of their raincoats/jackets that is camoflauged?? My son is in the USAF and he told me that (and I have never served in the military so help me here if this is wrong info) the jacket is breathable and waterproof. It might save some bucks but I don't know if I want to wear a camo jacket.

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 00:45
I have a cousin who was in the air force but no longer. I can see if he might have something. Just wondering how heavy their rain jacket is. The Army isnt too big on saving weight :)

capoken
04-03-2008, 01:02
Military gortex jackets are heavy. I use mine for winter only.

For the three season, you can't go wrong with frogg toggs. They never need to be refreshed. They will last a long while if you take good care of them. If you get a hole, duct tape works great to fix it. They are so breathable you don't miss the lack of zips. In any other WPB fabric, I need pit zips because the fabric is never beathable enough. You don't need a wind layer because the frogg togg is so breathable, it can be your wind, and rain layer. And the are so comfy, they can just be an extra shirt if your other stuff is wet.

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 01:28
thats sort of what i figured

hopefulhiker
04-03-2008, 09:10
I am surprised no one has mentioned Frog Toggs... A lot of Thru hikers use them.. They are probably one of the cheapest and lightest options.. They are not as durable as others but the low price and weight make up for that.

earlyriser26
04-03-2008, 10:00
My opinion is that raingear is only necessary when there is a chance of hypothermia. A lot of summer hiking is so warm that you don't need much. I use a packa for hard cold rain, but I have used it in the summer as well. I like the comfort of having it especially in the mornings and evenings when it is cooler. When it's really hot I like the rain to cool down. I bought myself some spinnaker rain chaps as well. They only weight an once or so.
I agree, only when it is in the 30's to 40's do I use rain gear. Then you get wet from the inside out but stay warm.

bulldog49
04-03-2008, 11:34
The only advantage of the Precip and Patagonia are possibly compressibility, possibly durability, ....

Nothing "possibly" about it. ;)

Lyle
04-03-2008, 11:43
Nothing "possibly" about it. ;)

I agree that they are more compressible and more durable. I guess I was just referring to my experience.

I carry my gear in a P2. Plenty of room, so the compressibility issue isn't an important issue for me. The entire set fits into a stuff sack slightly larger than a medium sized cantaloupe and goes in the mesh pocket. As far as durability, I've used one set for about 4 years now, been used fairly frequently by section hiker standards for both wind and rain protection. I've never worn the pants for hiking, just wind protection in camp. The jacket has stood up very well, no rips or tears.

My point was that for me, these things haven't been an issue. I am fairly easy on gear as a general rule, so YMMV.:)

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 17:10
Thanks alot guys, I think I have enough information to make my decision now. Now, making the decision is a hard part. Don't worry, I love making simple things complicated.... thats what I do best :)

Cedar Tree
04-03-2008, 18:21
The reviews seemed pretty positive. The thing is, I'm just looking for something "highly breathable" since I know I cant go wrong there. I have never worn REAL raingear so when someone says the it doesnt breathe for crap I cant really judge how that is. Someones "doesnt breathe for crap" might be fine with me. I guess I just have to buy it and try it. Now, decisions on the go-lite or packa. I really like those reed pants too :)

88BlueGT, PM or email me and I will send you a free Packa. Thanks for starting a thread where the Packa received such positive support.

And a special thanks to: Tracyam, Appalachian Tater, Kara, Long Feet, Skids, and Jigsaw. I really appreciate everyone's comments about the Packa.

Cedar Tree

Skidsteer
04-03-2008, 18:46
WooHoo! for 88BlueGT! Scored a free one.

Dadgummit Cedar Tree you're a stand up guy!

peanuts
04-03-2008, 18:52
thats some trail magic!!!

Lyle
04-03-2008, 19:04
That's commendable Cedar Tree. I've seen Ed Speer do similar - speaks volumes about a manufacturer.

88BlueGT - make sure you let us know your opinion once you try it out. Seems to be popular.

ChinMusic
04-03-2008, 19:51
88BlueGT, PM or email me and I will send you a free Packa. Thanks for starting a thread where the Packa received such positive support.

And a special thanks to: Tracyam, Appalachian Tater, Kara, Long Feet, Skids, and Jigsaw. I really appreciate everyone's comments about the Packa.

Cedar Tree
WOW, what a wonderful offer. I may have to try one of those out myself even though I love my Montbell Peak.

And no, I'm not sucking up of a freebie.......:D

ChinMusic
04-03-2008, 20:03
This may be a dumb question, but does the Packa come seam-taped, seam-sealed, or do you have to seam-seal it yourself.

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 20:44
Wow, I'm so excited right now is not even funny! Cedar Tree, that is a VERY generous offer and I would be pleased to take you up on it :)

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 21:11
What size do you guys think I should get? about 5'7"/5'8", 165-170lbs, medium build?

you think I should spring for the s/m since they run large ??????????

I'm super excited to get it and try it out, I know I'll love it :)

Skidsteer
04-03-2008, 21:13
Probably the s/m. I'm 6' 1" and the large fits great with lots of room.

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 21:15
sounds like the small might be best for me than...

Blissful
04-03-2008, 21:20
If you ask my son - carry an umbrella.

Really, you sweat when you wear any rain jacket while hiking. Just about any poncho in the campsite will do.

I carried a precip jacket.

powderbank
04-03-2008, 21:21
Ventilation is an excellent thought...plenty of zippers. When it comes to staying dry, I don't skimp....cheap is wet. Unless of couse you use a hefty bag, but then they don't breath very well. lol I prefer gore-tex to any other breathable fabric. In my experience all the other brands leak after a short time. True Gore holds up very well...my current Jacket is going on 4 hard years and still bone dry.

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 21:45
Well, I have found my jacket that I am getting :) Just wondering what size from guys who have previously owned the packa. Specs above....

Kara
04-03-2008, 21:48
I'm a female 5'6" at around the same weight. Small works great for me. Comes to just above my knees in the front and the sleeves can easily cover my hands if I don't cinch them.

Kara
04-03-2008, 21:53
Also... I tried to give my packa a whirl in the rain today, but by the time I got off work it was only misting. But I did wear it over my small backpack and did about a mile or so hike through the city and over the bridge in my teal packa. I'm sure people were wondering what in the world I was wearing as they drove by! No issues yet.

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 21:54
OK I'm definetly getting a small than, no doubt about it. Thanks for the help :)

ChinMusic
04-03-2008, 22:00
For the Packa wouldn't bigger be better than smaller? Wouldn't you get better air flow with an over-sized unit?

I'm also wondering if it might be better without full arm coverage since it doesn't breath.

Wags
04-03-2008, 22:25
i agree w/ chin. also, think about wearing layers under it if you need them. i'd rather err on the side of large :D

Wags
04-03-2008, 22:28
almost forgot. classy move cedar. that's the kind of stuff that makes me love this hobby

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 22:37
I agree with it being large, I do not want it to be skin tight. Going from what Kara said I should do just fine in the s/m since I'm only 5'7'' and 170lbs (and loosing weight in the process right now so I'm only going to get smaller..... hopefully lol). I'll find out what the return policy is like and than take it from there. I would like to try and small first but if it is too small than I'll see what I can do about it. I'm waiting to hear back from cedar tree now...

Skidsteer
04-03-2008, 23:45
At your height and weight you'd be swimming in a large.

Wags
04-03-2008, 23:52
i didn't mean a large size :D just that i'd shade on the side of getting a bit larger size rather than smaller.

Skidsteer
04-03-2008, 23:57
i didn't mean a large size :D just that i'd shade on the side of getting a bit larger size rather than smaller.

I think there are just two sizes; M/S and L.

I have a large and at 6'1" 215 lbs. it is plenty big on me.

88BlueGT
04-04-2008, 01:03
SMALL IT IS, lol.

Kara
04-04-2008, 09:11
I agree completely and am so glad that I'm practically swimming in mine. Plenty of room for layers, or even a down coat if needed.

Kara
04-04-2008, 09:12
BTW... mine is a small.

Pennsylvania Rose
04-04-2008, 10:16
I love my Packa! I've used it dayhiking a few times this winter, and for the first time backpacking this week. I was also worried about keeping me and pack dry while setting up camp. Turned out to be a non-issue. I just laid my tarp over my pack, then set it up first thing. I liked it so much, I'll probably get each of the teenagers one as funds allow. Right now they're using old raingear that I've "outgrown".

My youngest has Frogg Toggs. They've held up well, especially considering all the blowdowns and briars we went through.

Wags
04-04-2008, 10:23
ahhh was unaware it only came in 2 sizes!

Cedar Tree
04-04-2008, 18:38
ahhh was unaware it only came in 2 sizes!

The factory made packas are only available in 2 sizes: s/m and l/xl. However the difference between the 2 sizes is minimal. The packcover size for both is the same. The only real difference I can detect in the sizes is in sleeve length. The l/xl's have about 2 inch longer sleeves. The smalls are pretty big and will fit most folks unless you have very long arms. I am 6ft 190 lb and I can easily wear a small. As for seam sealing, currently you must seal them yourself if you want them sealed. I am hoping for some seamed taped Packas before Trail Days. Thanks again for everyone's positive comments.
Cedar Tree

ChinMusic
04-04-2008, 22:16
As for seam sealing, currently you must seal them yourself if you want them sealed. I am hoping for some seamed taped Packas before Trail Days. Thanks again for everyone's positive comments.
Cedar Tree
I would think that seam-taping would be a nice option for customers.

I know how gloppy a job it was to seam-seal my Lunar Solo. I wouldn't think that would be comfortable in a jacket.