PDA

View Full Version : Pinhoti thru - winter only?

Egads
04-02-2008, 06:36
I have heard the Pinhotti has more ticks per mile than any trail in the USA. It is not a good choice for late summer.

Egads

MOWGLI
04-02-2008, 06:44
Fall would be a fine time. Especially October.

Tractor
04-02-2008, 07:52
It's all relative. No "high" elevations and it does get mighty warm down there. I did most of it in cooler May but it rained most of the walk; however, it was a great hike! Don't know about the ticks there but do know the plateau of Savage Gulf is full of them in the summer so keep in mind if you head that way someday. Agree with Mowgli about perhaps October being a fine time to go.....

The Solemates
04-02-2008, 09:58
Is it just too miserable to be out on the Pinhoti in late summer/fall?

My answer would be yes, and I have done it.

Cuffs
04-02-2008, 10:14
Living here, I would say summers are out! I thur'd it in March and we had a heat wave! Every day was over 75*... Its a great trail! Need more info, send me a PM!

slowandlow
04-02-2008, 11:07
Mid-Late October would be a good time to start a pinhoti thru, no sooner though, definitely too hot.

Two Speed
04-02-2008, 12:11
I did the Alabama Pinhoti in December '06. Good weather, good views, not too many folks on the trail. Can't imagine hiking that far south in the summer. Roan or Grayson Highlands in the summer? Yeah, not too bad. Alabama? You won't catch me doing that.

max patch
04-02-2008, 15:58
I have heard the Pinhotti has more ticks per mile than any trail in the USA. It is not a good choice for late summer.

Egads

I can't believe that any place has more ticks than the northern part of the SNP. If the Pinhotti has more than that...

Cuffs
04-02-2008, 21:30
Ive been on the PT at all the different seasons and have yet (knock wood) to see a tick! Other parts of the state are a different matter... Oak Mtn State Park (just s. of B'ham) I did a 6 miler and picked the suckers off my socks every mile! Total'd 18 for the trip!

Same with Sipsey/Bankhead, they're prolific out there. But none whatsoever in Talladega Natl Forest/PT thru any time of year... odd...

take-a-knee
04-02-2008, 22:01
I did the Alabama Pinhoti in December '06. Good weather, good views, not too many folks on the trail. Can't imagine hiking that far south in the summer. Roan or Grayson Highlands in the summer? Yeah, not too bad. Alabama? You won't catch me doing that.

I trade my backpack for a canoe pack (and a fishing rod) in the summer down south, or head north.

Cuffs
04-02-2008, 22:08
T-a-K - thats why Im saving my pennies for a 'yak!

Tennessee Viking
04-02-2008, 22:55
I was just at the northern terminus along the S. Fork Jack River. It was quite infested with flys and nats.

It all depends on the rainfall really. If we have another drought it will be hard.

Everything from Alabama and over to Dalton is mostly low ridgetops.

I heard it will gets interesting after leaving Dalton and start getting close to the Cohuttas.

Two Speed
04-03-2008, 07:51
I was just at the northern terminus along the S. Fork Jack River. It was quite infested with flys and nats.

It all depends on the rainfall really. If we have another drought it will be hard.

Everything from Alabama and over to Dalton is mostly low ridgetops.

I heard it will gets interesting after leaving Dalton and start getting close to the Cohuttas.Doing the Georgia section?

The Solemates
04-03-2008, 11:16
I can't believe that any place has more ticks than the northern part of the SNP. If the Pinhotti has more than that...

you aint seen ticks til you come to the Ozarks in May!