PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hubba. The winner!

Rickosovitch
04-02-2008, 12:46
At last! I woke up yesterday morning to a dry sleeping bag! The MSR Hubba is a great 3-season solo tent! The temp got down to 18ºF, but it was noticeably warmer inside although it is a breezy tent. The breeziness and nearly the all-mesh inner tent probably account for why I awoke so nice and dry. There's so much headroom that, even though sleeping on an exped 9 downmat which is nearly 3" thick, you can sit up without a thought of brushing up against the roof. The sleeping area is quite narrow (26") and at first I was concerned that my elbows were brushing the sides as I got into my longjohns, but because the mesh stays so completely dry it's no problem. The vestibule is very spacious. Plenty of room for pack and poles. I always keep my boots inside the sleeping area of any tent. I can hike out minus a lot of equipment, but not shoeless.

I'm going to replace the lines that attach to the stakes. I'll use very lightweight line and tie prussic knots so I can readily adjust tension and to trim a bit of weight. Also, I'm replacing the pin type stakes with North Face V stakes because I find V stakes work better in more types of soils.

But I now have the 3-season solo tent I've been looking for. It weighs 3lbs, 2.5oz. It has plenty of length and headroom. A vestibule big enough for everything including cooking in a pouring rain. And, best of all, I can rest assured that I'll wake up to a dry interior.

I found a super low buy on this tent. $159 including shipping. But it's worth every penny of the $249 full retail price. Nice going MSR!

Mrs Baggins
04-02-2008, 13:14
At last! I woke up yesterday morning to a dry sleeping bag! The MSR Hubba is a great 3-season solo tent! The temp got down to 18ºF, but it was noticeably warmer inside although it is a breezy tent. The breeziness and nearly the all-mesh inner tent probably account for why I awoke so nice and dry. There's so much headroom that, even though sleeping on an exped 9 downmat which is nearly 3" thick, you can sit up without a thought of brushing up against the roof. The sleeping area is quite narrow (26") and at first I was concerned that my elbows were brushing the sides as I got into my longjohns, but because the mesh stays so completely dry it's no problem. The vestibule is very spacious. Plenty of room for pack and poles. I always keep my boots inside the sleeping area of any tent. I can hike out minus a lot of equipment, but not shoeless.

I'm going to replace the lines that attach to the stakes. I'll use very lightweight line and tie prussic knots so I can readily adjust tension and to trim a bit of weight. Also, I'm replacing the pin type stakes with North Face V stakes because I find V stakes work better in more types of soils.

But I now have the 3-season solo tent I've been looking for. It weighs 3lbs, 2.5oz. It has plenty of length and headroom. A vestibule big enough for everything including cooking in a pouring rain. And, best of all, I can rest assured that I'll wake up to a dry interior.

I found a super low buy on this tent. $159 including shipping. But it's worth every penny of the $249 full retail price. Nice going MSR!

Welcome into the light! :sun We got our Hubbas last year and wouldn't part with them for anything. My 6' 1" hubby can easily sit up inside of it to dress/undress and has never complained of lack of sleeping room. I'm 4' 10" and have a world of room inside. I keep my pack with me at my feet and can still stretch out. Our down bags always stay dry. And it's a kick to sleep in without the fly so you stargaze on clear nights but still be bug/crawly things free because of the bathtub bottom.

Dirtygaiters
04-02-2008, 16:51
I got a Hubba a couple years ago and used it as my main backpacking tent for a long time. I still think it's a fantastic double wall tent. Without a question it's the best one out there in terms of being "solo" and "freestanding" (though there are a few lighter options that are not freestanding), but I always had problems with the breeziness of the tent in cold weather and the lack of elbow room when laying down. I like to sleep on my side with one arm sort of extended outward and the Hubba always precluded this position. I no longer use a Hubba anymore, though, because I've been converted to tarp camping. Tarps are still breezy in cold weather so I'm thinking about getting one of the new Hubba HPs as a winter tent.

Dirtygaiters
04-02-2008, 21:30
Riiiiight....

elray
04-02-2008, 21:41
While at Mt Rogers Outfitters last year they suggested replacing the rain fly lines with shock cords to retain a nice tight fit no matter the temperature fluctuations and it works wonderfully. Sure speeds up the setup also, those guys really know their stuff! Thanks Jeff.

Almost There
04-02-2008, 23:28
Just sold my Hubba today, loved it, but opted for Seedhouse SL2, same weight, more room! That being said, if you don't mind the coziness, I slept in T-Storms and Snowstorms in mine without any problems!

sirbingo
04-03-2008, 10:33
Hey Rckosovich...Where did you get this tent for $159?

Thrasher
04-03-2008, 18:03
Hey Rckosovich...Where did you get this tent for $159?

Here (http://www.travelcountry.com/shop/tents/1-person/msr-hubba-tent-closeout.html) it is. Free shipping too at the moment.