PDA

View Full Version : Bland VA

chicote
04-02-2008, 12:56
Thinking about doing a two night trip.

On my thru I remember crossing over 77 a little creek then a climb into the wilderness. What I can't remember is if on that side of 77 (once you cross is via the bridge northbound on the AT) if there is suitable and safe parking a car. Anyone have some beta on this?

I'm picking this spot because it's close to Charlotte and I can make a easy weekend trip out of it.

— GG

Alligator
04-02-2008, 13:05
I parked my car in the parking area just a little ways north of the bridge. It was several years ago now, but I remember the parking area was down the road around the bend. I didn't have any problems there but I had a pickup at the time. I haven't heard of any problems in that area regarding parking safety.

earlyriser26
04-02-2008, 13:10
Hiked this a couple of years ago and as I remember it on 52 there was just a pull off, but there was space to park on 612 kiimberling creek. Neither spot looked great to leave a car.

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 13:12
come to damascus. safe parking, better hiking

Alligator
04-02-2008, 13:23
Hiked this a couple of years ago and as I remember it on 52 there was just a pull off, but there was space to park on 612 kiimberling creek. Neither spot looked great to leave a car.I consider a pulloff as somewhere I have to park sideways instead of pulling in. It was a little bigger than that but definitely not an improved lot.

chicote
04-08-2008, 07:18
Thanks guys. Might head out to Roanoke instead. Go visit the Tinker Cliffs etc.

John B
04-08-2008, 10:51
Rather than I-77, what about leaving a car at the Big Walker Motel in Bland? They might charge a daily fee, but it would be worth checking out.

X-LinkedHiker
04-08-2008, 11:28
I had a lot of fun at roanoke.

Hooch
04-08-2008, 11:30
come to damascus. safe parking, better hikingLW, where are the best places in Damascus to park and get shuttles? I'm guessing at MRO?

Yahtzee
04-08-2008, 11:31
Check out the front window of the IGA to see if the Zeigenfuss' are still aiding hikers in town. If they are, you may be able to leave you're car at their place. Ziggy is a thru and him and his wife are the salt of the earth.

Lilred
04-08-2008, 12:02
Rather than I-77, what about leaving a car at the Big Walker Motel in Bland? They might charge a daily fee, but it would be worth checking out.

They are not hiker friendly. I doubt they'd let you park there. Why in heaven's name would anyone want to do two days around Bland? The name of the town says it all, including the trail that surrounds it.

Roanoke is a much more better choice imho....:p

chicote
04-08-2008, 12:48
I had a great time on my Thru when I stopped in Bland. The people at the IGA were awesome! Also I figured it wouldn't be very crowded. I just want to get out into the woods and walk a bit.

hnryclay
04-08-2008, 17:44
Dismal Falls,is a nice little section, from Kimberling Creek to Pearisburg is a nice hike IMO.

Lilred
04-08-2008, 17:44
well, my experience at the IGA was quite different. I stopped there in the morning to resupply, I asked where the bathrooms were and was told there was no public restroom. I then asked if I could use the employee bathroom and was told by the manager, yes. I used it, thanked him, and left. Later that day, I was sitting in front of the store drinking a coke I had just bought there, and the owner comes out screaming and cussing at me, telling me his store was of a size that didn't require public restrooms and how dare I ask if I could use the employee bathroom and get the hell off his property. At the time of his barrage, I was talking on the phone. I can't tell you how shocked and caught off guard I was. This came out of left field. The guy was loony.

I know, ya'll are gonna come on here and psychoanalyze this, hearing just one side of the story and all. I must have done something to set this guy off. right? WRONG!! I'd never met or even seen him before this. Up till then I thought it was a pretty cool little town. Great restaurant in the little gas station/store. But this guy went ballistic on me. I can't remember when a complete stranger came up and yelled at me in public like that. I don't think it's ever happened before. This guy obviously had huge issues with hikers.

The folks at the motel weren't all that pleasant either.

Then again, it could always be me..... Guess I was way out of line by asking to use the emp. bathroom. Who knew???

A-Train
04-08-2008, 18:04
I stayed in Bland 2 nights and used it as a hub to slack pack, since my folks came to visit. If we hadn't had car access, this woulda been a dissapointing stop. I recommend future thru's skip this stop. One can easily make it from Atkins/Relax Inn to Trent's without a town stop. Bland is, as the name suggests, OK, but not really worth the stop. The hitching isn't always easy and you need to hitches to get to the motel/Dairy Queen. 2 parts to town that are spread out and don't offer much.

spunky
04-08-2008, 20:29
I just finished hiking the section from Atkins/Groseclose to Pearisburg. We left a vehicle (mine) at Bland at the parking area on Hwy 52. It was left there for 3 days due to sleet and freezing rain reducing the mileage one day.

As the subject heading indicates, I had no problems. While my vehicle is definitely not the most expensive, it is a 2004 foreign made small suv.

I can think of prettier sections to hike but if this is your "next section" to hike, I would go for it. We didn't need to go to the market but we did eat at Subway twice.

Yahtzee
04-08-2008, 20:43
Bland is a great stop. Grocery store. Little grill with a TV. Watched a Monday 18-hole playoff for the U.S. Open there. Pack out as many as you can carry and drink and head to the shelter .6 north. Next day, pack out as many as you can carry and drink from the store 1.1 before Dismal Falls. Next day, Pearisburg. Those a good days. Light on food, heavy on the liquids.

chicote
04-09-2008, 07:42
Lilred: I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I found the IGA store owners fantastic. Even one of the ladies who was working the deli gave us a ride back to the trail. We did use the bathroom across the street in the courthouse. This was in 2007 so maybe you were there a different time? I found no need to go to the Deli Queen. A bunch of us just sat at some tables in front of the the IGA and hung out for a bit eating before heading back to the trail. In fact it was one of our favorite re-supplies the whole trip.

Spunky: Thanks for the update on parking.