PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm De-Lurking

StoveStomper
01-28-2004, 11:16
Hi All!
For some reason I've not been posting here, don't know why, it's a great forum.

I go by the trail name of StoveStomper. I'm a section hiker of the AT and had the impression this forum was for hard core thru hikers only. :)

I mess around with homemade gear a bit. I like to tinker with homemade stoves and pot stands. I see Sgt Rock is a regular here. He's one of the true heros.

I'm an Engineer, 49, lightweight backpacker from the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. I mostly hike in N. Alabama, N. Georgia, N. Carolina, and Tennessee, but I have done a Rockies trip in CO this past summer

If you would like to look, I have a few of my homemade gear designs at this crappy web site. (www.datasync.com/~wksmith)

A few photos from my trips are here. (http://community.webshots.com/user/stovestomper)

Cheers,
StoveStomper

MDSHiker
01-28-2004, 11:52
Hey SS ! Glad to see you posting on WhiteBlaze !!

thyroid
01-28-2004, 13:19
Whoa, looks like an excellent site.. Thanks for posting.. I'm already loving the hiking pillow..

-thyroid
:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

Streamweaver
01-28-2004, 13:52
Howdy Stovestomper!! I thought that was you back there amongst the shadows! LOL Streamweaver

Rain Man
01-28-2004, 16:17
I'm a ... lightweight backpacker ...

It's a lie, it's a LIE, I tell you!!! LOL

Ask him about the "lightweight backpack" he had on Sunday before last when I met him in the Savage Gulf of southeast Tennessee. LOL

'Course, he had an excellent excuse, as I recall, which I'm too much of a gentleman to mention. :)

Truly, welcome and don't lurk, speak up, SS. :)

Rain Man

StoveStomper
01-28-2004, 17:37
It's a lie, it's a LIE, I tell you!!! LOL

Ask him about the "lightweight backpack" he had on Sunday before last when I met him in the Savage Gulf of southeast Tennessee. LOL

'Course, he had an excellent excuse, as I recall, which I'm too much of a gentleman to mention. :)

Truly, welcome and don't lurk, speak up, SS. :)

Rain Man

:D LOL
Yes Rain Man, while my backpack looked like a 75# monster, it actually was still only about 25# max. My excuse was I was backpacking with a lady friend and carrying some of her gear on a big looking external pack covered with a big loose fitting rain cover. Ha Ha.
I know the next thing you are gonna do is put up the picture so I'll beat you to it! (http://community.webshots.com/photo/112406649/112624426zuDOqf)
:p I can see this is gonna be a good forum!
Cheers,
StoveStomper

slowroller
01-29-2004, 00:34
Hello Stovestomper,

I noticed that some of your webshot trips are to the Sipsey Wilderness.I do a lot of hiking there year round, It is truly a wonderfull place.

I have been working on a small website about the Sipsey Wilderness (http://www.geocities.com/thesipseywalker/) mostly just to share my photo's with family and frinds, take a look if you like.

And by the way, I really like your home made gear.

Slowroller.....

attroll
01-29-2004, 01:21
Hey Slowroller the web site looks good. But there is one thing wrong with it. You don't have WhiteBlaze listed in your links.

StoveStomper
01-29-2004, 12:41
Hello Stovestomper,

I noticed that some of your webshot trips are to the Sipsey Wilderness.I do a lot of hiking there year round, It is truly a wonderfull place.

I have been working on a small website about the Sipsey Wilderness (http://www.geocities.com/thesipseywalker/) mostly just to share my photo's with family and frinds, take a look if you like.

And by the way, I really like your home made gear.

Slowroller.....
Hello Slowroller, nice to meet you.
VERY nice website! A lot of the places in your photos look very familiar!
The Sipsey is indeed a special place!

slowroller
01-29-2004, 18:12
Hey Slowroller the web site looks good. But there is one thing wrong with it. You don't have WhiteBlaze listed in your links. Sorry about that Atroll.... as much time as I spend on here you would think that I would have thought of that huh,,, well I took care of that right away....the whiteblaze link is now there.. :D

Uncle Wayne
02-02-2004, 07:14
Slowroller,

I enjoyed your web site and as Stovestomper mentioned, several of those places look familar. I have a photo album of the Quillen Area of the Sipsey Wilderness on Webshots.com.
Try this link to see if you recognize this area.

http://community.webshots.com/user/unclewayne_bama

slowroller
02-02-2004, 23:20
Hello, Uncle Wayne

I really enjoyed your Quillen Creek photo's, I have been wanting to get down in that area for a long time. A guy that goes by the Name Dayhiker is planing a trip in the Quillen Creek area In March, I'm really hoping I will get to go.

I just noticed that you live in Moulton, I go to Church in Moulton just right off 24 on county Rd 217... small world huh,,,, It's nice to meet some local folks with the same interest....If ya'll ever want some company on the trail give me a holler...

Slowroller.............

Uncle Wayne
02-03-2004, 02:16
Hello, Uncle Wayne

I really enjoyed your Quillen Creek photo's, I have been wanting to get down in that area for a long time. A guy that goes by the Name Dayhiker is planing a trip in the Quillen Creek area In March, I'm really hoping I will get to go.

I just noticed that you live in Moulton, I go to Church in Moulton just right off 24 on county Rd 217... small world huh,,,, It's nice to meet some local folks with the same interest....If ya'll ever want some company on the trail give me a holler...

Slowroller.............

Hi Slowroller,

Glad you enjoyed the photos. That's a beautiful section of the wilderness. You won't believe this but I live on County Road 217! 2 miles south of the 4 lane on the left. We signed up to go on the trip with dayhiker but it'll probably be a day hike, Saturday only for us. Maybe we'll meet then.
Take care,