PDA

View Full Version : Ray-Way Quilts?

Alex
04-02-2008, 15:21
Anybody here made one? I haven't seen much talk about these compared to the JRB quilts. I know most people frown upon synthetic, but they seem like a pretty good product. Quilts with the Alpine upgrade are rated at 28 degress, any body have experience with one? Got any weight specs, preferably for a long w/ alpine insulation option?

-Alex

jesse
04-02-2008, 15:39
I made the Alpine deluxe quilt. I am happy with it . Weighs 250z. Kind of big. I believe Ray went with synthetic to reduce cost, and complexity. I have slept comfortably in the teens. I also wear socks, long underwear, and a balaclava. This Jan. I slept in 9*. My feet got cold, I think I have fixed that problem with insulated booties. If I make another, I will probably leave the draft stopper, and gorget off. Its fairly easy to make. Again If I make another I will sew the 2 pieces of nylon together first then sew the insulation, rather than try to sew the three pieces together at the same time.

Alligator
04-02-2008, 15:42
I've been seriously considering making a quilt too. I was wondering about the extras myself on the ray-way, particularly the gorget. There's another thread on here where the guy has made some quilts and used a drawstring and snap to cinch the top. It looks lighter.

Alligator
04-02-2008, 15:47
Here's the thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32880&highlight=quilts)I was talking about. The pictures are real helpful.

jesse
04-02-2008, 15:56
correction: my alpine quilt and stuff sack weighs 32. My son's 40* quilt weighs 25 oz.

Alex
04-02-2008, 16:30
Is this 32oz for a long by any chance? I've got a 3lb bag right now, and trying to determine what kind of weight savings I might be looking at with making one of these quilts. Thanks for your input.

jesse
04-02-2008, 16:50
no. I am only 5.5. A long would add a few oz.

quasarr
04-02-2008, 17:05
My boyfriend and I use the 2 person quilt with Alpine upgrade. I recommend the draft stoppers, especially if you toss and turn a lot. We also have the "split zip" option, so the quilt zips in two and we each carry a piece. I have the smaller piece and it weighs 19 oz.

We have used the quilt on a couple cold (but windless) nights, I don't know the exact temperature but the mud on the ground was frozen in the morning. Every time I was cozy in the quilt wearing long johns, wool socks, and fleece balaclava. I would say the quilt is true to its 28 degree rating, for the ground to freeze the temp had to be in the 28 range.

Keep in mind we were sharing the quilt. I'm still undecided whether this is warmer or not. The benefit of sharing body heat might be negated because of the extra air space. When sharing the quilt I can't wrap it as tight around myself as if I were alone.

Doctari
04-02-2008, 18:27
My alpine upgrade RayWay is great. My first night under it got to 30 degrees, with a 5 - 10 MPH breeze. Several times that night I had to uncover to cool off. For more info on the making of a RayWay quilt go to my post at Hammock forums: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3609 & scroll down.

I will be getting another one BTW, I like it that much.

GlazeDog
04-02-2008, 18:46
There are a lot of Ray Way styled quilts in the Homemade Gear Forum. Check it out. Good luck. I just broke down and got a Nunatak Arc Edge quilt.

happy trails
GlazeDog

take-a-knee
04-02-2008, 22:10
I'm 5'8", my RayWay alpine weighs 36oz. It's only downside is bulk, don't think you will stuff it and winter clothing and 5days food in 3000ci.

Doctari
04-02-2008, 22:43
Forgot to mention that my RayWay quilt weighs 32 Oz.
I'm 5'7", "around" 200 Lbs, & the quilt fits great on the ground or in a hammock.

Alex
04-03-2008, 00:25
Being tall is really inconvenient when it comes to sleeping bags/quilts. They cost more and are heavier. It's a good thing chicks dig it.

quasarr
04-04-2008, 22:02
IIRC the long option on the Ray-Way quilts is only about $15 extra

squidlyman
04-04-2008, 23:23
I've sewn 3 of these. A 1P long, a 2P long, and a 2P long w/alpine option. With the 2P, we've been very happy with its warmth. We "survived" snow/sleet in the smokies with the 2P long, but it was a bit chilly... which inspired us to make one with the alpine option. With that, we were quite warm, if not downright (did I just use that word?) warm/hot during 20 degree nights with wind and sleet on Mt Laguna and Big Bear areas of the PCT. Our tent was a Henry Shires tarptent, so there was no "cheating" by getting extra heat from a closed-up shelter.

Both the 1P and the 2P are quite similar in their sewing plans... the only difference would be the split-zip. That, however, doesn't add too much complexity to the project. So... once you make one of these... you can do others pretty much in your sleep.

Only hint I add: Ray has started to NOT include extra fabric. For my 1st two, there was at least 1/2 to a full yard of extra fabric and batting left over. For my 3rd quilt, I wanted to make a wider quilt. Despite Ray's quote, something along the line of, "now who would ever wanna make a quilt that is that wide?" I wanted the extra girth since m'lady can't move around a bit w/o dragging the quilt with her (call it a selfish reason to make the quilt wider if you like!). So... I had to use a different cutting pattern than that Ray provided to avoid running out of fabric and batting. Not a big deal... just something to look out for.

Anybody here made one? I haven't seen much talk about these compared to the JRB quilts. I know most people frown upon synthetic, but they seem like a pretty good product. Quilts with the Alpine upgrade are rated at 28 degress, any body have experience with one? Got any weight specs, preferably for a long w/ alpine insulation option?

-Alex

GeorgeoftheHollar
05-04-2008, 21:34
Being tall is really inconvenient when it comes to sleeping bags/quilts. They cost more and are heavier. It's a good thing chicks dig it.

Don't know if you can still find one or not, but I am 6'5" and have wide shoulders, so finding a sleeping bag that fits is difficult. Most come to my sternum only :(. I bought an Exped Wallcreeper and LOVE it. It fits me, and it can be used as a quilt or bag or a jacket. The negative is that it weighs 34.5 oz, but since it is down and pertex, it stuffs down to the size of a nalgene bottle.

Farr Away
05-05-2008, 18:05
I've made one of these - love it. Made it with the gorget and draftstopper. Like both features and they really didn't add much complexity to the project.

The hardest part for me was trying to get an accurate measurement floor to floor of me lying on my side. I think I ended up bringing my measuring tape to work and having my hiking partner do the measurement. (Yes, the people we work with know we're a bit strange.)

Don't have the weight of it, but I'm 5'4" and took advantage of that for the weight and volume savings.