PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker: Weekend Hike Suggestions??

AGatto37
04-02-2008, 17:32
I live in the Lehigh Valley in PA and I'm trying to plan a 3 day hike with a few friends for early May. Any suggestions within a 2 hour drive from the Allentown, PA area?

bullseye
04-02-2008, 17:56
You're within what, 20 minutes of the AT? You have tons of local opportunities. If you want a nice section of the PA AT I'd head to either PenMar and hike to Pine Grove Furnace or start at Caledonia and hike to Boiling Springs. Both are reasonably easy 3 day trips with little in the way of ups and downs. Another good hike would be Port Clinton to Leheigh Gap or vice versa. The 1st two are more wooded (and very nice hiking) and the last has tons of views, but is a bit rockier.

AGatto37
04-04-2008, 19:33
You're within what, 20 minutes of the AT? You have tons of local opportunities. If you want a nice section of the PA AT I'd head to either PenMar and hike to Pine Grove Furnace or start at Caledonia and hike to Boiling Springs. Both are reasonably easy 3 day trips with little in the way of ups and downs. Another good hike would be Port Clinton to Leheigh Gap or vice versa. The 1st two are more wooded (and very nice hiking) and the last has tons of views, but is a bit rockier.
Bullseye - Thanks for the info. We were looking to camp as we go, do you know what the restrictions are on the sections you suggested? The more research I do the more I realize PA is pretty limiting for folks looking to pitch a tent as they go. Thanks again!

X-LinkedHiker
04-04-2008, 19:40
Hey AGatto, I just moved from Bethlehem up to the poconos. Hopefully I can help you. There are QUITE a few places in the area to go. Along the Appalachian Trail there is a couple spots and many state and national parks up here near me. Within an hour and a half drive you have Hickory Run State Park, Rickett's Glen (Huge), Nescopeck, and pretty much anywhere you can find off the white trail of the AT. If you need any more info just ask.