PDA

View Full Version : Backtrack or better way?

dragonfeet
04-02-2008, 20:51
Ok I leave for Dahlonega in the morning and the tril friday, finally. I was just wondering how to get to Springer mt. The only directions I can find take you to an acess point 2.5 mi north of springer. My unkle lives about 10 miles from amaloloa on 52. and I have done the hike in trail twice before so I was wanting to start at spring for my through. If nothing else I can allways back track.

tchiker
04-02-2008, 20:56
i've never driven to spinger but I've read that the road is ok coming from the west and really rough coming from the east/south....both are gravel of course. From the west , it is about 6.5 miles on that road.

Skidsteer
04-02-2008, 20:56
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26752&highlight=directions+springer

tchiker
04-02-2008, 20:57
i obviously meant "springer", not "swinger"....(maybe i was thinking of driving to paradise valley instead)....why can't you edit posts on here?

Lone Wolf
04-02-2008, 21:00
i obviously meant "springer", not "swinger"....(maybe i was thinking of driving to paradise valley instead)....why can't you edit posts on here?

cuz you gotta pay to play

Skidsteer

You can. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=donating_member)

bigmac_in

Pay the $10.00 and become a donating member and you can. :D

bigmac_in
04-02-2008, 21:05
Look here for good directions to the parking lot on Springer - .9 miles from the terminus.

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/directions.html

"
The shortest approach involves driving north of Springer to where the A.T. crosses USFS Road #42, then hiking south on the white-blazed A.T. one mile to the summit of Springer Mountain.
Directions: From GA Hwy. 52, 9.5 miles east of Amicalola Falls State Park or 8.5 miles west of Dahlonega, turn north at Grizzle's old store (closed, sign for store is damaged). Go 2.0 miles and turn right on USFS Road #28 (look for sign that points to Georgia Wildlife Management Area on left and sign to Jones Creek Road on right). After 2.2 miles, bear left at fork onto USFS Road #77 and go 5.1 miles. Take hard left onto USFS Road #42 and go 2.7 miles to A.T., passing a Benton MacKaye Trail crossing (diamond blazes) along the way. There is a large parking area along north side of road.
Alternate directions: From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road. Turn right and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads). Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area on north side of road.
NOTE: These Forest Service roads can be quite rough, and may be impassable by car or van in winter or very wet weather. Contact the Chattahoochee National Forest Toccoa Ranger District in Blue Ridge, Georgia (706) 632-3031 for current road conditions."

Summit
04-02-2008, 21:36
The ".9 miles from the terminus" is the one you want for sure! ;)

Blissful
04-02-2008, 22:02
Have a great hike.

dragonfeet
04-02-2008, 22:07
hey I appreciate the directions you guys have been alot of help in the last few months. Weather I make it all the way to maine or not who can say until you reach it. All I can say is that I now walk Into The Wild. Just kiddin good book, decent movie, dumb kid.

Blissful
04-02-2008, 22:16
Weather I make it all the way to maine or not who can say until you reach it.

That's for sure. :)

Take it one day at a time.

Tennessee Viking
04-02-2008, 22:32
Ok I leave for Dahlonega in the morning and the tril friday, finally. I was just wondering how to get to Springer mt. The only directions I can find take you to an acess point 2.5 mi north of springer. My unkle lives about 10 miles from amaloloa on 52. and I have done the hike in trail twice before so I was wanting to start at spring for my through. If nothing else I can allways back track.
From Dahlonega and Amicola head up GA 52 toward Elijay, turn east onto Big Creek Road. Follow that and it will turn into Doublehead Gap Road. As soon as you start driving up hill, USFS 42 will be on your right. Its about 6 or miles. Signing will show you the way. Take it slow. There is large gravel.

I also drove in from Suches and GA 60 going past the fish hatchery and up Hawk Mountain. Its a long drive winding drive.

The road to Three Forks is in some bad shape if you have low clearance.