PDA

View Full Version : Packing Backpack

sleeman13
04-02-2008, 23:15
I just recently purchased an Osprey Aether 60. I have no idea how to pack it though. The sleeping pad straps on the outside don't fit my pad (Therm-a-rest Ridgerest). Also, what is the best way to pack it (item wise, not organizing my heaviest, lightest). For example, should my sleeping bag go on the bottom of the pack or outside? Below is my general gear...

- Katahin Climashield 20* Sythetic Sleeping Bag
- Ridge Rest by Therm-a-rest
- MSR Whisperlight
- SteriPEN water purification system
- Water bladder
- Rain gear
- MSR Hubba
- First-aid Kit
- Food
- Fleece

88BlueGT
04-02-2008, 23:21
they sell like 4 foot straps at wal mart for like two bucks.... just a little fyi

Wags
04-02-2008, 23:27
i don't have any experience w/ osprey, but i thought they had a 2nd compartment in the bottom specifically for your sleeping bag. maybe i'm wrong. i'd put all the **** you're only going to use at camp in the bottom (bag/camp clothes/tent - in a compactor bag or trash bag. you don't want your bag to get wet at any and all costs - i usually just put my camp clothes in my sleeping bag, so they're there when i unpack it :D) and then put the stuff you may use more than once in the middle (food/bladder/assorted clothes), and leave the stuff you know you'll use multiple times or don't want to crush on top (snacks/steri/stove/assorted clothes/socks). you may need to just purchase some straps or make some to hold on your pad. or try to figure out a way to make the ones that came w/ the pack a bit longer...

if all else fails, see if any of the guys here live close to you and ask if you can meet w/ them. offer to buy a cheap lunch in exchange for their packing experience :D

other than that, i'm sure you'll figure it out by trial and error like my stubborn ass did hheheh

Wags
04-02-2008, 23:28
sorry, bag/camp clothes only in trash bag. tent shouldn't be in w/ it b/c of condensation. long day :D

gumball
04-03-2008, 05:24
- Katahin Climashield 20* Sythetic Sleeping Bag
- Ridge Rest by Therm-a-rest
- MSR Whisperlight
- SteriPEN water purification system
- Water bladder
- Rain gear
- MSR Hubba
- First-aid Kit
- Food
- Fleece

One way to go--
Sleeping bag in a garbage bag on the bottom.
Camp clothes, if you have them (I didn't see them on the list)
Whisperlight
Food
First Aid
Rain Gear
Water Bladder on top of gear
Tent strapped to outside of pack
Sleeping pad harnessed to top

I am trying to remember what my old Aether had in terms of straps.

Also seems like you are missing something from your pack...?

bigcranky
04-03-2008, 09:29
The Aether 60 has a single main compartment, with three outside pockets and a large lid pocket. You should strive to get most of your gear *inside* the pack.

Sleeping bag in a stuff sack at the bottom, sideways. A really large synthetic bag may not fit this way.

I like to put my clothing in a stuff sack and place it on top of the sleeping bag. Then my food bag, then the rest of my gear. Small useful stuff goes in the outside pockets -- water treatment, water bottles, snacks, rain cover, that sort of thing. Most things are in silnylon stuff sacks for organization.

When I carried a Ridge Rest sleeping pad, it was attached *vertically* to the outside front of the pack, using the compression system. You can see the pad attached here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=23589&c=531

That is an XL RidgeRest, 25 inches wide by 77 inches long. A big freaking pad. But it fits easily on the front of the Aether 60.

Hope this helps.

Whitey9457
04-03-2008, 09:50
I've always been taught to keep the heavy things lower in the back and closer to your back and the lighter things on top not sure if that's what you meant by how to pack it

Whitey9457
04-03-2008, 09:51
oh whoops i obviously misread your post the first time hahah