PDA

View Full Version : The economy - Is it affecting your hiking?

Ron Haven
04-02-2008, 23:40
Is the economy effecting your hike???:eek:

warraghiyagey
04-02-2008, 23:44
Nope.:):)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-02-2008, 23:44
I know of about a dozen people that decided not to hike this year because of how lousy the economy is. They feared the $$$ they had saved wouldn't be enough because of the rising prices and that they would have a really hard time finding a job after the hike.

warraghiyagey
04-02-2008, 23:46
I know of about a dozen people that decided not to hike this year because of how lousy the economy is. They feared the $$$ they had saved wouldn't be enough because of the rising prices and that they would have a really hard time finding a job after the hike.

That is a real bummer. Damn it.:(

shoe
04-02-2008, 23:50
I don't know yet. I am good for my first 30 days. My husband says that I can quit my job and continue on if I want, but I will have to do it on $100 a week until I get more north.

See you Sunday Ron.

warraghiyagey
04-02-2008, 23:51
Hey Mel! Long time!:):(:)

Wonder
04-03-2008, 00:05
YEah, I'm not hiking...and it's to expensive to go magic up my friends that are!!!

warraghiyagey
04-03-2008, 00:07
YEah, I'm not hiking...and it's to expensive to go magic up my friends that are!!!
Damn economy.:mad:

Bob S
04-03-2008, 00:20
Not stopping me from getting out and enjoying the outdoors.

All my equipment is paid for, my van is paid for, and I just increased my prices to my customers to offset the higher gas cost. Why not get out to enjoy life?

Sell some stuff on e-bay to make some extra money to offset the gas cost. We all have stuff we don’t use or need that some other person will want.

Cut back in other areas to have extra money. I would bet a lot of us have high speed internet and cable TV, that’s $100.00 a month right there.

If you really want to hike, you will find the money.

I have cabin fever and it’s going to get an injection of sunlight real soon to make it go away.

Ron Haven
04-03-2008, 01:18
I know of about a dozen people that decided not to hike this year because of how lousy the economy is. They feared the $$$ they had saved wouldn't be enough because of the rising prices and that they would have a really hard time finding a job after the hike.I have heard this many times as my hereo's pass going north.I have cut the edge off of every corner to help with the problem.God bless all who is going for it and you don't know how proud of all of you that I am.

Look forward to sneeking out some day into the future of your hike and going with you.maybe for just a few days but doing it,Ron:D

Two Speed
04-03-2008, 07:25
Is the economy effecting your hike???:eek:Hasn't changed my hiking plans, but they weren't all that ambitious this year, anyway.

gsingjane
04-03-2008, 07:33
I would say no. We traded in our full-size sedan for a Prius two years ago because I figured that gas, long-term, would go nowhere except up, and with the older car I *was* hesitating to drive to trailheads. Overall, once you have your gear, backpacking is one of the cheapest leisure time activities or ways to take a vacation, all you have to pay for is transportation to and from the hiking spot and food.

Jane in CT

jlb2012
04-03-2008, 07:48
actually I am hoping the economy will cause me to get an early retirement package so that I can go and hike - unfortunately it has not happened yet so I still have 453 more days until retirement

FFTorched
04-03-2008, 07:53
The Economy is impacting everybody on some level and it's sickening. Right now I've been researching cars and trying to figure out how to pay off my truck so I can trade it on a small sedan.

I can't believe I actually want to buy a car, I always swore myself a truck guy but I can't afford the gas in it. I can't say hey there's a long weekend coming up I'm gonna go backpacking because most of my paycheck would go to gas for my dodge just to go to the trail head.

Two Speed
04-03-2008, 07:56
So find a partner and split the gas bill.

Lilred
04-03-2008, 08:26
I'll be having a garage sale to fund my hike this year. The money I normally save had to go to bills. The rising prices of gas and food are making things tough, plus, I have two kids in college, OUCH! the amount of money I make on the garage sale will dictate how long I can stay out.

naturejunkie
04-03-2008, 08:43
I am definitely nervous about finding work after my hike, but I decided to go hiking anyway. :sun

hopefulhiker
04-03-2008, 08:55
I would love to hike every year, but I have to work this year. I am going to try to get out and do a little section this year.

Darwin again
04-03-2008, 09:01
This could crimp some of my plans:
Health insurance for self: $69 per month.
Health insurance for self plus one daughter: $79 per month.
Health insurance for self, daughter and recent newborn son: $259 per month.

That last number isn't a typo. And we're covered under a group plan.
Working people are getting killed out here between health care, food and gasoline, never mind the occasional, increasingly rare treat. But we're thankful for our health and living close to the Blue Ridge. :D

Our economic system is failing. Something's gotta give...

Tankerhoosen
04-03-2008, 09:01
Cut back in other areas to have extra money. I would bet a lot of us have high speed internet and cable TV, that’s $100.00 a month right there.

The cable companies are friggin crooks, I have been cutting back on stuff, got rid of the satellite radio, was going to cancel cable because, seriously there is barely anything on there to justify watching it. So I called the company, now I was paying $130 a month for internet and TV, I need to keep the internet for work, so I tell them I want to cancel the cable because money was getting tight. SO they tell me hold on.... she comes back on the line to tell me that she can get me cable +Internet for $65 for the next year..... crooks, worst part is there are no other cable companies around, so no competition unless you want to go to satellite tv.

Sly
04-03-2008, 09:14
.. she comes back on the line to tell me that she can get me cable +Internet for $65 for the next year..... crooks,

And you have a problem with that? :rolleyes:

sasquatch2014
04-03-2008, 09:28
I agree hiking is one of the cheaper things to do once you have your gear payed for. Heck its cheaper than living day to day. the other day had to fill the oil tank one last time for a total of $872!!! now while hiking when I am cold I just add a layer.

Food well on the trail there is little steak for me. Liptons are cheap and Ramen is even cheaper. Its all the sitting around home crap that the family wants to have in the house to eat that makes for those $200 grocery bills.

As far as a job well I sell Real Estate so right now with things the way they are I am about as close to unemployed as one can be and still claim to have a job. Heck I will most likely help a friend of mine who does pony rides and petting zoo's for kids birthdays. I can make some cash quick this way. Heck if it comes to that I have sold plasma before. I ain't proud I'll do what it takes.

I plan on getting out a bunch this year. Cheaper than at home.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-03-2008, 09:52
I'll be having a garage sale to fund my hike this year. The money I normally save had to go to bills. The rising prices of gas and food are making things tough, plus, I have two kids in college, OUCH! the amount of money I make on the garage sale will dictate how long I can stay out.This is what I love about Lilred - she has that rare ability to take lemons and make lemonade without sniveling. This woman has more grit than I can believe her tiny body can hold.

10-K
04-03-2008, 10:05
So far, so good over here. I own my own business and along with that comes a permanent low-level worry about the future no matter how good or bad the economy is - there's always the chance something out of my control could come along and upset the apple cart.

What I could really use is some tax relief.

warren doyle
04-03-2008, 10:44
The last time I checked, Little Debbie brownies were still $.25, a used thrift-store ski pole was still $1, and used New Balance trail shoes were still $3 at a thrift store. And I can still get a 30+ mpg vehicle for $300 at an auto auction..
Once again, it is primarily a matter of individual choice and comfort level.
Choosing to lead a life of 'practical poverty' gives one some stability from the variations in the general economy.
There is no need to be an indentured servant. And why would any animal, which we are as well, voluntarily walk into a cage?

jesse
04-03-2008, 11:06
The economy isn't that bad. The press is trying to make it out to be so the democrats will get elected. Besides, the economy has nothing to do with ones personal financial situation. Some people became rich during the Great Depression, some went broke during the boom of the 80's and 90's.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 11:09
ditch the cell phones, quit staying at every hostel and motel at every road crossing, quit paying for shuttles and slackpacking and you'll have plenty of $$ to hike

Carp
04-03-2008, 11:17
Not really hurting me either. That practical poverty thing really helps pad out the hard times. I've also got this aversion to going into debt that helps as well.

Not to terribly worried about picking up another job after I get back either. I'm a programmer and that sort of thing seems to be recession proof. If that fails, hey, I can always go back to being a moving man.

warraghiyagey
04-03-2008, 11:18
ditch the cell phones, quit staying at every hostel and motel at every road crossing, quit paying for shuttles and slackpacking and you'll have plenty of $$ to hike
Pretty much.

StarLyte
04-03-2008, 11:18
I agree with Warren & LW !

As with anything in life...if you REALLY want it, you can do it. It's not that hard.

I like your idea LilRed! I've done that many times! I'm an old pro at making extra cash out of nothing.

MAKE IT WORK :sun

Speer Carrier
04-03-2008, 12:02

It's not affecting my hike, but I can see where the cost of living today would have an effect on many.

When my wife and I got married in 1966 the cost of gas per week for our two cars represented about 4% of our gross yearly income. Our combined income the first year we were married was $13,500. Now we are both retired,and the cost of gas for our two vehicles still represents 4% of our gross yearly income. However, we both did well in the business world, and our yearly gross is about $120,000.

So, if one makes less than that, then gas has become very expensive as a percentage of income.

I believe housing costs have also gone up. When we bought our first house, for $20,000, our yearly income was equal to 75 % of that cost. Today, a comparable starter house in Atlanta costs about $150,000,so using the same percentage, one would have to earn $112,500 to be in the same position we were in.

I believe it is much more difficult to "make it" now than when I was coming up.

If you wish to hike, you'll have to make a lot more spending choices than I did. So, best of luck continuing to do what you want to do.

Mother Nature
04-03-2008, 12:05
Health insurance for self, daughter and recent newborn son: $259 per month.

Our economic system is failing. Something's gotta give...

Try health insurance for me: $ 525.00 a month premiums and additional $125.00 a month prescriptions (after meeting deductable).

That bargain price comes with a $2000.00 deductible, no preventive care, 6 doctor visits a year with $40.00 office co-pays (future visits cost me 100% until $2000. deductable met) and $30.00 prescription cost after meeting separate $250.00 prescription deductable.

We won't even add in my husband's separate insurance costs but they aren't much cheaper.

I have shopped around and with family medical history no other medical plan will cover me. I am grateful to have the coverage I do.

Pony
04-03-2008, 12:09
With gas prices on the rise, it seems like a good time to be walking. It would cost around $3 a day to drive as far as I will be walking.

JAK
04-03-2008, 12:11
It's a shame with all the unemployment that working people don't get more vacation time.

Sly
04-03-2008, 12:13
The economy isn't that bad. The press is trying to make it out to be so the democrats will get elected.

Oh really. Than why is the government trying to prop it up and bail people and companies out? :rolleyes:

jesse
04-03-2008, 12:19
Try health insurance for me: $ 525.00 a month premiums and additional $125.00 a month prescriptions (after meeting deductable).

That bargain price comes with a $2000.00 deductible, no preventive care, 6 doctor visits a year with $40.00 office co-pays (future visits cost me 100% until $2000. deductable met) and $30.00 prescription cost after meeting separate $250.00 prescription deductable.

We won't even add in my husband's separate insurance costs but they aren't much cheaper.

I have shopped around and with family medical history no other medical plan will cover me. I am grateful to have the coverage I do.

Has nothing to do with the economy. Your insurance cost are high because of your age, and the prescription drugs you take.

Oh really. Than why is the government trying to prop it up and bail people and companies out? :rolleyes:

They are trying to buy votes.

Appalachian Tater
04-03-2008, 12:21
When my wife and I got married in 1966 the cost of gas per week for our two cars represented about 4% of our gross yearly income. Our combined income the first year we were married was $13,500. Now we are both retired,and the cost of gas for our two vehicles still represents 4% of our gross yearly income. However, we both did well in the business world, and our yearly gross is about $120,000.
Fuel and energy costs are imbedded in everything you purchase, from food to a toothbrush. These costs are in anything made of plastic, or fertilized, or transported, or manufactured. Also, the conversion of food into fuel is causing inflation in food costs.

I believe housing costs have also gone up. When we bought our first house, for $20,000, our yearly income was equal to 75 % of that cost. Today, a comparable starter house in Atlanta costs about $150,000,so using the same percentage, one would have to earn $112,500 to be in the same position we were in.When I bought my apartment in the early 90s, it was approximately a year's income. Now, it would be at least five years' income to purchase.

I believe it is much more difficult to "make it" now than when I was coming up.And it's going to get harder as the population grows.

Tabasco
04-03-2008, 12:22
The economy isn't that bad. The press is trying to make it out to be so the democrats will get elected. Besides, the economy has nothing to do with ones personal financial situation. Some people became rich during the Great Depression, some went broke during the boom of the 80's and 90's.

I work in the construction industry supplying materials to major national retailers for new stores and new malls etc. There is nothing wrong with the economy right now. There is more new construction going on now than I have seen in many years.

If the press would stop sayin ghow bad it is, things would not get bad. It is a self fulfilling prophesy. Guy hears things are getting bad. he stops spending money. The retailer doesn't make a sale, and the downward spiral begins.

Appalachian Tater
04-03-2008, 12:35
I work in the construction industry supplying materials to major national retailers for new stores and new malls etc. There is nothing wrong with the economy right now. There is more new construction going on now than I have seen in many years.

If the press would stop sayin ghow bad it is, things would not get bad. It is a self fulfilling prophesy. Guy hears things are getting bad. he stops spending money. The retailer doesn't make a sale, and the downward spiral begins.

What about newly-issued permits for construction now vs. a year ago? Might it be that the construction going on now was planned and financed prior to the problems that are occurring? In past real estate cycles, construction went full steam ahead until it fell off a cliff. There were plenty of half-finished buildings in places like Texas after the last big oil boom.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-03-2008, 12:37
A gentle dino nudge - this thread is about how the economy is influencing people's hiking aspirations - not about how healthy the current of former economies have been.

Discussion of the health of the economy in general need to go to the non-AT forum or {dino shutters} the political forum.

Appalachian Tater
04-03-2008, 12:38
A gentle dino nudge - this thread is about how the economy is influencing people's hiking aspirations - not about how health the current of former economies have been.

Discussion of the health of the economy in general need to go to the non-AT forum or {dino shutters} the political forum.We miss you in the political forum!

Tractor
04-03-2008, 12:44
I doubt the state of the economy will change my base plan for a next section hike this year. All I gotta do is get from Tennessee to Port Clinton PA, walk a few weeks and get back home. Lots of options.

...and for eatin' money....anybody need any old BMW car parts??????????

Sly
04-03-2008, 12:49
They are trying to buy votes.

What about the bipartisan stimulus package?

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 12:51
here we go! politics in the gen. hiking forum :banana

Sly
04-03-2008, 12:56
here we go! politics in the gen. hiking forum :banana

Yeah, from time to time politics is part of the hiking scene, why people cringe is beyond me. Nobody forces anyone to click on thread.

Alligator
04-03-2008, 13:01
Yeah, from time to time politics is part of the hiking scene, why people cringe is beyond me. Nobody forces anyone to click on thread.Let's not blow it up anymore and instead keep it where it's supposed to be. Discussing politics here only further demonstrates lack of self-control on the issue.

jesse
04-03-2008, 13:02
i'm going to stop before i get my toes bit.

Point is hike if you have the money, time, desire. Dosen't matter if your neighbor lost their job.

Darwin again
04-03-2008, 13:16

The corporate mantra of growth, growth, growth is the philosophy of the cancer cell. (To paraphrase E. Abbey.)

That paradigm is coming to an end. {Commercial construction is no indicator of a strong economy, but merely a side-effect of the momentum of an unfettered banking system. There's all kinds of commercial construction going on because localities subsidize it, thinking it's going to stimulate "growth" and spending, thereby generating more revenue. Like with the housing boom, everybody along the line makes money and the consumer (read: taxpayer) is left holding the bag. Typical corporate socialization of loss and privatization of profit. Check out Jim Kunstler and the various peak oil sites for more on this. The optimistic next best way is a road that leads away from strip malls and the higher costs associated with everything that requires (formerly cheap) fuels to produce, transport. process, fertilize and store. I saw all that new housing going up out of nowhere during the boom and I asked myself who was going to pay for THIS? I ask myself the same question about all this commercial construction. Who's going to buy all the crap these junk stores intend on selling?}

Time to get real. Sorry for the OT, FD.:rolleyes:

My hiking is curtailed and we don't live large around here. Family of four on one income. We even harvest rainwater. What I see happening around me is painful to watch.

Darwin again
04-03-2008, 13:16

Point is hike if you have the money, time, desire. Dosen't matter if your neighbor lost their job.

Whe your neighbor loses his job, it's a recession, when you lose your job, it's a depression. :rolleyes:

Summit
04-03-2008, 13:21
I admit that the price of gas has a direct influence on my leisure time activities. Living about 4-5 1/2 hours from prime AT hiking, years ago I didn't even factor in the cost of gas . . . I just went . . . and for about $25 round trip. Now that same round trip is close to $100 so it is certainly significant.

But I'm headed to Shining Rock Wilderness tomorrow for 3 days of hiking, and then in two weeks will be doing the Foothills Trail for a week. I am planning to hike from Sam's Gap to 19E on the AT in October. I also may squeeze in a few other 3-day hikes during 2008.

So I'm thankful that I have the means to do these itineraries without breaking the bank! And yes life is all about priorities and we all find a way to do the items at the top of the list, one way or the other. The problem is we often betray even ourselves by what we say and what actually is at the top of our priority list. ;)

tina.anderson
04-03-2008, 13:37
I think it's had an effect on every aspect of our lives, including hiking. Unfortunately leisure activities have to suffer because of the economy more than anything else. It becomes a real problem when you have trouble paying the electric bills and buying food, which thankfully we aren't at yet, but who knows with these gas prices and lost jobs around the nation.

jesse
04-03-2008, 13:53
........ lost jobs around the nation.

Unemplyment is below 5%. There ain't no soup lines out there.

Sly
04-03-2008, 14:24
There ain't no soup lines out there.

BS there ain't. here's some in your neighborhood...

http://4homeless.hypermart.net/shelters.html#georgia

Alligator
04-03-2008, 14:37
Whoever is moving this thread around dumping it into the Ride Board was not funny!

OK, I did get a chuckle out of it;).

jesse
04-03-2008, 14:37
Those shelters have nothing to do with the economy. They are there no matter where we are in the economic cycle.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 14:39
Those shelters have nothing to do with the economy. They are there no matter where we are in the economic cycle.

...because there will always be those looking for a handout

jesse
04-03-2008, 14:40
"brother can you spare me a dime"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-03-2008, 14:45
OK fellows - there is a thread with all the off-topic comments about the economy here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35264). Use it to continue the discussion of the economy. This thread is about funding for hiking.

Bulldawg
04-03-2008, 14:48
What about newly-issued permits for construction now vs. a year ago? Might it be that the construction going on now was planned and financed prior to the problems that are occurring? In past real estate cycles, construction went full steam ahead until it fell off a cliff. There were plenty of half-finished buildings in places like Texas after the last big oil boom.

I hear that from my construction friends that construction is actually in pretty decent shape due to the low costs of lumber, etc. Lumber for whatever reason is at extremely low prices. I just 3 hours ago saw at Lowes where stud length 2x4s are half of what they were when I built my house almost 5 years ago. Sheetrock is not quite half.

I agree with the folks on here saying it is somewhat media induced. Yes, money is tight because of fuel/food prices, but at my house we have everything we need and still find time to hike most every weekend.

I will welcome the government "stimulus" check when it is deposited next month, but I do not think it is anything other than an attempt to buy votes!

Lilred
04-03-2008, 14:51
This is what I love about Lilred - she has that rare ability to take lemons and make lemonade without sniveling. This woman has more grit than I can believe her tiny body can hold.

Dino must need new glasses if she thinks this body is tiny.......:eek:

I heard on the news just the other day that if the gov't hadn't bailed out Stearns, we would have spiralled into a depression, it was that close. THAT is what is not being reported by the news media. Seems they outta get out and hike ..... (had to keep it hiking related....:o)

Bulldawg
04-03-2008, 14:52
Opps sorry Dino...........

We still hike, but have to keep it close to home. Off work today and getting ready for some hiking tomorrow!!

JAK
04-03-2008, 14:54

Point is hike if you have the money, time, desire. Dosen't matter if your neighbor lost their job.Sometimes it can be an option during bad times also. Strike while the irons hot. Hike when its not.

JAK
04-03-2008, 14:58
I meant that last post in the spirit of frugal hiking.
Sometimes we have the money but not the time.
Sometimes we have the time but not the money.

Hiking can be one of those things to do when you have the time but not the money.
Keep things frugal. Keep things flexible. Keep things simple. Life is good.

Darwin again
04-03-2008, 15:48
Unemplyment is below 5%. There ain't no soup lines out there.

And our economy is 70 percent service industry jobs.
Want fries with that?

Darwin again
04-03-2008, 15:50
OK fellows - there is a thread with all the off-topic comments about the economy here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35264). Use it to continue the discussion of the economy. This thread is about funding for hiking.

Tried that.
I understand I have to pay to use that thread.
Is that correct?
Kind of ironic that I have to pay to participate in a thread on the economy.:rolleyes:

Sly
04-03-2008, 15:52
And our economy is 70 percent service industry jobs.
Want fries with that?

Yeah supersize it! :D

Darwin again
04-03-2008, 15:55
I noticed the guns in parks thread has mysteriously disappeared, too.
Also into the paid area, I'd guess.

Keeps out the riff-raff, I suppose.:cool:
The irony stuns.

Sly
04-03-2008, 15:57

The irony stuns.

Took over 300 posts to catch that.

Edit: My apologies. It's still in general. Good.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 15:57
Tried that.
I understand I have to pay to use that thread.
Is that correct?
Kind of ironic that I have to pay to participate in a thread on the economy.:rolleyes:

no. it's in non-at forum. you have access

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 15:58

The irony stuns.

no. it's still in this forum

Pennsylvania Rose
04-03-2008, 16:23
Actually, with my husband's recent job promotions, even though I was axed by staff cuts at the end of last school year, we're much better off than we were 5 years ago. We were both late starters in our careers, and spent years raising kids while in college, so stretching every penny has become a habit. We still live pretty frugally and have been cutting back a little to offset the rise in gas and grocery costs. While we haven't absolutely needed me to return to work, I just finished a stint as a long term substitute teacher. It financed me and the kids on our spring break trip, and will let us get out over the summer. I'm looking at selling some stuff on e-bay (I've never made more than $20 having a yard sale), and some other ventures to earn gas money so hiking won't stress our budget. Actually, my biggest expense for hiking is replacing shoes and other gear that the kids seem to constantly outgrow.

Bob S
04-03-2008, 16:28
Money for hiking is not that hard to find, If you are going to through hike turn off the cable and internet service for 3 or 4 months. That alone will save you $400.00 or better yet dump cable all year and have an a large pile of extra money.

Have a cell phone, if so (and we all have them) get rid of your home phone and go with the cell as your only phone.

Build craft items and then sell them someplace.

Get a new better paying or extra job to have more money.

Get dialup internet, it cost $100.00 a year for it.

Sell old item you have you don’t use any more.

Have old VHS tapes that you don’t watch any more because you now love the DVD format? Sell them to a vendor at a flee market so he can sell them. I did this, I had over 100 old movies that I never watched any more. I sold them for $1.00 each as a package deal. I got $125.00 to play with for junk I never use any more. I don’t even have a VHS machine any more.

Get into MLM for extra money.

Do some or all of this to have money for hiking. But quit bellyaching about the price of gas (you can’t change it anyhow) and go live your life and have fun.

Quit telling all of us how tough the world is treating you as it’s doing the same thing to everyone, and most don’t want to here it.

Action fixes it every time it’s tried. Get out and fix it.

Or you could sit in front of your computer and complain all day and be miserable because the big bad world is tough on you. :mad:

tlbj6142
04-03-2008, 16:33
It's a shame with all the unemployment that working people don't get more vacation time.If they had it, they wouldn't take it. Most Americans do not take vacations, or at least don't know how to take inexpensive vacations.

We get 4 weeks (20 days) per year (plus 10 holidays), you are only allowed to have 7 weeks total (from carryover). I'd say 60-70% of the employees are at the 7 week cap at the end of each year. Sad, very sad.

JAK
04-03-2008, 16:33
Nice post Penn Rose.
Great suggestions Bob S.

Another idea to save money is to practice some of the things that you might do on a frugal hike, like avoiding fast food and movies etc. If you live near some place you can day hike without spending too much on gas that can be a very cheap way to spend a Saturday or weekend. The trip to St.Martin's is getting expensive, but there are a couple of closer parks nearby that aren't too bad.

Also looking to combine biking with dayhiking to cut down on gas.

Old Hillwalker
04-03-2008, 16:41
Between the two trail sections I maintain, and my duties as AT Corridor Monitor Coordinator for the 73 miles of AT between Woodstock, VT and North Woodstock, NH, I put at least three thousand miles on my truck every year. The tax deduction for volunteer use mileage is currently 14 cents a mile, if you itemize. Nowadays, that does'nt even pay for the oil much less gasoline.

Now with monitoring and maintaining season soon beginning I am anticipating cutting back on my efforts. I took two trips to VT two weeks ago to check on sap line violations in the corridor and spent $45 in gas. I am responsible for about 165 miles of boundary in 20 corridor monitor sections. One of my monitors comes up from Virginia to work on her corridor section, and many from Massachusetts. I wonder how long they will be able to keep it up?

Living on pensions as I do makes the current rise in cost of everything a bit puckery.

Sly
04-03-2008, 17:06
Thanks for the sobering reminder it's not just about whether we'll be able to hike the trail but whether people will be able maintain it. Obviously the 1st is optional but not the second and no one should be expected to take a second job or sell things on Ebay just to take care of the trail.

Between the two trail sections I maintain, and my duties as AT Corridor Monitor Coordinator for the 73 miles of AT between Woodstock, VT and North Woodstock, NH, I put at least three thousand miles on my truck every year. The tax deduction for volunteer use mileage is currently 14 cents a mile, if you itemize. Nowadays, that does'nt even pay for the oil much less gasoline.

Now with monitoring and maintaining season soon beginning I am anticipating cutting back on my efforts. I took two trips to VT two weeks ago to check on sap line violations in the corridor and spent $45 in gas. I am responsible for about 165 miles of boundary in 20 corridor monitor sections. One of my monitors comes up from Virginia to work on her corridor section, and many from Massachusetts. I wonder how long they will be able to keep it up?

Living on pensions as I do makes the current rise in cost of everything a bit puckery.

Wolf - 23000
04-03-2008, 17:23
No the economy is not affecting me going hiking. True be said, I would love to get layed off for six months to go hiking again but I don't see it happening. We are hiring new people every day.

Wolf

hnryclay
04-03-2008, 18:09
The economy is not affecting my backpacking trips, but I live close to the AT, and lots of other trails. I still will take two non hiking related vacations this year, and probably at least one week of hiking in August. Along with several 3-4 day hiking trips. On a household income of less the $100,000. You can get out if you want, maybe not to Yosemite for a month, but easily to the AT for a week.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-03-2008, 18:27
I've missed two trail maintenance trips this year indirectly due to the economy... one was canceled because half the crew couldn't afford to come. Another was canceled because the funds to pay for materials to replace a bridge were cut from the USFS budget. Neither was for the AT.

A friend from the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club said they are starting to see people dropping off the maintaining crews due to the gas prices. They maintain all of the trails in the GSMNP - including the AT from Davenport Gap to Wesser.

Bob S
04-03-2008, 19:59
For all of you that like to enjoy a quiet time on the trail it will be good for you if more people buy into the idea that they can’t hike because it cost too much. The will stay home and those that have made hiking a priority will be out hiking a less-traveled trail.

I have seen concerns about what Redford’s movie will do to the trail. This will counter some of that.

And you tree-huggers will be happy as less people means less degrading of the trail.

Everyone’s happy, other then the poor sap that can’t figure out how to make a few extra bucks to buy some gasoline so he or she can hike.…:(

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 20:43
I've missed two trail maintenance trips this year indirectly due to the economy... one was canceled because half the crew couldn't afford to come. Another was canceled because the funds to pay for materials to replace a bridge were cut from the USFS budget. Neither was for the AT.

A friend from the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club said they are starting to see people dropping off the maintaining crews due to the gas prices. They maintain all of the trails in the GSMNP - including the AT from Davenport Gap to Wesser.

The LT don't do much maintaining. AT clubs should take note

hootyhoo
04-03-2008, 20:47
:bananaBut lack of money is. :banana:banana:banana

Tinker
04-03-2008, 20:49
It hasn't. But it will soon. Instead of blowing a couple of tanks of gas to do a few days of hiking in NY or NJ (continuing my section hiking south of New England), I'll probably do my hiking on the North-South Trail in Rhode Island. At least I know I can climb the hills! :D

River Runner
04-03-2008, 23:56
The economy isn't affecting my hiking, but having enough time to get away sure is.

tx.katie.finch
04-04-2008, 13:11
We've been saving for the last 9 months for this hike. We have to drive a total of 3200 miles (round trip) to get there. With gas prices projected to be $3.50/gal, that's approximately $625 in gas with a car that gets 18mpg. Sad thing is... this is still cheaper than flying for 2 people. We're planning on being out for a total of 61 days and spent $450 on food for mail drops.
Even though that's a grand before we even step foot, mail the drops, stay at a hostel/motel and eat at a restaurant, it's still cheaper than spending 2 months at home, buying groceries, eating out occasionally and watching the occasional movie. Hiking improves my personal finances... I save money by being out. But! I don't make money while I'm out either. (Unless you count the economic stimulus check... that basically makes this a free trip... $1200 to play!)

hikermiker
04-05-2008, 17:39
Several years ago I got laid off. For four months I went running or hiking every day. Other than drinking cheapo beer it was the best 4 months of my life.

Then I went back to work. Now if I could get laid off again.......

boarstone
04-05-2008, 19:52
I live in Vacation Land...Maine...in the middle of the "!00 mile wilderness" w/Kadahdin Iron Works/Jo-Mary Multiple Use Forest as my back yard to hunt, camp fish hike etc. to my heats content. A 10-30mile ride to trail head, a good fishing spot or a great camp site, terrific fiddlehead country! Even my vehicle stays in the yard come Friday afternoon. If I'm thrifty I can make my gas last 2 weeks on a full tank. I broke my eye glasses this week, it's a 40mi drive to get new ones, one way. I'm going to use reading glasses for awhile from the local Rx store. I'm starting back to school for a new job in the health care field... I hope to be able to hike/camp/fish and all that goes w/it this summer and help you hikers when needed as you come thru here. Up here we're in recession/depression all the time, we're use to it,,,we know how to pinch and "get by"... I compost, grow a small garden.. this year it's going to be bigger. There is only 2 in the household, no morgage but the oil bill is thru the roof...save all summer to spend all winter..the cost of supplies just to do the above outdoorsy stuff is rising..we probably still will be in the outdoors, it's all we can do close to home.

Heater
04-05-2008, 20:06
With gas prices escalating as they have, non-stop, for the past years... I have been seriously thinking of getting a Civic Hybrid. So, yeah... the economy has affected my plans.

That and worries about the job situation when I get back concern me.

woodsy
04-05-2008, 20:58
boarstone: I live in Vacation Land...Maine..
Up here we're in recession/depression all the time, we're use to it,,
Ah yes, "The way life should be"

The economy - Is it affecting your hiking?

Nope, no economy so not affected, same ol same ol
Job title: Vacationer :)

boarstone
04-05-2008, 22:07
Hey Woodsy, I hear ya...I got a good chuckle on your reply..ironic isn't it? Guess our materialism is just different..more toys...snowsleds, boats,ATV's,...this allows us to run around in used (and used up) cars/trucks. When the main vehicle shuts down, we just grab the closest toy for the job and keep going. Those are out "2nd" vehicles and we build garages just for them, heck, some of them are better than the house and barn...

gungho
04-05-2008, 22:11
It's not affecting my hiking, just everything else. You have to have your priorities.:D

slow
04-05-2008, 23:55
It's not the gas price or food...but charge cards.
How many still live by your bill's should be no more then 40% of you income?

MerlinKlein
04-07-2008, 22:42
Several years ago I got laid off. For four months I went running or hiking every day. Other than drinking cheapo beer it was the best 4 months of my life.

Then I went back to work. Now if I could get laid off again.......

Well I got laid off in Dec 02 and went into a panic. I have always worked, even during school. My company gave me a 5 month severance package and full bennys during that time. And what did I do? Got another job to double dip checks! Being young and stupid I did not walk the trail. Live and learn I guess

As for the economy I am better off now than 5 years ago. But the gas prices are making the day/weekend trips to Western NC fewer.

bfitz
04-08-2008, 02:26
Fillin the gas tank is pretty much what's killin me these days. Maybe it'll be cheaper in the fall....time to hike!! I can go a long way on the trail for 100 bucks a week. That doesn't even get me to work and back if I spend it on gas.

bfitz
04-08-2008, 02:28
Boycott the economy! Hike! Spend your money only at friendly small hurting family businesses in trail towns. Don't sweat the economy, haven't you seen the movie Mad Max? Its coming people.

fiddlehead
04-08-2008, 04:49
Yeah, plant a fruit tree. And get a bicycle to get to work.

JAK
04-08-2008, 07:33
How many still live by your bill's should be no more then 40% of you income?How many still live by "neither a lender nor a borrower be"?

Don't borrow money. Period!

JAK
04-08-2008, 07:34
Actually that was an exclamation mark. Sorry.

JAK
04-08-2008, 07:35
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

from Hamlet

Heater
04-08-2008, 07:36
Actually that was an exclamation mark. Sorry.

Don't be so hard on yourself, JAK. :rolleyes: :D

JAK
04-08-2008, 07:38
husbandry
2. Careful management or conservation of resources; economy.

If you always pay with cash or debit it is much more difficult to live beyond your means.
Consumer credit may have won us the Cold War, but now that that is over, it will sink us.

4eyedbuzzard
04-08-2008, 09:44
Not to worry - now that the goverment is borrowing $146 billion for us to spend on more chinese made products, like hiking gear. :rolleyes: It's not like we're personally borrowing the money, right :confused: :eek:

ki0eh
04-08-2008, 12:39
I just bought with my $40 chit from the gov't a $60 Chinese made converter box so I can keep watching free TV. Something's wrong here, can you guys help me figure it out?

scout005
04-08-2008, 19:49
Hog on Ice. I never thought of that, man! Maybe my employer will give me an early retirement too.:sun

scout005
04-08-2008, 19:51
Just glad I bought my tent with some of my tax return.:)

musicwoman
04-09-2008, 16:24
If the economy keeps going the way it is, I'll be LIVING on the trail in a tent.

FeO2
04-09-2008, 20:29
Gasoline to get to work costs almost as much as my families (4 of us) food bill :eek:

e-doc
04-09-2008, 20:48
The economy hasn't effected my hiking, my broken leg has!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-09-2008, 21:43
::: Dino curls loving and healing tail around e-doc :::

Summit
04-09-2008, 22:12
Gasoline is one product I have not been able to stick to my Never Pay Retail (NPR) practice. :eek: Can't seem to find any clearance sales on gas! :D :p

Bob S
04-09-2008, 23:57
Gasoline is one product I have not been able to stick to my Never Pay Retail (NPR) practice. :eek: Can't seem to find any clearance sales on gas! :D :p

Just figure out how to make some extra money to offset the higher gas prices. This way you can feel like you are not paying retail for it.

fiddlehead
04-10-2008, 02:07
I think the bicycle business would be a good one to get into about now.

Patrickjd9
04-10-2008, 02:28
Not to worry - now that the goverment is borrowing $146 billion for us to spend on more chinese made products, like hiking gear. :rolleyes: It's not like we're personally borrowing the money, right :confused: :eek:
I'm using mine to replace the $1200 I'm taking out of the bank to pay my tax bill next week.

Why didn't they just keep the stupid thing in the first place?

Patrickjd9
04-10-2008, 02:32
I'm experimenting with combining going on day hikes and commuting by stopping here in the late afternoons on the way home from work. Only about 5 miles out of my way.

http://www.sugarloafmd.com/

Frolicking Dinosaurs
04-10-2008, 07:36
I've been trying to talk He-Dino into letting the She-Dino bike (the ol' boy is very, very (overly?) protective of the She-Dino since the head-on collision in 2004.... and it takes all the fun out of a pursuit when you have to fight about it :D). It would save gas and be great exercise - and our area has a well-developed paved bike track (http://www.blountweb.com/greenwaytrails/) from various parking areas to various shopping options. Many handicapped residents use this network with their motorized wheel-chairs (only motorized transport allowed on the trail) to shop.

sasquatch2014
04-10-2008, 07:37
If the economy keeps going the way it is, I'll be LIVING on the trail in a tent.

I viewing my longer section hikes as a training ground for my inevitable upcoming vagrancy . :D

Tennessee Viking
04-10-2008, 12:19
I say it has some affect but not much. Mainly I just have to plan out where to stop for gas.

I live on the edge of a boom town with several opportunities to hike within 30-60 minute drive to several points of the AT.

As for the economy in whole, I say more and more people are looking into hiking and the outdoors.

nyushka42
04-10-2008, 14:35
Hell yeah it is. Instead of going hiking in Scotland at the end of the summer, because of the falling dollar I'll be on the AT in August instead. Not that that's a bad thing, since I wanted to do both.

Red Hat
04-10-2008, 19:13
I'll still be on the AT come July 1. Every dime I make at Weight-Watchers is going into my hiking bank account. I have enough right now to do it on a tight budget, but I have two more months of paychecks, so I ought to be fine! As for the other stuff, my husband will have all the money I'm not spending to pay for gas. My bus ticket to Maine did go up between December when I first priced it and February when I bought it. But I suspect it would be a lot more if I waited till June or so.

Montego
04-10-2008, 19:31
Is the economy affecting my hike? Why heck, I'm so poor I don't own a pot to p*** in or a window to throw it out of, but I do own hiking gear - so NO, not at all :D

Wise Old Owl
04-10-2008, 19:55

Sly The answer is YES. Even experts do not understand the American Economy. Our #1 Export that makes our economy strong, is not money, it is the sale of old, & support of military equipment. A very little known fact, When we go to war the Economy serges then receeds, We reap the benifits of war because we change & improve our equipment, selling off the very old tech that was for other countries.

Jets were invented by war, Nasa was invented by war, Nuclear energy (peacetime electricity) was invented by war.

War employees millions of other Americans in the arms race, This is not a conscript war, this is a war with volunteers, that clearly making a difference. You don't need to support the war, Just support the very people that are there making the difference.

We don't retire old planes - we send them to other countries.

Philippe
04-10-2008, 19:59
Is the economy affecting my hike? Why heck, I'm so poor I don't own a pot to p*** in or a window to throw it out of, but I do own hiking gear - so NO, not at all :D

This is a great opportunity for us "seasoned" hikers to explain our old gear as "retro-economic."

Montego
04-10-2008, 20:10
This is a great opportunity for us "seasoned" hikers to explain our old gear as "retro-economic."

Retro-economic :rolleyes: - I like that :)

Tractor
04-10-2008, 20:51
whisperlite = retro-economic. sounds fine to me.

Skidsteer
04-10-2008, 21:35
How many still live by your bill's should be no more then 40% of you income?

I don't have a credit card. Credit cards are the devil.

hopefulhiker
04-10-2008, 21:37
How about a SVEA old brass stove?

Philippe
04-10-2008, 21:50
How about a SVEA old brass stove?

Absolutely! Good thing too, because you won't live long enough to wear it out.:)

Summit
04-10-2008, 22:01
I don't have a credit card. Credit cards are the devil.Only if you lack discipline. They are nice to have for emergencies. I have no credit card debt. Don't buy something on a credit card that you don't have the funds to pay for, and you won't get into trouble.

On a thru hike I'd rather carry a credit/debit card rather than $1000+ in cash! ;)

Skidsteer
04-10-2008, 22:07
Only if you lack discipline. They are nice to have for emergencies. I have no credit card debt. Don't buy something on a credit card that you don't have the funds to pay for, and you won't get into trouble.

On a thru hike I'd rather carry a credit/debit card rather than $1000+ in cash! ;)

Agreed. I have a debit card that does everything I need with money I have already earned.

I choose not to have the temptation of a credit card in my pocket.

hopefulhiker
04-11-2008, 19:13
If one is going to carry a credit card on a long distance hike it might be a good idea to lower the limit on the card in case it gets lost or stolen.. Then you can at least limit your possible total loss.

Sly
04-12-2008, 07:23
I don't have a credit card. Credit cards are the devil.

I have about 12, good for about $60,000! I started getting them in '02 after I got back from the CDT and wasn't working. I kept opening new ones, transferring balances with low or 0% interest. With online banking I've been able pay them all off, on time and have an excellent credit rating.

On another note, last night I paid the most EVER to fill my tank. It's cheaper to fly!

Sly
04-12-2008, 07:25
If one is going to carry a credit card on a long distance hike it might be a good idea to lower the limit on the card in case it gets lost or stolen.. Then you can at least limit your possible total loss.

Nonsense. Most, if not all, cards limit your loses if lost or stolen to zero or $50.

SteveJ
04-12-2008, 09:37
Nonsense. Most, if not all, cards limit your loses if lost or stolen to zero or $50.

yep - as opposed to the fake Visa debit cards that are the ultmate consumer rip-off. Lose 'em and the money comes straight out of your banking account, and they don't require a PIN. Yeah, the banks supposedly will limit your loss, but most don't say that they'll reimburse you for bounced check fees - especially from other business / institutions.....

http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2007/08/27/12583/

Fly Rod
04-12-2008, 10:04

Hiking has taught me one of the most valuable lessons in life: How to live to the fullest with less, and less, materialism. Hiking has not only taught me what is truly important in life but it has launched various money-saving hobbies like sewing, gardening, building and using a dehydrator, stove making (playtime) and many other activities like learning more about survival, weather, geology, conservation, etc.
It is we who will prosper through the dark times of economic disasters. Then again, the Amish seem to be rolling along just fine too.

Shun vanity, greed, pretentiousness, materialism and the like. If we embrace fortitude, ingenuity, wisdom, self-discipline and a hunger for truthful knowledge and adventure; a guy could hike to the moon and back.:-?

minnesotasmith
04-12-2008, 10:08
last night I paid the most EVER to fill my tank. It's cheaper to fly!

I suggest the Honda Insight, Lupo3L, or Wildfire vehicles. They start at 67 mpg, and Wildfire has a pickup truck that gets 72. :)

fiddlehead
04-12-2008, 10:31
Here are my top 10 tips for saving fuel:
http://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/2008/04/05/gas-saving-tips-for-driving-your-car-or-truck/

by the way, i get about 100 mpg on my Honda Wave 100 cc motorcycle.

X-LinkedHiker
04-12-2008, 11:29
It certainly is if you live in NJ. sucks for all garden state residents who really enjoy the outdoors. Other than that, I don't see how it can. If anything, there isn't enough money to do anything else except hike. In essence, it could be strengthening the time for hiking.

wakapak
04-12-2008, 11:50
is the economy effecting my hike???

well, in a weird way i can yes, but only because it's way cheaper for me to live while hiking than it is to live in regular society!! Even tho i won't be making any money, i'm still spending WAY less while i'm out there.....so yeah, it's effecting my hike, it's helping me to go hike!!

hopefulhiker
04-12-2008, 18:00
Some people depend on their investment return to finance their hikes... When their return goes down so does their income...

Sly
04-12-2008, 18:18
I suggest the Honda Insight, Lupo3L, or Wildfire vehicles. They start at 67 mpg, and Wildfire has a pickup truck that gets 72. :)

I'm not into buying new cars, but when I retire to central America, I may charge one!

Sly
04-12-2008, 18:21
Some people depend on their investment return to finance their hikes... When their return goes down so does their income...

Tell me about it. I lost the cost of a thru-hike (without smoking or drinking! :D) this QUARTER!

Ickuss
04-12-2008, 18:52
Probably not. Between myself and 2 other partners the three of us will trudge on. The way we see it, the gear is payed for and for the trip to the Smokies this fall we will all split the cost for fuel from Missouri and one or two nights lodging for 6 days on the trail.

tina.anderson
04-15-2008, 11:45
I know my family depends on investment returns for a lot of luxury items, and right now times are obviously not good, so I fear it will affect our hiking somewhat this year.

smokymtnsteve
04-15-2008, 14:01
The last time I checked, Little Debbie brownies were still $.25, a used thrift-store ski pole was still $1, and used New Balance trail shoes were still $3 at a thrift store. And I can still get a 30+ mpg vehicle for $300 at an auto auction..
Once again, it is primarily a matter of individual choice and comfort level.
Choosing to lead a life of 'practical poverty' gives one some stability from the variations in the general economy.
There is no need to be an indentured servant. And why would any animal, which we are as well, voluntarily walk into a cage?

lifestyle choices make all the difference, why I just found a great pair of hiking shoes at our local dump recycle reuse area, along with two gently used wool pendleton shirts, and enough scrap wood to heat the cabin for a few days,

smokymtnsteve
04-15-2008, 14:13
With gas prices escalating as they have, non-stop, for the past years... I have been seriously thinking of getting a Civic Hybrid. So, yeah... the economy has affected my plans.

That and worries about the job situation when I get back concern me.

more jobs than people here in FBKS AK