PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Foods.

Alligator
04-03-2008, 09:40
There are certain foods some folks love and others just find plain nasty:D. What foods have you brought on the trail to eat that others find gross?

I'll start out relatively mild with Cream of Wheat and mustard greens.

FFTorched
04-03-2008, 09:43
The thought of cottage cheese makes me nauseous so I can't eat it.

mudhead
04-03-2008, 09:46

Large curd or small curd?

max patch
04-03-2008, 09:50
I accidentally boiled white gas for coffee one morning.

Luckily, I discovered my mistake -- whoosh!!! -- before it was served.

budforester
04-03-2008, 09:52
I accidentally boiled white gas for coffee one morning.

Luckily, I discovered my mistake -- whoosh!!! -- before it was served.

please accept my apologies for giggling.

max patch
04-03-2008, 09:55
I took a bunch of friends out on their first backpacking trip. We stayed at the old Stover Creek Shelter when it was on what is today the BMT just off of USFS42.

One guy ate a tin of sardines just before bed. All night long we heard the guy on his left say "Roll over. Your breath stinks" Eventually the guy on his right would wake up and say "Roll over. Your breath stinks" This literally went on all night long.

Thoughtful Owl
04-03-2008, 09:58
What foods have you brought on the trail to eat that others find gross?

You brought cottage cheese with you on the trail? No wonder it made you nauseous! :-?

Shiraz-mataz
04-03-2008, 09:59
Some people say that my GRITS are nasty but I counter their argument with the fact that oatmeal is the nastiest of all hot cereals (unless of course it is consumed in the form of Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies!)

minnesotasmith
04-03-2008, 09:59
Cuttlefish (close relative of squid) jerky and sushi-grade seaweed.

warraghiyagey
04-03-2008, 10:00
I like to mix up calamari and Hellman's and leave it in the sun for a few ours. Mmmmm. Deeelish.

Frosty
04-03-2008, 10:03
For some reason many people find the LNT practice of "drinking your dishwater" to be disgusting.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 10:05
For some reason many people find the LNT practice of "drinking your dishwater" to be disgusting.

no need to do that. just fling it

Frosty
04-03-2008, 10:09
no need to do that. just fling itWell, only part of it is LNT. I carried those little bits of food that are now stuck to the pot for a couple days, and by God they are mine, not a snack for some mouse.

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 10:11
LNT is a myth

Alligator
04-03-2008, 10:11
For some reason many people find the LNT practice of "drinking your dishwater" to be disgusting.It's the floaties:p.

warraghiyagey
04-03-2008, 10:16
LNT is a fine concept. . . like many others, until the Zealots get ahold of it

Lellers
04-03-2008, 10:17
I'm still waiting for someone to top "scrapple" as the nastiest food.

mmmmm

Lone Wolf
04-03-2008, 10:19
LNT is a fine concept. . . like many others, until the Zealots get ahold of it

go to Hawk Mtn. shelter or any shelter in Georgia or ANY shelter on the AT and tell me LNT is a fine concept. it's a joke not an idea

Heater
04-03-2008, 10:25

mmmmm

Hagas..................

Alligator
04-03-2008, 10:29
Hagas..................Did you bring it with you?

Heater
04-03-2008, 10:36
Did you bring it with you?

I keep it in a separate bladder. :D:D:D

Alligator
04-03-2008, 10:39
I keep it in a separate bladder. :D:D:DLOL.

max patch
04-03-2008, 10:42
Taro used to eat dried squid and some other kind of dried fish. It actually was pretty good.

max patch
04-03-2008, 10:47
Taro used to eat dried squid and some other kind of dried fish. It actually was pretty good.

octopus

mudhead
04-03-2008, 10:57
Consider moving this to the weight loss thread. Keep it up, I have some chub I need to drop.

halftime
04-03-2008, 10:58

mmmmm

Chitlins'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitterlings

Newb
04-03-2008, 11:03
Durian Fruit.

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2008, 11:03
An old German Favorite-Liverwurst & Cream Cheese on Rye :-? Even my Mountain Mommas, (Big Large Girls) will turn up their noses!

No I am not German.

mudhead
04-03-2008, 11:10
Call liverwurst pate, and everyone will want it!

Sardines in mustard sauce.

Creek Dancer
04-03-2008, 11:14
Spam. Hate it, hate it, hate it. Nothing but mystery meat IMO!

But if you like it, you can now buy it in a single serving foil pack.

max patch
04-03-2008, 11:15
Durian Fruit.

Andrew Zimmern had that on TV a few weeks back.

How about Civit Coffee? A weasel eats coffee beans, they are partially digested, and then are pooped out. The poop is collected, the coffee beans are removed and washed, and then roasted and brewed.

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 11:20
Souse meat is loved by some, but I can't do it.

Nastiest thing I had on the trail: I dehydrated some mushrooms (but not dry enough, unknown to me). Put them in the pack and carried them for 4-5 days, looking forward to mushrooms in my spaghetti that night I open the package and the smell of those rotten mushrooms was bad enough to knock a buzzard off of a gut wagon.

unl1988
04-03-2008, 11:20
Any form of CLIF Bar. They were in a meal every day at Philmont, after about 6 days, you couldn't give them away, even to a 14 year old kid, after 7 days, I couldn't even eat one. Don't know why, they just turned me off.

Gaiter
04-03-2008, 11:28
a second on the cliff bar or those type of cardboard bars, hate them

tried to add tuna to a lipton side once it was sooo bad, i was traumatized, ate ramen for several days after that,

Alligator
04-03-2008, 11:35
I had canned shrimp in a Rice-a-Roni fried rice once. I had actually been looking forward to it too.

Lellers
04-03-2008, 11:47
We have a big Korean food market near my house, and I went there with a Korean friend of mine the other day. There are lots of "interesting" foods there, including several Durian fruits. The chip/snack aisle is very interesting, and includes lots of shrimp and cuttlefish chips. They also seem to have lots and lots of vacuum packed cooked ears of corn. I was wondering if those might be good on the trail. It's a bit heavy, but with two in a pack, that might be a nice treat. I thought the cob might even burn in a fire after it sat on the side a bit to dry out. The ramen (ramyun) selection is much tastier and varied. Oh, and packets and packets of various dried fish to chew on -- fish jerky, I call it. If you can eat the stuff, there's lots of food available to take on the trail at the local Asian market.

vonfrick
04-03-2008, 12:00
An old German Favorite-Liverwurst & Cream Cheese on Rye :-? Even my Mountain Mommas, (Big Large Girls) will turn up their noses!

No I am not German.

wow, I AM German- grew up eating that all the time, with KETCHUP!! only we called it by its proper name- braunschweiger

HIKER7s
04-03-2008, 12:08
I clear the area when I eat my dried crickets or dried cuttlefish. Later on..the area gets re-cleared.

HIKER7s
04-03-2008, 12:12
how about (I found this out by accident) ramen beef flavoring in your oatmeal made with dried cherries and dates.

HIKER7s
04-03-2008, 12:19
dehydrated beef jerky, apricot jam, granola, chocolate, melted marshmallow and pureed 3 bean salad into a "surprise " roll-up one time

made bannock in the dark "knowing right where" the bag of cling peaches were to bake it in. geabbed the pickled beets instead. didnt even realize it until the smell i couldnt place for the last 10 minutes reached my mouth.

couldnt waste provisions so ate it anyway

HIKER7s
04-03-2008, 12:22
wow, I AM German- grew up eating that all the time, with KETCHUP!! only we called it by its proper name- braunschweiger

Ive liked Ketchup mixed with hot sauces in the past however I have heard if your in a Texas resturant and ask for the ketchup you can hear a pin drop- that alot of place out that ways look down on "ruining" a great peice of steak.

fivel
04-03-2008, 12:22
My dad carries dried milk and powdered gatorade and one day he put powdered gatorade in his coffee thinking it was the dried milk - ewww!

bigmac_in
04-03-2008, 12:38
How about Head Cheese? YUCK !

http://www.ira.usf.edu/GS/artists/paine_roxy/images/head_cheese.jpg

minnesotasmith
04-03-2008, 13:03
The way this has been in the news, bet someone here will try it:

http://www.npr.org/programs/wesat/features/2002/apr/loaf/index.html

Prison Loaf
Maryland Lockup Uses Horrid Bread Dish as Disciplinary Tool
Listen to Scott Simon's report.

April 6, 2002 -- How do you handle a hungry con? If he ain't misbehavin', regular old, godawful prison food will do. But if he's been bad, and if he happens to be a resident of Baltimore's Maryland Correctional Adjustment Center, he might be stuck eating what the prison calls a "special management meal," and what the inmates call…. Well, this is a family public radio network.

Scott Simon prepares to sample the loaf.
Photo: Andy Lyman, NPR

Let's just say the inmates don't like "prison loaf." And that's the whole idea. It's all part of a wider effort to "discourage negative inmate behavior," Warden Thomas Corcoran tells Scott Simon on Weekend Edition Saturday.
Sort of a carrot-and stick approach to corrections, then. Except that the carrots in this case are finely grated and mixed with wheat bread, fake cheese, spinach, beans, raisins and other ingredients to create what Simon concludes "smells a little bit like the food they serve in the elephant cage at the National Zoo."
But how does it taste? "Blander than bland," declares Simon, who bravely samples the product on the air.

Inmates sentenced to loaf-consumption are served the horrible stuff three times a day for about a week (each loaf weighs a pound). If they keep their noses clean, they can then go back to the relative culinary delights of regular prison fare. If not, it's back to the loaf, which Corcoran says adheres to all nutritional guidelines, and even meets the needs of most special diets.
Does it work? Corcoran says that in the two years since the prison's behavior-modification program -- including the loaf -- was instituted, the incidence of inmate assaults on prison staff has been cut in half. "The proof is in the loaf," he says.
If you want to judge for yourself, here's the recipe:

Special Management Meal [Nutraloaf]
Yield - Three Loaves
• 6 slices whole wheat bread, finely chopped
• 4 ounces imitation cheddar cheese, finely grated
• 4 ounces raw carrots, finely grated
• 12 ounces spinach, canned, drained
• 2 cups dried Great Northern Beans, soaked,
cooked and drained
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 6 ounces potato flakes, dehydrated
• 6 ounces tomato paste
• 8 ounces powdered skim milk
• 4 ounces raisins

Mix all ingredients in a 12-quart mixing bowl. Make sure all wet items are drained. Mix until stiff, just moist enough to spread. Form three loaves in glazed bread pans. Place loaf pans in the oven on a sheet pan filled with water, to keep the bottom of the loaves from burning. Bake at 325 degrees in a convection oven for approximately 45 minutes. The loaf will start to pull away from the sides of the bread pan when done.

Lellers
04-03-2008, 13:05
Head cheese definitely beats out scrapple every time! At one of our big scout events, we had a station called "Fear Factor" where the boys would have to step up and eat some nasty mystery food. The first year they did it with scrapple. Most of the boys loved the stuff and chowed down on it. The next year they went for souse/head cheese, and the kids were gagging and spitting it out. We had one boy in our troop who was challenged by another boy. "If you eat that piece that piece that someone spit out on the ground, I'll give your patrol 10 points." So, our scout picked up the piece of rejected souse, with a piece of dried leaf attached for good measure. He ate it and earned the 10 points for his patrol. Then, as they left the area, in all seriousness, he complained about the taste of the leaf!

One day, he'll make a fine AT thru hiker, I'm sure.!

the goat
04-03-2008, 13:08
triscuit, a slice of sharp cheddar, a dollop of peanut butter & a raw garlic clove on top. ahhhhh, my favorite trail snack.

Mzee
04-03-2008, 13:14
I took a bunch of teenagers backpacking one time. I bought little cans of potted meat spread and bagels for a lunch. I took the paper labels off the cans to save weight. ;)

As they were munching their way through lunch, one of the teens asked what kind of meat they were eating since there were no labels. I answered, "I'm not sure. I can't remember if I was in the canned meat aisle or the cat food aisle when I bought those cans." :D

It was fun to watch about half the teens turn green and decide they'd had enough for lunch. The rest of them ate with gusto.

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 13:15
triscuit, a slice of sharp cheddar, a dollop of peanut butter & a raw garlic clove on top. ahhhhh, my favorite trail snack.

I like all of the ingredients, but haven't tried them together. May have to give it a try.

Alligator
04-03-2008, 13:18
I like all of the ingredients, but haven't tried them together. May have to give it a try.I like garlic too, but I'm not sure about the PB.

Come to think of it, a little garlic roasted in the fire would make a nice late night snack!

Blissful
04-03-2008, 13:27
One guy last year on the trail took a hunk of ramen unbroken, topped it with PB and honey, then sprinkled the flavor packet on top.

Eeew.

d'shadow
04-03-2008, 13:37

ketchup???? We ate it with mustard:D I still love it.

HIKER7s
04-03-2008, 13:38
When we go cod fishing, the rookie ceremony of eating a cod heart

minnesotasmith
I can't stand really spicy food, but having seen plenty of people enjoying it, I know that opinions vary.

Funny related story...

TEXAS CHILI COOKOFF

NOTE: Please take time to read this slowly. If you pay attention to the first two judges, the reaction of the third is even better.

For those of you who have lived in Texas, you know how true this is. They actually have a Chili cook-off about the time the rodeo comes to town. It takes up a major portion of the parking lot at the Astrodome. The notes are from an inexperienced chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a Chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking directions to the Budweiser truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted."

Here are the scorecards from the event:

Chili # 1 Mike's Maniac Mobster Monster Chili

Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick!
Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

Judge # 3 -- (Frank) Holy s**t, what the h*ll is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with it. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy.

Chili # 2 Arthur's Afterburner Chili

Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.

Chili # 3 Fred's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili.

Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.

Judge # 2 -- A beanless chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.

Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting s**t-faced from all of the beer!

Chili # 4 Bubba's Black Magic

Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.

Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out tastebuds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb. b***h is starting to look HOT -- just like this nuclear waste I'm eating. Is chili an aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Linda's Legal Lip Remover

Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground,adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really p*sses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks!

Chili # 6 Vera's Very Vegetarian Variety

Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.

Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulfuric flames. I s**t myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that s**t Sally. She must be kinkier than I thought. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my @ss with a snow cone!

Chili # 7 Susan's Screaming Sensation Chili

Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should take note that I am worried about Judge #3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.

Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a f'ing thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava like s**t to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, its too painful. Screw it, I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

Chili #8 Tommy's Toe-Nail Curling Chili

Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor fellow, wonder how he'd have reacted to a really hot chili?

Wise Old Owl
We have a big Korean food market near my house, and I went there with a Korean friend of mine the other day. There are lots of "interesting" foods there, including several Durian fruits. The chip/snack aisle is very interesting, and includes lots of shrimp and cuttlefish chips. They also seem to have lots and lots of vacuum packed cooked ears of corn. I was wondering if those might be good on the trail. It's a bit heavy, but with two in a pack, that might be a nice treat. I thought the cob might even burn in a fire after it sat on the side a bit to dry out. The ramen (ramyun) selection is much tastier and varied. Oh, and packets and packets of various dried fish to chew on -- fish jerky, I call it. If you can eat the stuff, there's lots of food available to take on the trail at the local Asian market.

Yea I tried that, I saw a packet of Candied nut meats possibly Chestnut for children. I almost puked. Still like the market though.

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 13:44
Come to think of it, a little garlic roasted in the fire would make a nice late night snack!

Great idea, you could roast cloves in a little Aluminum foil and spread them on bread, bagels, etc.

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 13:50
MS that Chili taster thing is hilarious. I've seen it before and had it saved, but lost it. I was still laughing so hard that my eyes are watering.

Thanks

vonfrick
04-03-2008, 14:48
Ive liked Ketchup mixed with hot sauces in the past however I have heard if your in a Texas resturant and ask for the ketchup you can hear a pin drop- that alot of place out that ways look down on "ruining" a great peice of steak.

ketchup???? We ate it with mustard:D I still love it.

I lived in Pittsburgh as a child and the shadow of the Heinz factory loomed large. Ketchup seemed to go with everything.

fivel
04-03-2008, 15:04
My dad reminded me of this story:
When my brothers & I were little, the family would go car camping in VT. One summer, my dad was making spaghetti for the whole family over the campfire. He took the cooked noodles off the fire and remembered they didn't have a colander. He decided to make one by putting foil over the dish pan. The foil was too narrow so he folded two pieces together. Then he poked holes in the foil. He dumped the spaghetti over the foil and DOH the foil broke through and...SOAPY SPAGHETTI! Of course, we had to eat it, after a little rinsing off. Forever on, we remember the night we ate soapy spaghetti as a classic moment in family camping.

Old Hillwalker
04-03-2008, 17:00
Vietnamese have a fish sauce called Nuouc Mam that goes great on just plain steamed rice. Smelly but does it taste good!

Koreans have a type of spicy saurkraut called Kim Chi that we used to trade for with the Korean troops in "Nam". Claymores for Kim Chi. They loved Clamores, we loved Kim Chi.

The real Korean stuff is killer, but the stuff thay had in "Nam was made in California. But still delicious.

Ah, the good old days.......

Doctari
04-03-2008, 17:23
Smores.

To me they are worse than any hiking food mentioned so far.

Skidsteer
04-03-2008, 17:32
Vietnamese have a fish sauce called Nuouc Mam that goes great on just plain steamed rice. Smelly but does it taste good!

Koreans have a type of spicy saurkraut called Kim Chi that we used to trade for with the Korean troops in "Nam". Claymores for Kim Chi. They loved Clamores, we loved Kim Chi.

The real Korean stuff is killer, but the stuff thay had in "Nam was made in California. But still delicious.

Ah, the good old days.......

Kim chi is really good.

Don't ask how it's made...

Lyle
04-03-2008, 17:33
Once, on the CDT, was hiking with a group. One very shy, unassuming young man was found eating a NASTY looking dinner.

Turns out, he didn't realize it would be a dry camp, mixed all his available water as fruit punch, then proceeded to make his beef and noodle Mountain House dinner with it. He had eaten about half of it when we made him stop, and each contributed to a new dinner for him - he was short of food for this section, so didn't want to waste any.

The rest of us just couldn't stomach knowing what he was eating.

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 17:34
I like Kim Chi too, and I know it's a fermentation thing, but I really don't think that I want to know any more. Never tried Nuouc Mam, but I have heard of it.

peanuts
04-03-2008, 18:55
delish i pour it over my jasmine rice..yummmms

kayak karl
04-03-2008, 20:15
this was the 60's. camping at French Creek Pa. with the Indian Guides. Chief Halftown was there as guess speaker. my dad and uncle rock cooked breakfast. 10 or so cans of spam chopped and fried, then dozens of eggs dumped on top and scrambled. no grease drained off? i can't explain the color, or colors in that big frying pan. i ate it, but i was starving. even the chief said it was BAD:(
to this day it was the worst breakfast this brave ever ate:)

HIKER7s
04-04-2008, 06:00
Kim chi is really good.

Don't ask how it's made...

Is that the fish heads and straw fermentation thing ...or is that the "fish sauce" I am thinkin of.

It is good on the right things, if you can get past the smell:eek:

Lone Wolf
04-04-2008, 06:10
any kind of cheese. i eat none of it

HIKER7s
04-04-2008, 06:31

LW I wish I had that outlook (currently trying to do just that).

I eat cheese too much. (I mean I can eat a pound of swiss in a sitting)

saimyoji
04-04-2008, 08:41
LW I wish I had that outlook (currently trying to do just that).

I eat cheese too much. (I mean I can eat a pound of swiss in a sitting)

Try it with kimchee.

HIKER7s
04-04-2008, 09:27
Try it with kimchee.

then Id have to eat it outside in a breeze:)

Footslogger
04-04-2008, 11:04
From my experience it ALL gets nasty after a while. I drank so much Carnation Instant Breakfast in the beginning that after a couple months just the sight of the label made my throat swell.

Seriously, just about any food, whether you or other hikers like it at first, will make you blow chunks if you eat too much of it. That's one of the strongest arguments against buying all your food up front.

'Slogger

Heater
04-04-2008, 11:16
Cheese is one of the great pleasures of life. Cheese rules! :D:D

Lellers
04-04-2008, 11:17
this was the 60's. camping at French Creek Pa. with the Indian Guides. Chief Halftown was there as guess speaker. my dad and uncle rock cooked breakfast. 10 or so cans of spam chopped and fried, then dozens of eggs dumped on top and scrambled. no grease drained off? i can't explain the color, or colors in that big frying pan. i ate it, but i was starving. even the chief said it was BAD:(
to this day it was the worst breakfast this brave ever ate:)

You actually camped with Chief Halftown! Wow! I'm so jealous! If Sally Starr were there, too, I don't know if I could stand it! What about Captain and Mrs. Noah?

Red and yellow and pink and green...

Heater
04-04-2008, 11:18
Cheese is one of the great pleasures of life. Cheese rules! :D:D

Oh, and Bacon... and chili. Yeah! :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana

Jim Adams
04-04-2008, 11:20

I AM from Pittsburgh...put ketchup on it, it'll be great!:D

I haven't cooked Ramen in years but I eat it all the time raw on the trail. It is one of the few things on the trail to eat "crunchie". Break up the noodles while in the package, then sprinkle the seasoning packet over the noodles still in the packet. Close the packet and shake...the noodles are crunchie and tast like BBQ pretzels. NOW the horrible part! Don't do this with shrimp flavor....I learned the hard way....it tastes like you are eating a fish bowl!:(

I do carry and love to eat anchovie paste on the trail. I put it on crackers, raw ramen, bagels, etc. I really like it but it turns most people away.:cool:

geek

DesertMTB
04-04-2008, 11:35
Brains N Eggs. Mmmm. Southerners sure know how to cook.

Mags
04-04-2008, 12:51
My great-grandmother came from Naples. Though she passed away when I was 9 yrs old, I still remember her fairly well. The biggest joy in her life was seeing three great-grandsons to carry on the family name. (Of course, she would have expected me to be married by now., and with three children of my own. :D)

I remember my Dad taking me to visit great-grandma. She always had these (to my young pallet) strange food like salted olives, strong tasting cheese, spicy and marinated food etc. At 7 yrs old, I wanted a Happy Meal! To heck with this homemade and funny tasting food. (Yeah..I did not know any better)

As I became older, I appreciated those foods that you can't get in a most "Italian" restaurants and can only find in homes, some specialty shops and a few restaurants run by people named Sal, Gina or Tony that is short on atmosphere but long on great food. (These types of places are usually found in the basements of social clubs and are named St. Something.)

In any case, one food I tried as a young lad but have yet to try again is tripe (or trippa as my great-grandma would have said).

Call it chitlins, menudo, trippa, etc seems every ethnic group has a peasant dish that adheres to the dictum of using the "tail to snout" of an animal.

One day, Dad came from visiting great-grandma and brought some food home with him. He heated up some tripe and offered it to me. It was in a simple tomato sauce but did not look like the macaroni I usually had. I timidly took a bite. It was both mushy and rubbery. It did not taste like ravioli, it did not taste like a Happy Meal..it was yucky!

Almost 30 yrs later, I have yet to try this dish again. I make a few other peasant food dishes that came over with my great-grandparents. Pasta fazool. "Greens and beans". Fritattas. And so on. But I never have the urge to go to some of the local Hispanic grocery stores, pick up some tripe and recreate a dish that is not even liked much in Naples anymore. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2002/oct/26/naples.italy.travelfoodanddrink)

Next time I visit RI, Dad promised (threatened?) to take me to one of those basement restaurants and get some tripe with me. I doubt I will want to get a happy meal, but the ravioli may still be more appealing to me. :)

wakapak
04-04-2008, 13:03
I AM from Pittsburgh...put ketchup on it, it'll be great!:D

I haven't cooked Ramen in years but I eat it all the time raw on the trail. It is one of the few things on the trail to eat "crunchie". Break up the noodles while in the package, then sprinkle the seasoning packet over the noodles still in the packet. Close the packet and shake...the noodles are crunchie and tast like BBQ pretzels. NOW the horrible part! Don't do this with shrimp flavor....I learned the hard way....it tastes like you are eating a fish bowl!:(

I do carry and love to eat anchovie paste on the trail. I put it on crackers, raw ramen, bagels, etc. I really like it but it turns most people away.:cool:

geek

Good lord Geek!! I know I hiked around you some, but i'm soo glad i never saw the anchovie paste thing! I probably woulda blown chunks right there!!!:eek:

I have done the raw ramen thing though...I've also put peanut butter on the whole block of raw ramen and crunched away!!

NICKTHEGREEK
04-04-2008, 13:34
pigfoot on the trail--
pig snout in aspic (in Paris)

Pennsylvania Rose
04-04-2008, 13:49
Can't be just any ketchup - has to be Heinz. No Hunt's for this Pgh native!

Grossest thing I ever saw: someone I know was draining their macaroni, dropped it on the ground, scooped it back up, added the cheese, and ate it, leaf bits and all.

wakapak
04-04-2008, 13:52

Grossest thing I ever saw: someone I know was draining their macaroni, dropped it on the ground, scooped it back up, added the cheese, and ate it, leaf bits and all.

LOL!!! That reminds of a gross thing i witnessed!! I forget where we were on the trail,i think camping on some town or maybe at partnership shelter, but had a box of leftover pizza that was left out all nite, and the ants and other bugs got in it......anyway, another hiker opened it up in the morning, brushed some of the ants off, and proceeded to eat the rest, ants and all! :eek:

warraghiyagey
04-04-2008, 14:24
Protein!!

wakapak
04-04-2008, 15:02
Protein!!

yeah, that's what he said too!! :rolleyes:

Jim Adams
04-04-2008, 16:26

LOL...a little fiber never hurt anybody.....besides...if that was a snickers instead of mac & cheese???????????:D

geek

astrogirl
04-04-2008, 22:01
the prison loaf doesn't actually sound that bad...except for the raisins.

Alligator
04-04-2008, 22:07
the prison loaf doesn't actually sound that bad...except for the raisins.I was thinking the same thing. Raisins in anything is unpalatable in my book. They are just fine plain though.

Wilson
04-04-2008, 22:27
Bagels are an awefull excuse for a bread.

Heater
04-04-2008, 22:31
I was thinking the same thing. Raisins in anything is unpalatable in my book. They are just fine plain though.

I love Oatmeal Raisin cookies. :)

saimyoji
04-04-2008, 22:38
toasted raisin bread

Heater
04-04-2008, 22:44
toasted raisin bread

Oh yeah. I haven't had that in ages.

Raisins are good in some cereals too.

Alligator
04-04-2008, 22:54
Oh yeah. I haven't had that in ages.

Raisins are good in some cereals too.I forgot about Raisin Bran. That's ok. It's when the raisins are embedded in stuff:p.

desdemona
04-05-2008, 03:34
Bonito flakes. (You could take these hiking, very light). I feed them to my cats, but I have heard that they are a flavoring in Japanese soups. EEW!
Even grosser than Spirulina which I used to feed to my fish, supposed to be an amazing health food.

--des

kayak karl
04-05-2008, 09:09
You actually camped with Chief Halftown! Wow! I'm so jealous! If Sally Starr were there, too, I don't know if I could stand it! What about Captain and Mrs. Noah?

Red and yellow and pink and green...
i think mr. greenjeans cleaned up the camp and mr. moose stole our food :D

Hooch
04-05-2008, 09:23
There are certain foods some folks love and others just find plain nasty:D. What foods have you brought on the trail to eat that others find gross?

I'll start out relatively mild with Cream of Wheat and mustard greens.Pickles. I dislike pickles with a a passion so deep that others will probably never understand. Yuk! It's the equivalent of trying to get Lone Wolf to eat cheese. Bleah!

Lellers
04-05-2008, 13:16
There are certain foods some folks love and others just find plain nasty:D.

I went back to the original post and I thought about this. I get teased all the time for my deep loathing of marshmallows. Why do people even like those gross little things. I hate them in all shapes and forms. Peeps are especially gross. And 'smores... a waste of perfectly good chocolate and graham crackers!

Pathfinder
04-05-2008, 14:23
I went back to the original post and I thought about this. I get teased all the time for my deep loathing of marshmallows. Why do people even like those gross little things. I hate them in all shapes and forms. Peeps are especially gross. And 'smores... a waste of perfectly good chocolate and graham crackers!

Not even the good ole fluffernutter or rice crispy treats? I love that kind of stuff... especially 'smores.

Feral Bill
04-05-2008, 14:35
Bagels are an awefull excuse for a bread.

Round bread with a whole in the middle does not a bagel make. Try the real deal, from a good NY bagel shop, and you will change your attitude.

Alligator
04-05-2008, 15:51
Round bread with a whole in the middle does not a bagel make. Try the real deal, from a good NY bagel shop, and you will change your attitude.Definitely. But stay away from the cinnamon raisin ones:jump!

dessertrat
04-05-2008, 16:11
I Hate Mayo!

Jim Adams
04-05-2008, 18:53
Pickles. I dislike pickles with a a passion so deep that others will probably never understand. Yuk! It's the equivalent of trying to get Lone Wolf to eat cheese. Bleah!

Ketchup!.....ketchup on EVERYTHING!!!!!:banana

geek

dessertrat
04-05-2008, 22:43
LOL!!! That reminds of a gross thing i witnessed!! I forget where we were on the trail,i think camping on some town or maybe at partnership shelter, but had a box of leftover pizza that was left out all nite, and the ants and other bugs got in it......anyway, another hiker opened it up in the morning, brushed some of the ants off, and proceeded to eat the rest, ants and all! :eek:

I could do that if I were hungry. Bugs won't hurt you. I would be more worried about how long the pizza had been there, and at what temperature.

wakapak
04-05-2008, 23:19
I could do that if I were hungry. Bugs won't hurt you. I would be more worried about how long the pizza had been there, and at what temperature.

yeah thats true!! I know bugs won't hurt you, but when they are crawling so thick that the cheese pizza has a different color to it, i don't know, it kinda grosses me out!! :p

Wise Old Owl
04-05-2008, 23:50
Ok folks,
What would you do if your best freind presented you with this 4 oz can and how would you incorporate it into a freezer bag cookin presentation?

No I am very serious... No Joke, I did buy a couple of cans to try.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/What.jpg

Lellers
04-06-2008, 01:12
Not even the good ole fluffernutter or rice crispy treats? I love that kind of stuff... especially 'smores.

Not even flutternutter. It's all an abomination!:eek:

desdemona
04-06-2008, 02:30
Not even flutternutter. It's all an abomination!:eek:

I think it depends on your age. I was trying to explain flutternutters (or is it fluffernutters--that's what i always thought, not sure I have seen this in print or not) to an Israeli. Hah! I think the marshmallow cream might originally be cake icing. Anyway, what I said basically is that if you like it you are probably under 30.

I used to eat those with a passion and now find the whole thing disgusting.
I might be able to eat a rice krispie bar though. I think the texture is interesting. I have eaten South Beach bars and I notice they liked the texture too and made their bars that way.

--des

Green Frog
04-06-2008, 03:00
http://www.uglyfood.com/

Scroll Down

sofaking
04-06-2008, 03:17
Ok folks,
What would you do if your best freind presented you with this 4 oz can and how would you incorporate it into a freezer bag cookin presentation?

i wouldn't bother with it on the trail, but canned octopus is tasty,i like it packed in tomato sauce

mudhead
04-06-2008, 08:57
I don't like marshmallows, but I had a fluffernutter last night. Fluff is fat free, and therefore health food.

minnesotasmith
04-06-2008, 18:18
Ok folks,

It's the best inexpensive brand of canned octopus easily found in the States. There is a Spanish brand that's better and still findable, but is considerably pricier.

HIKER7s
04-07-2008, 12:38
It's the best inexpensive brand of canned octopus easily found in the States. There is a Spanish brand that's better and still findable, but is considerably pricier.

I only did this once, mainly because I like it fresh but I did scunnigilli (Conch), scallops and Octopus in the dehydrator mixed with NE clam chowder and it hydrated great an tasted better.

:banana

astrogirl
04-07-2008, 13:15
I don't like marshmallows, but I had a fluffernutter last night. Fluff is fat free, and therefore health food.

Ha. Because that blast of sugar is so healthful? :D

Fluff is lacto-ovo vegetarian (egg whites) and is not really made of marshmallow. Marshmallows contain gelatin and are not vegetarian in any sense. Fluff is more like a thin vanilla nougat than like a marshmallow.

So, it's perfectly rational to like fluff but not marshmallows. They are not the same thing, only similar.

mudhead
04-07-2008, 17:25
Ha. So, it's perfectly rational to like fluff

That's the part I like. Rational. Weeee!

astrogirl
04-07-2008, 18:01
That's the part I like. Rational. Weeee!

Thank you for noticing my humor. Also acceptable would be "I saw what you did there." :D

d'shadow
04-09-2008, 00:07
[quote=Pennsylvania Rose;586003]Can't be just any ketchup - has to be Heinz. No Hunt's for this Pgh native!

Agreed, there is no other ketchup..:p

Only really gross food to me is herring, being of Northern European extract...well, my grandmother served it often...yuck....

Nearly Normal
04-09-2008, 01:39
Having lived all over the southeast I have been exposed to cooking from La to Va. But nothing prepared me for the scrapple I once ate in Pa.
That dish convinced me that yankees have no right to meanmouth southern cooking.
Pa did impress me with it's neat farms and fat cows.

trailangelmary
04-09-2008, 03:14
Having lived all over the southeast I have been exposed to cooking from La to Va. But nothing prepared me for the scrapple I once ate in Pa.
That dish convinced me that yankees have no right to meanmouth southern cooking.
Sorry you didn't like scrapple, Nearly Normal.. However, I like scrapple but it has to be cooked properly and the source has to be right. Not all scrapple is the same. Most eat it with pancake syrup but try it fried crisp with apple butter sometime.
And I would never badmouth the south's cooking. I love it and I am from PA.

Nearly Normal
04-09-2008, 06:25
Sorry you didn't like scrapple, Nearly Normal.. However, I like scrapple but it has to be cooked properly and the source has to be right. Not all scrapple is the same. Most eat it with pancake syrup but try it fried crisp with apple butter sometime.
And I would never badmouth the south's cooking. I love it and I am from PA.

I can see that.
If grits aint fixed right they aint fit to eat either.
It's too bad yall aint part of the South. The parts I saw were as fine a farm country as I ever did see. A fellow could live fat around there.

bkrownd
04-10-2008, 16:14
Probably the most disgusting thing I see people regularly consume is ketchup. Blech! Followed by V8. I love tomatoes, but these things are blasphemous abominations. We have a few working class types at my facility and some of the things they eat are really stomach-turning. "Local" food in Hawai'i is famously awful and unhealthy, based on cheap fats, starches and empty calories.

RadioFreq
04-10-2008, 17:03
Number one on my list of most hated food to see on the trail is Mac & Cheese.
Number two on my list of most hated food to see on the trail is Mac & Cheese.

That just shows you how much I loathe it.

Hooch
04-10-2008, 18:13
Number one on my list of most hated food to see on the trail is Mac & Cheese.
Number two on my list of most hated food to see on the trail is Mac & Cheese.

That just shows you how much I loathe it.Try this (http://www.trailfoods.com/maxpatmacche.html) with a foil pack of lump crab, a good pinch of Mrs. Dash and a shot of Texas Pete. :banana Yum!

minnesotasmith
04-10-2008, 18:43
http://www.geocities.com/adams_dhanjal/recipes/archive/Rays_List_of_Weird_and_Disgusting_Foods.htm

U.S. disgusting foods listed:

Hawaii:Poi, Spam Musubi

Arctic Alaska:Blubber, Stinkheads

U.S. in general:Spam, Chewing Gum, Iceberg Lettuce, Bread, Beer, Peanut Butter

U.S. Northwest:

Geoduck Clams
U.S. West:Prairie Oysters, Fried Pork Rinds, Blood-Rare Steak, Rattlesnake

U.S. Midwest:White Castle Sliders, Jell-O Salad, Fruitcake, American Cheese Food Product, such as Velveeta, in Fried Cheese Balls, Cincinnati Greek Chili

U.S. South:Grits, Crawfish, Hog Maws And Snouts, Etc Dropped Fowl, Chicken Feet, Chitterlings, Iced Tea, Ramps, Turkey Deep-Fried Whole (Fried Everything) Chicken-Fried Steak, Dill Pickles Fried

U.S. East:Souse, Pork Loaf

U.S. Northeast:Scrapple, Cod Liver Oil, Pumpkin Pie, Raw Oysters, Lobster, Fiddlehead Ferns

Hooch
04-10-2008, 18:46
Haggis. I didn't see haggis in there anywhere.

minnesotasmith
04-10-2008, 18:57
Haggis. I didn't see haggis in there anywhere.

"Here's my list so far. What can you add? (It's arranged roughly geographically, going east from longitude 0.)

England:Warm Beer, Blood Pudding, Jellied Eels, Spotted Dick, Liver and Lights, Kidney Pie, Brawn, Bubble and Squeak, Fried Bread, Crisps with FlavorsScotland:Haggis, Irn Bru, Blood (Black) Pudding, Herring Roe, Potted Hough, Sheep's Head, Ox Tongue, Oxtail, White Puddings, PowsowdieWales:Laver Bread, Rook Pie, Lardy Cake"

mudhead
04-10-2008, 19:03
Fiddleheads are poor man's asparagus.

Nearly Normal
04-12-2008, 00:47
http://www.geocities.com/adams_dhanjal/recipes/archive/Rays_List_of_Weird_and_Disgusting_Foods.htm

U.S. Northwest:

Geoduck Clams

U.S. Midwest:White Castle Sliders, Jell-O Salad, Fruitcake, American Cheese Food Product, such as Velveeta, in Fried Cheese Balls, Cincinnati Greek Chili

U.S. South:Grits, Crawfish, Hog Maws And Snouts, Etc Dropped Fowl, Chicken Feet, Chitterlings, Iced Tea, Ramps, Turkey Deep-Fried Whole (Fried Everything) Chicken-Fried Steak, Dill Pickles Fried

U.S. Northeast:Scrapple, Cod Liver Oil, Pumpkin Pie, Raw Oysters, Lobster, Fiddlehead Ferns

You are well traveled to have eaten everything from Blubber to chicken feet.
To add beer to the list is just wrong.

ki0eh
04-13-2008, 18:58
Probably the most disgusting thing I see people regularly consume is ketchup. Blech!

My 5yo said she got into an argument with a fellow daycare denizen who insisted ketchup is made from mud, not tomatoes.

When she told us this story my wife grabbed a box of Good & Plenty (the oldest branded candy in the USA http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/goodandplenty.asp currently made in Memphis, Tenn.) and explained that the pink ones got their pink color from bugs! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine

Feral Bill
04-13-2008, 22:46
You are well traveled to have eaten everything from Blubber to chicken feet.
To add beer to the list is just wrong.

I imagine he's refering to basic cheap American beer, not the designer stuff or imports.

ki0eh
04-14-2008, 08:25

I picked up the habit of adding black pepper to it. Yum! (Don't do it to someone else's or serve it that way though... :eek: )

mudhead
04-14-2008, 08:30
I eat alot of things now that did not appeal to me 25yrs ago.
Cottage cheese is one of them.

And don't consume other things.

Alligator
04-14-2008, 08:36
I eat alot of things now that did not appeal to me 25yrs ago.
Cottage cheese is one of them.

And don't consume other things.Keep an eye on the sodium if you are eating it for health reasons.

mudhead
04-14-2008, 08:46
Cabot's is reasonable. Sodium is hard to avoid in prepared food.

I do avoid prepared food when I can.

Now if I could lose the dang sweettooth. Or put it in it's box for awhile.

darkage
04-15-2008, 12:02
If its imported beer, its not really american is it ...

Real beer ... http://www.yuengling.com/beers.htm

But since were on Nasty foods i got one i'm not too proud of and unsure how it happened ...

But i had a sealable bag full of powdered milk ... the wife liked the bags and insteed of carrying around the bulky can of similac "baby formula" .. she thought she'd toss some in a bag and apparently put it on the counter next to my bag of dried milk ...

Anyway, i had similac with my cereal ... "no, i didn't eat it" ..

saimyoji
04-15-2008, 13:12
Keep an eye on the sodium if you are eating it for health reasons.

You can rinse the cottage cheese in a wire mesh strainer and reduce much of the sodium.

Alligator
04-16-2008, 10:38
This one has hiking overtones. A few days ago, I was rearranging the dry goods in the basement. I have about 1/2 a shelf where I keep a couple of mixers and a four bottle wine rack. Anyway, there was a 20 oz bottle of what looked like ginger ale sitting there but it wasn't quite full. I remembered it vaguely as probably triple sec. It had been in clear view for a while, so I put it in the wine rack.

Fast forward two days and my wife is feeling ill, stomach unsettled and throwing up some. She went to bed early, I retired later in the evening. In the deep of the night she gets up out of bed. I fall back into a deep, sound sleep. About an hour later (it must have been about 2-3 o'clock in the morning) she storms into the room shouting, "What did you put in the ginger ale bottle." Mind you, I could barely get my lips to move I was out cold. All I could mumble was "alcohol".

"DID YOU PUT STOVE FUEL IN IT?"

Still groggy I say "NO." I then went back to bed. It seems she was looking for something to settle her stomach:o.

Now, the stove fuel is clearly labeled in a Sprite bottle on a different wall away from the dry goods. In my defense, I did not transfer the triple sec into the ginger ale bottle, it was one of her friends. But I did relable the triple sec yesterday while in the basement:p.

mudhead
04-16-2008, 10:45
That is good reading.

People with kids should reread it.

Had another fluffernutter last night. Wicked tasty.

SteveJ
04-16-2008, 11:28
This one has hiking overtones.

This one has no hiking overtones at all....

When my youngest was a toddler, he was in the habit of having a bottle of apple juice before bed. One night my wife had a committment, and I had bedtime coverage. I made his bottle, took him upstairs to read, and gave him his bottle to finish while we read. He was whiny and complaining. I was not being the best dad in the world, anxious to get back to my television program. I finally took his bottle away and put him down....

When my wife got home, she picked up the bottle, looked in the refrigerator, and demanded to know why I had given Scott a margarita (left over from the weekend before) for bedtime! I had poured the left-over margarita from the weekend before in an empty apple juice container.....

RadioFreq
04-16-2008, 17:29
This one has no hiking overtones at all....

When my youngest was a toddler, he was in the habit of having a bottle of apple juice before bed. One night my wife had a committment, and I had bedtime coverage. I made his bottle, took him upstairs to read, and gave him his bottle to finish while we read. He was whiny and complaining. I was not being the best dad in the world, anxious to get back to my television program. I finally took his bottle away and put him down....

When my wife got home, she picked up the bottle, looked in the refrigerator, and demanded to know why I had given Scott a margarita (left over from the weekend before) for bedtime! I had poured the left-over margarita from the weekend before in an empty apple juice container.....

Now I'm going to be thinking of toddlers every time I hear Jimmy Buffet. :D

Il Duce
04-06-2009, 15:44
If its imported beer, its not really american is it ...

Real beer ... http://www.yuengling.com/beers.htm

Amen Brother,

Yuengling supply all the states along the A.T?

JAK
04-06-2009, 15:56
[URL]
Don't forget Dulse.

vamelungeon
04-06-2009, 16:22

U.S. Northwest:

Geoduck Clams

I like all that stuff. :p

Skyline
04-06-2009, 16:34
In Maine I had some home-dehydrated blackeyed peas that the yankees turned their noses up at. I'd even seasoned them with garlic, onions, green pepper, and seasoned pepper flakes before dehydrating.

saimyoji
04-06-2009, 17:22
I like all that stuff. :p

even this?:

http://troyandgay.com/pix/Geoduck06240520002.jpg

warrgy likes it too, its okay.

vamelungeon
04-06-2009, 18:32
even this?:

http://troyandgay.com/pix/Geoduck06240520002.jpg

warrgy likes it too, its okay.

I don't need the large economy size...

Surplusman
04-07-2009, 05:38
Next time you fry up some bacon, dump some cornmeal into the leftover grease, cook it for a few minutes, let cool slightly, and then drink the whole thing. This is called "Coosh", and was a Civil War soldier's favorite. I tried some one time and it's NOT my favorite.

I don't mind Clif bars, just the appearance of them. Their texture reminds me of critter s**t you would find in the middle of the trail.

Bon Apetit!

seedog
04-07-2009, 08:05
How about Head Cheese? YUCK !

http://www.ira.usf.edu/GS/artists/paine_roxy/images/head_cheese.jpg
Look off to the left side. I see an image of Jesus.....opps no that was just the side effect of a bad tuna helper experience.

Stickbow
04-10-2009, 01:15

mmmmm

Chitlins. (not that I eat them..but they do top scrapple any day).

Stickbow
04-10-2009, 01:20
I like to put a little brandy in a pot of very, very thin grits for breakfast when it's cold and rainy.

But then, that's off topic, 'cause everyone who tried it liked it very much...

Nearly Normal
04-10-2009, 03:14
I like to put a little brandy in a pot of very, very thin grits for breakfast when it's cold and rainy.

Never tried that one.
I'm partial to shrimp gravy on my grits. I've even seen yankees eat grits that way.

leeki pole
04-10-2009, 12:05

U.S. Northwest:

Geoduck Clams

Smitty, you are not welcome in the South. I'd like my fellow WB's to chime in. I know we're the Hospitality State (bless your heart) but iced tea? That's just wrong. Ice tea and beer are the rule down here. I, for one am offended. I guess you think NASCAR is a cult as well. Hmmph.:mad:
Go eat your tofu and sushi to your heart's delight. Crawfish and grits with a cold beer is Nirvana.

randyg45
04-10-2009, 13:08
It's the floaties:p.

Brains N Eggs. Mmmm. Southerners sure know how to cook.
We used to have biscuits and gravy and eggs and bacon and such in WV for breakfast.
When she had the makings, as a special treat Granny would boil up some squirrel heads. We could then crack the backs of the skulls with a spoon, scoop out the brains, and add them to our gravy. :banana

hikingshoes
04-10-2009, 13:44
I love Brains N Eggs with gravy and(cat head) biscuits .HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

kanga
04-10-2009, 14:02
tinned octopus in sweet&sour sauce

Doctari
04-11-2009, 09:11
Quaker "Tostables" They look like PopTarts, taste like what I think dog poo must tast like. I was so disapointed, I like all the other Quaker products. Even 15 days into a section hike I could NOT swallow them, not one bite. I had bought 3 boxes of them & packed them un-tasted, a mistake I hope I don't repete, , , , ever.

I felt guilty leaving them in the hiker boxes.

Tich
05-21-2009, 16:23
LNT is a myth

You're right, of course, in the literal sense. However, I'd prefer people to at least strive towards that ideology rather than not bother. It's evident enough that too many people don't even try...

This is totally off-topic...sorry.

Engine
05-21-2009, 16:26
I love Brains N Eggs with gravy and(cat head) biscuits .HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Over 3,000 mg of cholesterol in a 2 ounce can of pork brains...not to mention the brains. YUCKKK! :p

Tich
05-21-2009, 16:54
Souse meat is loved by some, but I can't do it.

Nastiest thing I had on the trail: I dehydrated some mushrooms (but not dry enough, unknown to me). Put them in the pack and carried them for 4-5 days, looking forward to mushrooms in my spaghetti that night I open the package and the smell of those rotten mushrooms was bad enough to knock a buzzard off of a gut wagon.

HA!!!! coffee outa nose on that one...

World-Wide
05-22-2009, 01:03
Bonito flakes. (You could take these hiking, very light). I feed them to my cats, but I have heard that they are a flavoring in Japanese soups. EEW!
Even grosser than Spirulina which I used to feed to my fish, supposed to be an amazing health food.

--des

Absolutely right! Almost 75% of soups made here in Japan start out w/some type bonito based broth. But by the time they add in meats and some of the freshest vegetables you'll ever eat, there's no fishy taste what-so-ever. Their "fish-flake" aisle has as many options as we have in our cereal aisle's back home in the U.S. :)

fiddlehead
05-22-2009, 05:35
Damm, i can't find it.
But i have a picture of a menu from a restaurant in Indonesia that i ate in.

It says:

Cow Foot
Cow Brain
Cow Tongue
Cow Heart
Cow Lips
Fried Rice

I ate a lot of fried rice on that trip!

mudhead
05-22-2009, 06:08
Smitty, you are not welcome in the South. I'd like my fellow WB's to chime in. I know we're the Hospitality State (bless your heart) but iced tea? That's just wrong. Ice tea and beer are the rule down here. I, for one am offended. I guess you think NASCAR is a cult as well. Hmmph.:mad:
Go eat your tofu and sushi to your heart's delight. Crawfish and grits with a cold beer is Nirvana.

Well, don't sic him on us. Probably thinks red hot dogs are gross.

Wonder what they dice up to put in that fried rice?

Safari
05-22-2009, 06:36
Pardon me for asking (i know it's slightly off topic but i need a little educating).. what are 'grits'??? Sounds dubious, sounds like something that needs to be investigated, is it wrth getting this excited about??!:rolleyes:

J5man
05-22-2009, 06:37

I hear that is good if you go very light on the grits!

Lone Wolf
05-22-2009, 06:50
Pardon me for asking (i know it's slightly off topic but i need a little educating).. what are 'grits'???
just some bland, white paste stuff that southern redneck trailer trash eat

Safari
05-22-2009, 07:03
thanx, i'll look forward to some bland white trailer trash, it's gonna be a whole new world, what with all this glorious North American cuisine such as 'Poptarts' (whatever they are) and grits and 'Ramen noodles' (ditto) to explore and saviour while ambling down the trail in July...

J5man
05-22-2009, 07:22
just some bland, white paste stuff that southern redneck trailer trash eat

It is a bland white pastey stuff that when you add butter, cheese, salt and pepper or (garlic, bacon, etc.....) turns into a delicacy that can be served many ways, (for breakfast, for dinner as shrimp and grits, etc..) and can even be enjoyed by many socioeconomic stratas........even yankees!:D

J5man
05-22-2009, 07:24
It is a bland white pastey stuff that when you add butter, cheese, salt and pepper or (garlic, bacon, etc.....) turns into a delicacy that can be served many ways, (for breakfast, for dinner as shrimp and grits, etc..) and can even be enjoyed by many socioeconomic stratas........even yankees!:D

..........even transplanted Yankees who live in the South ;)

Jim Adams
05-22-2009, 10:29
I love anchovie paste...great on crackers.

geek

vamelungeon
05-22-2009, 10:34
Pardon me for asking (i know it's slightly off topic but i need a little educating).. what are 'grits'??? Sounds dubious, sounds like something that needs to be investigated, is it wrth getting this excited about??!:rolleyes:

Have you ever eaten hominy? Grits are ground hominy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominy

leeki pole
05-22-2009, 11:20
Well, don't sic him on us. Probably thinks red hot dogs are gross.

Wonder what they dice up to put in that fried rice?
Ah, pleasant memories of Maine Reds grilled in Baxter. Now that's some good eating.:)

Farr Away
05-22-2009, 12:53
Damm, i can't find it.
But i have a picture of a menu from a restaurant in Indonesia that i ate in.

It says:

Cow Foot
Cow Brain
Cow Tongue
Cow Heart
Cow Lips
Fried Rice

I ate a lot of fried rice on that trip!

I've eaten tongue and heart - grew up on a dairy farm - believe it or not, they're very good. The other parts - never tried them and that's fine by me, lol.

mister krabs
05-22-2009, 15:19
thanx, i'll look forward to some bland white trailer trash, it's gonna be a whole new world, what with all this glorious North American cuisine such as 'Poptarts' (whatever they are) and grits and 'Ramen noodles' (ditto) to explore and saviour while ambling down the trail in July...

Grits ~= white soft polenta.

Terraducky
05-22-2009, 15:53
Hagas is spelled "HAGGIS"

JTCruiser
05-22-2009, 15:56

mmmmm

Boiled okra (slime factor is too much).:p

Surplusman
05-22-2009, 17:51
Andrew Zimmern had that on TV a few weeks back.

How about Civit Coffee? A weasel eats coffee beans, they are partially digested, and then are pooped out. The poop is collected, the coffee beans are removed and washed, and then roasted and brewed.

That's why Starbucks tastes "different" :D

sticks&stones
05-22-2009, 18:06
potted meat

Jim Adams
05-22-2009, 18:26
potted meat

Cat food?

geek

bikebum1975
05-22-2009, 20:14

Poptarts and Ramen noodle to of my favorite things off trail to. Yeah most would say crap food but dang tasty. LOL

J5man
05-23-2009, 00:01
potted meat

If you add dill pickles and mustard, it ain't have bad!

J5man
05-23-2009, 00:02
If you add dill pickles and mustard, it ain't have bad!

.........half bad.

Phoenixdadeadhead
05-23-2009, 01:17
Tuna mixed with ramen and mustard!!!! There were four of us somewhere between Washington and Montana and WE WERE NOT LOST!!!!! we just didn't know axactly where we were lol. Anyways we gathered our remaining food together to make a meal which consisted of a pack of Ramen, a can of tuna (back then we had cans), and a few packages of tuna, Plus coffee (I used to alays have coffee lol). Talk about nasty, but it was what we needed lol.

World-Wide
05-23-2009, 04:54
My mother is from Guam so from at a very young age I've eaten some of the most unique and spicy foods around. It wasn't until I ate "Belut" when visiting never before met Aunts(7), Uncles(4) and cousins(63!) back in 2001. Belut is a fertilized nearly developed duck/chicken egg that is boiled or allowed to ferment in the ground. (had the boiled option) While it seems absolutely disgusting, it tasted pretty good with a little vinegar and salt added once the shell was broken. Disgusting to some, tastey to other's! View the appetizing morsel:

World-Wide
05-23-2009, 04:55
My mother is from Guam so from at a very young age I've eaten some of the most unique and spicy foods around. It wasn't until I ate "Belut" when visiting never before met Aunts(7), Uncles(4) and cousins(63!) back in 2001. Belut is a fertilized nearly developed duck/chicken egg that is boiled or allowed to ferment in the ground. (had the boiled option) While it seems absolutely disgusting, it tasted pretty good with a little vinegar and salt added once the shell was broken. Disgusting to some, tastey to other's! View the appetizing morsel:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Balut_Egg.jpg/180px-Balut_Egg.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/File:Balut_Egg.jpg)

Here's the morsel:

Wise Old Owl
05-23-2009, 08:14
Poor duck!

notorius tic
05-23-2009, 08:33
:banana

I'll start out relatively mild with Cream of Wheat and mustard greens. Spam got called a meat stink buy a Tree huger Veggie eater.

Tinker
05-23-2009, 08:55

--des

I tried spirulina in the '80s. Gross indeed.

A "miracle health food" that almost KILLED ME around that time was bee pollen. I had a severe allergic reaction and almost died from anaphylaxis.

Tinker
05-23-2009, 09:02

Funny what some folks think of as gross. You'd get along great with my landlord who is a good friend as well. Will not TOUCH cheese of any kind and hates the smell of the stuff. Won't eat PIZZA fer cryin' out loud!
To each his own......:rolleyes:

Btw: I NEVER hike without bringing RAISIN BAGELS with peanut butter on them (just thought I'd gross out the raisin haters :p).

Tinker
05-23-2009, 09:04
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Balut_Egg.jpg/180px-Balut_Egg.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/wiki/File:Balut_Egg.jpg)

Here's the morsel:

Glad it's early in the morning and I haven't eaten yet. :D

(Now where's the "puke" icon????).

RadioFreq
05-25-2009, 19:29
Btw: I NEVER hike without bringing RAISIN BAGELS with peanut butter on them (just thought I'd gross out the raisin haters :p).

I absolutely LOVE cinnamon raisin bagels with peanut butter. Now I'm really regretting not hooking up with you for that offer of a ride to Trail Days.

Monkeywrench
05-25-2009, 20:10
Once you've been on the trail long enough, there is no such thing as nasty food.

njchicken
05-26-2009, 21:29
Spam. It's a must

Deadeye
05-26-2009, 21:44
I made a lunch of peanut butter and bacon bits in a tortilla wrap (peanut butter and bacon is my favorite sandwich). I had an audience of a couple fellow hikers while I made it. Unfortunately, my peanut butter was in a squeeze tube, and it looked like crap on a doily. Tasty!

Tinker
05-26-2009, 23:33
I absolutely LOVE cinnamon raisin bagels with peanut butter. Now I'm really regretting not hooking up with you for that offer of a ride to Trail Days.
Maybe next year.:-?

jcazz
05-30-2009, 08:30
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/squeez-bacon.html