PDA

View Full Version : Week Long Section

Whitey9457
04-03-2008, 10:32
If you could go for a week long section (May 24-31), where would you go? Not necessarily on the AT but Preferably in the NC, VA, TN, KY, PA area?

How is the Shenandoah section of VA? How long would that take?

What about a week leading to Mt. Mitchell? Is there such a trail?

Best smokey mtns section?

Locutus
04-03-2008, 10:46
Shenandoah is 102 miles, so depending on how many miles you want to do a day, you can do the math. My father and I are taking a week to hike SNP in June.

Whitey9457
04-03-2008, 10:48
Is there any way to park your car at one end of Shenandoah and get shuttled to the other end and hike back?

Lyle
04-03-2008, 11:51
An alternative to the busy SNP would be the Sheltowhee Trace in KY. I've hiked several days north of Cumberland Falls several times and always enjoy it. Have also hiked from the TN border to Cumberland Falls and it was enjoyable, tho some road walking for brief section (at least back when I did it). Plus, if you time your hike to hit Cumberland Falls at a full moon, you may get the privilege of observing a moonbow.

Not trying to discourage you from SNP, I've also done that section numerous times and it is enjoyable. Just thought that the Sheltowhee Trace is an underutilized alternative.

Johnny Swank
04-03-2008, 12:02
You could make about a 65 mile loop hiking the AT and Iron Mountain Trail in VA IIRC.

Jaybird
04-03-2008, 12:19
If you could go for a week long section (May 24-31), where would you go? Not necessarily on the AT but Preferably in the NC, VA, TN, KY, PA area?............ETC..........?

i'd start @ Springer & head NOBO to Franklin,NC easily done in 7 days.
ENJOY!

"Jigsaw" & I will see ya'll out there Apr 26-May 10
Turk Gap,VA to Harpers Ferry,WV :D

tina.anderson
04-03-2008, 13:48
The Shenandoah section of Virginia is very nice. I would say there are several places in Virginia and North Carolina that I would go for a week long.

Nearly Normal
04-03-2008, 21:49
Foothills Trail. 76 miles.
No crowds or shelter sharks. Plenty of hills.
Leave only footprints.
Finish at Oconee State Park for the parking and facilities.
Probably one of the nicest underhiked trails in the Southeast.
Unforgetable River section.

e-doc
04-03-2008, 23:58
My secret long planned loop in SW NC, about 62 miles.

Grinder
04-04-2008, 08:09
Just a little Caveat Emptor here.

Be aware that miles per day is a very personal thing.

Last year, polling this group, I planned on hiking from Springer to Dick's Creek gap.(63 miles)

Turns out, the trail kicked my A**.

The best advice I got, in retrospect, was from Jessebrent. He said "just start. There's lots of road crossings to bail out if you need to.

As it turned out, I went 32 miles or so in five days and called it quits at Neel's Gap. It was a good experience instead of a death march.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Blissful
04-04-2008, 11:58
Shenandoah is pretty easy with a good trail. Will take a week. But you will have company then for sure.

Best Smoky Mtn section on the AT (IMO) is Clingmans Dome to Davenport Gap. But again, lots of people and need reservations for the shelters.

wilconow
04-04-2008, 12:05
Just a little Caveat Emptor here.

Be aware that miles per day is a very personal thing.

Last year, polling this group, I planned on hiking from Springer to Dick's Creek gap.(63 miles)

Turns out, the trail kicked my A**.

The best advice I got, in retrospect, was from Jessebrent. He said "just start. There's lots of road crossings to bail out if you need to.

As it turned out, I went 32 miles or so in five days and called it quits at Neel's Gap. It was a good experience instead of a death march.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Of course miles per day is a very personal thing. That's why it's important to include level of experience, fitness level, etc in the question

Whitey9457
04-04-2008, 12:16
I'm not extremely experienced with back packing but i've been hiking all my life and don't think there's much that i can't do. Me and my friend who will be coming with me are both 23 and in good shape and looking for a challenge preferably with some nice peaks in there. He gave me these 3 options and because I don't know the areas I have no clue where they are but maybe someone could tell me where and why i should/shouldn't do them. thanks

1. Smokies to Lynnville Gorge to Mt. Pisgah to Mt. Mitchell
2. Smokies to Cumberland Gap (Seneca Rock and Cranberry Lane) to Red River Gorge
3. Seneca Rocks to Daloy Sads to White River Gorge

I like option 1 the best just because it includes mitchell but he likes the 2nd two because he said there are nice climbing spots around the gorges (although i told him i doubt he's going to want to carry the equipment)