PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong?

EMAN
04-03-2008, 13:09
Doing a section of the BMT the end of April. I have ordered a BMT Data book. It hasn't been real long now but still, I wrote yesterday I guess about the status of the order and have heard nada.
I only mention this because in our planning of this hike, I wrote them regarding a possible shuttle and have still yet to hear from anyone at the BMT website.
Is it a occasionally manned site only?
Does anyone have any suggestions on acquiring a copy of the data book? Does anyone have one they might loan in case mine doesn't get here?
Thanks folks.

envirodiver
04-03-2008, 13:12
Eman I have a databook, but even better Sgt Rock put together an excellent guide that is at least as good as the BMTA book IMO. If you'll PM me your e-mail address I'll e-mail you Sgt Rocks version.

What section of the BMT are you planning to hike?

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 13:13
Your not doing anything wrong, the BMTA is having issues. I would love to help you out. Tell me what you need and I will help. I can give you a copy of the databook or a copy of my upcoming thru-hiker's guide to the BMT, and I may be able to figure out who is a good shuttle for you or even do it myself.

EMAN
04-03-2008, 14:13
Thanks guys. I do have the NG map #781 which should help. I reckon the trail is the ultimate issue but I just sort of wanted a guide of some sort. My last trip on the BMT was one of occasional...."Uh...where the hell am I?".
Rock...FYI, I called Deal's Gap when I saw on their forum that you had had a conversation with them. They were quite firm in saying they had never provided rides and didn't want to now. Weren't nasty, just firm.
We are going to start at/near Deal's Gap and hike over towards Hiwassee. At this point, we may have a shuttle but I appreciate the offer.
And like I say, I do have a copy of the data book ordered but, especially now, I reckon I'm a bit apprehensive about actually receiving one.
Ewker had sent me Rock's version but it would download to about Pg. 47 and jam up.
I wil forward my e-mail to y'all and again, thank you very much.

SGT Rock
04-03-2008, 15:03
I got your PMs EMAN, I understand about the problem downloading. I am currently updating some of the guidebook sections since I've got nothing better to do. Deals Gap does not do shuttles, but there is a person in Bryson City that does shuttles as well as the NOC and the Fontanna Outfitter which can also do some in the area. Hiwassee is actually an easy drive from my house and is actually easier to get to because of where it is than Deals Gap is.

I'll e-mail you the current version of the guidebook formated for the web. I also have a version of the same file set up for printing as an entire book, but I think you only need the section you intend to walk.