PDA

View Full Version : What is a "true" thruhike?

One Leg
01-28-2004, 13:15
I recently witnessed a discussion among hikers regarding the 'true definition' of a thruhike. One said that a thruhike was from Georgia to Maine. The other said that a flip-flop was acceptable as a thruhike, to which the other disagreed.
The reason I am so interested in this is due to my own decision to hike a flip-flop. I had originally intended an end to end hike. But after consulting with Bill Irwin, I made the decision to flip flop.
I phoned the ATC this morning and spoke with Laurie Potteiger, who told me that the ATC makes no distinction as to whether a 2,000 miler takes 3 months, 30 years, hiked north to south, south to north, flip-flop, or whatever. She did, however, tell me that they kept a database of thruhikers, and which direction the thruhiker chose. (Ie: NOBO, SOBO, Flip-Flop, Section)
So, I guess my question is this: In your opinion, is hiking a flip-flop a "thru-hike"? To me, it seems like splitting hairs to make a distinction as to what mode a hiker chooses, as long as no length is taken off of the total distance hiked. I'm very interested to learn your thoughts.
Scott Rogers, Amputee Hiker

Lone Wolf
01-28-2004, 13:23
Yes a flip-flop is a thru-hike. Go out and have fun. Don't listen to "trail experts".

Blue Jay
01-28-2004, 13:27
Yes, and make sure you flip off the purists.

A-Train
01-28-2004, 13:54
flip flopping gives you the best of both worlds. You get the excitement of starting in the south with all the newbies and rookies and get a sense of the comraderie and possible friendship. If you start late enough you'll get wild flowers and a beautiful south.
Then you get the experience of being a sobo, having a bit more solitude (altho not too much anymore) and you get the added bonus of hiking maine and new hampshire in good hiking shape, perhaps the best you'll be in. Altho NOBO's are in great shape by time they are hiking thru maine and the wilderness their bodies are so beat up it doesn't feel good anymore. You'll still be fresh from virginia or pennsylvania or wherever. It would be especially nice to hike the wilderness in good shape but not have the need or feel to rush due to Katahdin (tho there is shaw's and monson :O)
Whatever you do, as long as it works for you, go and enjoy.
The only possible negative i could see would be to have to flip after becoming close/building a bond with other hikers and having to say goodbye, though then you get the added interest of crossing paths with everyone you met.

bearbait2k4
01-28-2004, 14:45
A true thru-hike is what you personally make of it. If people actually want to get that PC about a couple of words, then it is defined, as per Wingfoot's book (WWWD), and other official AT sites, as being an attempt to hike the trail, from Georgia to Maine, with intentions of going every mile in one seasonal year with virtually no help.

That definition is very liberal and open-ended, just as the trail is, and just as it should be. People tend to take on their own personal views and opinions on exactly what that means, which is fine, but only on a personal level. What it means to me is that there is not a difference between a thru-hiker and a long-distance hiker on the AT, if they both start out with the same goals. I'm no purist, and believe that the only reason why you honestly should walk by every single blaze on the trail is if you apply for the 2000 miler patch. Otherwise, who cares what path you take? By the end, we've all done some serious hiking through the woods.

Enjoy your hike - - it's best when completed on your own terms.

BiteBlaze
01-28-2004, 15:43
Only sissies flip flop. Only wimps go NOBO and follow spring. That's for little girls. The true AT thru-hiker starts in the north, takes on the big boulders and peaks of New England first, and finishes in winter.

gravityman
01-28-2004, 15:56
Overheard one night at a shelter "The AT is for women and childern. Now the PCT is a real trail. What? You've hiked the PCT? Well the PCT is actually really easy. The CDT is really hardcore!"

I had to laugh and laugh at that one... (it was not directed at me BTW...)

Gravity Man

Only sissies flip flop. Only wimps go NOBO and follow spring. That's for little girls. The true AT thru-hiker starts in the north, takes on the big boulders and peaks of New England first, and finishes in winter.

tarbubble
01-28-2004, 16:01
Overheard one night at a shelter "The AT is for women and childern. Now the PCT is a real trail. What? You've hiked the PCT? Well the PCT is actually really easy. The CDT is really hardcore!"

I had to laugh and laugh at that one... (it was not directed at me BTW...)

Gravity Manthat is pretty funny, since i am a woman and i have done short sections of the PCT carrying my son on my back (he's not quite 2 yet). we'll thru it in a few years, and my son will still be a child. :D

Peaks
01-28-2004, 16:54
Laurie at ATC was referring to the 2000 miler distinction. As she told you, they don't distinguish between north bound, south bound, one trip or several trips, one year or several years etc.

But, most importantly, a thru-hike should be as you define it. And if you want to do a flip flop, or a leap frog, or some thing else, then just do it.

Now, if you want to be a purist...., well, let's not go there with this thread.

TJ aka Teej
01-28-2004, 17:01
To me, it seems like splitting hairs to make a distinction as to what mode a hiker chooses, as long as no length is taken off of the total distance hiked.
I agree with you. :D

TJ aka Teej
01-28-2004, 17:22
it is defined, as per Wingfoot's book (WWWD), and other official AT sites, as being an attempt to hike the trail, from Georgia to Maine, with intentions of going every mile in one seasonal year with virtually no help.
I know that isn't what the ATC says about the matter.
Who told you Wingy's page was "official"?

Lone Wolf
01-28-2004, 17:30
Wingy also says only "real thru-hikers" hike the approach trail to Springer. It is THE traditional way. He said that today on his site.

warren doyle
01-28-2004, 17:58
Scott,
My definition of a thru-hike:
1)
A thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail: Walking (or running) the trail and being able to complete it in one stretch without any substantive breaks (not totalling more than what the actual hike takes). Changes in direction or pack weight do not matter. Self-propelled movement with feet repeatedly touching the ground does.
2)
A thru-hike of the entire Appalachian Trail: Same as above but with a conscious and honest effort to follow the white blazes as closely as possible the entire distance.

A-Train
01-28-2004, 18:53
[QUOTE=L. Wolf]Wingy also says only "real thru-hikers" hike the approach trail to Springer. It is THE traditional way. He said that today on his site.[/QUOTE

Funny, I guess i'm not a real thru-hiker then. And to think a NOT real thru-hiker was giving so much information and advice on his site!

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2004, 20:05
Scott---

Not everyone goes from Georgia to Maine or Maine to Georgia in one continuous journey. A flip-flop hike of the entire Trail, however you do
it, is absolutely an A.T. thru-hike, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

bearbait2k4
01-29-2004, 01:32
I didn't mention Wingfoot's web page as an official page, I simply mentioned his book's definition, because he seems to be one to have problems with people deviating from black and white, and actually, there is no true thru-hike definition on the ATC page, that I can find, especially due to direction, so hike on!

One Leg
01-29-2004, 02:57
I thank each and every one of you who took time out of your day to respond to my initial question. Your insight has been truly helpful to me, and I very much appreciate your input on the subject. You guys are a great bunch of people, and I consider it an honor to be in this group.
Sincerely yours,

Brushy Sage
01-29-2004, 10:01
Scott, thank you for starting this thread. My son and frequent hiking partner, Patco, has suggested that I share my affirmation. I hesitated, because it is somewhat personal, but I think it belongs here in this category.

After experiencing two tours in Vietnam as an Army chaplain, and two marriages that ended in divorce, I decided at age 72 to go on the AT. This is the affirmation I wrote as part of my preparation:

I'm free to live a peaceful life;
I'm through with war and all its strife.

I'm free to learn in nature's schools,
Where there are no religious rules.

I'm free to love, with heart that sings,
Though there may be no wedding rings.

And in the spirit of self-worth,
I embrace Heaven and the Earth.

I'm going to the mountain heights,
To seek that wondrous healing Light.

I'll start in Georgia, walk toward Maine,
To find my inner truth again.

Although I didn't go the full distance (managed 618 mi), my time on the AT with the north bound community had all the other dimensions of a personal thru hike, and was a life changing experience.

One Leg
01-29-2004, 14:33
Brushy Sage:
I guess my hike is, in a sense, about proving to myself just exactly what I can do. I heard about the AT when I was a little boy. Our family vacations were always carbon-copy: We'd go to Cherokee, NC, and we always stayed at the 441-Motel. Back in the 70's, we didn't have the worry that we face in today's world. Our parents didn't have the concern that some stranger would snatch us away, never to be seen again. With that in mind, my parents would often drop me off in town, and they'd go away for the day. You see, I made friends with some of the local kids, and I was as much a part of their family as they were mine. We'd go hiking out in the woods, over the mountains, and the love for hiking was instilled in me. During one such vacation, a friend told me of the Appalachian Trail, and I have forever been wanting to hike it.
In later years, I got married, became a father, and responsibilities began to take precedence over my wants. Soon, the dream was all but a distant memory. Then, the inevitable happened: I got shot, and my leg was gone. Gone too was my career that I'd worked so hard at, and loved so dearly.
As my recovery progressed, I began thinking about the things that I'd always wanted to do, and the A.T. was first and foremost in my mind.
My brother has a friend who's employed by North Carolina Outward Bound. He was the only one I knew to consult regarding how to go about planning for the A.T. The response I received from him was extremely negative. "Humor me," I told him. He eventually told me to get some 'practice hikes' under my belt. "But," he concluded, "you'll never make it." This was 2 years ago. 2 years have gone into my planning and preparation for the AT.
When I began pondering this, I had no clue that no other amputee had thruhiked the trail before, I had no idea that I would be a 'first'. The makers of my prosthetic leg learned of what I was doing, and issued a press release about my upcoming attempt. I was interviewed by an AP reporter, and that story was circulated nationwide. I began receiving emails from people who were encouraging, and some were discouraging. One guy wrote me "While I admire your courge and tenacity regarding your attempt, I feel that it is physically impossible for you to accomplish your goal. You should quit while you're ahead." Needless to say, all that did was add fuel to my fire. I responded to him with "I appreciate your comments. However, I fail to comprehend how you've arrived at the conclusion that it's physically impossible for me to achieve my goal. What I am attempting is something that's never been done before. Therefore, it's difficult to provide any statistical information. However, at least I am willing to try. I'd rather try and fail than to never have tried at all."
I'm not entering this attempt with failure in mind. I've been asked how many miles I intend to cover in a day, and that's one question that's impossible to answer. For me, if I've done my best, hiked to be best of my ability, then I have nothing to be ashamed of at the end of the day, regardless of how many or few miles that I've covered. This is about proving to myself that "Yes, Scott, you CAN do it."
Sorry if I got a little too personal here, Brushy, but I felt like sharing that with you.
Be God's,

Brushy Sage
01-29-2004, 15:38
Brushy Sage:
I guess my hike is, in a sense, about proving to myself just exactly what I can do. I heard about the AT when I was a little boy. Our family vacations were always carbon-copy: We'd go to Cherokee, NC, and we always stayed at the 441-Motel. Back in the 70's, we didn't have the worry that we face in today's world. Our parents didn't have the concern that some stranger would snatch us away, never to be seen again. With that in mind, my parents would often drop me off in town, and they'd go away for the day. You see, I made friends with some of the local kids, and I was as much a part of their family as they were mine. We'd go hiking out in the woods, over the mountains, and the love for hiking was instilled in me. During one such vacation, a friend told me of the Appalachian Trail, and I have forever been wanting to hike it.
In later years, I got married, became a father, and responsibilities began to take precedence over my wants. Soon, the dream was all but a distant memory. Then, the inevitable happened: I got shot, and my leg was gone. Gone too was my career that I'd worked so hard at, and loved so dearly.
As my recovery progressed, I began thinking about the things that I'd always wanted to do, and the A.T. was first and foremost in my mind.
My brother has a friend who's employed by North Carolina Outward Bound. He was the only one I knew to consult regarding how to go about planning for the A.T. The response I received from him was extremely negative. "Humor me," I told him. He eventually told me to get some 'practice hikes' under my belt. "But," he concluded, "you'll never make it." This was 2 years ago. 2 years have gone into my planning and preparation for the AT.
When I began pondering this, I had no clue that no other amputee had thruhiked the trail before, I had no idea that I would be a 'first'. The makers of my prosthetic leg learned of what I was doing, and issued a press release about my upcoming attempt. I was interviewed by an AP reporter, and that story was circulated nationwide. I began receiving emails from people who were encouraging, and some were discouraging. One guy wrote me "While I admire your courge and tenacity regarding your attempt, I feel that it is physically impossible for you to accomplish your goal. You should quit while you're ahead." Needless to say, all that did was add fuel to my fire. I responded to him with "I appreciate your comments. However, I fail to comprehend how you've arrived at the conclusion that it's physically impossible for me to achieve my goal. What I am attempting is something that's never been done before. Therefore, it's difficult to provide any statistical information. However, at least I am willing to try. I'd rather try and fail than to never have tried at all."
I'm not entering this attempt with failure in mind. I've been asked how many miles I intend to cover in a day, and that's one question that's impossible to answer. For me, if I've done my best, hiked to be best of my ability, then I have nothing to be ashamed of at the end of the day, regardless of how many or few miles that I've covered. This is about proving to myself that "Yes, Scott, you CAN do it."
Sorry if I got a little too personal here, Brushy, but I felt like sharing that with you.
Be God's,

I think you will astound a lot of people! I look forward to hearing about it! Are you going this year?

One Leg
01-29-2004, 16:17
I think you will astound a lot of people! I look forward to hearing about it! Are you going this year?
Monday, March 22nd

Spirit Walker
01-29-2004, 17:27
I think you will make it. The most important ingredient for a thruhike is the strong desire to do it. A lot of people who seemed unlikely thruhikers have done the trail, some multiple times. Bob Barker did it on crutches. Someone who had no stomach hiked the trail. Bill Irwin did it while legally blind. Folks in their 70's have thruhiked. I know of someone who walked across the country, though she was legally blind and on dialysis. After her foot was amputated, she continued in a wheelchair. There are undoubtedly many others I don't know about, who were told, "It's impossible" and they proved the naysayers wrong. It won't be easy, but then, it is rarely easy to do a long hike. I wish you well.

When we did the CDT, several people told us that we should do the trail in two years because we weren't young fast big mileage hikers. We decided to give it a try anyhow and just go as far as we could until and unless winter stopped us. We lived with the snow and cold of autumn in Colorado, but kept on hiking, finishing six months after we started. It is fun to remember the people who said we weren't strong enough to do it in one go. Did we have doubts - yes, of course we did, especially at the start when everything seemed to be going wrong - but because we so very much wanted to keep going, we did. And, one step at a time, we finished.

Rain Man
01-29-2004, 19:54

Scott,

Heck no! Not too personal at all. We're all pulling for you!!! As I've heard Bill Irwin speak of his thru-hike while totally blind, I've got confidence you can do it.

But no matter how many miles you complete, I'd say you've done more than 99.999% of folks in better physical shape.

I hope my daughter runs into you out there. I'll tell her about you.

Rain Man

smokymtnsteve
01-29-2004, 21:00
FAREWELL TO CIVILIZATION

I go to dwell in the wilderness, not as one fleeing or hiding but that I may realize in mature age , a dream of youth. Here in the wild wood, I shall find a peace,cleanliness, health of body and mind. Here I can live the natural life, unfettered and unindebted. Here duty itself is pliant to any breath of fancy that may stir the buds and foilage of thought.

Horace Kephart

Patco
01-29-2004, 21:36
Here in the wild wood, I shall find a peace,cleanliness, health of body and mind. Here I can live the natural life,

He must not be one of those "beer and pizza" hikers - or has he not yet arrived at Partnership Shelter and found the pay phone. Hey, there's something out there for just about everyone. While some are fighting the hardest physical and emotional battles of their life by attempting to hike one more day, others are sleeping in until 10, then hiking 15 miles, taking a nap and then hiking another 8 before dinner. And they feel great and say "no problem", "it was nothing", "I'm going for 28 miles tomorrow to get to the post office before it closes." (most of those are under 40) Some wish to stop and enjoy a break by a small stream while others speed passed it enjoying their target heart rate. Some eat a Poptart for breakfast while others have dehydrated eggs, tortilla and coffee. Always boils down to; I'll do what I can do in the manner I chose and you do what you can do in the manner you choose, and, instead of judging each other, we'll remember that this is the United States of America and we have freedom to hike our own hike. God bless America and places like the AT.
:cool:

smokymtnsteve
01-29-2004, 21:59
Horace liked his corn likker..I'm not sure about the beer and pizza.

smokymtnsteve
01-30-2004, 00:18
you ever hear of horace kephart before patco?

Patco
01-30-2004, 01:07
Just a little - about how he was instrumental in getting the Great Smokey Park designated, writer and naturalist - but that's about it. I just used his quote to make a contrast in the various types of people encountered along the AT. Do you consider him among the ranks of John Muir or Henry David Thoreau, or more like the local explorers Elisha Mitchell and Thomas Clingman? Maybe not good examples - Horace may be in a class of his own.

smokymtnsteve
01-30-2004, 09:44
he liked to drink he died in a taxi accident on the way to a bootlegger

steve hiker
01-30-2004, 13:23
There is only ONE WAY to hike the holy path.

Stray from the straight and narrow and face eternal damnation!