PDA

View Full Version : does a Gatorade bottle melt?

karoberts
04-03-2008, 20:27
Okay, I totally get that a Gatorade bottle is way lighter than a Nalgene, but I do not carry a cup and a need something that will hold boiling water without melting away. Aside from hot drinks, I also use a bottle with boiling water in my sleeping bag on cold nights. So my question is, does a Gatorade bottle melt?

jersey joe
04-03-2008, 20:33
I'm not a big fan of putting boiling water in any plastic container if i can help it. Especially not plastic not specifically made for heat.

Skidsteer
04-03-2008, 20:33
Melt is such an ugly word.

Pouring very hot water into a Gatorade bottle, however, is not a good idea.

Wrong kind of plastic.

Appalachian Tater
04-03-2008, 20:36
For hot drinks, you can use your pot or you can get a lightweight plastic camping cup or get one from an old Thermos. A junky thrift shop may have a couple.

Tinker
04-03-2008, 21:02
You probably shouldn't put boiling water into plastic containers because of the chemicals that could be released. It also tends to make some plastics brittle. You can, however, put some cold water into a plastic container and top it off with boiling water if you want to put it into your sleeping bag to help keep you warm. I've done it with a Nalgene Unbottle on several occasions. It also makes a nice hot water bottle.

Egads
04-03-2008, 21:25
There are 2 types of Gatorade bottles.

There is a cold fill bottle which is very thin and is recognizable by the twist "Cowboy" hat top. This bottle will melt and deform with hot water.

There is a hot fill bottle which is much thicker and is a non-squeeze bottle. These bottles are filled with Gatorade at ~204-205*. These bottles will accept several cycles of hot fill before they deform.

Recent research has indicated that some plastics such as Nalgene bottles leach chemicals into the solvent (water or your drink)

I've done it and I'll continue to do it.

Post #400 - hope it makes sense

Egads

Doctari
04-03-2008, 21:37
When put near a fire, that your hiking partner stokes just as you look away, a Gatorade bottle will melt. :p Mine went into a really neat shape.

But I have put boiling water into mine, many times, that has never melted it. I change bottles every trip, & sometimes mid trip if I get the chance. No reason for it, I just do. I lived near a factory that made the main RADIOACTIVE ingredient for A Bombs, a Government run factory & all the goodness & care that implies :rolleyes:. I'm no longer worried about chemicles leachin into my water.

Wise Old Owl
04-03-2008, 22:09
I use a Gatorade bottle for hydrating pasta's and they accept hot water, Egad's is correct and the system works. No deformity of the plastic, even when using a neoprene cozy.

88BlueGT
04-03-2008, 22:51
I've never tried to put boiling water into a gatorade bottle but from what I hear from everyone, like posted above, the answer is no.

tdilf
04-07-2008, 12:58
I use the "thin plastic", 15oz gatoraid type bottle every trip. I think my current one is a minute maid orange juice bottle. I only use it when drinking hot beverage and I have never had a problem. They just don't hold the heat very long because they are not thermal - not a problem for me. A full hot bottle is also nice to keep in your jacket, on a cold night, while eating dinner.

atraildreamer
04-09-2008, 13:05
I lived near a factory that made the main RADIOACTIVE ingredient for A Bombs, a Government run factory & all the goodness & care that implies :rolleyes:. I'm no longer worried about chemicles leachin into my water.

And that healthy, green glow around you saves the hassle of using a flashlight and/or headlamp at night! :eek:

SGT Rock
04-09-2008, 13:05
I put hot water in a Gatorade bottle a few times. It still worked.