PDA

View Full Version : High Tatras - Slovakia

Pabst
01-28-2004, 14:50
I'm going for a Eastern European Trip in May.
We have 4 days of backpacking/hiking in the "High Tatras" in Slovakia planned.

Has anyone done any Backpacking there?

Here's a cool link with lots of picuteres if anyone is interested - The Tatra Mountains Virtual Tour (http://www.cs.put.poznan.pl/holidays/tatry/)

Israel
01-29-2004, 01:09
It has been quite a while since I have been there but I have been through the Tatras. When I was there Slovakia was still joined with the Czech side. The mountains are really beautiful and I liked the high mountain huts. The lower elevation ones are basically traveler hotels. I stayed on the slovakia side though I hiked basically along the border with Poland. You should have a good time. I would try to get more than 4 days if you can...unless you are going to some other ranges as well. The people were very friendly and the views wonderful. The only thing I remember was that there was so much damage from industry that it exposed you to a lot of UV when up high so they really pushed making sure you wore a lot of sunscreen.
It's been a while since I have been out that way but I have great memories (and pictures!) of my time there. The huts at that time were like $2 a night for a bunk bed and great food. I looked through the website you posted and it makes me want to go back there. I even found some of the huts I stayed in. One if them can be found here: http://www.cs.put.poznan.pl/holidays/tatry/mhuts/shut08.html

It is a beautiful place.

Pabst
01-29-2004, 10:43
Thanks Isreal

My wife is from Kosice, Slovakia ( been in US for about 3 year) so we will be spending some time there. Fortunate for us she speaks , Slovak, Hungarian & Czech. And she has Lots of family & friends in Praha, Budapest, & Kosice

Our trip intererary goes as this:

-Charlotte to Munich to Prague
-2 days in Prauge, Czech
-Train from Prague to Kosice
-3 days in Kosice, Slovakia
-Drive to High Tatras, Slovakia (backpacking for 4 days) :banana
-Back to Kosice for 1 more day
-Drive to Budepest the next day spend 2 days there
-Back to Kosice for 1 more day
-Next day Fly from Kosice to Prague to Munich to Charlotte, NC (That's going to be a long flight) :datz

Pabst
01-29-2004, 10:52
Any advice to packing my backpack for an International Trip. I was going put everything in its stuff sack, and put it all in a duffle bag.

What Items not to take on the plane? Duh :datz

Should I mail some items?

What Items should I buy there?

Will they have Propane/Butane mix cannisters or should I bring my alcohol stove instead? Will they have alcohol? I know it is the 21st century, but they don't have stores like we do on every corner. I guess I'll have to do some research or contact some some friends in Slovakia about outfitters.

Israel
01-29-2004, 13:00
Do you need someone to help you enjoy the views to tag along?? That sounds like a great itenerary. Have you been there before? You will like Praha and Budapest. Great cities, at least when I was last there. Be sure to check out some of the bath houses in Budapest. We found one that was simply amazing...older than old, ivy covered walls, it was great.

I traveled partially with my sister who also speaks Czech and some slovak (plus about 7 others fluently) so when I was with her it was easy to get around. When I went to the tatras I was on my own and this was before many americans went out that way. Needless to say it was interesting hiking through mountains and not being able to really speak to much of anyone. I smiled and nodded and pointed a lot. :) You will have a great time with a fluent speaker to help you.

As far as logistics, I would really try to find someone with more recent knowledge of the supply situation. I went to Czech and Slovakia several times to travel, the first being right after their independence. The rapid change of things after that leaves me to wonder what it is like now. I am not up to date enough to comment on availability of fuel. When I was there butane was everywhere though I really never used my stove much. Most of the high mountain huts actually have some form of food service, at a minimum they had big butane cook stoves available for hikers to use. In preparing my pack for international travel, I have usually just tightened down all harness systems and loose straps. Failing to do this runs the risk of the conveyor equipment ripping your backpack. If you can find a large duffle bag to put it in that would definitely be the best. I never rented a car or anything so I had to pack my pack to go with no extras b/c I had no where to put them. SOunds like you are going to have a fun trip.

Pabst
01-29-2004, 16:57
Thanks for the info Israel. Sounds like you had a great trip yourself and at a time when Czech and SLovak Republics were undistrubed or poisoned by western influences .......well some what.

From what I hear the new sections of the cities outside of the historic districts are like any other major european metropolitan area.

I haven't been before.....first time off the east coast of US actually, and if you can imagine, I've never seen a Mountian taller than Mt Mitchell. So I'm sure it's going to be a breath taking experience.

Other reason for the trip/visit is that we may move to one of those cities, the wife is finishing up her MBA in Oct 05. We both have very high stress jobs right now and are trying to save every last dime we can. I'm going on my first Thru-Hike in March of 05 and when I finish.....we both will be looking for a much simpler life......and we know we can have that there. :)